Horrifying video shows GIANT snake trying to swallow Thai soi dog

webfact

11 hours ago, kannot said:

id  say  its  doing a  good  service to Thailand, hardly graphic.

yep, there should be an intensive python breeding programme put in place as an aid to reducing the soi dog problem 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Understand the snakes got to eat too, but am glad the Thai's that freed the dog, didn't kill the Python, a win/win situation of the dog and snake

It's not win/win... the python lost its meal... so now its going to have to find another dog to eat somewhere else, preferably well away from idiots with sticks.

Predators and prey - it's nature at work - leave them alone!

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tropo said:

It's not win/win... the python lost its meal... so now its going to have to find another dog to eat somewhere else, preferably well away from idiots with sticks.

Predators and prey - it's nature at work - leave them alone!

So if you should someday find yourself in the same unfortunate predicament as the dog in the video you will wave off any would be rescuers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never dealt with a snake so big.   Know they are strong and the bite us nasty for infection, but it seems like these guys were a but shy in helping.   There was no way the snake can bit when it's got a dog in it's mouth.  I would have found and grabbed the tail right away.   But if i knew it was a sound dig I would have said it's time for a leo and to watch it swallow the dog. 

What I see is a nature video, why is man interfering in something so natural.  A python has to eat like everything else and there are plenty of soil dogs to go round.  The dog will now probably suffer a slow agonising death and die from infection as a result of the fangs.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

True, but they can go for up to 6 months without food, poor bugger 555

True but it is natural for a snake to hunt as it is with any animal. Intervening if not letting nature take its course

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, upu2 said:

True but it is natural for a snake to hunt as it is with any animal. Intervening if not letting nature take its course

That's the obvious, but as humans we intervene, right or wrong, in this scenario the snake did well not to be butchered with one of those machetes

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mok199 said:

the tail wagging is truly hilarious...'' I found my bone that went missing yesterday''

The poor dog wagging it's tail was horrifying, not hilarious from my POV - but your comment "I found my bone that went missing yesterday" was very funny!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

What I see is a nature video, why is man interfering in something so natural.  A python has to eat like everything else and there are plenty of soil dogs to go round.  The dog will now probably suffer a slow agonising death and die from infection as a result of the fangs.

Which brings us back to oslooskar's extremely pertinent comment -

10 hours ago, oslooskar said:

So if you should someday find yourself in the same unfortunate predicament as the dog in the video you will wave off any would be rescuers?

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

The poor dog wagging it's tail was horrifying, not hilarious from my POV - but your comment "I found my bone that went missing yesterday" was very funny!

had the video not ended happily , I would have never used the term '' hillarious'' I just hope the poor bugger has no lasting phsycological and emotional trauma..have a good day sir

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

That's the obvious, but as humans we intervene, right or wrong, in this scenario the snake did well not to be butchered with one of those machetes

True it did live to eat another day

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tropo said:

There are exceptions to every rule. If it is a family pet, or a family member I may try to prevent it.

You're trying to draw distinctions when there aren't any. In fact, the only difference between you and the Thais with sticks is that they are true to their convictions, whereas, you are not.

23 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

You're trying to draw distinctions when there aren't any. In fact, the only difference between you and the Thais with sticks is that they are true to their convictions, whereas, you are not.

I would definitely have watched the soi dog being eaten and would never have interfered. I find constrictor snakes eating animals fascinating. I like snakes, but hate soi dogs, so the decision would be easy. I'd get my camera out and film it.

Don't freak out too much. The victim animal soon passes out due to lack of air as the snake constricts the rib cage, so it really won't be suffering through the eating phase.

Edited by tropo

Hey come on people please get your facts correct !  

The Python is an constriction killer, it grabs its prey to hold on to it and then wraps it’s body around the prey and squeezes it to death.

Only after all life has gone from the prey does the snake attempt to eat it, that is because it will take up to an hour to dislocate it’s jaw to enable it to swallow.

The Python is not a venom killer and therefore does not have Fangs in the conventional sense, it has backwards facing teeth which enable it to hold on to it’s prey ( the portion being held would have to be pushed back towards the throat to free it unless you or the prey rips itself away, it is also very difficult for the snake to release once it has a hold whilst the prey is alive ), after death the Python can then release and uses the teeth and it’s muscles to draw the prey in and swallow.

Given the size of the dog it would have taken several hours for the snake to accomplish this.

If one looks in a natural history museum or even Google it and you will see that in the jaw there are row upon row of needle sharp teeth all pointing backwards.

So please do not scare the proverbial out of people by intimating that Python, Boa constrictors and this type of snake are venom killers and have fangs because they are not and do not, but giving that impression leads people into believing it is right to kill these beautiful animals.

Luckily for the dog people were on hand to rescue it, unluckily for the Python it was deprived of a meal it had probably waited 6 months for, one can only hope now that it does not hang around the village and finds it’s next victim in the shape of a child.

Had natural events taken place and the snake was in the process of swallowing the dog it could have been captured in a defenceless state and shipped many kilometres out into the jungle and away from villagers but now it is anyone’s guess as to whether it will move on or not.

Look, dudes, snake vs. doggie, most humans are going to be feeling sympathy with the dogs.

Because dogs and humans have a deep evolutionary connection which has developed for thousands of years. 

Would they have bothered to save a rabbit? I think not.

A cat? I hope not.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, tropo said:

I would definitely have watched the soi dog being eaten and would never have interfered. I find constrictor snakes eating animals fascinating. I like snakes, but hate soi dogs, so the decision would be easy. I'd get my camera out and film it.

It did not go unnoticed that you skirted my initial question and left it unanswered.

On 6/21/2018 at 3:50 AM, stanleycoin said:
On 6/21/2018 at 3:31 AM, SmartyMarty said:

If this happened in USA the police would arrive and "accidentally" shoot black onlookers,

That's a bit naughty. ?

Maybe...

But they say no smoke without fire.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

It did not go unnoticed that you skirted my initial question and left it unanswered.

It didn't go unnoticed that you're asking silly questions that don't deserve answers.

7 hours ago, Janner1 said:

Hey come on people please get your facts correct !  

The Python is an constriction killer, it grabs its prey to hold on to it and then wraps it’s body around the prey and squeezes it to death.

Although the action of constricting does kill its prey, death usually comes from asphyxiation by restricting breathing, not crushing as many believe.

Edited by tropo