Why should i invest in Thailand?

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

But none of that means there isn't a legal system that works for most people.

Tell that to that guy that lost 5 properties worth 1 million pounds in Phuket because of corrupt Courts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Yes, there are crimes and corrupt people in many positions and roles in Thailand, it can be quite scary. But none of that means there isn't a legal system that works for most people.

That has to take the oxymoron statement of the year. You can't make this shit up, lol !

2 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Hmm!

WOW, but I really doubt they'll close Hard Rock. If they do, they have obviously lost the plot and it may be a good time for all of us to start thinking about alternative countries to live. Hard Rock, indeed!!!!!! Next thing they'll be changing the rules on condo ownership. Nothing to stop them if they can close Hard Rock.

However, no resort will have a hard time conforming to parking or green space regulations.

Two things about this:

Firstly, I don't believe it, there's nothing anywhere in the media on this, it's a fantasy thought until somebody posts link to a reliable source that they are being pursued, I'm betting the farm they aren't.

Second, you come across as though Hard Rock Pattaya is the pinnacle of business in Thailand, if HR falls we all must evacuate....get a grip man, it's a hotel, restaurant and bar that is subject to the same rules that all others are.

4 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Competition isn't that bad if it comes with accumulation of resources. Thai soil is a scarce resource though, and you cannot own land without taking it away from somebody else. That's why I wouldn't invest in real estate in Thailand. 

There are other fields open for investment though. Medicine and wellness e.g. You will need expertise for this, and you'll probably need a joint venture. But you might also become a consumer of medical services one day, and then you'll be glad to have them. Just a thought...

The only reason i would invest in real estate is because i want to grow and build into that place. To be connected to that place, to have a home for generations long and to have it secured against any claims. 

Any businesses that i would create in a non-developed country is to provide work opportunities for locals, professionalism, careers, insurances and of course money so we can all grow in good ways. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lkv said:

Tell that to that guy that lost 5 properties worth 1 million pounds in Phuket because of corrupt Courts.

But you said it yourself, there was corruption in the court, not the rule of law system that Thailand uses.

• Confused 1

Just now, simoh1490 said:

But you said it yourself, there was corruption in the court, not the rule of law system that Thailand uses.

Seriously? 

Are you for real?

Courts.....law...hello?

2 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

That has to take the oxymoron statement of the year. You can't make this shit up, lol !

Kinda like the US legal system, how many innocent people have been executed in the past fifty years, the system still works but from time to time if fails people, some times it seriously fails them.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

Two things about this:

Firstly, I don't believe it, there's nothing anywhere in the media on this, it's a fantasy thought until somebody posts link to a reliable source that they are being pursued, I'm betting the farm they aren't.

Second, you come across as though Hard Rock Pattaya is the pinnacle of business in Thailand, if HR falls we all must evacuate....get a grip man, it's a hotel, restaurant and bar that is subject to the same rules that all others are.

The guy that posted that had his place raided and was arrested. Lots of people verifying and the media is reporting. Only 300 hotels in the country have legal licenses. Do the math how many may be affected. You even admitted you knew someone who was collateral damage. Well there is fixin to be a whole lot more, Read up.

1 minute ago, JAZZDOG said:

The guy that posted that had his place raided and was arrested. Lots of people verifying and the media is reporting. Only 300 hotels in the country have legal licenses. Do the math how many may be affected. You even admitted you knew someone who was collateral damage. Well there is fixin to be a whole lot more, Read up.

I refer to not believing about the Hard Rock Cafe, I believe other illegal establishment s and/or ones that don't have licenses etc have been approached.

7 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I refer to my earlier example of US executions, the same principles are involved.

Bad comparisson. 

The point is this, right. Taking into account the corruption here.

You asked a poster about rule of law and all that, when people are advising either not to invest in Thailand or to exercise extreme caution.

Of course, some people will always think: "It will never happen to me". Until it does.

My opinion is similar to other posters, the money would be better off staying somewhere else, offshore.

Edited by lkv

Guys, the subject is investment in Thailands and whilst rule of law here is a part of that picture we're going get all our posts deleted if we keep focussing on this aspect. We've flagged the issue with the op so he has something to think about plus we've expressed our respective views, can we perhaps move forward?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

You're prepared to post nonsense and totally misleading nonsense but not support it, that's against forum rules, keep doing it and I'll report it.

It's not nonsense and not misleading,  as other replies show, but you go right ahead mate.  It's not against forum rules to disagree,  neither am I obliged by forum rules to do your work for you.    

we all seem to be missing the point in our posts. Investment, at any level, any enterprise, or in any country is a matter of comparison.  The question everyone should ask, is, where can i  get the best return at  a risk level that I am willing to accept.  There is no other sensible way to look at this that makes any sense.  In my humble opinion , World Wide, there are better environments and risk profiles for investment than exist in Thailand.  Simple really. . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I refer to not believing about the Hard Rock Cafe, I believe other illegal establishment s and/or ones that don't have licenses etc have been approached.

Do you understand how many families have slaved decades building small businesses that were legitimate because RTP never enforced ill- conceived laws that treat the Hilton the same as a 5 room guest house. Now this same government that evidently has your support is "fear mongering" to shut down everyone that doesn't have a license of which only 300 exist legally. Do you understand the "collateral damage" that could trickle down from this latest shake down. The tens of thousands of small to medium business owners hiding behind locked doors waiting for the cops to swoop in and take away the livelihood they have worked 7 days, 365 days a year. Put your ass in their shoes and tell me about how the courts and laws are working for "many people". Your stock market ain't going to be worth squat if this  this shit hits the fan

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Senseo said:

The only reason i would invest in real estate is because i want to grow and build into that place. To be connected to that place, to have a home for generations long and to have it secured against any claims. 

Any businesses that i would create in a non-developed country is to provide work opportunities for locals, professionalism, careers, insurances and of course money so we can all grow in good ways. 

What are these "generations" you mean - Thai or Farangs? 

A Thai family in Thailand wouldn't be a problem - as Thais they would not be restricted to the 49 pct limit, and they would be your heirs. But if you want a secure nest for your Farang kids in Thailand - this would probably be considered an invasion. 

Edited by micmichd

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I dont agree with any of this.   Not my experience at all and not showing in the research I have done.   I don't think the numbers for condo ownership stack up at all outside Bangkok,  Certainly in Chon Buri Province,  which I know best, the market is saturated and they are still building, with many staying vacant. The new renting laws have hit condo owners hard.  The return, after tax is negligible.  You  also seem to reject the plain fact that Thailand is not a stable democracy and everything can change in an instant, and has done many times in past years here. I speak from bitter experience of lost investments. Do you know who owns and operates most 7/11 franchises and who controls the issuing thereof?   Its not that simple, believe  me. 

You do realise farang don't pay tax right? And are not required to  in fact this makes thailand very attract

Edited by InMyShadow
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JAZZDOG said:

Do you understand how many families have slaved decades building small businesses that were legitimate because RTP never enforced ill- conceived laws that treat the Hilton the same as a 5 room guest house. Now this same government that evidently has your support is "fear mongering" to shut down everyone that doesn't have a license of which only 300 exist legally. Do you understand the "collateral damage" that could trickle down from this latest shake down. The tens of thousands of small to medium business owners hiding behind locked doors waiting for the cops to swoop in and take away the livelihood they have worked 7 days, 365 days a year. Put your ass in their shoes and tell me about how the courts and laws are working for "many people". Your stock market ain't going to be worth squat if this  this shit hits the fan

You're becoming a drama queen, calm down!

Many guesthouses and hotels are being challenged to get licenses and to conform to standards, that's the long and the short of it. This is not persecution of foreigners, this is not about rule of law, this is about the licensing and approval for hotels and guest houses which have proliferated in recent times, in an uncontrolled manner. The social side of all of that is difficult I understand but that's not the core issue being debated here, the core issue is investments in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

You do realise farang don't pay tax right? And are not required to  in fact this makes thailand very attract are

I believe renting laws only apply to 5 condos or more 

Your clueless 

No your clueless about the renting laws Hotel Act Amended august 2016

• Like 1

Just now, JAZZDOG said:

No your clueless about the renting laws Hotel Act Amended august 2016

Post was amended before you replied. I was thinking electricity mark ups 

But tell me how have the new laws hit owners hard? 

You mean people will now sleep on the streets? Or landlords will no longer accept rentals? Makes no sense 

8 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

You do realise farang don't pay tax right? And are not required to  in fact this makes thailand very attract

Excuse me but they ARE required to (but usually don't). Also the Hotel Act requires 30+ days minimum rentals. In fact I fully expect them to come after non-tax payers at some point as well as the 'standard valuations' that costs the country billions a year when property is sold.

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Not correct 

It's Correct. If it wasn't, there would be the biggest crackdown in Thailand. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS  hit with back taxes in the billions of baht 

So I guess the authorities must of forget LMAO 

Nobody has ever paid a dime in tax. And then of course there would be the issue of work permits for those with several condos

Just now, InMyShadow said:

It's Correct. If it wasn't, there would be the biggest crackdown in Thailand. HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS  hit with back taxes in the billions of baht 

So I guess the authorities must of forget LMAO 

Nobody has ever paid a dime in tax. And then of course there would be the issue of work permits for those with several condos

well I wonder why I have been paying tax on my property investments for the past 10 years um!!!!

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Excuse me but they ARE required to (but usually don't). Also the Hotel Act requires 30+ days minimum rentals. In fact I fully expect them to come after non-tax payers at some point as well as the 'standard valuations' that costs the country billions a year when property is sold.

What's 30 days got to do with it? That's mainly air bnb. 

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

What's 30 days got to do with it? That's mainly air bnb. 

You really don't understand what AirBnb is, i.e. an intermediary platform to match property owners with renters, do you?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pilotman said:

well I wonder why I have been paying tax on my property investments for the past 10 years um!!!!

How many, are you a company? If you are running commercial then that's a different thing. 

If you are not then what a waste of money! 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, lkv said:

You really don't understand what AirBnb is, i.e. an intermediary platform to match property owners with renters, do you?

2 properties with air bnb both occupied as I type. Good luck getting a landlord to rent you a condo under 30 days (even if it were legal) 

Again your out of your depth 

Edited by InMyShadow

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:

2 properties with air bnb both occupied as I type. Good luck getting a landlord to rent you a condo under 30 days 

Again your out of your depth 

You must be trolling ?

• Like 1