Najomtien ignoring deadly traffic light failure outside Ambassador

Rimmer

Najomtien ignoring deadly traffic light failure outside Ambassador

1298-n3-Ambassador.jpg

PATTAYA:--A broken traffic light outside the Ambassador City Hotel in Jomtien Beach is being blamed for dangerous traffic and accidents, including the death of a Russian pedestrian last year.

Hotel guests and employees said the light, which stops Sukhumvit Road traffic to allow pedestrians to cross, has been out of order for months with no sign Najomtien Sub-district plans to fix it.

The result has been traffic congestion and accidents, plus many dangerous situations for pedestrians, including a Russian hotel guest killed in March.

An unidentified tourist was killed after being struck by a motorbike driven by Rampung Thepwarin, 39, with her 19-year-old daughter Sudarath riding pillion at high speed March 8.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-06-15

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

has been out of order for months

Years more like.

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

An unidentified tourist was killed after being struck by a motorbike

His name was  Sergei Paialnikov     and a few years before him a Russian mother died  to save her child

by pushing him out of the way on the same "zebra crossing"

1444203078_P_20180314_124503(Large)(2).jpg.8663a403209db1d34bfe8e16412e2cb5.jpg

after the latest death they painted out the zebra stripes and put warning signs up.

241997261_P_20180326_113627(Large).jpg.b6c1732d78c65bf6b0cc82a97ebfae43.jpg

Edited by johng
  • Like 2

That poor Russian man was unlucky enough to be crossing when little to no traffic was passing (from the cctv of the event). He looked the wrong way, for traffic on this side road of the road, and so walked directly out into the path of the bike. The bike however seemed, from the time between him stepping out and being struck, to have had adequate time to avoid him. Passed the body on the road later that morning. Very sad and senseless waste of life. 

• Like 2

I see Russians look the wrong way everyday when they want cross the road because they not used to different traffic but Thais really don't care about driving safely 

but about this tread sorry here are safe to cross there are a bridge people just lazy to use it 

• Like 1

A tunnel needs building. Russians, particularly, have small children and carrying a pram up and down steps is a very difficult task. 

I agree with chickenslegs that the Ambassador should get involved in finding a solution.

• Like 2

At any one time one or two kilometres of street lights on Sukhumvit are not working on either side of the road.  I travel past four times a week and see (if they're lucky) countless motorbikes similarly without lights.  What I never see is a policeman.

On 6/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, trigpoint said:

That traffic light has not worked for years. maybe not repairing as there is a foot bridge 100yds away for a safe crossing. 

The light works fine .   They just don't turn it on very often .

On 6/15/2018 at 5:12 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

I see Russians look the wrong way everyday when they want cross the road because they not used to different traffic

In Thailand one must look in all directions, before crossing a street.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:38 AM, champers said:

A tunnel needs building. Russians, particularly, have small children and carrying a pram up and down steps is a very difficult task. 

I agree with chickenslegs that the Ambassador should get involved in finding a solution.

A tunnel??????

The ladyboys would love that as no where to run to avoid them. Also probably never be cleaned, and full of rats eating food leftovers from the beggars that would inhabit the place.

Why would Thais care about people using prams? Thais don't use prams.

• 2 weeks later...

Today they blocked the U turn going north...still able to u turn going south and turn into Ambassador hotel.
Zebra crossing completely blacked out and
pathway across the road blocked...so that should force most to use the bridge.
P_20180705_080138.jpegP_20180705_080148.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/16/2018 at 1:38 AM, champers said:

The companies,  consumers and workers pay taxes. The government gets zillions of baht.  Ambassador needs to protest in the middle of the road with others supporting. Ambassador paying would send a message to city planners that they can sleep all day,  no problem 

• Like 1

Once the tollway gets operation on to Sukhumvit I am sure the increase in traffic will make crossing the road a lot more dangerous. Honestly the road does not need anymore traffic lights as it is like driving down town Pattaya as it is.