What non-Thai foods did you start eating after you moved to Thailand?

Jingthing

29 minutes ago, USNret said:

I'm American and love breakfast cereal, but couldn't find any of my brands in Thailand or at last not at a price I can afford. In desperation, I tried the cheapest one I could find, Weetabix, which I think is from UK. Holy cr@p, what horrible food!  This is British cuisine? It's exactly what I would imagine a cardboard shoebox to taste like if I were ever to eat a cardboard shoebox.  So I flipped over to oatmeal instead which ended up being a good, healthy & affordable breakfast solution.  

You think Weetabix is bad, you should try Shredded Wheat.

• Haha 1

I'm wracking my brains trying to think of something, not Thai, that I've eaten here in Thailand that I never ate in the UK.

So far I can't think of anything, mind you I'm like @thaiguzzi,  I don't get out much. Plus my missus is a fantastic cook.

So, @Jingthing, as this is your topic, how about recommending something to me and I'll make the effort and go out.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

In laos I had these spring rolls but they were different to spring rolls I eat here. Maybe healthier and cruncher too.

They were wrapped in a noodle type wrap but roasted to make them crunchy. They were great. 

The Vietnamese dish I love is the chopped pork accompanied by chopped:

Veg and fruit

Chillies

You grab the noodle paper (name unknown to me) grab a piece of pork some veg and chopped Mango and a spoon of sauce dripped over and wrap it.

Anyone know the name of this food?

Maybe you're talking about nam neung.

It's perhaps the only Vietnamese dish that's popular with Thais in Thailand. 

The pork is in the form of mini sausages which I think are usually mildly fermented.

Click for pic.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293917-d2153933-Reviews-VT_Namnueng-Chiang_Mai.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=293716301

This is a good one for me because it applies to me as well! Even though I ate tons of Viet food before moving here, never nam neung. But it's common here. In my case it's not nearly my favorite Viet food though and can't even get a half decent Pho where I live. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jochen Mosthaf said:

you can find that in the north of Thailand too. Off topic??? what's that???

Burmese tea leaf salad would be much much rarer to find in Thailand outside a street stall selling to Burmese laborers. 

Khao Soy (curry soup w/ egg noodles) on the other hand is found at food courts all over Thailand and much more widely in Northern Thailand. 

It's considered Northern Thai Lanna regional food by Thais. They don't see it as Burmese food. 

Home made bread,  Bacon & eggs.  Yorkies Sausages.   Steak & kidney pies whenever near an Irish pub.  And Guinness, the breakfst of champions, ditto re Irish pubs (Fave: Hanrahan's, Soi 4, Sukhumvit.   The Pizza Co is quite expensive even for Thailand but not bad in a junk food emergency.  Dying to try a Dominos Pizza here.   The Franchise here is under an Aust - N.Z.  major franchise holder comany operating in several countries.  Dominos in Aust - N.Z. are YUMMEE!!!

10 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Home made bread,  Bacon & eggs.  Yorkies Sausages.   Steak & kidney pies whenever near an Irish pub.  And Guinness, the breakfst of champions, ditto re Irish pubs (Fave: Hanrahan's, Soi 4, Sukhumvit.   The Pizza Co is quite expensive even for Thailand but not bad in a junk food emergency.  Dying to try a Dominos Pizza here.   The Franchise here is under an Aust - N.Z.  major franchise holder comany operating in several countries.  Dominos in Aust - N.Z. are YUMMEE!!!

It didn't say we had not to have eaten them before.   I took it to mean we moved here and failed to live/survive on just Thai food and went looking for the things we couldn't live without.  P.S.  I admit that I had never tried Yorkies sausages before coming to Thailand.  Today's secret. (Most Americans just may have sampled buffalo wings elsewhere so I guess I am not the only one who read it that way.)  I have a bread maker, a real oven, coffee plungers a tioaster and a slow cooker. Life is hard but "I not complain!!!!!"

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nope. It is specifically about foods that are NOT Thai that you tried for the first time in Thailand (and liked them).

But I don't think it quite spelled that out.  I will read again.You just ruined what started out as a perfect day.   I have read it again.  I guess I can see you intended that NOW, but it's NOT really clear. Sorry.

Edited by The Deerhunter

An Indian dishes that I tried for the first time in Thailand and liked well enough to order again ---

Reshmi chicken kabab 

(Chicken is first marinated in cashews, cream, and mild spices)

I usually prefer super hot and spicy Indian food but I get it now, not all Indian dishes are supposed to be spicy. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nope. It is specifically about foods that are NOT Thai that you tried for the first time in Thailand (and liked them).

Stop stamping your feet. Jeez.