SURVEY: Death Penalty -- More, less or none at all?

Scott

SURVEY: Death Penalty, more, less or not at all?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Generally speaking I am against the death penalty. The thing that concerns me with "no death penalty" is that those murderers and/or rapists who are released back into the community prematurely just to do the same again. Probably get released because of overcrowding and one less mouth to feed. 

At least if they are put down like a rabid dog they don't get to kill other innocent people again.

There was an example of your concerns here a short while ago. An American, a convicted murderer released after serving jail time for shooting someone, violently kills an Australian in a bar, stamping on his head according to reports. He goes to the police and the case is suddenly out of the public eye with no charges. 

The two concerns are as you say, killers kill again and in some places the justice system is somewhat lacking. There is nothing to suggest the American killer won't kill again. But seemingly he's off somewhere free as a bird.

• Like 1

Capital punishment can be useful as a deterrent ONLY if the perpetrators believe that there is a high probability they will be pursued, caught and the due process of law and punishment handed down accordingly.

If the police still insist on lax enforcement, cherry picking high profile cases with media coverage,  judicial sentences handed down based on socio-economics and life sentences given pardons etc,  focusing only on the punishment without overhauling the process will only be in vain.

• Like 2

There really is no validity whatever in asking a dissociated populace what they think about anything other than what directly affects them (in which case they are more associated).

No point to it at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

About 4% of Americans put to death are innocent. I imagine there many political executions in places like China and religious executions in places like Saudi. If the Americans can get 4% wrongfully executed with a good justice system, just think what corrupt countries like Thailand are getting wrong.

Good  to hear that means 96% got  what they needed...............I know what youre  thinking.

1 minute ago, kannot said:

Good  to hear that means 96% got  what they needed...............I know what youre  thinking.

Yes I realize you know I'm thinking even one wrongfully, murdered by the state innocent person, is one too many.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Thats ok they could farm it  out to other countries....problem solved and "very Thai"

No.

Not really at all.

Let me rephrase for the pedants [look up the word if you think it is accusing you of being a sexual predator].

States should not kill their own, or other states, citizens.

Happy now?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveB2 said:

Go for it - and make the execution public. Reasons?

• Zero repeat offender rate.
  • No extended prison or legal expenses.
  • Obvious deterrence value among the general public.
  • Closure and justice seen to be served for the victims families.
  • Humane for the convicted person. (Locking people up for decades like zoo animals is in-humane)
  • Reduces prison population reducing in lower costs to the government & tax payer.

It's all good. ?

1. And it must be carried out by the victim's family. If people are so intent on having a person executed, then they must do it. Stop asking the state to do it for them.
  2.  And the method of execution is to be by beheading at public execution. The family member must do this personally. None of this giving a needle or pulling a trigger, it's got to be up there and personal.
  3. And if the family cannot do it, then the sentence is life without parole or pardon.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The state should not kill its own citizens. 

So a Thai guy kills your wife/husband point blank, and you want him/her walking the streets in 15 years? 

What a #&€¢] 

6 minutes ago, surreybloke said:

Sooo why did we get rid of the rope in the uk ???   Well the answer might be that we  kept hanging the innocent 

I think it was a wave of revulsion following the Ruth Ellis hanging at Holloway, plus I suspect the government may have had an early yen to join the EC, and that is now (not sure if it was then) a condition of entry.

Plus, of course, as you suggest, the Timothy Evans thing was a debacle. Mentally sub-normal, and innocent, yet there he went, innocence didn't protect him very well...

Edited by KiwiKiwi

12 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

While I understand the desire on the part of some to see the death penalty used, especially for the most heinous of crimes, I do not believe it is rational to use it in Thailand because of the Police, the Legal System and the Judiciary.

The Police. Is there anyone here who will express high confidence in the abilities, honesty and professionalism of the police? Anyone?

The legal system. Inside the legal system, there are clerks who handle evidence, there are CSI technicians, there are administrators, there are court clerks and translators (as required), etc. Is there anyone here who will express high confidence in the abilities, honesty and professionalism of all these people? We all deal with Thai bureaucrats on a regular basis; anyone want to express that confidence?

The Judiciary. We have all seen several... dubious decisions by the Judiciary over the years, especially where there are High-Sos and/or money involved. Is there anyone here who will express high confidence in the abilities, honesty and professionalism of the Judiciary? Anyone?

If a society wants to have the Death Penalty, then it must have an incredibly effective, honest, professional and competent Police Force, Support People in the Justice System, and Judiciary. Can anyone argue that these things exist in Thailand?

Utilizing the Death Penalty in Thailand is madness. Unfortunately, the entire Justice system does not yet rise to the level of competence required to be able to assert that an innocent person would not be executed. And, until you can confidently assert that an innocent person will not be executed, you should not and must not use the Death Penalty.

It's their country, we don't have a dog in this fight, and our opinions don't make for a hill of beans...........my only hope is they start cleaning house, execute the hundreds on death row, and stop giving bail to people that have been sentenced to death - clear the backlog then re-visit.  I was here in the seventies, death sentences were carried out swiftly, firing squad, all shooters with loaded weapons, and held in public places - local population was required to attend, family had to pay for the bullets.  Violent crimes were almost nil down Sattahip/Rayong way.  

9 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

Thailand has the death penalty.

Did it deter the perpetrator in any way?

No

Could the wrong person be convicted and put to death?

Quite possible especially in Thailand.

It didn't deter them because Thailand hasn't executed anyone in over nine years, if they started speeding up the executions, and stop giving murders and rapists bail after being sentenced to death - irregardless of the circumstances - it be a major deterent..........nothing wrong with ruling with an iron fist once in awhile.

7 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

It didn't deter them because Thailand hasn't executed anyone in over nine years, if they started speeding up the executions, and stop giving murders and rapists bail after being sentenced to death - irregardless of the circumstances - it be a major deterent..........nothing wrong with ruling with an iron fist once in awhile.

There’s no evidence supporting the claim that the death penalty deters crime. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/04/30/theres-still-no-evidence-that-executions-deter-criminals/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8eac7b1147f8

https://amp.businessinsider.com/death-penalty-longer-harsher-sentences-mandatory-minimum-drug-dealers-deter-crime-rate-trump-2018-3

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

It should never being used simply because one should never take anything one can not give back ,when mistaken.

Also why would any sane person voluntarily give politicians the right to legally take their life.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

What percentage were innocent and how many were political executions?

Yeah not our problem, but we are still allowed to have opinions.

no one knows those answers - not a country on this planet can say with exact certainty that anyone convicted of a crime is 100% guilty...........its like trying to answer a 5 year old child's question, "What came first, the chicken or the egg" no one really knows the answer to that as well.    guilty based on 'the preponderance of evidence' is the key term here, we ar human, until we are replaced with robots 'whatever will be, will be'