Los Becoming Like An Old People's Home

Neeranam

To summarize: I think the OP's post is a cry for help, Let us all hope that he gets some. He looks at the old folks and wonders about his own future. I don't worry about Rambo, he's a good dude having a good time and no doubt making a great living in the good Old USA
What on earth are you on about Butthead? I have absolutely no worries about my future.
The young guy is skating on thin ice and will crash through at some point. What then? His wife and family go back to her village while the guy goes? well, who knows where. He is destitute. Hopefully he hasnt burnt bridges back home and he can go there and work in a fast food dump

Are you talking about me? I aint so young - 40. My wife doesn't come from a village. I have a very secure job. Why would I work in a fast food restaurant? Why would anyone leave Thailand to do that? What makes you think that I am destitute or couldn't get a decent job. Probably a lot better qualified than you.

My situation - I left a highly paid job as a petroleum engineer in the UK, which I hated, to live in a country I love. Money is not the most important thing in my life.

To summarize - don't be a <deleted> butthead

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how much money foreigners bring to Thailand, It would be wrong to label us in a bad way.

That's the crux of the matter, J. Having the money to throw about doesn't buy you respect or regard. It can however foster envy and contempt among those who don't have it so if you're old and unattactive many of those people will say you're buying affection whether it's true or not.

My situation - I left a highly paid job as a petroleum engineer in the UK, which I hated, to live in a country I love. Money is not the most important thing in my life.

Thank you for the info on your situation, your original post was however a tiny bit provoking and that tends to get similar responses.

There is however a point to be made, a lot of the younger guys i see here tend to scrape trough in low paid jobs or owning bars and small buissnes on the brink of forclosure, scheeming and scamming to get by, and astonishing many I have had the plesure of talking to also seemed to have burnt all brigdes, they loose the opportunity to build up a healty pensionfond back home.

It looks a bit like they have forgotten, that here in Thailand there is no backup once you get old.

There is an overrepresentation of older expats, but they are the ones that mostly can afford to really live here without making an nusiance of them selves.

I have spend many hours watching and enjoing the vibrant life on the streets of Pattaya, and allthough I cringe when I see a 70 year old man proudly parading his latest newborn, I have cringed a lot more often, seeing the behavior of the young louts living here as expats, and hearing their comments and experincing their ignorance about their host country and its people.

Kind regards :o

Edited by larvidchr

Considering how much money foreigners bring to Thailand, It would be wrong to label us in a bad way.

That's the crux of the matter, J. Having the money to throw about doesn't buy you respect or regard. It can however foster envy and contempt among those who don't have it so if you're old and unattactive many of those people will say you're buying affection whether it's true or not.

Sorry I have to jump behing your tail again 'qwertz', but as you may suspect things like this gets my hot blood...

'juanali' comment sounds so arrogant, patronizingly ignorant and materialistic, that I can only think that he did not intend to write what he did...

Farangs can bring money, but this does not entitled them to feel that they have to be labeled in a good way, juts because of that....you must be kidding 'juanali'.

I have spend many hours watching and enjoing the vibrant life on the streets of Pattaya, and allthough I cringe when I see a 70 year old man proudly parading his latest newborn, I have cringed a lot more often, seeing the behavior of the young louts living here as expats, and hearing their comments and experincing their ignorance about their host country and its people.

:o

Fair comments from both. Respect has to be earned and it begins with your own conduct. Torito, I think you're an immigrant and an expat so we have that in common. You must never forget that you're on their turf and lots of people will look for reasons to disrespect you, given any chance. You have an accent, you're old, you don't subscribe to their religion, you wife is much younger etc. - discrimination is alive and well and you can't buy a spray to dispel it so after you've chosen your host land, you've got to live with the disadvantages, of which there will be many.

Fair comments from both. Respect has to be earned and it begins with your own conduct. Torito, I think you're an immigrant and an expat so we have that in common. You must never forget that you're on their turf and lots of people will look for reasons to disrespect you, given any chance. You have an accent, you're old, you don't subscribe to their religion, you wife is much younger etc. - discrimination is alive and well and you can't buy a spray to dispel it so after you've chosen your host land, you've got to live with the disadvantages, of which there will be many.

My dear 'qwertz', I migrated many years ago to Australia, and in there I learn the real meaning of discrimination, contempt and scorn against those who are not equals (but believe that deserve to be). And I learnt the bitter lessons that people of the third world have to put up with, just because we are by default, considered inferior.

Well, I must admit that some of use may look like half cooked neathertal, but the fact is that we have the same number of neurons that those whose genetic has gifter with yellow air, blue eyes and can speack with no accent. It is also a fact that our neurones are alwasy fully charged as we strugle much more for surviving.

I agree with you. A farang has to put up with many inconvenients, but I think that there is no place in the world in where there is not, when you are stranger. And there is no a place in the world in where old people can hide their decadent flesh.

Edited by torito

There'll always be contempt for people who are less fortunate or just different, especially when they're immigrants. When I was a kid in Manchester it was contempt for the Irish, Italians and Greeks. Young people in most countries have no respect for older people; they find them sad, or even worse, funny. One of the most important lessons in my life was when I was schoolboy and we had to spend a day helping in an old folks' home. We were told the histories of some of the people there - a classical musician, a physicist, a headmistress and a ballet dancer. All senile, couldn't even feed or dress themselves properly but the point was made - all of them had made a contribution before age caught up with them. I was about 14 and since then I've always looked at old people through different eyes. Rambo and his counterparts might see things differently too when age overtakes them.

In LOS you suffer most contempt from other farangs. There are the superior ones (without cause), the studs with immense egos and the young ones who equate the number of quickies they've scored with esteem. And they'll disrespect you just because they have too much time on their hands, unlike the productive farangs who work or run a business there. BTW, I don't find this disrespect with most Thais outside of the tourist spots.

Edited by qwertz

The world has changed, our parents in UK after 50 years in a factory or mill, if they were lucky and still alive they were allowed to retire, worn out, sick , ready for the knackers yard only exotic holidays, were 2 weeks a year in Blackpool or morecambe,we wrinklies of today have changed that, we have gained a bit of knowledge and travel experience, and now we travel to visit the exotic countries as kids we could only dream about, or we had only seen over the barrel of a gun. If there is a bonus of a sloe eyed beauty or 2 too help us into the twilight of our lives, thats okay too,if we want to escape the cultural centres of Liverpool, Wigan or Berlin, for the wilds of Khemmerat or Ban Ram jam butty then so be it!!some of us survive and revel in thevillage life, many fail and miss their creature comforts, we have earned the right to make our own mistakes,I dont kid myself about thailand being perfect, I get perfection 6 months of the year in Queensland :D Its just great to be able on a whim pack a bag and and hop on a plane to To our Isaan home, no ones permission needed give the housesitter a ring and off we go, get a quick 3 month blast of Isaan,once in a while like this autumn for example go really nuts and tour europe by road for 8 months, never mind you young UNS now its our turn to be a PAIN IN THE ARSE :o:D Nignoy

PS Only fault we find with Isaan No Mudcrabs :D

CATO, AGE 84 - You may be sure, my dear Scipio and Lælius, that the arms best adapted to old age are culture and the active exercise of the virtues. For if they have been maintained at every period - if one has lived much as well as long - the harvest they produce is wonderful, not only because they never fail us even in our last days (though that in itself is supremely important), but also because the consciousness of a well-spent life and the recollection of many virtuous actions are exceedingly delightful. . .

It is after all true that everybody cannot be a Scipio or a Maximus, with stormings of cities, with battles by land and sea, with wars in which they themselves commanded, and with triumphs to recall. Besides this there is a quiet, pure, and cultivated life which produces a calm and gentle old age, such as we have been told Plato's was, who died at his writing-desk in his eighty-first year; or like that of Isocrates, who says that he wrote the book called The Panegyric in his ninety-fourth year, and who lived for five years afterwards; while his master Gorgias of Leontini completed a hundred and seven years without ever relaxing his diligence or giving up work. When some one asked him why he consented to remain so long alive - "I have no fault," said he, "to find with old age." That was a noble answer, and worthy of a scholar. For fools impute their own frailties and guilt to old age. . .

[it is said that] old age withdraws us from active employments. From which of them? Do you mean from those carried on by youth and bodily strength? Are there then no old men's employments to be after all conducted by the intellect, even when bodies are weak?. . .

There is ~ nothing in the arguments of those who say that old age takes no part in public business. They are like men who would say that a steersman does nothing in sailing a ship, because, while some of the crew are climbing the masts, others hurrying up and down the gangways, others pumping out the bilge water, he sits quietly in the stern holding the tiller. He does not do what young men do; nevertheless he does what is much more important and better. The great affairs of life are not performed by physical strength, or activity, or nimbleness of body, but by deliberation, character, expression of opinion. Of these old age is not only not deprived, but, as a rule, has them in a greater degree. . .

Old men retain their intellects well enough, if only they keep their minds active and fully employed. Nor is that the case only with men of high position and great office: it applies equally to private life and peaceful pursuits. Sophocles composed tragedies to extreme old age; and being believed to neglect the care of his property owing to his devotion to his art, his sons brought him into court to get a judicial decision depriving him of the management of his property on the ground of weak intellect - just as in our law it is customary to deprive a paterfamilias of the management of his property if he is squandering it. Thereupon the old poet is said to have read to the judges the play he had on hand and had just composed - the Oedipus Coloneus - and to have asked them whether they thought that the work of a man of weak intellect. After the reading he was acquitted by the jury. . .

Nor ~ do I now miss the bodily strength of a young man ~ any more than as a young man I missed the strength of a bull or an elephant. You should use what you have, and whatever you may chance to be doing, do it with all your might. . .

At Olympia, Milo is said to have stepped into the course carrying a live ox on his shoulders. Which then ~ would you prefer to have given to you - bodily strength like that, or intellectual strength like that of Pythagoras? In fine, enjoy that blessing when you have it; when it is gone, don't wish it back - unless we are to think that young men should wish their childhood back, and those somewhat older their youth!

The course of life is fixed, and nature admits of its being run but in one way, and only once; and to each part of our life there is something specially seasonable; so that the feebleness of children, as well as the high spirit of youth, the soberness of maturer years, and the ripe wisdom of old age - all have a certain natural advantage which should be secured in its proper season. . .

We must stand up against old age and make up for its drawbacks by taking pains. We must fight it as we should an illness. We must look after our health, use moderate exercise, take just enough food and drink to recruit, but not to overload, our strength. Nor is it the body alone that must be supported, but the intellect and soul much more. For they are like lamps: unless you feed them with oil, they too go out from old age. Again, the body is apt to get gross from exercise; but the intellect becomes nimbler by exercising itself. . .

Far from being a charge against old age, that it does not much feel the want of any pleasures, it is its highest praise. But, you will say, it is deprived of the pleasures of the table, the heaped-up board, the rapid passing of the wine-cup. Well, then, it is also free from headache, disordered digestion, broken sleep. . .

The fact is that old age is respectable just as long as it asserts itself, maintains its proper rights, and is not enslaved to any one. For as I admire a young man who has something of the old man in him, so do I an old one who has something of a young man. The man who aims at this may possibly become old in body - in mind he never will. I am now engaged in composing the seventh book of my Origins. I collect all the records of antiquity. The speeches delivered in all the celebrated cases which I have defended I am at this particular time getting into shape for publication. I am writing treatises on augural, pontifical, and civil law. I am, besides, studying hard at Greek, and after the manner of the Pythagoreans-to keep my memory in working order-I repeat in the evening whatever I have said, heard, or done in the course of each day. These are the exercises of the intellect, these the training-grounds of the mind: while I sweat and labour on these I don't much feel the loss of bodily strength.

I appear in court for my friends; I frequently attend the Senate and bring motions before it on my own responsibility, prepared after deep and long reflection. And these I support by my intellectual, not my bodily forces. And if I were not strong enough to do these things, yet I should enjoy my sofa - imagining the very operations which I was now unable to perform. But what makes me capable of doing this is my past life. For a man who is always living in the midst of these studies and labors does not perceive when old age creeps upon him. Thus, by slow and imperceptible degrees life draws to its end. There is no sudden breakage; it just slowly goes out. . .

It's just for laughs, N. Even Rambo, the most active geriatric hater, has given up on us and gone back to his troilism, not that I blame him, these silly old buggers can't be serious for more than 3 posts.

BTW, I'd have to give up a lot to gain a little if I were to be young again.

We may all end up in an old peoples home, i dont want to be one of the saying, wish i had done this,wish i had done that, i want to be the one that has them in stitches saying i have done this and done that !

None of the older guys I know with young ladies met them in the disco

Young boy we don't need to meeet young ladies in the disco...this is artificial and premeditated!!!!!.

We find them on our natural environment...hospitals, farmacies, drug stores, orthopedic clinics,...

However I bet they'd rather swap ages with the younger ones. No ones likes being old, do they? I certainly wish I could knock a few years off.

I would love to be youngest if I could take with me what I know and understand now.....but if I am going to go back knowing and understanding the same that I used to know and understand...better I stay

And while I stay, I ensure that my kids know much more than I knew when I was their age....and this is a great way to keep young..

and now you are going to excuse me that I have to go.....I need to brush my teeth.... but I forgot where I left them

George has borrowed them, he says he will give them back tomorrow !.. An old quote, but why is youth wasted on the young ?

Does it matter if both are happy ? comments like yours do seem to come across as jealousy or a lack of knowing the thai way at least ,..

Well, here in my part of the world it's 2:00 p.m. already so am off in a while for a Friday p.m. cocktail.

Always enjoy the older gents' stories, particularly getting there early for the first telling of the day. Seems like sometimes they lose the trail on the third or fourth time through... Same in my favorite expat bars in LOS.

I have rad very interesting comments and sugestions on this topic.First of all everybody is free what to do or think,I think the older generation does it good to live over here instead of 'staying home',why not?

If it makes your life happier,go for it!I do not think there is so much difference while being a younger or an older expat,ofcourse the older ones who went here while having a pension have it a lot easier.but I am a young expat,i am almost 31 years old,and manage without work by the way,to stay here 8 years allready.One comment I do realise is that I will have no to very little pension when I am old,it is an obstacle in the future,i also do not know what to do.maybe there will be a few obtions while having money in the future ,at one point to invest like property and giving those places for rent,so I and my wife will have an income with that,or bonds wich i still have to deepen myself how to play that game.On the other hand who says i will ever be as old as some guys are now,at the time I am an older expat i will stay for 30-40 years in thailand allready,and I can tell you that my life is allready living like a pensioner,so who is more smart?but I do realisei did left a oppertunity to make a reasonable income back home while I am older,but there are other ways also....not easy though cause have a family life and the extras needed are not easy to keep,we will see.there are 2 sides on every story,and while being in thailand is always a win win anyway,life is great and will enjoy it so long it takes.

An old quote, but why is youth wasted on the young ?

:D

there are 2 sides on every story,and while being in thailand is always a win win anyway,life is great and will enjoy it so long it takes.

i'd just like to say if any of you olduns have been in thailand too long & decide to get your hair dyed,please get it done proffesionally as ive seen some disasters.i saw a guy with an attractive shade of almost purple the other day. :o
I had orange ! do you have a problem with that ?

mine is nearly white. but unlike some bald young bucks i haven't lost any hair (yet). :D

You must be joking,. married to a female hitler with no sex life for 35 years then coming to thailand, ive died early and gone to heaven already, !
:D

My 2nd wife was across between Peggy Mount and a gestapo thug, but Bless her she is no longer with us :o and her ashes are in an eggtimer on the desk in my study :D had to have her cremated because that was the only way to keep her GOB SHUT :D:D Nignoy

i'd just like to say if any of you olduns have been in thailand too long & decide to get your hair dyed,please get it done proffesionally as ive seen some disasters.i saw a guy with an attractive shade of almost purple the other day. :o

mine is nearly white. but unlike some bald young bucks i haven't lost any hair (yet). :D

'Dr. Naam' hairpieces normally do not lose hair as they are firmly glued together...

'Dr. Naam' hairpieces normally do not lose hair as they are firmly glued together...

:D :D :D

Does it matter if both are happy ? comments like yours do seem to come across as jealousy or a lack of knowing the thai way at least ,..

If you're referring to my post, WYDA, I wasn't just meaning LOS. The attitude is the same wherever you go but I've seen it most from other farangs. You're quite right of course, what does it matter if 2 people are happy together? But some people want to be respected and in that event, money won't do the trick.

I've noticed in Khon Kaen anyway that there are a lot more dottery old codgers around than a few years ago.

What's the reason for this?

Are heating bills going up in the Uk or something?

Can they no longer afford their half pint and drams?

Could they all be finding their 'tee ruks' through online agencies?

Are they coming to get their dentures replaced?

Anyone noticed in the other parts of the country?

Yeah, I have. I'm only 64 and I do hate it when all these wrinklies go limping by thinking they've still got what it takes. I'm with you all the way man, ship 'em all off home to care homes, there'll be more fun for us. And I won't have to stand in line any more at the pharmacy or help 'em across the road.

Only the young die good

where else in the world can you wear shorts 365 days a year get a girl rod stewart or mick jagger would fancy and live on a small pension easily :o

I've noticed in Khon Kaen anyway that there are a lot more dottery old codgers around than a few years ago.

What's the reason for this?

Are heating bills going up in the Uk or something?

Can they no longer afford their half pint and drams?

Could they all be finding their 'tee ruks' through online agencies?

Are they coming to get their dentures replaced?

Anyone noticed in the other parts of the country?

Yeah, I have. I'm only 64 and I do hate it when all these wrinklies go limping by thinking they've still got what it takes. I'm with you all the way man, ship 'em all off home to care homes, there'll be more fun for us. And I won't have to stand in line any more at the pharmacy or help 'em across the road.

Only the young die good

where else in the world can you wear shorts 365 days a year get a girl rod stewart or mick jagger would fancy and live on a small pension easily :o

Outer Mongolia if you can stand the cold. :D

Edited by qwertz

OK. A simple question JR - In your own words, you find the concept of older men with younger women "not a nice thought".

So what is it that is compelling you to spend your time debating the subject? Especially since you have got so much going for you to occupy your time?

No answer, "Rambo"?

OK. A simple question JR - In your own words, you find the concept of older men with younger women "not a nice thought".

So what is it that is compelling you to spend your time debating the subject? Especially since you have got so much going for you to occupy your time?

No answer, "Rambo"?

Rambo is on a one-man Special Forces mission to track down Osama bin Laden. :o

No answer, "Rambo"?

Rambo is on a one-man Special Forces mission to track down Osama bin Laden. :o

I didn't know that Osama had a young Thai girlfriend !

Rambo has taken umbrage and withdrawn his pithy input. I tried to warn you all several posts ago, well now he's hurt and has sent us to Coventry. I think we older persons are a little too coarse for the more sensitive souls on the board. Please try to set a good example for the youngsters.

BTW, Alf, I'm saving a wee dram for ye, comin' over in September when ma tractor's tuned.