Bill Clinton: 'Monica Lewinsky affair was dealt with correctly'

webfact

Bill Clinton: 'Monica Lewinsky affair was dealt with correctly'

Bill Clinton says he would not respond any differently today to reports of his affair with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky than he did in 1998.

"If the facts were the same today, I wouldn't," the former US president told NBC's Today programme.

When asked if, in light of the #MeToo movement, he thought his handling of the scandal had been correct, he said: "I think I did the right thing."

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44360256

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-06-05
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This story was litigated to death at the time and I am always wary of using today's social mores as a guide to past events.

That said, it is hard not to see the power differentials in a relationship between the President of the United States and an intern. At the time, and still to this day, it seems like he used his office/position to improperly enjoy a few BJs on the side.

There are many who like Clinton and feel he was a very good President; I can't and won't argue with either the political success or the economic success enjoyed under his watch. However, I always felt he was the kind of guy who would screw his best friend's wife, not because he was attracted to her but simply because he could; I am not particularly fond of people like that...

Perhaps it is time for Clinton to stop talking publicly; he had his time in the sun and now it is time to seek some shade...

I guess his Presidency was a bit of a watershed and indicative of changes in societies moral perceptions. 

At one time to be linked openly in an extra marital affair would have meant resignation and shunning for a politician. The fact loads were "at it" but kept it well hidden, often with the connivance of the press of the time, was not relevant. If you couldn't keep that secret you couldn't be trusted with high office mentality.

More importantly openly lying to the government and public would have certainly been the death knell for a politician when caught. But he had no thoughts of resignation, seemingly no moral compass, and got away with it.

That change phenomena is world wide and as we've seen the current crop of political elites, across the world, leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe it always did, but was just better hidden. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodney earl said:

What a joke. If it was dealt with correctly he would not be able to make a deal and get out of it basically scott free, let along all of the other crimes that he had committed.!!

PLEASE!

Just wait until the  pardons are completed for a "person who has done no wrong".