Video: "Take me to court" says truck driver after woman ends up in the central reservation

webfact

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'm not sure how he can deny responsibility for that? He clearly hasn't bothered to check his mirrors, or he would have seen it was unsafe to make the turn and from what I can see has used no indicators either. This is exactly the sort of idiot that needs to be removed from the roads, as such stupidity and disrespect for other road users makes him super dangerous.

Not the way they think, unfortunately. More a case of I want to do a u-turn, I'm here first, I don't wait for anyone, not my fault you should stop and must let me go first attitude.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Even worse is that he is a professional driver in a large vehicle, they should be better trained but often have a.. .I am bigger so I can go first attitude. 

"...he is a professional driver..."aren't all the Thai drivers ..NOT.

refer to other driving topics:  driver probably had a license, wasn't speeding, drunk?? maybe not... just driving link a dangerous <deleted> that caused an accident.

and will he be penalized more or worse than a drunk driver who caused no accident or injury ???? Think about that.

It's called the thai privileged attitude and it works both ways.  

If you are rich and wrong you pay/bribe your way out.  

If you are poor (truck driver) and wrong and versus the rich(BMW sedan) you use the privileged "poor-get-out-of-being-responsible card." 

Funny thing is the cops love to pull this  "he is poor let the insurance pay for it" routine and it gets the haves frustrated and end up calling their insurance companies anyways plus the cops get away with less paperwork and becomes protector/hero of the grassroots man.

Btw, all farangs are seen as rich so expect the same treatment except payouts/bribes are usually higher.

Edited by smileydude

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

She has a nice pair of amulets too. I bet they got well shook up.

Agreed, she does. Regardless she was going at a pretty good rate of speed, and obviously has very little experience. Yes the truck is in the wrong, but it could have been avoided by slowing a little less abruptly and simply passing him on the left instead.

I have offered my services directly to her on messenger, to help her with some defensive driving lessons. Maybe I'll help re adjust those amulets for her too, they clearly did not help due not being placed securely enough..

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Why is this getting renewed air time?

Hawk eye :clap2:

It seems news does not become news before it is "shared on Facebook" :wink:

And nobody noticed the date on the dash-cam video (2017/6/11) :tongue:

So a lot of stuff on stock to discuss on Thaivisa.

Ms. Phosowang,

As a professional trained commercial driver and instructor working along with the Department of Transportation 40 plus years and I fully understand this is Thailand, but make a note that vehicles were invented in the West and the rules standard as to the application also were taken from the West, which in my opinion has been turn upside down to the point many of the procedures are killing so many of your people yearly.  I've seen countless self inflicted accidents like yours that could have been prevented if only the drivers didn't insist on the "right of way"!

In your accident, this is my professional opinion even in Thailand.

The truck drivers is completely wrong that he move into the right lane to exit without providing you with a signal but I could clearly see in advance from the angle of the truck as to what was going to happen.

On your part from your own video, you started on the left lane my counting during your travels I would guess you were easily going 70/80 KM/H  on a road most likely marked for 60. When you move from the left to right I sighted the truck as soon as he started to move to your lane, I counted a minimum of 8 seconds that was more than enough time to slow down and avoid the truck.  Instead, looking at the video you like many Thais on motorbikes, in general, most likely felt you had the right of way so you insisted to the point instead of slowing down you even try to work your way around the truck!

I've seen this insistent in Thailand and watch two young kids die a few year back thinking they had the right of way even when the vehicle cautiously had taken 90% of the lane, yet they still felt they had the right of way.

Yes, you had the right away but it was taken from you since you had amber time to slow down and the truck signal or not had taken 90% of your lane yet you continue to think you could go around him on the right thus the accident.

This could only happen if you have the habit like many Thais of not looking far enough up the road in general 7 seconds, instead looking down, or you were on the phone etc.. not paying attention until it was too late.

Regardless, of your contribution to this accident the trucker, the police if they knew how to apply the law would cited him for " Unsafe Movement "  your insurance should go after the employer in Civil court to regroup their loses!

Slow down look up get the big picture if you had you wouldn't be showing us the video. Completely avoidable!  Sorry!

Edited by thailand49
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

He is responsible, however she was going at a fair rate on a wet/damp road...

Driving to the conditions doesn't ever seem to occur to people here !!

Luckily she wasn't hurt...

Speed limit could be 80 or 90km on that road and I would say she wasn't exceeding either whether the road is wet or not! The truck driver is guilty of driving without due care and attention. End of story!  he is entirely in the wrong.

59 minutes ago, smileydude said:

It's called the thai privileged attitude and it works both ways.  

If you are rich and wrong you pay/bribe your way out.  

If you are poor (truck driver) and wrong and versus the rich(BMW sedan) you use the privileged "poor-get-out-of-being-responsible card." 

Funny thing is the cops love to pull this  "he is poor let the insurance pay for it" routine and it gets the haves frustrated and end up calling their insurance companies anyways plus the cops get away with less paperwork and becomes protector/hero of the grassroots man.

Btw, all farangs are seen as rich so expect the same treatment except payouts/bribes are usually higher.

"Funny thing is the cops love to pull this  "he is poor let the insurance pay for it" routine and it gets the haves frustrated and end up calling their insurance companies anyways plus the cops get away with less paperwork and becomes protector/hero of the grassroots man."

Insurance company will still go after the money from the poor guy.

"Btw, all farangs are seen as rich so expect the same treatment except payouts/bribes are usually higher."

Usual nonsense again.

She was driving way too fast for the conditions. This is Thailand. You simply can’t drive past a stationary or slow moving truck like that. You have to allow that it might turn across in front of you, because that often happens here.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"Funny thing is the cops love to pull this  "he is poor let the insurance pay for it" routine and it gets the haves frustrated and end up calling their insurance companies anyways plus the cops get away with less paperwork and becomes protector/hero of the grassroots man."

Insurance company will still go after the money from the poor guy.

"Btw, all farangs are seen as rich so expect the same treatment except payouts/bribes are usually higher."

Usual nonsense again.

I disagree.  The cost of legal fees and time it takes to take the poor guy to court is usually not worth it for the insurance companies to pursue the case.

Edited by smileydude

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Just a normal day, truck driver turning right from the left lane, no signal nothing.

What have the police done about it?

Nothing, if the woman wants police help, she will have to part with some cash.

not how it works here. When there is an accident the issue is taken care of by the insurance people. They would determine who's at fault, and if the guilty party refuses to accept responsibility, they then go to the nearest police station. The police job is to mediate between the parties and try to convince the guilty driver to accept responsibility. If guilty driver refuses and the police can't convince him/her - they will then send the case to court. The police can arrest who they consider guilty until the court session (I think this is only done in case of accident with injuries) and that's why first class insurance usually includes a clause about bail money.

1 minute ago, LukKrueng said:

not how it works here. When there is an accident the issue is taken care of by the insurance people. They would determine who's at fault, and if the guilty party refuses to accept responsibility, they then go to the nearest police station. The police job is to mediate between the parties and try to convince the guilty driver to accept responsibility. If guilty driver refuses and the police can't convince him/her - they will then send the case to court. The police can arrest who they consider guilty until the court session (I think this is only done in case of accident with injuries) and that's why first class insurance usually includes a clause about bail money.

Totally disagree mate, what i posted is how it works here.

After my accident local police told my wife 40.000 baht and the pickup driver gets the blame, she refused and i got the blame.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unless the lady in the fast Beemer has been unable to get justice or compensation since last year since (maybe) the (local) truck driver paid the (local) cops fastest and they said she's in the wrong?

couple of weeks ago, my friends wife was in a similiar accident with a truck, but on her scooter, she is in a bit of a mess but will survive..truck driver didnt indicate and ploughed into her.. there is witnesses as well, and police called etc..but now the driver has ''disappeared" they now think he has paid off the cops as well..

The truck is quite clearly going to turn right or making a u turn the car driver is at fault for driving in the overtaking lane is she was driving in the other lane it wouldn't of occurred plus it looked as she was driving to fast, 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Totally disagree mate, what i posted is how it works here.

After my accident local police told my wife 40.000 baht and the pickup driver gets the blame, she refused and i got the blame.

might have happened to you, but that's NOT the normal way it works.

Many years ago I was involved in an accident with a bike AND a tuktuk. I was the only 1 insured, tuktuk didn't have even the P.R.B (which was very new at the time). The biker didn't have a license at all and was speeding. They tried to pin it on me and I refused. Negotiations at the police station went on for about 5 days until they could convince the tuktuk to take 50% responsibility (he managed to get the P.R.B retroactively) and arranged it so the biker got the best cover through both of us (and yes, I was partly to blame).

In another incident on a 2 lanes road I was indicating a turn to the right. As I started to make the turn a biker decided to overtake me and hit me. He refused to accept responsibility (as determined by my insurance guy) so we went to the police station. Police interviewed both of us and came to the conclusion HE was at fault and HE was fined for opening a case. I paid nothing.

And another incident - I stopped at a red light, the BIKE behind me probably thought I was going to run the red light and hit me (car just came out of body work and paint so I was really pissed off to get that new scratch!!). Police asked us to clear the intersection and asked me if I could invoke the insurance. I refused as it was not my fault. I estimated the repair would cost 5000 THB. The biker said he didn't have that much. The officer asked me if I would accept 1000 THB which I did in order to save time. The biker handed me the money right there and then, in front of the officer who never asked for nor got any part of the money. 

Do you want more? In an intersection I was crossing, a bike came from the side street and didn't stop (nor even slowed down) at a stop sign. Banged into my car's driver's door. People around were thinking to say it was my fault - I pointed out to the stop sign he failed to obey. As it happened in a rural area far from the big city, the insurance told me it will take a while for them to arrive and asked me to go wait at the police station. I took pix of the intersection and waited at the police station. The investigator arrive after about an hour, looked at the pix, went to the location of the accident and cleared me from any wrong doing. Right there and then he negotiated with the biker about the amount he had to pay to my insurance.

• Like 1