Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment' - Trump

rooster59

31 minutes ago, Trouble said:

No one, not even Trump, expects to necessarily close a deal with Kim in a few hours of meetings.  What is hopeful is that some form of commitment can be made by both sides to continue to pursue an agreement which just might result in denuclearization and peace on the peninsula.  At least the old cadre of idiots in the State Department did not dissuade Trump from at least meeting with Kim face to face. Like it or not dictators of communist regimes have never abided by agreements. Trump is not going sit around in meetings playing the game diplomats play.  He a  "sh*t or get of the pot" kind of guy.  Maybe that's what is needed.  There will be nothing lost if the meeting doesn't work so why all the negativity from the anti-Trump brigade. It's quite obvious that too many of the anti-Trump brigade want this to fail.  

There's really only one way for the negotiations to succeed and that is to make guarantees that protect Kim and his high level officials from retribution in a regime change.  I don't think NK is anywhere near that realization yet.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-trump-north-korea-summit-wont-solve-anything-defector-news-2018-6

Edited by lannarebirth

Whatever trump does he will declare a win what ever agreement he gives he will break it if it suits him or someone hurts his feelings he is truly a disgrace .to you Canada my sincere apology as soon as the economy sours he will get the boot

• Thanks 2

Canadian economy has already soured because of this buffoon causing uncertainty. Really soured !

Speaking to an American businessman on this forum, he says his USA business is in "free fall". I'm guessing that he has much company and much more to come. Thanks to Mr Ego, it looks like we may very well be "on the eve of destruction". "The boot" can't come soon enough.

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Whatever trump does he will declare a win what ever agreement he gives he will break it if it suits him or someone hurts his feelings he is truly a disgrace .to you Canada my sincere apology as soon as the economy sours he will get the boot

"Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment' - Trump"

So true.

North Korea … .   wait a little bit before you destroy your nuclear arsenal, Trump could change his mind on the plane!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Opl said:

"Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment' - Trump"

So true.

North Korea … .   wait a little bit before you destroy your nuclear arsenal, Trump could change his mind on the plane!

Good advice for North Korea but they already know that Trump is very fickle and untrustworthy.

So does the world. It would be hard to imagine a worse president in fiction.

"The fallout from Trump's international temper tantrum

This is all the more stunning as Trump turns to the North Korea summit. America's allies, a significant cross-section of Congress (although Republicans are too cowardly to admit it publicly), much of the free press here and abroad, and a very sizable majority of Americans do not trust him. (As for the latter, the most recent Quinnipiac poll showed 64 percent of voters don't think he is level-headed; 59 percent don't think he is honest."

https://m.sfgate.com/opinion/article/trump-justin-trudeau-north-korea-G-7-summit-what-12982463.php

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So does the world. It would be hard to imagine a worse president in fiction.

"The fallout from Trump's international temper tantrum

This is all the more stunning as Trump turns to the North Korea summit. America's allies, a significant cross-section of Congress (although Republicans are too cowardly to admit it publicly), much of the free press here and abroad, and a very sizable majority of Americans do not trust him. (As for the latter, the most recent Quinnipiac poll showed 64 percent of voters don't think he is level-headed; 59 percent don't think he is honest."

https://m.sfgate.com/opinion/article/trump-justin-trudeau-north-korea-G-7-summit-what-12982463.php

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Let's not forget the run up to election. "Lying Hilary, Lying Ted" was his mantra. This is the pot calling the kettle black, personified in "great" Trump fashion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Oh goody, spur of the moment always works out well...

AKA .... Fly by the seat of your pants. Wing it. Improvise. Off the cuff. But best suited to Trump "FAKE it".

Screw all the input from others, he'll do it his way.

• Like 2

Who will be at the meeting to

a) stop Trump revealing something stupid / agreeing to something disastrous?

b) stop Trump pushing some kind of personal interest agenda e.g financial (via the Chinese) or influential (again probably via the Chinese? i.e. Trump does NK a favour, NK then gets China to repay Trump personally somehow.

• Like 2

"I think within the first minute I'll know. Just my touch, my feel. That's what I do," Trump said. "And if I think it won't happen - I'm not going to waste my time. I don't want to waste his time."

What this charlatan huckster really meant to say was, "everything I touch turns to crap. Everything". 

Tiny Don will get played, as usual. His lack of preparation will bite him on his orange butt. Kim is far more savvy, far richer, and far more clever, than this incompetent adolescent, who thinks he is the smartest man in the world. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

"I think within the first minute I'll know. Just my touch, my feel. That's what I do," Trump said. "And if I think it won't happen - I'm not going to waste my time. I don't want to waste his time."

What this charlatan huckster really meant to say was, "everything I touch turns to crap. Everything". 

Tiny Don will get played, as usual. His lack of preparation will bite him on his orange butt. Kim is far more savvy, far richer, and far more clever, than this incompetent adolescent, who thinks he is the smartest man in the world. 

Could we not discuss the topic, without these endless abuses of Trump ?

Seems to be just a bunch of posters calling Trump names .

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why not? It is fun. And besides, he has worked very hard to deserve this criticism. Nothing I said was not true. Please. Do not be like Trump. Thick skin is a very attractive trait in a man. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No we can't.  Trump bashing is what Thaivisa is all about.  Learn to love it.

47 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Why not? It is fun. And besides, he has worked very hard to deserve this criticism. Nothing I said was not true. Please. Do not be like Trump. Thick skin is a very attractive trait in a man. 

It may be "fun" writing it  , constantly criticising Trump , calling him names , like a competition to see who can call him the best /worse names .

But it gets rather repetitive to keep on reading the same thing over and over again , like listening to a bunch of old woman gathered around complaining about the family who live at number 56

It is nice to see universal disgust with Trump expressed on this forum.  I would have expected less, but this show of a minimum level of good judgment helps restore my faith in expats holding down barstools across this country.

At least in this case one can hope that nothing will come of this. 

What Trump communicated related to meeting with US trade partners was despicable, poorly framed, undiplomatic, horribly uninformed, with no hope for positive outcome, representing no understanding of current circumstances, only potentially leading to disastrous results.  Trump himself says that unless he manages to successfully wing it this time, going in without expectations or any plan at all, or background knowledge of past communication, then he'll just give it up for a waste of time.

As usual the worst of all this is that to 40% of the idiots in the US this is Trump at his best, out there trying to make a good deal as only he could.  Factor in liberal idiots and the US really is a nation of morons.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

It may be "fun" writing it  , constantly criticising Trump , calling him names , like a competition to see who can call him the best /worse names .

But it gets rather repetitive to keep on reading the same thing over and over again , like listening to a bunch of old woman gathered around complaining about the family who live at number 56

It is a bit like listening to Trump speaking, or tweeting, right?

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, honu said:

It is nice to see universal disgust with Trump expressed on this forum.  I would have expected less, but this show of a minimum level of good judgment helps restore my faith in expats holding down barstools across this country.

At least in this case one can hope that nothing will come of this. 

What Trump communicated related to meeting with US trade partners was despicable, poorly framed, undiplomatic, horribly uninformed, with no hope for positive outcome, representing no understanding of current circumstances, only potentially leading to disastrous results.  Trump himself says that unless he manages to successfully wing it this time, going in without expectations or any plan at all, or background knowledge of past communication, then he'll just give it up for a waste of time.

As usual the worst of all this is that to 40% of the idiots in the US this is Trump at his best, out there trying to make a good deal as only he could.  Factor in liberal idiots and the US really is a nation of morons.

Thank you for that post. Well put. Do not think I could have expressed my displeasure with the circus huckster, deflector in chief any better. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Do you listen to everything that he says and writes ?

Some people seem completely obsessed with him .

Its like their one and only interest in life is Donald Trump .

To a Canadian guy I work with (here in Bangkok) it's now more or less his favorite reality television show.  He hates Trump, but he has almost no personal stake in everything Trump touches going badly, so he can take it on that level, as pure comedy. 

It is quickly filtering down to economic problems for the US and for Canada as a main trading partner but that guy is here now, so he's experiencing problems for his country second hand. 

He's aware that climate change is going to shift human experience a lot over the next 50 years, which definitely involves his children, but that guy is old enough that he'll never see it.  Or that bastard Trump, for that matter.

• Thanks 1

Freudian slip?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jun/10/a-fox-news-host-has-accidentally-referred-to-the-highly-anticipated-summit-between-president-donald-trump-and-north-korean-leader-kim-jong-un-as-a-meeting-of-two-dictators

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, honu said:

To a Canadian guy I work with (here in Bangkok) it's now more or less his favorite reality television show.  He hates Trump, but he has almost no personal stake in everything Trump touches going badly, so he can take it on that level, as pure comedy. 

It is quickly filtering down to economic problems for the US and for Canada as a main trading partner but that guy is here now, so he's experiencing problems for his country second hand. 

He's aware that climate change is going to shift human experience a lot over the next 50 years, which definitely involves his children, but that guy is old enough that he'll never see it.  Or that bastard Trump, for that matter.

Much more like American Drama. A long time Canadian politition and Prime Minister, Jean Chretien,  was on the radio the other day. He stated that he had dealt with Americans for decades. Knowing what he knows and watching how Trump operates he is convinced that at the end of it all  a comma will be moved in the NAFTA Agreement and Trump will then declare it the best agreement EVER negotiated. Seems highly likely to me. 

I'd agree that most likely after Trump blustering on about getting a better trade deal they'll just renew the old deal.  Or at most fix one special case where an import tariff really is a bit much, but it seems unlikely that kind of review would ever result in a single functional change.

The thing is with Trump you just don't know.  The US pulled out of an Asian trade agreement and the Paris Accord on climate change "just because."  Some of that relates to things that really made a difference.

It's a little like leaving my 9 year old son in charge of the US government.  Whoever he talked to last is likely to sound convincing, unless he has some problem with them, and then the opposite of whatever they said might sound good.

• Like 1

Now, at the end of the summit, he has created another in a thousand lies. He says he has a great relationship with Kim! How do you develop a great relationship in one meeting? I mean this guy has no regard for facts, whatsoever. All we know, as of now is the following:

1. Trump said he would suspend the war games, with South Korea. The South Korean ministry said they have no idea where that came from, what it means, or the reason for it. China is wetting their pants in delight.

2. Trump said he would work towards bringing down the number of US troops stationed in the DMZ and in South Korea. China is again wetting their pants in delight.

3. He said he would work toward easing sanctions. Both Kim and China are wetting their pants in delight.

4. Trump said he would offer security guarantees to North Korea. Nice one for Kim. Terrible for South Korea. 

5. Trump said he would consider removing American nukes from Korea. Nice one for Kim. Terrible for the South Koreans. 

What did the so called master of the art of the deal get in return? A vague promise that we will work toward de-nuclearrization from North Korea. What else? There was no mentioning the previous US aim of "complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization." And Kim's commitments did not appear to go beyond what he already pledged to do in April when he met South Korean President Moon Jae-in along their countries' border.

Who got played here? Looks like Trump got played, just like he is getting played by the Saudis, the Israelis, the Canadians, and just about anyone else he engages with. This man is a horrific negotiator. He could not negotiate his way out of a paper bag. 

Tiny Don. The art of I cannot make a deal to save my life. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 11:34 PM, spidermike007 said:

Yeah it is. Which is ironic, don't you think? No matter how contemptible a person I may encounter or am forced to deal with may be, it doesn't change who I am. It doesn't make me into something I am not. Apparently, from what I read here and in other places there are millions of people just like Trump. Vicious in their speech, tribal, zero sum thinkers, pander to the group that blindly endorses whatever bile comes from their mouthes and never apologizes when wrong. It could be they are mirroring Trump or that his behaviour has given license to others to be just as contemptible but I get the feeling this may have been their character all aong.

Edited by lannarebirth

On the positive side this could lead to something more substantial later and nothing Trump says is going to amount to any real changes on the US side.  He's just trying to use it as a PR stunt.  The problem is that the intellectually challenged 40% of Americans who support him are buying it and no one else will, and they were already on board, no less happy for him ending trade deals that actually had been benefiting the US.

I'm happy for Dennis Rodman.  He seems pretty much out in space but his intentions seem good, and it feels like a win to him too. 

I'm not as happy for North Koreans.  They're still going to experience three generations of their family being killed or sent to a concentration camp for watching a  Hollywood movie or owning a pair of jeans, or probably for getting blamed for something they didn't do in some cases.  People don't seem to realize that the internet doesn't actually go there, and citizens failing to play out their role in a 1984-like society gets them killed.

Real war never was going to break out anyway.  Kim is crazy but not that crazy.  He can either stay a despotic dictator in an insignificant, isolated country or go out with a bang and see his country all but leveled into a parking lot, opting for suicide or being hunted down and killed.  It's nice that he decides to play nicely but it changes nothing.