Researchers test trolley buses on Pattaya routes

Rimmer

Researchers test trolley buses on Pattaya routes

image.png

PATTAYA:Thammasat University researchers tested electric trolley buses in Pattaya as part of the city’s flirtation with a new mass-transit system.

Faculty of Architecture and Planning researchers ran the rubber-wheeled trollies on four routes between June 13 and 17. The cars ran from Naklua to central Pattaya, North Pattaya to the city’s train station, North Pattaya to central and South Pattaya, and from central Pattaya to Jomtien Beach.

Pattaya officials in 2016 proposed that a light-rail or tram system be built, with variations on the plan calling for a loop between North and South Pattaya on Beach and Second roads, or just a single track on one of those streets.

The trolley system is based on one already being built in Khon Kaen, hence the “Khon Kaen Model” moniker.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/researchers-test-trolley-buses-pattaya-routes-213482

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-06-22

• Haha 1

How does a trolleybus deviate from a normal bus?

I thought they ran on tram rails? would stop them from deviating from the official route...

decorate them with fairy lights, send them down Walking St and past Pattaya Tower then TAT could advertise Pattaya as the Blackpool of Asia...

Illuminated_Tram_Frigate.jpg.fe3d859d3e4d9878c9b49b8bf32b69ad.jpg

Edited by Basil B
  • Haha 1

In Bornemouth trolley buses ran on normal roads and were powered by poles connected to the power lines above the road. they were limited to where the overhead power lines ran and at the ends of the there were turntables.

The poles were disconnected, the trolleybus turned around, the poles reconnected and the bus went back the other way on another set of lines.

Trams ran on fixed rails on the roadbed.

Bournemouth trolley bus.jpg

birmingham tram.jpg

On 6/27/2018 at 3:00 PM, essox essox said:

this is a trolly bus, NOT what they want to use in pattayaLast%2BBus.jpg

I rode on that on that last day - god makes me realize how old I am....

Further point, Pattaya has serious traffic jams in several areas every day and on week-ends / public holidays the jams are often horrendous. So why put more (and bigger) vehicles on the roads, unless the fares are very small (therefore subsidized) to get some folks out of their cards, but I guess another factor to make this to be an attractive transport alternative is a number of well designed routes.

On the other hand would it be better to design and install an overhead light monorail with many routes, with very small fares, and with just a few minutes between each train, to make it attractive, and also hopefully reduce the cars on the roads?

There was talk of a monorail from the fast train Pattaya station (which from my understanding is planned to be just outside of the main city area) to a very central in town station. Perhaps the in-town station could be a terminus for a comprehensive monorail system covering many routes / locations in Pattaya? 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:54 AM, scorecard said:

Further point, Pattaya has serious traffic jams in several areas every day and on week-ends / public holidays the jams are often horrendous. So why put more (and bigger) vehicles on the roads, unless the fares are very small (therefore subsidized) to get some folks out of their cards, but I guess another factor to make this to be an attractive transport alternative is a number of well designed routes.

On the other hand would it be better to design and install an overhead light monorail with many routes, with very small fares, and with just a few minutes between each train, to make it attractive, and also hopefully reduce the cars on the roads?

There was talk of a monorail from the fast train Pattaya station (which from my understanding is planned to be just outside of the main city area) to a very central in town station. Perhaps the in-town station could be a terminus for a comprehensive monorail system covering many routes / locations in Pattaya? 

An overhead system is the only workable solution in Pattaya, where traffic is appalling. However, the return on investment would not be sufficient to make it an attractive proposition, unless it ran from the port to the border, including the airport. Whatever they do, expect the "solution" to make traffic worse, even if only for a few years.

I'm afraid I have missed the point. Why do they need to have buses that are strung up to overhead wires? Why not just get some regular low-emissions hybrid-fuel green buses? Only a little bit of Seattle uses the overhead wire buses I posted a pic of, most buses in the Seattle metro area are some other kind of cleaner-than-diesel alternatives. If they're green enough for Seattle they ought to be fine for Pattaya. Or forget big buses entirely and simply require baht buses to be low-emission types.

What is the point: to reduce pollution, reduce congestion, improve transportation alternatives for the people, or gain a lot of face by investing in some fancy system they don't need?

It would appear this bus isn't a trolley bus after all, but a battery bus - the PEA ZE-bus - Provincial Electricity Authority Zero Emissions Bus.

So there will be no overhead wires after all.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, jerry921 said:

I'm afraid I have missed the point. Why do they need to have buses that are strung up to overhead wires? Why not just get some regular low-emissions hybrid-fuel green buses? Only a little bit of Seattle uses the overhead wire buses I posted a pic of, most buses in the Seattle metro area are some other kind of cleaner-than-diesel alternatives. If they're green enough for Seattle they ought to be fine for Pattaya. Or forget big buses entirely and simply require baht buses to be low-emission types.

What is the point: to reduce pollution, reduce congestion, improve transportation alternatives for the people, or gain a lot of face by investing in some fancy system they don't need?

Nothing to do with pollution. Pattaya traffic is impossible and no road based solution possible as long as hundreds of baht buses clog up the roads.

Also, some people would probably benefit for the usual reason.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nothing to do with pollution. Pattaya traffic is impossible and no road based solution possible as long as hundreds of baht buses clog up the roads.

Also, some people would probably benefit for the usual reason.

It's not the Baht buses that are the problem it's those damn push carts and food stalls that intrude on the roadway that is the problem. Until the Pattaya council has the BALLS to clean up this problem Pattaya will always be a nightmare to drive around. I note they cleaned them up on Beach road and 2nd road only to create one hell of a mess on Soi Bukhaow 3rd road and associated side Soi's. Get off your ARSE Pattaya council and look after your ratepayers.

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

can not stop OLD FATHER time !!!...

Yu from bradford ARE YOU???

Na - came on a bus trip from Southport to visit for the day specially - was the first (and last!) time I rode on a trolley  bus - in the UK at least. 

Group I was with bought one of the buses (and some overhead) for preservation.