Meet the "next big fruit" Pitaya same as dragonfruit but with flavor!

Jingthing

If you've been in Thailand, you've probably tasted dragonfruit.

Odd texture and almost no flavor.

Is dragonfruit anyone's favorite fruit?

In any case, here come's Pitaya!

(No, not Pattaya, Pitaya.)

Maybe not to Thailand though.

I reckon we'll still only have the same old dragonfruit here for a long time.

The final barrier the fruit needs to conquer is a market of consumers who’re either too afraid to try the weird-looking fruit or who’ve been disappointed by flavorless imports in the past. But the new wave of producers is confident. Hiddlestone believes that Pitaya Plus’ 130 percent year-on-year growth since its inception in 2009 is “only the beginning” for the firm. And for pitaya.

https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/move-over-avocado-meet-the-next-super-fruit/85491?li_source=LI&li_medium=default-widget

Looks good in theory, but I can't imagine they'd be able to insure the genetic and flavor quality if the market grew to any significant percentage of the dragon fruit market.  And that doesn't even address the counterfeit problem.  It could be a bonanza for the company if they can keep it exclusive,

I like dragon fruit, and occasionally come across one that's more flavorful than normal.  I always figured it was a function of picking it at the right time, and handling it properly, and eating it fresh, as opposed to 3 weeks after it's been picked due to logistics.  Sounds like there's even more to the genetics than I had thought about.  It's not like I thought much, in fairness.

Still, give me a very ripe mango on the day before it goes off and has to be binned.   Mango kicks dragon fruit butt every day of the week.

Seems to be some confusion over the difference between dragon fruit and pitaya. The variety Stenocereus is known as sour pitaya (according to Wiki) and the variety Hylocereus is the sweet pitahaya which is called dragon fruit. Several years ago I bought some plants of the dark red fruit which sit in the land my son has a small bungalow on. Last year he had a good crop and sold them in his village where people thought they were far tastier than the white version. I dont think the sour pitaya is on sale here but maybe I just dont get out enough. 

We also grow, and end up giving away, Sour Sop, annona muricata, which is another on the list of miracle fruit. A bit like Noi Na, which is known as the sweet sop, just bigger and with a short shelf life so not great for commercial use.  As suggested above getting either of these fruits at the correct stage of ripeness is the key, picked early and kept on shelves is not giving you the best taste.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 2:47 AM, evadgib said:

I prefer fresh pineapple if given a choice.

I really like Thai mangoes - much better than the ones available in the USA. Also like Durian, but that is an acquired taste (it took me something like 20 years to be crazy about them).

Archived