Cured of drinking Chateau Chunder.

stoutfella

i used to get a thirst that could only get quelled by beer,

it happened a bit before dinner time when i knew i was going out (everyday)

and lasted until i had a buzz

today i thirst for cranberry juice, its every day almost non stop

and i can not quell the thirst with anything less than cranberry juice,

and foodland is the only place they sell it,

and they dont keep up with my demand,

so i thirst

• Haha 1

I used to buy 3lt of a French Cardbordeau for B790 that was ok to drink but that's gone and been replaced by Montclare cooking vinegar for B1,190. Hello 100 Pipers & Sangsom. The wife still likes red wine but better to buy a decent bottle for B600 to B800.

My wife and I met up with a few friends for dinner (pretty good buffet) at the Pullman in KK.  I was ficking shocked at the markup/price of the wine list (compared to price of same product back home or elsewhere not in LOS).  8 of us ploughed through 11 bottles of reasonable various reds (nothing extravagant).  Everything (if I recall) was 1500+ to 2500 for lower to middle of the road...(yes , hotel/bars have a markup...but...but)  Back home, or in neighbouring countries here, some of the exact same bottles can be bought for  $15-20

4 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Nakhon Sawan Montclare in Tesco, 3litre box 1190 baht.

Used to be 959 for 5 litres.

Price gone from193 baht per litre to 373.

Does anyone know the real reason for this almost 100% increase?

I've never seen an ordinary Thai even look at the wine display so is it a farang tax?

Last Friday I payed 995 baht for 5 l Montclare in Jomthien.

It's outrageous. I have another home in France where perfectly acceptable drinking wine can be found everywhere for 4-5€ ie no more than 200 baht a bottle. And I really object to this mxing of fruit juice with the real stuff. Sill cigarettes  are cheap still, paying 8 euros+ now in France. Swings and roundabouts?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

My wife and I met up with a few friends for dinner (pretty good buffet) at the Pullman in KK.  I was ficking shocked at the markup/price of the wine list (compared to price of same product back home or elsewhere not in LOS).  8 of us ploughed through 11 bottles of reasonable various reds (nothing extravagant).  Everything (if I recall) was 1500+ to 2500 for lower to middle of the road...(yes , hotel/bars have a markup...but...but)  Back home, or in neighbouring countries here, some of the exact same bottles can be bought for  $15-20

Yes but lets face it you were in a good 5 star hotel and you are gonna pay for that .

Did you try their lager from their own micro brewery ? very good , best beer I have tasted in Thailand and not too expensive . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, superal said:

Yes but lets face it you were in a good 5 star hotel and you are gonna pay for that .

Did you try their lager from their own micro brewery ? very good , best beer I have tasted in Thailand and not too expensive . 

Absolutely!  Honestly, after checking in, it's the first thing I do when we arrive.  The Kronen is really tasty.  We usually try to get in for a weekend once in a while, to blow the village stink off...

I was a big wine drinker in oz but over here I prefer to put Vodka in grape juice, same color. They can shove their wine tax! 

If only all farang would stop visiting the wine section things may one day in 5 years or so start to get real. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 8:00 AM, prakhonchai nick said:

Whatever price it is these days, it is unavailable in 3/4/5 litre boxes in Buriram, and Surin, and has been for most of this year. Can still be bought in overpriced bottles. I'm happy to buy if I can track it down...red preferably.

At the new prices it is unlikely that I will continue to buy the wine boxes.

I will seek alternatives.

15 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I was a big wine drinker in oz but over here I prefer to put Vodka in grape juice, same color. They can shove their wine tax! 

If only all farang would stop visiting the wine section things may one day in 5 years or so start to get real. 

I am with you, but Rum, and I don't eat with wine anymore, so it means less alcohol.

Thank you stupid retarded government.

1 hour ago, grkt said:

Or the usual Thai practise comes into play...……….lack of customers so put the price up!!

Anyway now in my 70s and enjoy my wine, so not stopping in the hope that "a retarded gov't" sees the light, in case they don't which is more than likely!!

1 hour ago, grkt said:

Thank you stupid retarded government.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...