How often do you get sick here compared to back home?

punchandjudy

3 minutes ago, Rarebear said:
29 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Living in a tropical climate will shorten your life span. Countries with high life spans are inevitably temperate or cooler climates.

There is just a great prevalence of bugs, germs and other nasties that may potentially get you from time to time. Things go off much quicker in the heat and one has to be more careful about hygiene. Living in a third world country doesn't help.

These things add up over time and take their toll.

That old bigotry dies hard doesn't it?  Among the top 20 nations for longevity are Bermuda, Anguilla and Singapore.

I think that's the opposite of bigotry.  Those are 3 countries heavily influenced by the west.  If that's the correlation, and tropical countries without western influence are sucking hind tit on longevity, what does that say?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, seajae said:

the biggest problem I have is an allergy to msg(not allowed in Australia without warning customers) which thai cooks love to heap into whatever they are cooking, gives you same conditions as food poisoning(and a very dry throat) so many people as I did originally think it is the food or water. Once I found out it was msg I always tell them no msg when ordering, have been fine since unless I get something that is simply off(hard to tell at times), always never go to a street seller that does not have customers, same with restaurants as thais will not eat at bad food places either. Apart from this I get allergy/hayfever at different times and only time I ever get the flu/cold is when we have severe weather changes(happens rarely), I used to get them all the time in Australia so I am much better off here. Water should be filtered as a precaution, thats why hotels give you bottled water.

Sensitivity to MSG is not generally accepted as a true allergy, there is no test available to determine whether you are sensitive to it.  How did you tests for it? 

• Thanks 1

It's difficult to avoid colds during winter in Australia. Lots of people coughing and sneezing. And there's always at least one plague carrier on a long flight.

Here, I've had food poisoning a couple of times. IMHO one is far more likely to get food poisoning from unspiced food.

There's only two street stalls in my vicinity that I trust. Food courts are usually OK, as long as I see the food cooked in front of me.

I make a distinction between food poisoning and gastroenteritis. Food poisoning, due to toxins, causes violent vomiting and diarrhoea. However, the symptoms clear in 24 hours. If the symptoms last for 3-4 days, it's bacterial or viral.

I Get more sick in the UK .Especially, jock itch, piles and anal fissures due to lack of bum guns. When I do get sick in UK its very difficult to see a Dr when you need one. Here is much easier. One reason I live here. Here I can keep my weight down. Back in the UK I balloon.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

I think that's the opposite of bigotry.  Those are 3 countries heavily influenced by the west.  If that's the correlation, and tropical countries without western influence are sucking hind tit on longevity, what does that say?

I think it says that modern medicine has overcome climate problems that determined health in the past. In olden days there was a stereotype that people from Northern climates were better at everything and smarter and healthier which was a racial stereotype. 

4 minutes ago, impulse said:
10 minutes ago, Rarebear said:
36 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Living in a tropical climate will shorten your life span. Countries with high life spans are inevitably temperate or cooler climates.

There is just a great prevalence of bugs, germs and other nasties that may potentially get you from time to time. Things go off much quicker in the heat and one has to be more careful about hygiene. Living in a third world country doesn't help.

These things add up over time and take their toll.

That old bigotry dies hard doesn't it?  Among the top 20 nations for longevity are Bermuda, Anguilla and Singapore.

It's an interesting debate. i.e. that living in a tropical climate will shorten your lifespan. For this theory to be of any use to expats, we'd have to know how people who stay at home to die compare to the ones who choose to die in a foreign country. We're never going to see any stats to help us with that one. My gut feeling is that the heat does take years off one's life, but I'm never going to know because I can't live in two countries at the same time to prove my theory. It would also depend on what home climate you come from. When I go back to my sub-tropical climate in Australia (Gold Coast), I feel so much better than sitting around in the tropical heat with a fan blowing on me 24/7, and sleeping with aircon. I've also tried living without aircon, not for a few days but many months, and that's worse.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, transam said:

One of the best things I tried that worked was having a salad bowl next to our bed filled with salt and covered with water...You end up breathing salt air....Made a big difference to us both...

Absolute BS. It's what is called the placebo effect - because you believe it, the effect follows.

The only way anyone is going to get "salt air" is by living next to an ocean with onshore prevailing winds. The boiling point of salt is 1413 C. If salt can be transported by evaporation with water, why can pure water be manufactured by steam distillation?

Or perhaps you have a hurricane in your bedroom.

13 hours ago, nausea said:

If you teach you'll get sick a lot, evety bug going around; on a more serious note dengue fever is a problem, and never, ever, drink untreated water. And don't eat oysters. Speaking from experience here.

Funny, I've never been sick in four years of teaching! I don't know why. Yes watch for mosquitos (I live in a rural area) and never drink untreated water. As for oysters, well they told me they were aphrodisiacs. The last time I tried them only the first three worked!

??

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Absolute BS. It's what is called the placebo effect - because you believe it, the effect follows.

The only way anyone is going to get "salt air" is by living next to an ocean with onshore prevailing winds. The boiling point of salt is 1413 C. If salt can be transported by evaporation with water, why can pure water be manufactured by steam distillation?

So why does my bedroom have salt dust everywhere, and why has my salad bowl disappeared under a crust of salt....?

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

It's an interesting debate. i.e. that living in a tropical climate will shorten your lifespan. For this theory to be of any use to expats, we'd have to know how people who stay at home to die compare to the ones who choose to die in a foreign country. We're never going to see any stats to help us with that one. My gut feeling is that the heat does take years off one's life, but I'm never going to know because I can't live in two countries at the same time to prove my theory. It would also depend on what home climate you come from. When I go back to my sub-tropical climate in Australia (Gold Coast), I feel so much better than sitting around in the tropical heat with a fan blowing on me 24/7, and sleeping with aircon. I've also tried living without aircon, not for a few days but many months, and that's worse.

What percent of longevity is determined by lack of stress?  Being 13,000 miles away from my ex wives has added immeasurable years and happiness to my life.  Being able to avoid Christmas has as added a few years.  I'm not a Christian and not into many things that are taken for granted  in the West.  There I was crazy here I'm only eccentric.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

I think it says that modern medicine has overcome climate problems that determined health in the past. In olden days there was a stereotype that people from Northern climates were better at everything and smarter and healthier which was a racial stereotype. 

Taking it to an extreme, I don't see anything bigoted about saying that living in a swamp decreases your life expectancy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

I don't either but the quote was tropical country not a swamp. 

The quote was that living in a tropical country reduces longevity.  Whether you're native, or a transplant.  Black, white, brown or green.

It may be accurate.  Or it may not.  But it's not bigoted.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, transam said:

So why does my bedroom have salt dust everywhere, and why has my salad bowl disappeared under a crust of salt....?

The salt encrusts the salad bowl by capillary action. Bits break off and get distributed. That is not the same as breathing salt.

I suspect you are exaggerating a tad with the "salt dust everywhere". Unless your Mrs. is exceptionally lazy with the cleaning.

Just now, Lacessit said:

The salt encrusts the salad bowl by capillary action. Bits break off and get distributed. That is not the same as breathing salt.

I suspect you are exaggerating a tad with the "salt dust everywhere". Unless your Mrs. is exceptionally lazy with the cleaning.

It seems you are a "Poh pooh artist", someone who pooh poohs without even trying stuff...

But that's OK, others may take notice of someone like me who was on a lung puffer for a couple of decades that was told to try the salt water fix...It may work or it may not in my case it did. No more puffer...For the little cost it may help others, I hope so...

Here is a pick for you as how salt, with the help of circulated air, fixed my ploblem...

Hmmm, must de-salt my breathing area....:stoner:

Photo1166-001.jpg.00d3f3574106edc4a76e98a8e47fbcc8.jpg

Just now, Rarebear said:

What percent of longevity is determined by lack of stress?  Being 13,000 miles away from my ex wives has added immeasurable years and happiness to my life.  Being able to avoid Christmas has as added a few years.  I'm not a Christian and not into many things that are taken for granted  in the West.  There I was crazy here I'm only eccentric.

Lack of stress, happiness and good sleep are great aids to health. I've never been to a city with so many gyms as Pattaya!

53 minutes ago, JAG said:

Funny, I've never been sick in four years of teaching! I don't know why. Yes watch for mosquitos (I live in a rural area) and never drink untreated water. As for oysters, well they told me they were aphrodisiacs. The last time I tried them only the first three worked!

??

You must have good immunity because its an universal truth that like hospitals schools are hotbeds of disease. I don't mean this to sound as negative as it might sound. But its because you get so many people together who might be sick and infect each other.  Same of course goes for other places where people are forced to come together even if they are not 100% well. 

As for you oyster story i am disappointed only 3 times ? 

Just now, Rarebear said:

Bigot does not necessary refer to race it may mean ethnicity.   People that live in a tropical country are not as hardworking or intelligent or as well educated Northern countries?   True or false?

Are you saying the Chinese and Japanese do not work as hard as a London layabout. I'm.sorry but I don't get your point.  Have you ever worked as a rice farmer in Issan? You appear to be making ignorant,racist remarks..pointless too and nothing to do with health.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The manic said:

Are you saying the Chinese and Japanese do not work as hard as a London layabout. I'm.sorry but I don't get your point.  Have you ever worked as a rice farmer in Issan? You appear to be making ignorant,racist remarks..pointless too and nothing to do with health.

No, no.  I was responding to another poster who implied people living in tropical countries were not as healthy as people in the North.  I said he was a bigot.  Tropics may have effected longevity in the past but now modern medicine is the dominant influence in longevity. I cited   Among the top 20 nations for longevity are Bermuda, Anguilla and Singapore.

Edited by Rarebear

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I used a Himalayan salt light as a negative ionized. It worked...also kept the dust down.

• Like 1

When I first moved here, I came down with a few 'food poisoning type bugs' that lasted a couple of days.  Entirely expected as I'd come down with this sort of thing on pretty much EVERY holiday to 2nd or 3rd world countries previously.

Back in the UK, I'd suffer a few colds (that lasted at least a week) every year.

After the first year in Thailand, the 'tummy bugs' stopped, and colds were a distant memory ?.

Unfortunately, for some reason things have changed this year.  An extremely nasty cold that (for the first time in my life!) left me virtually unable to speak for a couple of weeks - (and a friend has come down with the same thing) - and then an extremely nasty tummy problem that lasted for close to a month.....

Edit - I've also had sinus problems (hearing reduced, and impossible to 'clear' ears) for a couple of years now.

Edited by dick dasterdly

9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

When I first moved here, I came down with a few 'food poisoning type bugs' that lasted a couple of days.  Entirely expected as I'd come down with this sort of thing on pretty much EVERY holiday to 2nd or 3rd world countries previously.

Back in the UK, I'd suffer a few colds (that lasted at least a week) every year.

After the first year in Thailand, the 'tummy bugs' stopped, and colds were a distant memory ?.

Unfortunately, for some reason things have changed this year.  An extremely nasty cold that (for the first time in my life!) left me virtually unable to speak for a couple of weeks - (and a friend has come down with the same thing) - and then an extremely nasty tummy problem that lasted for close to a month.....

Edit - I've also had sinus problems (hearing reduced, and impossible to 'clear' ears) for a couple of years now.

Can you remember and make comparisons to every other cold you've had in your life? I usually only remember the last one, which for me was about a year ago... everything before that has faded into distant memory.  

Just now, tropo said:

Can you remember and make comparisons to every other cold you've had in your life? I usually only remember the last one, which for me was about a year ago... everything before that has faded into distant memory.  

Yes.

I can remember the odd, few, SERIOUSLY bad colds in my life - and am 100% sure that this recent cold was the first time I ever lost my voice.  I was outraged! ?

When I first moved here, the first couple of months I seemed to get sick all the time. Mostly fevers and sore throats. I've noticed that the humidity (especially around rainy season) makes my joints hurt. Dry heat has not caused any problems at all and besides the humidity, everything else is fine. I would say I have adapted to the weather and environment but it hasn't been easy. What still gets me at times is the AC in the cars that results in a sore throat.

Some of the more recent off topic posts have been removed, topic is about:

How often do you get sick here compared to back home?

It is not about gyms or when I was a teacher back in the day, so please stay on topic.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

What I find is that I'm much more likely to get sick in the week after a long flight.  Which makes sense.  Whether it's because of all those germs in the sealed aluminum tube, lost sleep, or the super dry air and dehydration, I do not know.

True, as you are doubtless aware a great number of people joining units offshore get sick the first few days back onboard, sure "one of the above" is true, not sure which, I know it had nothing to do with the alcohol consumed to stay hydrated! ?

7 minutes ago, Shackleton123 said:

Been here 8 years, haven't been sick yet. Used to get annual colds in the UK, not here.

Ironically, we're all sick and suffering from a terminal illness called aging.... even you, the amazing guy who hasn't been sick in 8 years.