Los Becoming Like An Old People's Home

Neeranam

I've noticed in Khon Kaen anyway that there are a lot more dottery old codgers around than a few years ago.

What's the reason for this?

Are heating bills going up in the Uk or something?

Can they no longer afford their half pint and drams?

Could they all be finding their 'tee ruks' through online agencies?

Are they coming to get their dentures replaced?

Anyone noticed in the other parts of the country?

Erm...have you been back to the UK recently??? Maybe you will see why the older generation, and indeed those that can afford to, are getting out, and going either to places that their pensions can afford, or places where they can work..

You must remember that it was the older generation that made Britain great, they lived through and fought in the war, and established a stable economy and a good way of life for us younger ones to be born in to...Now all you see, is mass immigration by people who have no interest in society building, they dont integrate, get given houses and benefits, and play the race card every time they cant get their own way...what a smack in the face for all the retired people living on bad pensions after 45 years of country building.....Let the wrinklies enjoy their new lease of life, they have earned to right to it, and are no trouble to anybody :o

I couldn,t agree more Ollie I,m part time carer for my Father i work 3 x 12 hour nights a week carrying the race card elite members .The rest of the time i,m looking after my Father who has plenty wrong with him ..worked all his life served in armed services same as myself and basically got told here,s some drugs go away and die somewhere quietly ..oh yeah and my sisters getting made redundant from the NHS in April ..I think the Old Guard in Thailand are a inspiration to us all and i,m just jealous i cant be there myself right now.... Have a Drink for me Guys and burn some rubber on those Wheelchairs :D

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe my memory is playing tricks (happens at our age) but I seem to recall the OP floating the idea of an old folks home for farangs in Issan some time ago. Think about it, could be an idea whose time is soon to come. Land and labour prices are favourable, if the helpers could wear suitably short candy stripe uniforms like something out of a 60's British B movie comedy then I'm booking my place.

:o

post-7438-1170702025_thumb.jpg

Maybe my memory is playing tricks (happens at our age) but I seem to recall the OP floating the idea of an old folks home for farangs in Issan some time ago. Think about it, could be an idea whose time is soon to come. Land and labour prices are favourable, if the helpers could wear suitably short candy stripe uniforms like something out of a 60's British B movie comedy then I'm booking my place.

:D

There is already a Home for Wrinklies up and Running in Surin!! It is called Farang Connection :D also a new one soon to be opened in the Ubon area called The Sauer Kraut :o:D Nignoy

I've noticed in Khon Kaen anyway that there are a lot more dottery old codgers around than a few years ago.

Erm...have you been back to the UK recently??? Maybe you will see why the older generation, and indeed those that can afford to, are getting out, and going either to places that their pensions can afford, or places where they can work..

You must remember that it was the older generation that made Britain great, they lived through and fought in the war, and established a stable economy and a good way of life for us younger ones to be born in to...Now all you see, is mass immigration by people who have no interest in society building, they dont integrate, get given houses and benefits, and play the race card every time they cant get their own way...what a smack in the face for all the retired people living on bad pensions after 45 years of country building.....Let the wrinklies enjoy their new lease of life, they have earned to right to it, and are no trouble to anybody :o

Amen to that oliver. BTW you were good in "Gladiator"

• 2 months later...

Now that's a good idea!

Now that's a good idea!

JR Texas: On my last trip to Pattaya-Jomtien I noticed that large numbers of "old expats." The place has clearly become a geriatric retirement haven. Why?

The globalization of the economy has failed. Most the old expats in LOS can't afford to live in their home countries. And many (but not all) are getting a break from immigration (short term break as this can and most likely will change....see below).

The securitization of migration that is taking place in Thailand (and the rest of the world) is making it harder and harder for migrants/expats to remain in Thailand long term. You can trace this back to 9/11 and the Bad Bush and Thaksin the Magnificent.

The visa rules and regulations are simultaneously giving the old expats a "grandfathered in" break while forcing the young out of the country, to other seemingly more visa friendly places like Cambodia, Philippines, Vietnam, etc.

Demographically the visa changes are leading to the formation of an "Old Expats Home" in LOS. Those with pensions or income above the national average are getting a visa break. Most young people can no longer reach the visa income bar. Even many young people with families are being pushed out by the new racism of security migration. This is a huge mistake as the old expats will eventually croak.

Most of the young "would be" expats will never see a dime in pension money because of the failure of the globalization of the economy (in large part linked to population growth worldwide). They will seek other places to find security in an increasingly insecure world. If Thailand does not offer them a place to retire and spend their money, they will go elsewhere.

We are already seeing significant change to both migration flows and money flows.........we actually might see Vietnam and Cambodia turn into very desirable alternatives to Thailand within the next five to ten years. I did not include the Philippines here because of population growth (related to Catholicism). But the visa rules there are certainly far better than in Thailand.

Other places are wanting expats, young and old: Honduras, Panama, Ecuador, to name a few. The have not yet turned the screws on the securitization of migration.

One final point: The securitization of migration normally has the opposite effect that the government wants. In Thailand's case, linking migration to international terrorism/crime and attacking the young and those that are not rich is causing major problems for the country: xenophobia is rising, spending is down, families are being torn apart, investment is down (both small and large scale), tourism is way down (in spite of what government figures would like you to believe), the real estate market is in the first phase of a major crash, and the expat community is becoming very old.

Thailand is a developing country that has its head in the dirt. The choices that are being made are wrong on almost every front. The visa rules and regulations flowing from the securitization of migration are discriminatory, racists, short-sighted, destructive to the economy, and will do almost nothing to improve security as they stimulate clandestine migration.

Bottom line: Yes, the expat community is looking more and more like an Old Folks Home. If the current policies remain in place, it will simply become worse. In the future, the government will no doubt finally start to see this as a problem as the old expats become more of a liability than asset. At that point the "grandfathered laws" will be abrocated and the grandfathered in expats that currently do not see any problem with the visa rules and regulations (and think they are a good thing) will start complaining big time. But by that time it will be too late for them.

Beware of the securitization of migration!

What the Baby Boomers gave to the world were some great song lyrics.

John Kay of Steppenwolf: "You're never too old to start all over again."

"We were so much older then, when we were young."

Neil Diamond listed many famous people, beginning with Jesus, and concluded:

E. A. Poe, Henri Rousseau,

Sholom Aleichem and Caryl Chessman,

Alan Freed and

Buster Keaton too

And each one there

Has one thing shared:

They have sweated beneath the same sun,

Looked up in wonder at the same moon,

And wept when it was all done

For bein’ done too soon,

For bein’ done too soon.

For bein’ done.

Keep on rocking, keep on riding. Put an MP3 player on your wheelchair so you can listen to those golden oldies. Sweet child of mine, where do we go from here?

In Thailand's case, linking migration to international terrorism/crime and attacking the young and those that are not rich is causing major problems for the country: xenophobia is rising, spending is down, families are being torn apart, investment is down (both small and large scale), tourism is way down (in spite of what government figures would like you to believe), the real estate market is in the first phase of a major crash, and the expat community is becoming very old.

you forgot to mention that the sky is falling, beer prices went up and that the replacement of sick family buffaloes has become quite expensive :o

It has to be said the OP has a point, Pattaya resembles a geriatrics ward. surely a welfare time bomb.

I have no idea how many old foreigners there are in Pattaya, let alone Thailand, but what is true is there are not social services providing a back-up for these guys.

This has already become a problem in retirement communities in Spain, where old people find themselves unable to cope with the challenges of their age and where there is no welfare to provide the support they need.

I guess marrying a younger woman might, if you get it right, provide security in old age, but what a gamble.

Not all retirees are on the bones of their collective asses. Many retired

with substantial nest eggs ... They retired because they could afford to !

And what hope is there in the future for those poorly paid, twenty or thirty something

farangs working in dead end jobs here, with no security, no super, no pension and no gratuity ?

They are not going to be able to save a brass razoo for their retirement.

They will be the ones who end up without a pot to p!ss in. :o

Naka.

why "end up"? from their whining and envious ranting one can derive that presently they don't own a pot to p*ss in!

:D

Hi.

Simple question from a simple person, at what age is one considered old? Is age based on physical or chronological factors?

I'm curious because I'm in the vanguard of the "Boomers" (1945), and want to be clear on which side of this discussion I should be cheering for!

Hi.

Simple question from a simple person, at what age is one considered old? Is age based on physical or chronological factors?

I'm curious because I'm in the vanguard of the "Boomers" (1945), and want to be clear on which side of this discussion I should be cheering for!

Young man, the definition of old is: when you have acquired the necessary wisdom to handle any situation but you are no longer physically able to do anything about it. Anyway, who resurrected this loony thread?

Hi.

Young man, the definition of old is: when you have acquired the necessary wisdom to handle any situation but you are no longer physically able to do anything about it. Anyway, who resurrected this loony thread?

The real Definition of getting old is, when you wake up in the morning next to your lady and the wrong part is STIFF :D:o Nignoy

Now that's a good idea!

JR Texas: On my last trip to Pattaya-Jomtien I noticed that large numbers of "old expats." The place has clearly become a geriatric retirement haven. Why?

The globalization of the economy has failed. Most the old expats in LOS can't afford to live in their home countries. And many (but not all) are getting a break from immigration (short term break as this can and most likely will change....see below).

The securitization of migration that is taking place in Thailand (and the rest of the world) is making it harder and harder for migrants/expats to remain in Thailand long term. You can trace this back to 9/11 and the Bad Bush and Thaksin the Magnificent.

The visa rules and regulations are simultaneously giving the old expats a "grandfathered in" break while forcing the young out of the country, to other seemingly more visa friendly places like Cambodia, Philippines, Vietnam, etc.

Demographically the visa changes are leading to the formation of an "Old Expats Home" in LOS. Those with pensions or income above the national average are getting a visa break. Most young people can no longer reach the visa income bar. Even many young people with families are being pushed out by the new racism of security migration. This is a huge mistake as the old expats will eventually croak.

Most of the young "would be" expats will never see a dime in pension money because of the failure of the globalization of the economy (in large part linked to population growth worldwide). They will seek other places to find security in an increasingly insecure world. If Thailand does not offer them a place to retire and spend their money, they will go elsewhere.

We are already seeing significant change to both migration flows and money flows.........we actually might see Vietnam and Cambodia turn into very desirable alternatives to Thailand within the next five to ten years. I did not include the Philippines here because of population growth (related to Catholicism). But the visa rules there are certainly far better than in Thailand.

Other places are wanting expats, young and old: Honduras, Panama, Ecuador, to name a few. The have not yet turned the screws on the securitization of migration.

One final point: The securitization of migration normally has the opposite effect that the government wants. In Thailand's case, linking migration to international terrorism/crime and attacking the young and those that are not rich is causing major problems for the country: xenophobia is rising, spending is down, families are being torn apart, investment is down (both small and large scale), tourism is way down (in spite of what government figures would like you to believe), the real estate market is in the first phase of a major crash, and the expat community is becoming very old.

Thailand is a developing country that has its head in the dirt. The choices that are being made are wrong on almost every front. The visa rules and regulations flowing from the securitization of migration are discriminatory, racists, short-sighted, destructive to the economy, and will do almost nothing to improve security as they stimulate clandestine migration.

Bottom line: Yes, the expat community is looking more and more like an Old Folks Home. If the current policies remain in place, it will simply become worse. In the future, the government will no doubt finally start to see this as a problem as the old expats become more of a liability than asset. At that point the "grandfathered laws" will be abrocated and the grandfathered in expats that currently do not see any problem with the visa rules and regulations (and think they are a good thing) will start complaining big time. But by that time it will be too late for them.

Beware of the securitization of migration!

Hi JR,

Do you live in Thailand? I can't help but think you don't, as I find it hard to agree with almost everything you've written. Sure there are more old expats, but that's because there's just lots more expats of every age here now. I understand why the old ones are here, it's all the young ones I'm seeing now, who seem to be on perpetual vacation that has me puzzled. More power to them if they can meet the visa regs, which are among the least onerous of anyplace I've ever travelled.

Hi.

The real Definition of getting old is, when you wake up in the morning next to your lady and the wrong part is STIFF :D:D Nignoy

There was a time, Mr. N. when I had four supple members and one stiff. The situation is now sadly reversed. :o

isnt it against the rules to discuss moderator issues? :o

maybe this would be more biting in the pattaya section. :D

Hi.

The art of living said somebody (who?....forgot it!); is to "die young as later as possible"....to die one day been very old but still looking good (betya qwertz is thinking....this is me!)

'Nibor1945' Definitive you should be for the old fart side....(as myself), becuase unfortunatelly it is not about how old you feel or about how many years you have, but about how others see us....

Hi.

Peaple are now living longer. I've read the 50-yr-old has become the new 30, 60 has become the new 40. You're still a young man Mr.'45.

I think all us young guns :o:D wont be posting stuff like this when were old and grey :D:D:D .

Lets face it !!most of us old codgers have earned the right to grow old disgracefully where ever we want too!! so some of us like the idea of spending the twilight hours of our lives being pampered by a beautiful young wife, as an old fart who has watched with joy as wrinklies the world over, turn into nomads and welt bummlers( globetrotters for our Colonial Readers), who dont want to be shepherded off to the nearest retirement village, some of us who have had the same britbike for 40 years, no Patong Posers( harleys) or japcrap for us, so we choose to settle in Ubon or Surin its our choice , we dont have to be loudmouthed drunken barjockeys chasing Galees in Pattaya or Patong, we have just earned the right to RETIRE :o

PS this the wifes bike , she is a 5 foot 62year old grandmother from guildford, 2 years ago she rode from singapore to Hanoi and back to Ubon

post-11182-1177797834_thumb.jpg

Good on yer, nignoy, these callow youngsters are just envious of our years of accumulated wisdom and charm. From another old fart and Weltenbummler.

P.S. Love the bike.

P.P.S. Torito, Brad Pitt I am not and never was but under this rusting coachwork throbs a well tuned CV8.

Edited by qwertz

Yes, they come here with their bulging trousers and Zimmer Frames, high on Viagra. Over sexed and over here! My G/F left me before for an octogenarian and now she’s marrying a new one. They're stupid, inflationary and shouldn't be allowed. This time she gets his house in the UK when he croaks and he can't even get it up! What kind of a precedent is that? ######.... What about me? Now I can't laugh at the young fellas anymore because there's a line of geriatrics laughing at me...

Yes, they come here with their bulging trousers and Zimmer Frames, high on Viagra. Over sexed and over here! My G/F left me before for an octogenarian and now she's marrying a new one. They're stupid, inflationary and shouldn't be allowed. This time she gets his house in the UK when he croaks and he can't even get it up! What kind of a precedent is that? ######.... What about me? Now I can't laugh at the young fellas anymore because there's a line of geriatrics laughing at me...

The house or Percy? :o

Edited by qwertz

Ok you whippersnappers watch the old foggies carefully there are lessons that if your lucky that need to be learned

Well I enjoy watching the young guys make the same mistakes I did, so I certainly hope they stay welcome here.

I would point out one aspect that I think is being over looked, when I was fifty I was ready financially to retire, you couldn't get an annual visa until age 55, then. Now it's 50.

Younger people today may have really difficult time achieving what we did with these early retirements, thats sad.

Looks like things fell good for our generation our parents couldn't do what we are doing now and really doesn't look like our children will be able to so.

Gentle hint to the young guys tha want what we have, it took a long time of self sacrifice to get here. We as a general rule stayed in our home countries and built the retirements that we enjoy today. We didn't get to go to far away places and live an adventure to ge this financial security.

So there are dues to be paid, pay them when your young or pay them when you are old, they will be paid.

Yes, they come here with their bulging trousers and Zimmer Frames, high on Viagra. Over sexed and over here! My G/F left me before for an octogenarian and now she’s marrying a new one. They're stupid, inflationary and shouldn't be allowed. This time she gets his house in the UK when he croaks and he can't even get it up! What kind of a precedent is that? ######.... What about me? Now I can't laugh at the young fellas anymore because there's a line of geriatrics laughing at me...

an octogenarian becomes impotent when suffering of tongue paralysis!

Definitive you should be for the old fart side....(as myself), becuase unfortunatelly it is not about how old you feel or about how many years you have, but about how others see us....

i humbly beg to differ Torito. most of us old farts are aware what we have achieved and don't care how others see us.

my favourite quote: i prefer being old, rich and healthy to be being young, poor and sick.