Los Becoming Like An Old People's Home

Neeranam

Most of the older farangs I've seen in KKC are repulsive-looking...pretty obvious what they are there for. Quite an eyesore to everyone.

Why don't you post a pic of your lovely self then, Narcissus? Doubtless you're here modelling for the Chippendales' 2008 calendar or whatever, no? :o

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Red Eyes, Deep Purple? Love ya!

Yep, Papaya9, ugly farang? Kind of like the personification of durian but with bad looks added to the bad smell. But Asians love the fruit! Get past the exterior, dear. Probably alot of wisdom to find. If you cannot figure it out, think of Yoda in Star Wars.

Interesting that one rarely sees disfigured, disabled or mentally challenged Thai people, whether young or old. This is because the families keep them hidden away to hide the shame. This is a travesty of life.

So, that said, when we get old, should we just go commit suicide to clear the streets for pretty airheads and forum trash?

The OP is clearly seeking serious insight into this phenomenon that he has just recently observed. It is explained in no less a tome than Hansard (the official record of parliamentary debates in the U.K.) http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...xt/91202-25.htmhttp://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...xt/91202-25.htm - To make it easy, I have extracted the relevant portion of the debate hereunder. Does the OP imagine that the British Embassy is not in communication with the Thai government on this issue?

The Right Hon. Mr. Desmond Browne (MP for Kilmarnock and Loudoun) is addressing Parliament:

I shall digress for a few minutes to instruct the House that that is not a new idea. As I was preparing for the debate, I was reminded of a Para Handy tale. As some hon. Members may know, the great Para Handy tales were written by Neil Munro at the turn of the century, at just about the same time as pensions were being introduced. They are a wonderful set of short stories about the Vital Spark, the puffer that plied its trade up and down the Clyde crewed by Para Handy the captain, the chief engineer, and Dougie, the boy.

Tale No. 27 is entitled "Pension Farms". It was written in 1906. Let me set the scene for the House:

"The Vital Spark was making for Lochgoilhead, Dougie at the wheel, and the Captain straddled on a waterbreaker, humming Gaelic songs, because he felt magnificent after his weekly shave."

As they were looking over what they call the Glasgow promontory, Macphail was musing that there was a hen farm at the end of the promontory, and he had always wanted a hen farm. Para Handy told Macphail that he did not want one of those; what he wanted was a pension farm. The tale continues:

"'Rearin pensioners?' remarked Macphail, 'ye would lie oot o' your money a lang while rearin pensioners; ye micht as weel start growin' trees.'

'Not at aal, not at aal!' said Para Handy, 'there's quick returns in pensioners if you put your mind to the thing and use a little caation. Up in the Islands, now, the folks iss givin' up their crofts and makin' a kind o' ferm o' their aged relations.

I have a cousin yonder oot in Gigha wi' a stock o' five fine healthy uncles--no' a man o'them under seventy. There's another frien' o' my own in Mull wi' thirteen heid o'chenuine old Macleans. He gaithered them aboot the islands wi' a boat whenever the rumours o' the pensions started. Their frien's had no idea what he wanted wi' them, and were glad to get them off their hands. 'It's chust a notion that I took,' he said, 'for company; they're great amusement on a winter night,' and he got his pick o' the best o' them. It wassna every wan he would take; they must be all Macleans, for the Mull Macleans never die till they're centurions, and he wouldna take a man that wass over five and seventy. They're yonder, noo, in Loch Scridain, kept like fightin' cocks; he puts them ott on the hill each day for exercise, and if wan o' them takes a cough they dry his clothes and give him something from a bottle.

'Holy smoke!' said Dougie, 'where's the profits comin' from?'

'From the Government' said Para Handy. 'Nothing simpler! He gets five shillings a heid in the week for them, and that's £169 in the year for the whole thirteen--enough to feed a regiment! Wan pensioner maybe wadna pay you, but if you have a herd like my frien' in Mull, there's money in it.'"

So, this was nothing new.

Thailand has always been slow to catch up with western ideas, but when it does it knows how to make a "Thai copy". Oh, by the way, the prices have gone up since 1906.

Edited by Alf Witt

The OP is clearly seeking serious insight into this phenomenon that he has just recently observed. It is explained in no less a tome than Hansard (the official record of parliamentary debates in the U.K.) http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...xt/91202-25.htmhttp://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...xt/91202-25.htm - To make it easy, I have extracted the relevant portion of the debate hereunder. Does the OP imagine that the British Embassy is not in communication with the Thai government on this issue?

The Right Hon. Mr. Desmond Browne (MP for Kilmarnock and Loudoun) is addressing Parliament:

I shall digress for a few minutes to instruct the House that that is not a new idea. As I was preparing for the debate, I was reminded of a Para Handy tale. As some hon. Members may know, the great Para Handy tales were written by Neil Munro at the turn of the century, at just about the same time as pensions were being introduced. They are a wonderful set of short stories about the Vital Spark, the puffer that plied its trade up and down the Clyde crewed by Para Handy the captain, the chief engineer, and Dougie, the boy.

Tale No. 27 is entitled "Pension Farms". It was written in 1906. Let me set the scene for the House:

"The Vital Spark was making for Lochgoilhead, Dougie at the wheel, and the Captain straddled on a waterbreaker, humming Gaelic songs, because he felt magnificent after his weekly shave."

As they were looking over what they call the Glasgow promontory, Macphail was musing that there was a hen farm at the end of the promontory, and he had always wanted a hen farm. Para Handy told Macphail that he did not want one of those; what he wanted was a pension farm. The tale continues:

"'Rearin pensioners?' remarked Macphail, 'ye would lie oot o' your money a lang while rearin pensioners; ye micht as weel start growin' trees.'

'Not at aal, not at aal!' said Para Handy, 'there's quick returns in pensioners if you put your mind to the thing and use a little caation. Up in the Islands, now, the folks iss givin' up their crofts and makin' a kind o' ferm o' their aged relations.

I have a cousin yonder oot in Gigha wi' a stock o' five fine healthy uncles--no' a man o'them under seventy. There's another frien' o' my own in Mull wi' thirteen heid o'chenuine old Macleans. He gaithered them aboot the islands wi' a boat whenever the rumours o' the pensions started. Their frien's had no idea what he wanted wi' them, and were glad to get them off their hands. 'It's chust a notion that I took,' he said, 'for company; they're great amusement on a winter night,' and he got his pick o' the best o' them. It wassna every wan he would take; they must be all Macleans, for the Mull Macleans never die till they're centurions, and he wouldna take a man that wass over five and seventy. They're yonder, noo, in Loch Scridain, kept like fightin' cocks; he puts them ott on the hill each day for exercise, and if wan o' them takes a cough they dry his clothes and give him something from a bottle.

'From the Government' said Para Handy. 'Nothing simpler! He gets five shillings a heid in the week for them, and that's £169 in the year for the whole thirteen--enough to feed a regiment! Wan pensioner maybe wadna pay you, but if you have a herd like my frien' in Mull, there's money in it.'"

Thailand has always been slow to catch up with western ideas, but when it does it knows how to make a "Thai copy". Oh, by the way, the prices have gone up since 1906.

That was so boring, I'm gonna go out and shoot a wrinkled farang Dougie that looks like he's soaking his government for a pension.

Many people here know the concept of Hansard, Master Witt. Disraeli-Gladstone brouhahas in Parliament were way more exciting than this. Sorry.

Most of the older farangs I've seen in KKC are repulsive-looking...pretty obvious what they are there for. Quite an eyesore to everyone.

Why don't you post a pic of your lovely self then, Narcissus? Doubtless you're here modelling for the Chippendales' 2008 calendar or whatever, no? :o

Or Chippendales' furniture more likely?

[That was so boring, I'm gonna go out and shoot a wrinkled farang Dougie that looks like he's soaking his government for a pension.

Many people here know the concept of Hansard, Master Witt. Disraeli-Gladstone brouhahas in Parliament were way more exciting than this. Sorry.

If you don't want to be bored why are you spending so much time surfing TV? (906 posts in 2 months ???)

Hansard is not a concept. Its a publication. Since many persons here are not from the UK I'm sure they value and explanation.

[That was so boring, I'm gonna go out and shoot a wrinkled farang Dougie that looks like he's soaking his government for a pension.

If you don't want to be bored why are you spending so much time surfing TV? (906 posts in 2 months ???)

Hansard is not a concept. Its a publication. Since many persons here are not from the UK I'm sure they value and explanation.

:D:o Yes, I grew up in the colonies, but even we know the concept and purpose of Hansard. The concept of Hansard is the point, as in, what is it?

Yes. I like TV comments and joining in TV tea parties, but I do not waste time checking posters' ratings. That is childish.

Have a good day, Master Witt.

And don't forget to proofread your posts now, young Master Witt.

Edit: Regrets, forgot to highlight your Its typo.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

:D:o Yes, I grew up in the colonies, but even we know the concept and purpose of Hansard. The concept of Hansard is the point, as in, what is it?

Yes. I like TV comments and joining in TV tea parties, but I do not waste time checking posters' ratings. That is childish.

Have a good day, Master Witt.

And don't forget to proofread your posts now, young Master Witt.

Just checked your profile. I guess you really are 99 years old. Good luck to you - and may your dogs stay free of ticks. Oh! Happy Birthday also. I hope we hear from you on TV for a long time to come (no pun intended).

:D I never expected to see Para Handy mentioned on T.V., or discover that my local M.P. was that literate -thanks :o .

I'm sure there must be a better collective noun for Pensioners , though.....

Just checked your profile. I guess you really are 99 years old. Good luck to you - and may your dogs stay free of ticks. Oh! Happy Birthday also. I hope we hear from you on TV for a long time to come (no pun intended).

Why, thank you young man for the kind words and the devoted attention!

canada, australia, NZ and most commonwealth countries with a parliament publish hansard.

and thank you for pointing out ms. goron's somewhat excessive tv habit. it has not gone unnoticed by all. she is a writer indeed.

and thank you for pointing out ms. goron's somewhat excessive tv habit. it has not gone unnoticed by all. she is a writer indeed.

:D Yes, now you all know. I have OTV. Check the stove, do my research, call my sources, check the stove, write the article, wait for editor, read TV, check the stove, post on TV, get confirmation from editor, check the stove, do my.... :D:o

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Why, thank you young man for the kind words and the devoted attention!

Don't pay then any attention Ms. Gorgon, I relish your words of wisdom (creep, creep). Have you too perhaps noticed that all the most succinct posts and pearls of wisdom come from senior citizens?

P.S Hope this is PC, I'd hate to offend.

It has to be said the OP has a point, Pattaya resembles a geriatrics ward. surely a welfare time bomb.

I have no idea how many old foreigners there are in Pattaya, let alone Thailand, but what is true is there are not social services providing a back-up for these guys.

This has already become a problem in retirement communities in Spain, where old people find themselves unable to cope with the challenges of their age and where there is no welfare to provide the support they need.

I guess marrying a younger woman might, if you get it right, provide security in old age, but what a gamble.

Or Chippendales' furniture more likely?

Wrong again. Chip 'n' Dale, the cartoon.

I'm sure there must be a better collective noun for Pensioners , though.....

There is, it's a Counterpain of Pensioners.

Think about it, counter, post office...........

I'll get my coat :o

Well. it made me smile :D ........

My coat is on the next peg to yours.

I've noticed in Khon Kaen anyway that there are a lot more dottery old codgers around than a few years ago.

What's the reason for this?

Are heating bills going up in the Uk or something?

Can they no longer afford their half pint and drams?

Could they all be finding their 'tee ruks' through online agencies?

Are they coming to get their dentures replaced?

Anyone noticed in the other parts of the country?

Yep, the baby boomers are getting older. The generation that discovered rock and roll, the folks that made one of the biggest step changes in western social history, the guys who were the precursor and catalyst to the modern global travel phenomenon. I would be careful if I were you about calling them "dottery old cdgers", many of them may still have a few surprises up their sleeves for the under performing generations that have gone since!

Well said, Chiang Mai. You could also have mentioned the computer the original post was written on. Who invented that? A fine rebuttal of arrogance and intolerance. Doesn't the contributor realise that 'old ginger' is very fashionable these days?

While objecting to generalizations against the aged, individuals of generation B (or somewhere way back then) are now collectively claiming the laurels on behalf of the shining lights their generation (All generations having leaders and followers).

It seems then that within every old fogy staggering down Pattaya Beach Road is a Jack Kerouac, this spark of creativity and adventure placed in his bussom by association of his generation, and likewise denied to younger people by their youth.

Do these old folk take collective responsibility for the ills they have left and are leaving those that follow?

My guess is very few of the oldies staggering around did anything to push any social boundaries and quite a lot of the underperforming of which they accuse those currently blessed with youth.

After all, isn’t it generally accepted that if you remember the 60s, you weren’t there.

I've had a thought about this phenomenon for a while, and it hasn't gone unnoticed in other countries too. Mexico has hordes of ageing US citizens buying houses down there.

It is becoming a bit of a trend and looking at the numbers, it starts to amount to some pretty serious capital flows from the wealthier nations, to the less well off.

All these people are probably getting pensions and state payouts in their home countries, but are spending that money somewhere else.

When you add healthcare into the picture, that is large amounts of revenue that are flowing out of the 'west' and into emerging economies.

If the scale of the migration increases, and I expect it will, then we can look forward to a healthy boost to the Thai economy; Providing, of course, that they don't make it difficult for you to retire to Thailand!

To all young whippersnappers - remember that one day, with good health and good luck, you will be an old fart. Some of you in your 20's and 30's are already old farts!

My life is nearly over,

My pilot light is out,

What used to be my sex appeal,

Is now my water spout!

To all young whippersnappers - remember that one day, with good health and good luck, you will be an old fart. Some of you in your 20's and 30's are already old farts!

My life is nearly over,

My pilot light is out,

What used to be my sex appeal,

Is now my water spout!

Amen to that, Mr. Hippo.

When I was young I thought I'd never grow old and now what I could once do all night now takes me all night to do once. So I never gave a thought for the aged. Now I'm getting there it occurs to me that it's my turn - nobody gives a thought for me and I#m okay with that. It's everyone for himself so I say to all old farts - take your hard earned pensions boys and girls and have a thunderous, unforgettable fling, how you want, where you want. Pay no attention to the bedwettings wimps you've reared. They just want us to die before we spend up so they get to inherit. String it out and live a lot because when we die, the true grit dies with us - plus many years of accumulated wisdom. Sydney Sheldon died yesterday, age 95, he was still writing up to last year. A friend of mine has just published a book too. it's selling well, he's 81. Has any tiger in the beer dens of LOS achieved that? And don't forget the army of grannies who take loving care of the brats while mom and dad are out there playing at being somebody. I could go on but instead - long live Lynard Skynnard and CCR and stuff your moronic techno crap.

When I was 14, my father was so ignorant, I couldn't stand him.

When I got to be 21, I was amazed at how much he'd learned in just seven years. Mark Twain

After all, isn’t it generally accepted that if you remember the 60s, you weren’t there.

It took me a while to get that one! So I guess I qualify.

Signed, former 60's flower child

steveepostman_lsd_blotter.jpg

Love that poster you put on your post, brings me back to S.F. in the 60's with the Greateful Dead playing free in Golden Gate Park, along side Jefferson Airplane and Big Brother & the Holding Co. (Janis Joplin) and alot of other great talent, Love, and good vibes. Then there was no greed, like there is today (at least not with the true beat culture) OHHH Ja! Thoughs were the dayz my friend!

Edited by SamuiJens