European tourist caught Legionnaires' Disease in Chiang Mai hotel

rooster59

European tourist caught Legionnaires' Disease in Chiang Mai hotel

Chiang Mai_High-angle photos of Chiang Mai from Doi Suthep is a city surrounded by trees.jpg

A public health official in Chiang Mai has admitted that a European tourist went down with Legionnaires' Disease after staying in Chiang Mai.

He said that foreigners tend not to have resistance to the legionella bacteria that causes the condition. 

But he added that Thais thankfully have a natural resistance to the bacteria. 

Dr Sumeth Onwandee, head of the Urban Institute for Disease Prevention in the northern Thai capital, said that the hotel's hot water systems including a reservoir for hot water, taps and shower heads were checked.

The hotel was not named.

The bacteria propagates in temperatures of 32 to 35 degrees.

Infected persons can develop a kind of pneumonia. There are thought to be about 8,000 to 18,000 cases in the US each year.

The disease was first identified after the 1976 American Legion convention in a hotel in Philadelphia.

Many legionnaires and other people died prompting one of the biggest disease investigations in US history. 

There is no vaccine for the disease and prevention depends on good maintenance of water systems. 

Dr Sumeth said that most Thais are immune though foreigners are more susceptible. 

Sanook did not report on the condition of the tourist who contracted the disease.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-23
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

How Thai is that! Don't name the hotel so even more unsuspecting tourists fall sick.

It was probably one of this filthy illegal hotels that are the cancer of this nation right now...

9 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

How Thai is that! Don't name the hotel so even more unsuspecting tourists fall sick.

Perhaps looking to see if it were owned by a farang....bored.gif.e432418c5f0407eba89bb851556c79e3.gif

BUT, I do wonder why there is not more of this infection stuff here...

For sure I get Verrucas on my feet from Hotels, 4 now...Thankfully they don't seem to kill...

Can i ask what the symptoms are , and if you can catch this’ disease by  only staying  a few days in a hotel with this problem ? How’about  when  you rent a condo ? Should you automatically get someone in to check the aircon system out ? 

"He said that foreigners tend not to have resistance to the legionella bacteria that causes the condition. 
  But he added that Thais thankfully have a natural resistance to the bacteria."
I reckon management of hotel never thought perhaps customers might be from another country? Ah, magic word "thought"
Hmm French foreign legionaires perhaps? Beau Geste? The Lost Patrol?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Emster23 said:
"He said that foreigners tend not to have resistance to the legionella bacteria that causes the condition. 
  But he added that Thais thankfully have a natural resistance to the bacteria."
I reckon management of hotel never thought perhaps customers might be from another country? Ah, magic word "thought"
Hmm French foreign legionaires perhaps? Beau Geste? The Lost Patrol?

The American Legion of veterans (true).

Tho' Chiang Mai in March could be compared to Fort Zinderneuf,one supposes.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, geisha said:

Can i ask what the symptoms are , and if you can catch this’ disease by  only staying  a few days in a hotel with this problem ? How’about  when  you rent a condo ? Should you automatically get someone in to check the aircon system out ? 

This link gives a fair description. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/legionnaires-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20351747

More likely you may get Pharyngitis from dirty aircons. A couple of years ago I stayed in 3 hotels in Manila for my company and I caught this in each place.  Mother of all sore throats cured by a course of Penicillin.  Each hotel room had an all in one aircon mounted in the wall. One had a clean air filter but the evaporator fins were totally clogged with wet fluff, the other had no filter and the evap fins were black from the pollution.  Keep the aircon cleaned and you shouldn't have a problem.  No idea whether it works but I also spray a Dettol mix in the evaps. 

Edited by Dellboy218
  • Like 1

Another half story,with the important things left out,

name of the victim,nationality,age,name of the hotel

where he contracted the disease,and if he's dead or alive,

maybe the former,and why its been hushed up.

regards Worgeordie

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Rifampicin is the antibiotic of choice in treating Legionnaire's disease. However, whether the doctor prescribes it depends on their diagnostic skills.

The antibiotic needs to be one of the synthetic variety, penicillin has no effect

3 minutes ago, moe666 said:

The antibiotic needs to be one of the synthetic variety, penicillin has no effect

What are you trying to say? Rifampicin is not a synthetic. Equally, it is not penicillin.

2 hours ago, verticalift said:

As a Canadian Expat, I was unfortunately on the receiving end of Legionaires Disease in late 2007. I was lucky. The disease is basically an upper respiratory infection caused by bacteria in water vapor. It is spread mostly by those old window type air conditioners that have not been kept clean. Bacteria and mold will grow in the drip tray and on the vents / screens. When the air-con is turned on, the room is filled with bacteria and mold spores. 

The bacteria will also grow around faucets and shower heads that have not been used in a while. Basically, any place where water droplets are allowed the stagnate. Many hotels in tropical countries are faced with this problem, especially when rooms sit vacant for days or weeks on end. Staff and owners of these smaller hotels and guest houses have no idea about what it is, or how it is spread.

Though I contracted Legonaires Disease at a hotel in Eket Nigeria while flying Helicopters for Bristow, I have since been very aware and causious at home in Phuket where I have lived for the past 20+ years. There is no immunity to the disease. Anybody can get it, if subjected to it. Keep your air-cons clean guys. Strip them down every 6 months and thoroughly clean them using a bleach type spray. Also, keep the faucets and shower heads clean, using bleach spray ie Clorox or Detol.

Trust me when I say, you do not want to get this. The mortality rate is around 40%.

I think hydrogen peroxide is also working well probably safer for the users than bleach IMHO

3 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I think hydrogen peroxide is also working well probably safer for the users than bleach IMHO

Hydrogen peroxide is too unstable to be effective. The key to controlling Legionella is regular maintenance of cooling towers to remove biomass harboring the bacteria, and a free available chlorine content of 0.5 - 1 mg/L.