Hardware Problem

sbk

I believe some major hardware component is failing just not sure which one.

Sometimes, the PC fails to boot (does not detect the hard disk). Upon turning it off and turning it back on it will usually boot up.

It is pretty slow to open programs, boot up, run programs. Internet works well enough.

Hard drive makes an audible noise periodically.

CPU fan was dead but has now been replaced (PC was turning itself off). Unfortunately, it solved the auto shut off problem but not the boot up issue or the clinking noise or the slowness.

Are there any diagnostic programs I can run to find out exactly what the problem is? I suspect mainboard as that is what always goes (20ft from the ocean). But, if its hard drive, I have a replacement drive I nicked from my parents old computer.

I ran the chkdsk program and came up with no errors.

Any suggestions?

Look at the "Sensor" section and the bottom one should be your hard disk. Mine runs at about 48-52 degrees. It will vary a bit depending on the disk. Get the model number for the disk next to the disk icon too. This will help you find the operating specs to compare with the temperature indicated.

Mine hasn't been on for long yet, and it is yet to be quite hot out:

Motherboard 35 Β°C (95 Β°F)

CPU 38 Β°C (100 Β°F)

Nothing wrong with those temperatures at all. What is your cpu, Pentium 4, Sempron, Celeron?

If you suspect corrosion then take a look at the capacitors on the motherboard. Are any bulging, leaking, at an angle as they start to lift off from the motherboard?

Could also be a PSU problem. Have you got a new power supply you can swap in?

Mine runs at about 48-52 degrees.

I have a couple of 250Gb Samsung sata drives that run at 30c in a room without a/c, rarely get more than a few degrees above room temperature. It helps that l have a 12cm fan blowing across them. :o

I don't see a temp for the hard drive on that list just CPU and motherboard :o

Under Computer > Sensor you should get a list of all temperatures including hard disks. However if the disk is very old it may not have an onboard sensor so won't show up in the list. My three drives show 27 30 27 degrees respectively, but the temperature is quite cool in Chiangmai.

The hard drive is old, very old.

But, when I ran chkdsk no errors showed. Would that show any hd failure? Also, I have to add, we have constant issues with motherboard failure. I turn the computers off at night (in the event of a middle of the night power failure I'd hate to have to get up to shut down the darn computers). So, condensation builds up on the motherboard, causing it to get sticky and eventually die. This motherboard is about 2 years old.

I, for one, don't mind buying a new computer but after having already splashed out on a new LCD monitor, my husband is begrudging more money spent on a new computer :o

I believe some major hardware component is failing just not sure which one.

Sometimes, the PC fails to boot (does not detect the hard disk). Upon turning it off and turning it back on it will usually boot up.

It is pretty slow to open programs, boot up, run programs. Internet works well enough.

Hard drive makes an audible noise periodically.

CPU fan was dead but has now been replaced (PC was turning itself off). Unfortunately, it solved the auto shut off problem but not the boot up issue or the clinking noise or the slowness.

Are there any diagnostic programs I can run to find out exactly what the problem is? I suspect mainboard as that is what always goes (20ft from the ocean). But, if its hard drive, I have a replacement drive I nicked from my parents old computer.

I ran the chkdsk program and came up with no errors.

Any suggestions?

One thing before run any tests, try to make a good backup of everything important. If your drive does not work anymore tomorrow and you don't have a backup you might loose a lot of infos.

If it's a physical problem with the disk as in the internal parts are just wearing out, then chkdsk will show nothing.

I'd backup the important stuff and replace the drive if I were you. Right now all the signs point to the hard disk.

OK, I have the hard drive I took out of my parents computer, they also had an old computer but had replaced the old hard drive with this new larger one.

It is still formatted with their old OS, etc. Should I reformat it? Should I put it in with the old one still in to do so?

OK, I have the hard drive I took out of my parents computer, they also had an old computer but had replaced the old hard drive with this new larger one.

It is still formatted with their old OS, etc. Should I reformat it? Should I put it in with the old one still in to do so?

I'd put it in, format it, then make a partition to backup what you want to keep from the failing disk. After that make it the master, dunp the old disk and reinstall windows on the empty partition of the new drive.

"clonking drive" together with the fact it's old, I can guarantee you it's

on it's final path.

You're lucky, most of the times when it starts to clonk it's usually 100% dead.

Backup any sensitive data immediately and go and bye a new drive.

80 gig= little over 2000 baht.

"clonking drive" together with the fact it's old, I can guarantee you it's

on it's final path.

You're lucky, most of the times when it starts to clonk it's usually 100% dead.

Backup any sensitive data immediately and go and bye a new drive.

80 gig= little over 2000 baht.