Gen Prayut confirms Thailand general election in Feb 2019

Jonathan Fairfield

On 6/23/2018 at 5:21 AM, darksidedog said:

So there it is confirmed. Prayut now only has 8 more months in which to rig the election. And we all know that is exactly what he plans on doing.

There is no guarantee that the election will be in Feb. He will say whatever he needs to take the pressure off and then worry about how to delay later when he is back home. The Royal Coronation has been floated as an excuse recently. Eventually the Thais will have had enough and pressure him or perhaps even a countercoup will take place but for now he continues to think he can baffle the world with excuses while he works on putting in the "fix" on the election. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2018 at 5:02 PM, johnsnapo said:

True what you say but I also hear a lot of cynical comments about the present regime and I have never experienced so many people prepared to discuss topics like this than years ago. I think most people know that this will be a big stitch up.

Cynical or tired? Honestly I have no problems with present regime.  At least it's stable.  I'm tired of the red-yellow back and forth.  This place is not ready for democracy.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2018 at 6:17 PM, robblok said:

It does matter to me.. just pointing out the hypocrites, complaining about Thai Niyom (and rightfully so) but not about the rice scheme, that was a vote buying scheme too just like Thai Niyom. You either oppose both or your hypocrite. Its nothing more than money for votes packed a bit differently not to look crude. 

Its strange you try to defend it with steal power.. weak defense IMHO similar policies should be condemned based on what they are not who implemented them. Look up the word bias. I

It wasn't a vote-buying scheme except ion the most jaundiced perception.

It was a subsidy scheme, similar to what all governments do to support their populations.

I understand that bigotry can be addictive; one gets addicted to the chemical changes it brings about in the brain, but it should not provide one with a refuge from reason or reality.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, essox essox said:

The British Prime Minister has had the wool pulled over her eyes.....she really has no idea as to what is happening in Thailand....like the banning of darts....the awful situation in Thai prisons... and the rights of people, that really do not exist.

I don't think that she has any idea of what is happening in the UK, nevermind Thailand.

20 hours ago, robblok said:

Of course you deny it.. lets see this election if large blocks have defected the PTP then we know its all about money and rewards not party loyalty. So lets wait and see who is right. If these MP's for instance do take large swatches of people and the Thai Niyom takes people too then we know Thais are doing it for the rewards. 

If it were me, I would take any reward offered and vote for whoever I like, are Thais so much different ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, phil2407 said:

Gen Prayut however, had to cut short his meeting with Thai expats due to a terror warning from security officers. The Royal Thai Embassy in London announced the warning affecting Thai people and advised them to exercise caution when returning home.

now is this the UK security officers or Thai security officers? 

Toad "bling watch" of Toad hall will probsbly now say no election in February (even after number 1 has promised so - like so many times before to world leaders) as risk to national security - maybe I'm being sceptical but doubt it 

Well, you could certainly argue, that, given Prayuth's propensity for postponing promised elections on no more basis ever, than him fearing the time is not right for him to win, that they will be put off again. Personally, I view his postponements as fear, fear of what happens if he loses, because if he loses, all of his supporters will melt away into th background and leave him and his mates swinging in the wind.

This being the case, we should look for the security situation in UK, or Wales, or Grimsby, or Nepal all to have an immediate implication for Thailand. Hell, any old excuse will do when push comes to shove - yes?

This guy is in more trouble than he can shake a stick at. The fix is in alright, but not the way he hoped, and not the way many TV readers are afraid of. Prayuth is already carrion. Look for Prawit to retire on health grounds soon.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, lincolnshire poacher said:

If it were me, I would take any reward offered and vote for whoever I like, are Thais so much different ?

No, they're not. Of course they're not, who would knowingly refuse free money?

This has been the known-about fallacy in the arguments of the vote-buying brigade for years. They don't take any notice, it isn't what they want to hear.

None so blind as those who don't want to see, nor so stupid as those who refuse to learn.

Taking refuge in a fantasy world used to be called psychotic. In Thailand it's called being loyal to something-or-other.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

It wasn't a vote-buying scheme except ion the most jaundiced perception.

It was a subsidy scheme, similar to what all governments do to support their populations.

I understand that bigotry can be addictive; one gets addicted to the chemical changes it brings about in the brain, but it should not provide one with a refuge from reason or reality.

You should take your own advice from the third paragraph. 

It was a vote buying scheme, it convinced farmers to vote for PTP. Just like Thai Niyom is something all governments do for their people but its also populist. That is the problem with people like you. Your too bias you have a hard time saying anything bad about the Shins. Open-minded people look through these things and see that both sides are employing the same bad tactics. The junta just copied it from the PTP. 

I dare you to find a subsidy scheme that cost the same as 50% of the countries annual health budget (to put things in perspective). Just look up the numbers and you will see I am right about the numbers. (i forget you probably put in some witty remarks and skirt the real issues)

Edited by robblok

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

It was a vote buying scheme, it convinced farmers to vote for PTP. Just like Thai Niyom is something all governments do for their people but its also populist. That is the problem with people like you. Your too bias you have a hard time saying anything bad about the Shins. Open-minded people look through these things and see that both sides are employing the same bad tactics. The junta just copied it from the PTP. 

I dare you to find a subsidy scheme that cost the same as 50% of the countries annual health budget (to put things in perspective). Just look up the numbers and you will see I am right about the numbers. (i forget you probably put in some witty remarks and skirt the real issues)

Yesterday you appeared to understand that the PTP rice pricing policy was not a vote buying scheme since the farmers' loyalties were already secure.One day later you repeat the same old lie.One supposes you are so immersed in prejudice you cannot help it rather like a dog returning to its vomit.

You are very keen on calling out others on their bias yet you insistently reveal your own prejudice (and lack of understanding).To take one example although the Junta has copied PTP policies supporting farmers its position is not comparable since it has virtually no support in that demographic.Therefore, unlike the PTP, their policies do amount to "vote buying".Actually I see no harm in implementation of policies which help out the rural majority from whatever direction they come.But to attempt as you do to conflate/equate the Junta and PTP is absurd and it is doubtful whether the electorate will be fooled (as you apparently have been) by the former's lies, duplicity and cynicism.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Yesterday you appeared to understand that the PTP rice pricing policy was not a vote buying scheme since their loyalties were already secure.One day later you repeat the same old lie.One presumes you cannot help it rather like a dog returning to its vomit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No you said it was not a vote buying scheme. I still see it as a vote buying scheme. You were saying they would have voted for them with or without it. What I said was lets wait and see until the elections. If they don't get as much votes as before (votes not seats) then these policies have more impact then you want to admit. If the get the same or more.. then I am wrong. So let the election decide who of us is right. No need for crude remarks.

Edited by robblok

1 minute ago, robblok said:

No you said it was not a vote buying scheme. I still see it as a vote buying scheme. You were saying they would have voted for them with or without it. What I said was lets wait and see until the elections. If they don't get as much votes as before (votes not seats) then these policies have more impact then you want to admit. If the get the same or more.. then I am wrong. So let the election decide who of us is right. No need for crude remarks.

Are  you suggesting that without the rice price support policy the PTP would not have won so convincing a victory at the last election?

Don't be dishonest about your earlier comments particularly since your comments are on the record.You conceded the point and came up with some rubbish about the policy being designed to capture voters further up the food chain.

You still haven't grasped the forthcoming elections won't be much of a guide given it is to be conducted under the Junta's constitution designed to damage large political parties, not to speak of the ban on political campaigning.It won't be a like for like comparison in the way you suggest.

14 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Are  you suggesting that without the rice price support policy the PTP would not have won so convincing a victory at the last election?

Don't be dishonest about your earlier comments particularly since your comments are on the record.You conceded the point and came up with some rubbish about the policy being designed to capture voters further up the food chain.

You still haven't grasped the forthcoming elections won't be much of a guide given it is to be conducted under the Junta's constitution designed to damage large political parties, not to speak of the ban on political campaigning.It won't be a like for like comparison in the way you suggest.

I am saying that farmer supports helps them win the election and if they did not have the rice policy and other populist policies their votes would be less. You should be honest, i have constantly talked about the elections and comparing results now populist policies cant be done by the PTP and swathes of MP's leaving them for money (if the people stay with those MP's then they were never loyal to the PTP but to their MP). The MP's are the one that fix things for their voters make sure money gets to them in way of projects. You saw how Newin his area was promised all kinds of projects by the PM.

I am not dishonest its you.. we agreed on comparing votes and now all of a sudden you see the PTP is losing power and your afraid to commit. I say its because of the failure to do populist policies and having their mercenaries run away form them (they were paid before by Thaksin now they got a new master) That is a form of vote buying too. 

You can't accept that people vote for a party not because of ideology but because of what they get from a party. Especially in poorer countries (think Maslov if your educated as you pretend to be you get my drift). So a party that always supports the farmers will get their support because they get money. You should read the rice growers comments the happiest time in their life was during the rice program because they got double the price if that is not vote buying then what is (i read this in interviews I will look for the links)

found the link

“We don’t have to worry about money anymore,” said Kongsri Matsombat, a 56-year-old rice farmer from Nong Bua Kham Mun Village. “We never thought that rice farming could make us happy like this.”

https://isaanrecord.com/2014/02/18/khon-kaen-farmers-rally-in-support-of-governments-rice-policy/

Edited by robblok

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am saying that farmer supports helps them win the election and if they did not have the rice policy and other populist policies their votes would be less.

I am bit perplexed by your statement. The rice pledging scheme and other populist policies were national policies. The South and Central regions rice growers were also in the rice pledging scheme and other schemes too but didn't help PTP  win majority of their votes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I am bit perplexed by your statement. The rice pledging scheme and other populist policies were national policies. The South and Central regions rice growers were also in the rice pledging scheme and other schemes too but didn't help PTP  win majority of their votes. 

Your in denial.. its ok i just have different views. If you truly believe this has no impact on voting then ask yourself why would they come up with populist policies if they don't work. 

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your in denial.. its ok i just have different views. If you truly believe this has no impact on voting then ask yourself why would they come up with populist policies if they don't work. 

Just stating the facts. You getting rather emotional when facts are presented. If you say that coming up with populist policies has an impact on votes, then may I ask why the Dem didn't win when they too promised popular policies like the Thai Khem Khaeng which include 2,000 B cash to people earning less than 15k per month or the 2k cash for enrolling in vocational studies and also the 500B for pensioners. The scheme was not small either at 1.4 T Baht and it too didn't work. What we are saying that populist policies are not the only incentives for wining the votes. 

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Just stating the facts. You getting rather emotional when facts are presented. If you say that coming up with populist policies has an impact on votes, then may I ask why the Dem didn't win when they too promised popular policies like the Thai Khem Khaeng which include 2,000 B cash to people earning less than 15k per month or the 2k cash for enrolling in vocational studies and also the 500B for pensioners. The scheme was not small either at 1.4 T Baht and it too didn't work. What we are saying that populist policies are not the only incentives for wining the votes. 

I am saying the same, populist policies are not the ONLY incentive but they DO influence things otherwise they would not be used. I am stating facts too, think the only thing to discuss how much they influence voting. We will see with the election. If the PTP gets the same nr of votes as last time (not seats). Then they obviously don't matter much if they lose a lot of votes then the incentive obviously mattered a lot. 

I know we need to take into account that they have less time to campaign.. but that goes for all political parties except the junta. Let the election decide who of us is right. We can debate all we want but in the end there is no proof either way but the election will show if a party got more or less votes as before. 2 things changed they can't do popular policies while the junta can (bad thing but will demonstrate if popular policies work or not) and they have less time to campaign. 

On 6/23/2018 at 4:21 PM, darksidedog said:

So there it is confirmed. Prayut now only has 8 more months in which to rig the election. And we all know that is exactly what he plans on doing.

The month for an election has been stated, as it has been on several occasions when talking to foreign leaders over the past few years. However, until a date is named the election cannot really be called confirmed.

Might happen in February 2019, but experience suggests it might not.

Edited by Aj Mick

Here is the link to NNT (National News Bureau of Thailand) in English:

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNPOL6106220010004

Here is the same link to the article in Thai:

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_th/news/news_detail/TNPOL6106220010004

No mention of an election in the Thai version. And, when you click to translate from Thai to English, it takes you to an irrelevant page. 

I won't be banking on an election next February.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teacherofwoe said:

Here is the link to NNT (National News Bureau of Thailand) in English:

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNPOL6106220010004

Here is the same link to the article in Thai:

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_th/news/news_detail/TNPOL6106220010004

No mention of an election in the Thai version. And, when you click to translate from Thai to English, it takes you to an irrelevant page. 

I won't be banking on an election next February.

When I put the Thai version into Google Translate, it does mention 'the election will be held early next year' - so suitably and conveniently vague and unspecific, yet again.

Edited by Eligius

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Sorry bud, I can't toss about with factoids like these. Compare health budgets as a %age of GDP and I might listen a bit longer, but if you're going to be dishonest, then I'm going to be looking at my ignore list again.

1 minute ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Sorry bud, I can't toss about with factoids like these. Compare health budgets as a %age of GDP and I might listen a bit longer, but if you're going to be dishonest, then I'm going to be looking at my ignore list again.

Please put me at your ignore list if you can't debate. I dared you to find a subsidy scheme that is the same as 50% of the health budget and that is a 100% fact. So if you think its ok to spend amounts like 50% of a health budget on a small group of farmers instead of everyone then sure be my guest.