Something To Do

ThaiPauly

It's always interesting to read old threads. IMO the discussions were way more interesting when I joined. Lots of threads about the sex trade and ladyboys etc. TVF has become very tame in comparison in recent years.

Very noticeable as to posters that are no longer around.

• Like 1

You really should get a new TV.  Mr. Bitey knocked ours off the counter a couple months ago and we've been "making do" since it still was kinda working, only it had multi-colored lines that obscured the right 1/4 and top 1/4 of the screen.  Since Hubby's favorite programs are the news programs, I figured how much does he really need to see of talking heads anyway and resisted getting a new TV since we're going to relocate our condo in a few months and may want one of a different size.  

Then the Phantom of the Opera's 25th Anniversary London performance was shown on a Truevisions channel and Hubby had fun smirking, "how much of the Phantom do you really need to see, aren't you just listening to the music"?

So, I said, OK smartiepants, go buy a new TV tomorrow, which he did.  The flatscreens have really come down in price, the quality is great, and, most importantly, it's mounted on two pedestals, not just one in the middle, making it more difficult for Mr. Bitey to push over the edge.  Oh yeah, we put it on a non-slip mat, too. 

18 minutes ago, NancyL said:

You really should get a new TV.  Mr. Bitey knocked ours off the counter a couple months ago and we've been "making do" since it still was kinda working, only it had multi-colored lines that obscured the right 1/4 and top 1/4 of the screen.  Since Hubby's favorite programs are the news programs, I figured how much does he really need to see of talking heads anyway and resisted getting a new TV since we're going to relocate our condo in a few months and may want one of a different size.  

Then the Phantom of the Opera's 25th Anniversary London performance was shown on a Truevisions channel and Hubby had fun smirking, "how much of the Phantom do you really need to see, aren't you just listening to the music"?

So, I said, OK smartiepants, go buy a new TV tomorrow, which he did.  The flatscreens have really come down in price, the quality is great, and, most importantly, it's mounted on two pedestals, not just one in the middle, making it more difficult for Mr. Bitey to push over the edge.  Oh yeah, we put it on a non-slip mat, too. 

Sounds to me like Mr. Bitey needs some behavioral training.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's always interesting to read old threads. IMO the discussions were way more interesting when I joined. Lots of threads about the sex trade and ladyboys etc. TVF has become very tame in comparison in recent years.

Very noticeable as to posters that are no longer around.

Sex talk gets boring.

13 minutes ago, Tacuisse said:

Sounds to me like Mr. Bitey needs some behavioral training.

He's a cat.  The options for "behavioral training" of a cat are limited.  He did look guilty afterwards, but probably only because his sister couldn't share the rap, being sound asleep in another room at the time.  

The TV sits on a counter that is his launching pad to get on top of the kitchen cabinets.  Actually, it was really our fault.  It was the third time he'd knocked the TV (it's a small flatscreen) off the counter, but the first time he'd done damage.  We should have put it on a non-skid pad after the first time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven`t watched TV for years, don`t need it.

Have a PC with a large monitor and watch all my favourite programmes, movies and much more online. YouTube, Daily Motion and many other channels available, all for free. At night when everyone has gone to bed, I plug in my ear phones and well content.

As for Thai Visa, 14 years is a long time, people move on, people get old and people die, also back then the social media was in it`s infancy, so we cannot expect it to remain the same, thus is life. TV has adapted and maybe some of it`s members should do the same, because good times are only good when we`re having them, after they just become fond memories.

11 hours ago, NancyL said:

He's a cat.  The options for "behavioral training" of a cat are limited.  He did look guilty afterwards, but probably only because his sister couldn't share the rap, being sound asleep in another room at the time.  

The TV sits on a counter that is his launching pad to get on top of the kitchen cabinets.  Actually, it was really our fault.  It was the third time he'd knocked the TV (it's a small flatscreen) off the counter, but the first time he'd done damage.  We should have put it on a non-skid pad after the first time.  

Training a cat to stay off no-go zones can be achieved by spreading something sticky ( e.g. flypaper ) in the area. Cats hate anything that sticks to their paws, and will give the area a wide berth after a couple of experiences.

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

My TV is working again now thanks

14 hours ago, NancyL said:

The new TV is a Samsung Smart TV and it directly taps into YouTube, Netflix, etc through our wifi router.  Better quality picture than with a computer monitor and easier to use from a lounge chair.

I know it's off topic but I have a smart TV (LG in my case) too. Have you thought of wall mounting?  I'd recommend getting Pulse TV for news and Netflix for tons of great series etc. I ditched the totally awful and expensive TrueVisions ages ago and never looked back. Im now paying around 1200 for the two providers and saving 800 but, most importantly, NO repeats and losing great channels because True wants to save money.

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

And as usual half the posts off topic. ?

That's what can make a thread entertaining. Perhaps you should widen your horizons.

We would never have heard of Mr. Bitey and his anti-social behavior if everybody stuck to the script.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tacuisse said:

That's what can make a thread entertaining. Perhaps you should widen your horizons.

We would never have heard of Mr. Bitey and his anti-social behavior if everybody stuck to the script.

Perhaps you should read some of Mr Bitey's  owner's previous posts?

2 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Perhaps you should read some of Mr Bitey's  owner's previous posts?

Perhaps I don't have the attention span or energy to trawl through every post on TV. Believe it or not, I do have other things to do.

6 minutes ago, Tacuisse said:

Perhaps I don't have the attention span or energy to trawl through every post on TV. Believe it or not, I do have other things to do.

Interesting response when you are actually replying to a thread that suggests that you look up previous threads over the years don't you think?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Interesting response when you are actually replying to a thread that suggests that you look up previous threads over the years don't you think?

I'm replying to a post which discussed a cat's behavior. The original post starting the thread didn't really interest me, a bit morbid. Can you understand the distinction?

10 minutes ago, Tacuisse said:

I'm replying to a post which discussed a cat's behavior. The original post starting the thread didn't really interest me, a bit morbid. Can you understand the distinction?

Welcome to the forum you will fit in very well with some of the posters on here you're a natural.

Damn, off topic again.

Believe me, tried to figure out wall mounting for the  TV that suffered some of Mr. Bitey's "attentions", but it's on an "island" kitchen counter and the best idea we could come up with, but never implemented was hanging it from the ceiling. 

We have another TV, fairly large, that is wall mounted, on an arm that swings out to where I thought we could watch that big TV from the kitchen.  All that did was create a new height to scale for Mr. Bitey, to jump up on the arm and hang around between the big TV and the wall, making the TV shake precariously.  We decided not to use the TV in this mode, afraid that Mr. Bitey and the TV would come crashing down off the wall mount.  And that TV isn't as small and cheap as the little one on the kitchen island.  

So now, the big TV stays as a simple wall mount, no fancy projection and rotation of the mounting arm.

On 6/17/2018 at 5:19 PM, NancyL said:

wow your husband needs your permission to buy a tv??

5 hours ago, rickthailand said:

wow your husband needs your permission to buy a tv??

We have joint agreement on purchases over 5000 baht.  Been together over 40 years.  There is no "his money" "her money", one partner getting 'an allowance' in this arrangement. Works well without the power plays so typical of partnerships where one has greater economic power than the other.

(Of course it helps that we both can speak the same language and he can point out the irony that I was perfectly OK with a damaged screen watching news shows until one of my favorite movies was broadcast and we could both laugh about that.)

On 6/18/2018 at 6:16 AM, Tacuisse said:

Training a cat to stay off no-go zones can be achieved by spreading something sticky ( e.g. flypaper ) in the area. Cats hate anything that sticks to their paws, and will give the area a wide berth after a couple of experiences.

around my place a cat that jumps onto a table or a counter gets knocked across the room very rapidly.

believe me, they do learn.