French Fries. Standard cut or thick cut?

moonseeker

5 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Many moons ago in a Singapore hotel, I ordered chips with my meal. They came alright Samboy style.?

Having been caught out a couple of times (Lays with sausage and egg is actually OK) I always specify french-fries unless the menu says otherwise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grkt said:

What is crazy is that I never found a restaurant selling the fresh cut french fries. Do you know any ?

Yeah, most use that potato-flour-like garbage. Depends on where you are. My favorite is in Bangkok, an American grille called the Tavern, soi 4; thick-cut real potatoes, large plate.

46 minutes ago, vogie said:

You mean the ones that Crossy likes. ??

Don't go to Makros, in fact don't go shopping, the wife does it. She likes Tops. But if they are the frozen fries which come in a bag; they are probably not real potatoes.

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Don't go to Makros, in fact don't go shopping, the wife does it. She likes Tops. But if they are the frozen fries which come in a bag; they are probably not real potatoes.

Exactly, I was going to call him a philistine, but him being a mod I thought better of it. ?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

Exactly, I was going to call him a philistine, but him being a mod I thought better of it. ?

That may be a compliment. I understand the Philistines speak better English than the Thais.

3 hours ago, champers said:

This is the Pattaya forum, so yes.

When items are published in the twice-daily news headline emails there is no way of knowing on what forum they originated. Maybe you haven't noticed that.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Hmm more healthier to peel and chip a potato, Boil for 5 mins leave in water for 5 more minutes, drain, allow to dry, then, Fry till golden brown, you'll know when they are cooked  because they will float in the oil, and the bubbling will have nearly stopped. You will then have great British chips, crispy on the out side fluffy on the inside. When served salt and cover for 5 mins and they will be British take home chips with that soggy feel that helps them slide down.

• Thanks 2

If it tastes good, anything, but I suppose I prefer thick cut which Americans weirdly call steak fries. But I very rarely eat any style of fried potatoes for health reasons. They're pervasive and I find them an easy thing to cut out. 

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When items are published in the twice-daily news headline emails there is no way of knowing on what forum they originated. Maybe you haven't noticed that.

No, I hadn't Barry. I acknowledged possum1931 when he pointed out the same. I will remember for the future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, but I CAN talk to mine.

Oh I can talk to mine too.

I just like the fact that I don't have too.Sometimes I do talk to Bessy (yes my potato press has a name)  , especially when others are not around, for some reason they seem to think it is strange!

They just don't understand us.:sad:

Edited by sirineou

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

Oh I can talk to mine too.

I just like the fact that I don't have too.Sometimes I do talk to Bessy (yes my potato press has a name)  , especially when others are not around, for some reason they seem to think it is strange!

They just don't understand us.:sad:

Well, I don't believe talk is one-sided. Talk is communication is conversation is discussion. I can discuss any topic with mine.

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well, I don't believe talk is one-sided. Talk is communication is conversation is discussion. I can discuss any topic with mine.

Talking to it is okay. But, if it answers, time to see your shrink !

i always carry a vernier caliper with me and measure every piece. the size (standard or thick) and length doesn't matter as long as the cross section shows EXACTLY square cuts. non-square cuts, i leave for someone else to eat. for round chips, anything thicker than 3mm AND larger than 650 square mm in area gets left on the plate. sure i do these, until the prozac kicks in. after that, i just stop caring and gobble them up like every other person does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, csabo said:

Ton Tan market Khon Kaen

Screenshot_20180617-050649.png

Thank you, I never heard about Irish fries... are they as famous as Belgium fries ?

Anyway, I was talking about 99% of restaurants managed by idiots who are not even able to make their own bread and fries (when it's actually so easy) and then wonder why they close after just few months.

What's it with these 49 baht steak places, 4 French fries (cold) and a slice of manky bread with something thats meant to be garlic butter, plus cold veg, and always some bloody salad shavings with sweet mayo on and the steak covered in black pepper squeeze bottle sauce...is it an American theme gone wrong? plus a side order of French fries re-cooked, because they think you won't notice!

• Haha 2