TM30 trouble in Khon Kaen

6 hours ago, paulsingle said:

Got 2 licences today. 1 for motorbike and 1 for car. Valid for 2 years after which some minor formalities will secure 5 year licences and after that more minor formalities to secure indefinite licences.

I believe this is the standard route for Thai nationals as well. It is for my Thai wife anyway.

They stopped the indefinite DL about 20 years ago. I was lucky, I got in before then,

47 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As you'll find out, no.

You will not get an indefinite license. Certain tests will be required.

29 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Sure. But regarding costs, days to do, etc etc. I've experienced different to the OP. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a lifetime licence.  Not likely, but not impossible. Good luck if he can somehow swing it. I'd pay a few thousand tip for it.  But for now I'm happy with IDP. I wonder if police ever check out or even have the ability to check the validity of licences.  Probably a few fakes around.

Not only not likely, but impossible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stud858 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a lifetime licence.  Not likely, but not impossible.

For a second time, they no longer issue lifetime licences.

5 years now with updated photo and basic tests, reaction time, colour blindness, peripheral vision, distance awareness, and in some cases a video are required.

• Like 2