Inviting Thai to US

I was going to stay in a guest house in Chiang Mai during the summer months but I had to cancel the trip because my real estate transaction. I even bought a flight ticket with no refund option. we exchanged mails quite for a while and she seems a very nice person. It seems my apology is not enough to do justice for her. But I will not most likely to make the trip in the future and I don't intend to find a companionship with anyone for the rest of life. So I decided to invite her to US as a tourist at my expense for all instead. Maybe for a couple weeks or a little more.

She told me in order for her to apply a tourist visa to US, I have to see her in Thailand for once or twice. It doesn't sound right.

Then any Thai who want to visit US for sightseeing have to have some US citizen to visit them in Thai beforehand?  

I am very sincere in this friendship and have absolutely no intention of crossing the line beyond that.

Anyone have insight? 

• Haha 1

I have to confess that I'm not up to speed with US Immigration procedures but I'll offer my opinion, for what it's worth.

Of course a Thai person who plans to visit the US as a tourist or for business or study purposes wouldn't need a US Citizen visiting them first, I suspect that a vast number of Thai people planning to visit the US do so at their own expense, so wouldn't need a sponsor.

Likewise, I'm a Brit my wife is Thai, so if my wife and I decided to visit the US we certainly wouldn't need an American to visit us here in Thailand.

Your position is very very different, you want to invite a person that it seems you've never met to visit you in the US at your expense, in fact you don't even say who "she" is, is she the owner or maybe an employee of the guest house you planned to stay at? If this lady isn't planning on paying for her trip she would have to satisfy the Consular Official that it's reasonable for a casual aquaintance that she has never met to pay for her trip, put yourself in the shoes of the decision maker, what would you think?

Even if she managed to clear that hurdle, and it's a very big if, she would still need to satisfy the official that she had sufficiently strong ties to Thailand to satisfy them that she would return to her home here, that maybe an even bigger hurdle.

Even if you visited her in Thailand it wouldn't be a slam dunk, it would really depend on her personal circumstances.

• Like 1

Well the point about you needing to visit her in Thailand before she would get a US tourist visa is pretty bogus.

If I had to guess, maybe as a woman she is a little anxious about getting on a plane to a country she's never been to, to stay with a man she's never met in the flesh, hence the story about needing you to visit first. I think a lot of woman would be wary, if not just downright scared.

That all being said, getting a US tourist visa for Thai's is notoriously hard, with nothing better than 50:50 chance at best of it getting approved.

She'd need to show ties to Thailand, solid employment, money in bank etc etc. Paradoxically mentioning you seems to make things harder, since I'm assuming that the thought process of the CO at the interview goes, that once in the country you'll marry or in some other way she'd not return

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your advice. I was a little busy to check this forum. 

It seems there exists a lot of gray area for what I intended to do. 

I know by heart I am not a type of person breaking my words but it is just my a word.

Absolutely I will not marry and am not looking for woman for sexual pleasure.

I don't think I will meet any one like my late wife. Tried couple of times but it was not worth at all. 

Just felt sorry that I couldn't keep the promise to stay her place. 

Looks like not much else I can do for her. 

I wish her good luck and all the best. 

Thanks guys. 

• Like 1