bikes for adults ?

poanoi

just tried sitting on a forza, then some other scooters, a filano and scooby?,

they are all too small, handle bar meet knee during turn kinda thing.

in the past, i made do with sitting on the passenger seat

and reach for the handle bar with straight arms,

but i'm getting old and its getting old to sit uncomfortable.

is there anything in LOS that isnt too small beside a chopper ?

Lots of guys I know ride regular bikes without issue.. How tall are you???

I use a Yamaha Trinity (155cc ABS) I'm 183cm - splitting traffic in BKK along with all the other bikes, it has excellent breaking, perfectly normal motorcycle handling (slightly heavier on the front though) measurably safer in wet and greasy conditions... 

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

handle bar meet knee during turn kinda thing.

Do you ride with the man spread thing happening or are you 7 feet tall?  OR did you ride your chopper with legs straight on the opposite of  rear-sets?

But I suppose smaller is cheaper, so local scooters/bikes are made for locals. That being said the Dutch ride lots of mopeds and they are the tallest nationality. Luckily I have not had a problem and can ride a Honda Cub or any other bike sold here.

As for adult? Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional! 

i'm 195 cm 6'4, i think my shins are above average

for my height.

i dont understand " man spread thing happening "

i think i might have moved the foot pegs forward a bit (custom)

i remember i had a modded adjustable piston that moves the gear,

my legs were around 90 degree and formidably comfortable,

god that was one comfortable bike

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Would handlebar raisers help? I expect they are available for most scooters. Could possibly be adjusted to give a longer reach too (not sure about that).

yes, i have been thinking about it,

i made no less than 5 handle bars for the chopper before i went back to original,

and its also possible to make the seat thicker to make it all come together.

But: the filano that was my 2nd choice due to the seat shape,

(which would make it OK in the looks apartment)

turned out to have the handle bar built in plastic, so its not doable

The only larger/taller scooter I can think of is the Honda SH150 (or 150i), but new ones are not available here since around 2016 - seems they weren't popular as they were too tall for the locals.

Maybe try to find a used one.

This one is sold, but gives you an idea about the bike.

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/honda-sh-150-the-big-man-scooter--176342

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The only larger/taller scooter I can think of is the Honda SH150 (or 150i), but new ones are not available here since around 2016 - seems they weren't popular as they were too tall for the locals.

Maybe try to find a used one.

This one is sold, but gives you an idea about the bike.

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/honda-sh-150-the-big-man-scooter--176342

yes, if i knew where anyone is i would go there to try it, but alas

I am only 186cm. I rode the "small" Suzuki Raider for years without problem.

Now I bought a bigger bike but sometimes I still use the Raider.

Now, after riding the big bike, on the first couple of meters it feels like a toy. But soon that is forgotten and it feels just like a nimble bike which is perfect for Bangkok traffic.

And about sitting on the passenger seat: Yes, you can do that. But the bike is A LOT easier to maneuver if you sit on the front seat.

Not as tall as you, only 185 cm. But I have a PCX 150, hated the stock seat so changed it to a seat where I can move back and forth freely.  Made all the difference. Never understood the Japanese way of forcing you into only one riding position.

6 minutes ago, jchfriis said:

Not as tall as you, only 185 cm. But I have a PCX 150, hated the stock seat so changed it to a seat where I can move back and forth freely.  Made all the difference. Never understood the Japanese way of forcing you into only one riding position.

i changed the seat on one scooter so the entire seat was parallel

to the ground, but it was fugly like hell,

and i still had to slide so far back so my arms were stretched.

i think the filano seat is the most suited to mod,

but that bike was horribly cramped, i would need

to raise the handle bar nearly half a meter,

so in the end it would be fugly.

the forza almost fitted, and since the handle bar isnt

inside a bunch of plastic, it wouldnt be too much

of an operation to change handle bar & associated wires, except i donno if the old modders are still around on the places they were back in the day

All this is anecdotal?  An average chair is 18-20" high. When sitting in a chair with my foot flat on the ground the distance between the floor and the top of my knee is 20 1/2 inches or 52cm. This does not include say 2cm for shoes.

Poanoi if you sit in a chair what is the height from the floor to the top of your knee?  Once you know this you can take a tape measure to the dealership?

OR measure your inseam and use  http://cycle-ergo.com/ There are a fair number of scooters on there. Vespa/PCX/Nuovo/Forza/SYM et al.

17 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

All this is anecdotal?  An average chair is 18-20" high. When sitting in a chair with my foot flat on the ground the distance between the floor and the top of my knee is 20 1/2 inches or 52cm. This does not include say 2cm for shoes.

Poanoi if you sit in a chair what is the height from the floor to the top of your knee?  Once you know this you can take a tape measure to the dealership?

OR measure your inseam and use  http://cycle-ergo.com/ There are a fair number of scooters on there. Vespa/PCX/Nuovo/Forza/SYM et al.

its 60 cm bare foot, hopefully the shoes i just ordered will fit

so its going to be a bit more.

i'm beginning to feel resentment over the endless pygmy stuff here, i havnt walked in human shoes for almost 20 years now, just flip flops day in and out

i think there is no way around having to mod the bike in question,

and that all but exclude the latest scooters when a plastic floor

replaced the foot pegs that could be relocated

i didnt fit on the forza so i presume the rest is out too

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

i didnt fit on the forza so i presume the rest is out too

I used 35 as an inseam for you. You'll have to look at say SYM Joymax 400 or an adventure bike like Honda CRF300 or a Kawasaki Versys.

Outside chance but they are unobtanium?  Honda SH150i  looks to have marginally more room than a Forza? 

OR as has been said get a Forza and add some bar risers. You'll need to know the diameter of the stock handlebars 

swmotech-22mm-vario-barback-risers-l.gif

There are many types even one's listed for Forza and PCX on Aliexpress/eBay et al.

48 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I used 35 as an inseam for you. You'll have to look at say SYM Joymax 400 or an adventure bike like Honda CRF300 or a Kawasaki Versys.

Outside chance but they are unobtanium?  Honda SH150i  looks to have marginally more room than a Forza? 

OR as has been said get a Forza and add some bar risers. You'll need to know the diameter of the stock handlebars 

swmotech-22mm-vario-barback-risers-l.gif

There are many types even one's listed for Forza and PCX on Aliexpress/eBay et al.

thats actually a brilliant idea, but how do you go about

to know if it fits the forza ?

i'm currently googling aliexpress, i dont think i can have success

in USA without an US address and/or paypal

ed: found it i think

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC-motorcycle-handlebar-riser-Heightening-device-for-Honda-CB400-MSX125-FORZA-MF06-08-10-M3-PCX125/32817971505.html

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Then maybe a scooter is not for you and you have to get a "real" motorbike (just make sure it's not a model made specifically for the asian market)

i have been scanning internet but i cant find a big chopper at a good price,

and if i buy one, and do a back surgery too, i wont have money left to

qualify for retirement visa, so i'm in a tight spot and have to do with

a modded scooter. i also dont feel like spending anything that

i cant walk away from without resentment

Then don't limit it to choppers (what about the vulcan 650? I think this looks quite good for a chopper and not sooo expensive)

A cheap tall bike would be for example the Honda CRF250 (L or Rally) you could probably even lower the foot pegs.

2 hours ago, poanoi said:

thats actually a brilliant idea, but how do you go about

to know if it fits the forza ?

i'm currently googling aliexpress, i dont think i can have success

in USA without an US address and/or paypal

ed: found it i think

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC-motorcycle-handlebar-riser-Heightening-device-for-Honda-CB400-MSX125-FORZA-MF06-08-10-M3-PCX125/32817971505.html

As far as I can see these move the bar back and up not just up. Probably to avoid the speedo on a MSX/Grom? 

You need something that simply raises the bars like this and doesn't move them back.

pcx_125_fd-1600x1080.jpg

Now having established that these are available we just need to establish what scooter you have/want and what the diameter of the handle bars is. Then we are all set?

Take a picture like this. Go to a local mocy taxi stand and gesticulate. They'll take you somewhere that probably has them?

The ones pictured in my post above apparently are "converters" that allow the change to a different diameter bar.

17 hours ago, AllanB said:

CRF250 and if you manage to catch your knees on that..get up/stand up.

oh, no, my ar$e is a delicate piece of machinery,

i can not sit on a seat like that, i need a soft, well cushioned, comfy, ole man seat,

specifically designed to absorb impact.

my back is also nearly broken, i need to sit,

and there is no cushion between the hard parts in the spine, the seat need to make up for the spine deficit.

i once tried to sit on the seat on one of those cross bikes at a shop, cause those africa twins looks rather nice, but OMGTWF what a joke of a seat,

it was painful just the few seconds my ar$e touched that seat, NO WAY i sit on that no matter pay

Archived