BMA to buy 10,000 fire extinguishers for Bangkok communities as current equipment past expiry date

snoop1130

BMA to buy 10,000 fire extinguishers for Bangkok communities as current equipment past expiry date

By The Nation

5ac0c960e2b6d45f9ba9130cc7bf5385.jpeg

File photo

All fire extinguishers installed in the capital’s communities are now past their expiry date and the city administration will have to buy 10,000 cylinders to replace them, a deputy Bangkok governor said on Tuesday.

Sakonthee Phatthiyakul, deputy governor of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, said the fire extinguishers had been installed for communities across the capital in 2011 and they had only a five-year usage period, hence all of them had by now expired.

BMA officials will spend 15 days surveying the need for extinguishers in communities, district offices, schools and temples, and will then seek an allocation from the agency’s fiscal 2019 budget to buy new extinguishers for them, he explained.

He said the officials would survey which type of extinguishers would be needed for each location. 

There are two types of fire extinguisher, one with a dry chemical and costing Bt1,600, and the other with a liquid chemical and costing Bt4,000. 

Sakonthee said the liquid-chemical type would be needed for fires caused by petrol or specific chemicals, while the dry-chemical extinguishers was suitable for general fires.

He added that the BMA had also allocated Bt25 million for training 2,000 volunteers to fight fires.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30348122

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-6-19

Did the city initially purchase disposable extinguishers, or are they unaware that

there are rechargeable types? 10,000 units is one hellofa' "throwaway", as well as

an equally lucrative contract :closedeyes: 

Annual servicing and testing, as done in most civilised countries, would have been all that's required......but I guess there's no commissions in that!

These people are so blatantly crooked and no-one knows better!

• Like 1

A few new Mercs on order, a few happy mia nois, bloody criminal thats what it is.

10.000 new fire extinguishers why?

Nobody heard of re-charging/ servicing?

Ops silly me, no scamming can be done by doing that.

Thieving from the destitute, now we have thieving on safety equipment.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

A few new Mercs on order, a few happy mia nois, bloody criminal thats what it is.

10.000 new fire extinguishers why?

Nobody heard of re-charging/ servicing?

Ops silly me, no scamming can be done by doing that.

Thieving from the destitute, now we have thieving on safety equipment.

Why do you believe scamming isn't possible with a service contract?

6 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Why do you believe scamming isn't possible with a service contract?

My comment was slightly wrong, should have said, scamming on a service contract is nothing  like as lucrative as buying new.

As mentioned by previous comments, fire extinguishers are made to be retested and used for many years. You only replace them when the tests, normally hydraulic, fail. Also go to your local DIY store and you can buy them cheaper. Providing foam extinguishers for inexperience persons use is a receipt for disaster.

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Annual servicing and testing, as done in most civilised countries, would have been all that's required......but I guess there's no commissions in that!

These people are so blatantly crooked and no-one knows better!

Maybe they don't know that when they expire they can be recharged. Someone should tell them.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

My comment was slightly wrong, should have said, scamming on a service contract is nothing  like as lucrative as buying new.

Got it.

That makes sense.

?    ?

Edited by watcharacters

6 years without testing ! In Holland (companies) they were tested once every year, now every 2 years and then you REFILL it again. I had fire drills with the "older", to be refilled again, containers. Sometimes you had one not working !

But never the less, every time control on working and then refill. As they are standing idle most of the time, luckily.

You have powder, CO2, foam and halon, the last one however not just common, rare.

The powder ones can affect electrical wiring, print boards, but ok if you have a fire you want it out. So if you use it for your car with a starting fire, your electronics will be gone and will be scrap. The powder is very fine and gets everywhere. You also can diarrhea from inhaling. And with the CO2, you shouldnt touch it, otherwise you are on fire, extreme cold.   

I'm no expert on fire extinguisher types, so let me ask this question:

Are all fire extinguisher models they could have bought back in 2011 serviceable and rechargeable, or is it possible their original purchase was of some types on the cheap that are not serviceable?

I just hope the new fire extinguishers -- if there ever are any in reality -- don't end up in the same place as the "new" BMA fire engines and fire boats (which remain sitting slowly rotting in a yard in BKK somewhere).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK