U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial

rooster59

7 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

the state asked to keep it at $75,000 due to the seriousness of the case.

Apart from the factual irrelevance of your story to Manafort being sent to jail for witness tampering, did you consider that state laws and enforcement might be different from federal laws and sentencing?

Your story relates to charges by the State. Manafort is a defendent in Federal Court.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

people that have zero idea of what they are talking about.

Easily overlooked is the fact that the judge said she was not revoking Manafort's bail as punishment but because his attempts to contact witnesses constituted a danger to the court's integrity.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/paul-manafort-headed-jail-after-witness-tampering-allegation-n883596

Manafort was sent to jail not because he was found guilty of witness tampering, to which he has pleaded innocent, but because the judge saw no viable alternative with him remaining free.

Manafort's attorney argued that Mueller had many witnesses who have not been revealed to the defendant so Manafort would not have any idea of knowing whether he contacted a witness or not (of course his surreptitious manner of contacts using cut-outs, encryption programs, multiple throw-away phones and password protected email drafts to conceal his contacts would indicate otherwise). The judge used in part that same argument to justify incarcerating Manafort to remove the incidental chance of contact with witnesses. Manafort boxed himself in and gave the judge little discretion.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Anak Nakal said:

He campaign CHAIRMAN.

Put in jail. Lose key.

And he was remanded in Washington DC, so most likely he went to the DC Jail.  I used to work for DC Gov, and that place is a roach & rat-infested, urine-soaked hell hole.

4 minutes ago, attrayant said:

And he was remanded in Washington DC, so most likely he went to the DC Jail.  I used to work for DC Gov, and that place is a roach & rat-infested, urine-soaked hell hole.

Actually, I read that most likely he's been remanded to the Alexandria jail because that's where they send people accused of white collar crimes.

12 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He’s had his bail removed for ‘conspiring with a Russian agent to interfere with witnesses to the FBI investigation into Russian interference in the US election’

Absolutely nothing to do with Trump ?!

The charges Manafort faces carry a total of over 300 year’s prison time.

OR

Manafort (Trump Campaign Manager) could cut a plea deal and become a cooperating witness.

OR 

Trump’s attourney is floating the idea Trump might pardon Manafort.

Trump did not know???

Me think that there is evidence to prove that not only did DT knew at the time he was the main instigator, when the likes of Manafort start to realise they are going down for a very long time they will start to plea bargain... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Trump did not know???

Me think that there is evidence to prove that not only did DT knew at the time he was the main instigator, when the likes of Manafort start to realise they are going down for a very long time they will start to plea bargain... 

Well, Giuliani has been explicitly saying that Trump could grant a pardon. So that may not be much of a threat.

1 minute ago, bristolboy said:

Well, Giuliani has been explicitly saying that Trump could grant a pardon. So that may not be much of a threat.

The same thing was said about Flynn before he started to sing like a canary - the pardon never arrived.

You forget too, Manafort faces NY State crimes that can’t be pardoned by Trump.

Add to that the ‘optics’ of Trump pardoning Manafort who’s charges include crimes against the USA.

7 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

He reinforced alleged criminal behavior with actual criminal behaviour, he broke his conditions of bail. Witness tampering is a serious crime particularly when you weigh up the seriousness of the crime.

I'd add to that, IMHO, someone who's innocent probably doesn't need to be making secret contacts with his conspirators while out of bail in an attempt to get them to deny what they've already admitted to.

On the other hand, someone who's guilty and knows it probably would be inclined to take those exact kinds of steps to avoid the truth coming out in court, and risk having his bail revoked, because he's otherwise looking at a pretty stiff jail sentence, even if it ends up being a "Club Fed" somewhere.

Of course, Trump might pardon him at some point in time, if Trump was really daring. But it would be very interesting to see the fallout that would occur from such a move, as it might well hasten an impeachment proceeding against him.

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Of course, Trump might pardon him at some point in time, if Trump was really daring. But it would be very interesting to see the fallout that would occur from such a move, as it might well hasten an impeachment proceeding against him.

I do not think they are that gullible to Trust Trump, they know the only bacon that guy is interested in saving is his own. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I do not think they are that gullible to Trust Trump, they know the only bacon that guy is interested in saving is his own. 

This is exactly what Manafort has to ponder on. Despite Giuliano hinting at possible pardons, you have to have balls the size of Jupiter to trust that DJT will actually follow through with a pardon. Because if Manafort does not squeal and Trump does not pardon, then Manafort will go down for 50 years.  Manafort has zero option, he needs to try and take a 2-5 year plea deal (I don't know if such leniency will even be offered) if he ever wants to see freedom again.

Trump CANNOT pardon Manafort, if he is convicted of state crimes. Only federal crimes. Manafort is exactly where he belongs. He has been skirting laws for so long, and getting away with it. He is now realizing that by dealing with Mr. Radioactive, he has attracted unwanted attention. I hope he is tried and convicted. However, prior to that, he would probably choose to throw Captain Chaos under the bus. 

Edited by spidermike007