Cracks appear in new Bali Hai Pier floor

Rimmer

Cracks appear in new Bali Hai Pier floor

image.png

PATTAYA:--Was it planned obsolescence? Shoddy workmanship? Or just poor luck? The 800 million baht Bali Hai Pier development is already showing cracks, just seven months after it was completed.

The area, once a sloppy parking lot for trailered boats, was refurbished last year as a showpiece for the November 2017 International Fleet Review. A close inspection June 1 showed the beautiful new pavements have begun to crack under the heat of the sun.

Gone are the cameras and the limelight, gone are the top naval officials from all those important countries, what’s left are the thousands of tourists pouring through the area every day on their way to Koh Larn and back again.

Day to day wear and tear seems to be taking its toll. City hall has been notified, but so far, no repairs have been forthcoming.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-06-09

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Whose got September, 2018 in the pool for the first tourist to fall through? 

I'd like that square if nobody has it yet.

Mmmmm .....  I remember seeing the cracks in the Tak dam that was widely reported in the Thai news some years ago......I reckon the dam will go before the new pier - but September seems a fair bet that somebody is gonna get an unwanted soaking.....

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, johng said:

Nothing beautiful about it at all.   just a big slab of concrete painted blue !!!!!!!!!!5ae14ff3ed1f0_P_20180408_101517(Large).jpg.7d6c7d156522e75ed8e0f5c06135168b.jpg

It was meant sarcastically that Bali Hai Park is the ugliest park ever.(with or without cracks)

Edited by Destiny1990

32 minutes ago, drgoon said:

Was it planned obsolescence? Shoddy workmanship? Or just poor luck?

My bet it will be blamed on the tourists....  

Of course it will !  The excuse will be that there were too many tourists who were walking heavily !  Or jumping up and down in frustration cos their boat hasn't arrived.

How many times after major construction the work deteriorates after a few months and is left in a state of disrepair for months afterwards . Apparently there must be no guarantee required for government  building contracts  

Typical Thai construction.  Build it as cheap as possible, then make tons of money in the repairs.  I remember when they widened 1317 her in Chiang Mai to 4 lanes.  Told the wife they'd be back inside of a year to patch the cracks and fill in the holes.  Only took 8 months. 

• Like 1

So if a really deep hole opened up and a tourist fell into it; would the tourist end up in China ?

And the blame is that Global Warming is worse than calculated because of the plastic bags in the ocean.

20 hours ago, johng said:

Huge swathe of concrete !!!

1974190534_P_20171007_142508(Large).jpg.989c73c2a36bceb914db0c40cd6af392.jpg

I don't know how that can be called a pier.  I guess they plan for the usual boring same same bunch of road side shops and stalls to be there?  What a waste of what could be a beautiful seaside area.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I don't know how that can be called a pier.  I guess they plan for the usual boring same same bunch of road side shops and stalls to be there?  What a waste of what could be a beautiful seaside area.

What a great Park is that.