What non-Thai foods did you start eating after you moved to Thailand?

Jingthing

If any, of course.

When we move to Thailand, naturally we're going to be exposed to new THAI foods we haven't seen before.

However, there is lots of international food here as well.

This topic is only about non-Thai foods that expats started to eat after moving to Thailand.

I suppose for many expats, there may be none.

Please share what those foods are for you, if any.

Here are the some for me that I can think of right away --

Buffalo Chicken Wings (American)

Although I'm American I had never even tried them once before moving to Thailand. So I went through a phase of eating them sometimes after I tried them once here, and liked them. For some reason, I'm over them and stopped ordering them entirely.

Kvas (Russian, Ukraine, etc.)

This is a fermented beverage made with bread. It's kind of like a less sweet coca-cola, and a tiny bit like beer. I like fizzy things and I like fermented things, so it was love at first sip. I tried it for the first time here and now I'm becoming ADDICTED. A bit ironic as I suppose my ancestors from Russian Ukraine drank it regularly as well, though I'm not sure about that. 

Spaghetti Carbonara (Italian)

I don't eat this often, but surprisingly, I tried it for the first time in Thailand. Missed it before even in Italy. 

I got into vietnamese food big time but we no longer live near the tasty restaurant and where I am now, they are not nearly as good.

That's funny because Vietnamese is one of my favorites but decent Vietnamese is basically unavailable in Pattaya so not here.

In keeping with the spirit of the topic please reference specific foods as opposed to entire national cuisines.

For example Pho.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

That's looks lovely. I am a big fan of this dish. Is it from laos? I ask as I cannot find this in vientiane I thought it was from laos. Strangely, when I had it in CM was never that impressed. We make it at home now I usually eat it for 3 days as we make a big pot. We make it a bit spicier than I recall having in a Lanna restaurant or two in bkk. Nearest thing to a curry for me here.

It's a Burmese origin dish very popular in "Lanna" region of Thailand. I think it's so integrated and prevalent there that I would tend to call it not relevant to this topic. It's basically a regional THAI dish now. 

Now if you said that you started to eat Burmese tea leaf salad here that would be more apt. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's a Burmese origin dish very popular in "Lanna" region of Thailand. I think it's so integrated and prevalent there that I would tend to call it not relevant to this topic. It's basically a regional THAI dish now. 

Now if you said that you started to eat Burmese tea leaf salad here that would be more apt. 

Same could be said for your chicken wings. It's a crap topic to be fair and it should be about foods we began eating once in thailand.

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Spaghetti Carbonara

I get that from time to time in 7-11.

Obviously better when you make it yourself.

The only thing I get brought over from UK is Marmite but I guess you can get that here now like nearly all western food. 

Middle eastern/Israeli food i've only ever eaten in Thailand  - there's a really good Middle Eastern restaurant in Hua Hin.

Vietnamese food is another i've only eaten in Thailand.

I'd not tried Sushi before living in Thailand either.
Thanks for that.
The sushi thing is particularly on point to this topic.
Sushi is very popular globally but you tried it first in Thailand and it's not Thai food.
Like my Buffalo chicken wings example. As an American I never felt moved to try that iconic American dish but did in Thailand at American restaurants and liked it.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's the egg in it that was the novelty for me.

But wait, is it somewhat American?!? :stoner::stoner:

This dish is a deli egg-bacon-and-cheese-on-a-roll that has been pasta-fied, fancified, fetishized and turned into an Italian tradition that, like many inviolate Italian traditions, is actually far less old than the Mayflower. Because America may have contributed to its creation, carbonara is Exhibit A in the back-and-forth between Italy and the United States when it comes to food. Remember: the main goal is creaminess.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12965-spaghetti-carbonara

I tried these and vowed never again.

Chesters - was good once but awful since so no more.

Carl's JR - I was shockEd and put off by the size of clientele and food was not all that and was off putting.

Sizzlers - pretty good fares better than most and a good varied salad bar

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's the egg in it that was the novelty for me.

But wait, is it somewhat American?!

Egg (coddled), hard cheese (Parmesan et al), and pork jowl (or Bacon) are in the original.

Is is supposed to be creamy but not actually have cream in it.

Edited by MrY
for trivial reasons
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I tried these and vowed never again.

Chesters - was good once but awful since so no more.

Carl's JR - I was shockEd and put off by the size of clientele and food was not all that and was off putting.

Sizzlers - pretty good fares better than most and a good varied salad bar

Please read the O.P.

Your post has nothing to do with this topic.

It is not about restaurant reviews. 

1 hour ago, MrY said:

How on earth is Spaghetti alla Carbonara any kind of version of Spaghetti Gorgonzola sauce..? Carbonara is made with Parmesan or Grana Padano or Pecorino Romano, whereas Gorgonzola is a blue cheese.

At least you are not suggesting cream as in what passes for carbonara around here.

my impression is carbonara looks quite a bit like gorgonzola, (texture & thickness too)

and taste wise, its a blend copy. it is also many times cheaper,

as good as spagetti gorgonzola is, i dont think there would be enough

customers willing to pay in pattaya

Edited by poanoi
  • Confused 1

I'm American and love breakfast cereal, but couldn't find any of my brands in Thailand or at last not at a price I can afford. In desperation, I tried the cheapest one I could find, Weetabix, which I think is from UK. Holy cr@p, what horrible food!  This is British cuisine? It's exactly what I would imagine a cardboard shoebox to taste like if I were ever to eat a cardboard shoebox.  So I flipped over to oatmeal instead which ended up being a good, healthy & affordable breakfast solution.  

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, poanoi said:

my impression is carbonara looks quite a bit like gorgonzola, (texture & thickness too)

and taste wise, its a blend copy. it is also many times cheaper,

as good as spagetti gorgonzola is, i dont think there would be enough

customers willing to pay in pattaya

Carbonara has no milk or cream. 

Nobody has ever had a true Carbonara on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even though I used to eat Korean food frequently before I moved to Thailand, in Thailand I was exposed to Dueji Galbi Jjim (spicy pork rib stew w/ rice cakes) and eat it periodically. It's considered a better dish with beef ribs but I haven't seen it on menus here. It would be more expensive as well.

https://gangnamkitchen.com/2013/01/29/spicy-dueji-galbi-jjim-돼지갈비찜-spicy-pork-ribs/

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Why is it a silly thread? It looks like an interesting one to me.

In my experience, some people are extremely bothered when there is an attempt to keep topics focused in a specific way. They seem to want every topic to be about almost everything. New foods we try in Thailand that are THAI is just too bloody obvious. But I really do think this is more interesting and perhaps surprising to some. Move to Thailand and discover new foods (to us) that aren't Thai? Even perhaps more rarely (shock and awe) a new to you food from your own home country? Who knew? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

In laos I had these spring rolls but they were different to spring rolls I eat here. Maybe healthier and cruncher too.

They were wrapped in a noodle type wrap but roasted to make them crunchy. They were great. 

The Vietnamese dish I love is the chopped pork accompanied by chopped:

Veg and fruit

Chillies

You grab the noodle paper (name unknown to me) grab a piece of pork some veg and chopped Mango and a spoon of sauce dripped over and wrap it.

Anyone know the name of this food?