1 week holiday out of thailand. Where should I go?

bbabythai

1 hour ago, Robert Ian said:

I second Hoi An, Vietnam. Can fly direct from Bangkok to Da Nang International Airport, and from Da Nang, Hoi An is 30 minutes down the coast, by local bus or taxi. There are lots of beaches close by, and Hoi An is a very old, picturesque and quiet town - as long as you stay a little bit outside of the old city. Recent development ; the really loud beer barns, (now favoured by young and recently cashed up Viets) have taken over the old city, and complaints are many, from guests in nearby hotels, about being unable to sleep. The covered Japanese (yes, Japanese) bridge in the old city is truly exquisite, and was built in 1590.

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 9.00.26 PM.png

Good tip....I'm gonna check it out next songkran

11 hours ago, The manic said:

Hanoi for culture , Saigon for partying,  Hainan for inexpensive tropical luxury island. Sri Lanka for chill. 

Sri Lanke ? nah if your going that far go to the Maldives nearer and nicer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

If you want to get away from the tourist places, I would suggest Vietnam, Laos or Myanmar, I'm sure you can find a quiet place in these countries and have a unique travel and food eating experience too.

Now that you mention it.. Luang Prabang in Laos is a good place for a short holiday.. fly return from Don Muang for as little as 4,000 Bt..  Nice riverside world heritage town with a French feel..lots of nice restaurants .. good food.. a lot of interesting places to explore nearby.. 

trust me, don't go to the Ancient Market/Town, in Hoi An, there's nothing 'ancient' about it, its a touristy place full of annoying tourists taking selfies for Instagram and bored looking Vietnamese people selling worthless crap, I hated it, it felt so fake. Did I mention the army of Chinese tourists  ?

this may be a better experience 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g298082-d2068091-Reviews-Tra_Que_Vegetable_Village-Hoi_An_Quang_Nam_Province.html

Edited by Bonobojt
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

If you want to get away from the tourist places, I would suggest Vietnam, Laos or Myanmar, I'm sure you can find a quiet place in these countries and have a unique travel and food eating experience too.

Hanoi is packed with backpackers 

Just now, Bonobojt said:

I never told him to go to Hanoi..I said Vietnam, which has many other places other than Hanoi

I suggested Hanoi. During the day it's for culture cultures, at night great and social drinking food but the bars close early unlike Saigon.  There are tours around Hanoi both inland and coastal. I am unclear if the OP wants a quiet break. Next time I go Vietnam I'll try Danang. I was going to go there last  Songkran but went to Hainan in China instead.  2 hours flying from UTP, 10k baht flight, beaches, tropical island and VOA. Here is my take on North Vietnam incuding Hanoi, Halong Bay and Tam Coc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, grollies said:

Too many Aussies... .unless you're Australian? BTW, I like Aussies.

was in Bali in Oct, wont ever go back

BTW  Chinese outnumber aussies nowadays....

For something different head to Myanmar

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The manic said:

I suggested Hanoi. During the day it's for culture cultures, at night great and social drinking food but the bars close early unlike Saigon.  There are tours around Hanoi both inland and coastal. I am unclear if the OP wants a quiet break. Next time I go Vietnam I'll try Danang. I was going to go there last  Songkran but went to Hainan in China instead.  2 hours flying from UTP, 10k baht flight, beaches, tropical island and VOA. Here is my take on North Vietnam incuding Hanoi, Halong Bay and Tam Coc.

I've been to Danang, It actually was my favorite city I went to in Vietnam, it didn't feel touristy, it felt like I was in the real Vietnam, lots of culture to see and food to eat, not many tourists, this was around 2 years ago, not sure what its like now. I got lucky though, met some really friendly and kind locals who showed me around the city, took me to the beach, took me to a karaoke room, man I got lucky. even got invited to do some volunteer work in a poor village. 

• Like 1

If you want real happiness then go to Phnom Pehn and have 'happy' pizza available at many restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner. True happiness and bliss ?

Edited by Emmess