Bangkok Bombings: Suspects Identified

Jai Dee

Police considering evidence of bombings at Seacon Square and Major Ratchayothin shopping complex

The acting Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej, says the evidence of the Bangkok bombings is being considered before more arrest warrants will be issued. The evidence is linked to the bombings in Seacon Square and Major Ratchayothin on December 31st 2006.

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth says four bombing incidents are being studied in Canada, and three of those have been sent back to Thailand. He says arrest warrants have already been issued to the culprits who are involved with the blast in Saphan Kwai. However, police will have to wait for the evidence of the bombings in Seacon Square and Major Ratchayothin to be clearer before arrest warrants will be issued. Pol. Gen. Seripisuth says the preliminary information can link the offenders and the bombing incidents, but he could not reveal the information yet.

As for the unrest rumors in Bangkok during March 13th and 15th, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth asks the media not to amplify them and the general public not to be panic. He says he is confident the police and army officers can take care of their safety.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 March 2007

Actually this is the first statement that makes sense and does not look like a balancing act between saving face and finding the bombers. I must say I am impressed that it is actually starting to look like real police work.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Help from Canada and Australia to help solveing this case.

They should stay on this path to perform the rehauling of the entire police force.

I may also point out the only two countries that have issued some sort of warning about Thailand.

Police set to seek arrest warrants for bombs

Police will ask the Criminal Court tomorrow to issue arrest warrants for suspects behind the New Year's Eve bombs, National Police Assistant Commissioner Lt General Jongrak Juthanont said yesterday.

Jongrak declined to disclose the number of suspects or details about them, saying he would go to the court himself to get the warrants for suspects responsible for the Major Cineplex Ratchyothin bomb.

A source at police headquarters said investigators had sought the arrest warrants after examining close-circuit-camera footage that had undergone expert analysis and Canadian photo-enhancing techniques.

Meanwhile Lt-Colonel Manas Sukprasert, a suspect in the alleged plot to kill ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra with a car bomb, went to the Crime Suppression Division yesterday to hear two additional charges against him - of conspiring to transport explosives and conspiring to carry weapons in public places.

Manas covered his face and refused to comment.

On Tuesday, another suspect, Lieutenant Thawatchai Klinchana - arrested on August 24 while driving a car allegedly laden with explosives under the Bang Plat flyover - had to face the same two additional charges.

Police had scheduled the third suspect, Colonel Surapol Supradit - alleged to be the buyer of the sedan and a key operative in the alleged attack - to hear the additional charges today.

Source: The Nation - 15 March 2007

Edited by Jai Dee
News source identified

Court approves arrest warrant against suspected New Year's Eve bomber

The Criminal Court Friday approved an arrest warrant against an unidentified man who allegedly planted one of nine bombs in Bangkok on New Year's Eve.

The court approved the warrant against the man who was seen on a security camera dropping a black plastic bag into a garbage bin in front of McDonald Restaurant in the compound of Major Cineplex Rajayothin.

The man appeared to be around 25 to 30 years old.

Source: The Nation - 16 March 2007

Court approves arrest warrant against suspected New Year's Eve bomber

The Criminal Court Friday approved an arrest warrant against an unidentified man who allegedly planted one of nine bombs in Bangkok on New Year's Eve.

The court approved the warrant against the man who was seen on a security camera dropping a black plastic bag into a garbage bin in front of McDonald Restaurant in the compound of Major Cineplex Rajayothin.

The man appeared to be around 25 to 30 years old.

Source: The Nation - 16 March 2007

They have images of the suspect so why don't they release them straight away - According to TV tonight there will be a press conference sometime next week when they will decide whether to release the suspects image or not ! Why the delay ?

Arrest warrant issued for a man with limp

The Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant on Friday for a man with a limp suspected of dropping a bomb into a rubbish bin in Major Ratchayothin cinema on New Year's Eve.

The warrant was issued after Assistant National Police Commissioner Lt Gen Jongrak Juthanont had given evidence to the court.

The person suspected of dropping a black bag into a rubbish bin in front of a Mc Donald's outlet at the Major Cineplex Ratchayothin shopping plaza is believed to be Thai aged between 25-30 years old.

He is thin and tall. He was wearing a cap and apparently had a limp.

He is wanted on charges of terrorism, attempted murder, illegal possession of explosives and triggering an explosion that could be harmful to others. If convicted, the maximum penalty is death.

The suspect was caught on a security video camera. The pictures were enhanced by Canadabased image processing experts.

The images will be released to the media next Wednesday, after which police expect to receive useฌful information from the public.

Charan Dithapichai, a Human Rights Commissioner, said he believed the decision of the court to issue the warrant was based on strong evidence. However, he said, police should be careful to arrest the right person as the warrant did not specifically identify any indiฌvidual.

"Police should try their best to avoid arresting an innocent perฌson, which would be a violation of their human rights," he said.

Meanwhile, the search for a man suspected of planting a bomb at a police box near Saphan Khwai Intersection, Jongrak said investigators were now sifting through piles of information given by people after a picture of the suspect was released.

The Nation

CNS yet to be convinced rebels behind Bangkok bomb blasts

The Council for National Security (CNS) has yet to be convinced by police reports linking southern separatists to the New Year bombings in Bangkok and Nonthaburi. CNS chairman Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin yesterday urged the public to only listen to information released by the CNS to avoid confusion. ''If you listen to what others say, we don't know exactly how much evidence they've got. They must report to the CNS first, so we can see how credible their report is,'' said Gen Sonthi, responding to police reports leaked to the media.

Gen Saprang Kalayanamitr, CNS deputy secretary-general, asked police not to unveil details of their probe into the New Year bombings or comment before the investigation team provides concrete findings, an informed source said. ''Otherwise, it could terrify city residents,'' the source quoted Gen Saprang as saying while meeting yesterday with top officers from the armed forces and police at the Navy headquarters.

Full story: http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/20Mar2007_news09.php

CNS yet to be convinced rebels behind Bangkok bomb blasts

The Council for National Security (CNS) has yet to be convinced by police reports linking southern separatists to the New Year bombings in Bangkok and Nonthaburi. CNS chairman Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin yesterday urged the public to only listen to information released by the CNS to avoid confusion. ''If you listen to what others say, we don't know exactly how much evidence they've got. They must report to the CNS first, so we can see how credible their report is,'' said Gen Sonthi, responding to police reports leaked to the media.

Gen Saprang Kalayanamitr, CNS deputy secretary-general, asked police not to unveil details of their probe into the New Year bombings or comment before the investigation team provides concrete findings, an informed source said. ''Otherwise, it could terrify city residents,'' the source quoted Gen Saprang as saying while meeting yesterday with top officers from the armed forces and police at the Navy headquarters.

Full story: http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/20Mar2007_news09.php

This gets funnier by the minute: now we got the two self proclaimed heros- (ya think I'm bad, well what about Taksin) Saprang and (ya wanna make me your enemy?)Seripisuth going at each other. And the appointment of Seripisuth was intended to smooth relations between the police and the army? Right.

The Council for National Security (CNS) has yet to be convinced by police reports linking southern separatists to the New Year bombings in Bangkok and Nonthaburi.

Press conference this morning about the third suspect : ""We have the person's appearance, the person's name and address," Pol Gen Seripisuth said in a press conference".

Police will ask next week an arrest warrant...

So, why not release his name and address. Is the third suspect coming from the south for instance ?

:o

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=117555

Edited by cclub75

I find it very interesting theat two elements of the Thai government are saying Don’t believe them believe me. It certainly suggest a lot of underlying turbulence. That last time I saw this was in September 2005 just before Thaksin could no longer keep his wrongdoings from the public eye.

I fully suspect this to become 110% political and have little to do with reality for at least the short term.

Does anyone care to offer political analysis on this?

I find it very interesting theat two elements of the Thai government are saying Don’t believe them believe me. It certainly suggest a lot of underlying turbulence. That last time I saw this was in September 2005 just before Thaksin could no longer keep his wrongdoings from the public eye.

I fully suspect this to become 110% political and have little to do with reality for at least the short term.

Does anyone care to offer political analysis on this?

Whoever (if anyone) gets blamed for this will not necessarily have done it, and the masterminds will inevitably not be caught. No politcal bombing in Thailand has ever been solved. At this point it may even serve a common purpose to blame one group rather than another. Interesting to notice the announcements were not made by the new police chief. As with all things look at who made the announcement, who is in charge of the investigation and what faction they support. No doubt there is a lot of infighting as factions joust for power and form and break and reform alliances by playing politics with everything.

Royal Thai Police Chief holds meeting concerning BKK bombings

The Interim Royal Thai Police Commissioner General held a meeting on investigative progress in the Bangkok and Nonthaburi bombing case.

Interim Royal Thai Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Seripisuth Themiyawes (เสรีพิศุทธ์ เตมียาเวส), called for a meeting of investigative personnel handling the Bangkok and Nonthaburi bombing case in order to receive work progress reports. Officials are expected to discuss suspect who procured a large quantity of diodes and batteries from Ban Mhor (บ้านหม้อ ) 1 week prior to the bombing event.

The commissioner general will also be expediting warrants for the arrest of additional suspects next week, following a meeting with the Council for National Security (CNS) on March 20. Pol Gen Seripisuth revealed that police may be publicly broadcasting surveillance images of suspects from the Major Cineplex Ratchayothin crime scene in obtain important details from members of the public.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 March 2007

to discuss suspect who procured a large quantity of diodes and batteries from Ban Mhor (บ้านหม้อ ) 1 week prior to the bombing event.

Ah ! A new "detail"...

Does Anyone know what is "Ban Mhor" ?

As for the suspect, of course if they have nailed the purchase manager of a mobile phones factory... it's going to be messy. :o

I'm wondering what is a "large quantity" of diodes ?... :D

Edited by cclub75

Warrants issued for two more suspected Bangkok bombers

Police have obtained arrest warrants against two more suspects who were believed to have launch one of nine bomb attacks in Bangkok on New Year's Eve.

Acting national police chief Pol Gen Seri Temiyavej said the two suspects were seen on security camera of the Seacon Square to have allegedly planted a bomb inside the shopping centre.

He said the warrants, approved by the South Bangkok District Court on Wednesday, did not specify the names of the suspects although police now know the identities.

Seri explained that since the suspects' pictures were printed from video feed of the security camera, investigators decided not to state the names of the suspects in the warrants yet.

Source: The Nation - 22 March 2007

He said the warrants, approved by the South Bangkok District Court on Wednesday, did not specify the names of the suspects although police now know the identities.

Seri explained that since the suspects' pictures were printed from video feed of the security camera, investigators decided not to state the names of the suspects in the warrants yet.

Another Episode of the Great Bozo Thai Show !

I have to say that this one is really impressive : "We know the name... but no need to put it on the arrest warrant, because... we have only a photo from a camera, khrap".

:o

Edited by cclub75

To summarize : yesterday the police issued photos of new suspects (for Sacon Square shopping mall bombing) and asked for arrest warrants.

They "know the names" but didn't write them on the arrest warrants.

"Rare but legally acceptable", writes Bangkok Post this morning...

However, it appears that, as usual, this funny move was designed to keep the generals happy.

Rumors say that the suspects are linked with the south rebels... CNS has always said that the bombing were linked to "old clique", AKA Thaksin.

"A highly-placed police source said Pol Gen Seripisuth decided to request warrants from the court without specifying the suspects' names to avoid a conflict with the Council for National Security."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/23Mar2007_news03.php

But... in a dramatic move... one of the suspect, displayed on the photos, came out public yesterday ! To deny his involment. He wants to go to police -with reporters- to explain it.

He owns a foods shop in front of Seacon Square. This should take around 3 minutes to a -trained- police officer to check... :o

We can assume with 100 % certainty wthat the guy has indeed nothing to do with the Bangkok Bombings...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30030051

So back to square 1 : once again the thai police shows its utter incompetence.

Edited by cclub75

One of 2 new Bangkok bombing suspects deny charges

One of two new suspects in the New Year's Eve bombings in Bangkok came out to deny charges late Thursday night.

The suspect, Pratya Preechavej, 33, came to the news room of Kom Chad Luek to deny charges.

Pratya came to seek help from the newspaper after seeing his paper published by afternoon edition of several Thai-language newspapers.

Pratya said he owns a foods shop in front of Seacon Square and that day he and his sister and a friend went to the shopping mall to see movie and walked past in front of a gold shop in the mall.

Police have released pictures of two men suspected of being the one to drop a bomb into a garbage bin in front of the gold shop.

Pratya told Kom Chad Luek that he was not a southern resident as claimed by police.

Pratya later called police to offer to prove his innocence. Pratya asked a Kom Chad Luek reporter to come along when police took him to questioning.

Source: The Nation - 23 March 2007

Find any southerner that can be identified in a picture and claim they are up to no good. Certain elements in thepolice it seem are still obsessed with proving it is a southerner whatever. No money for guessing what faction the investigating officer is linked too. It does make one wonder though if blaming southerners at this point may be considered the way to go by more than just one faction.

Like I said in post #72 it is beginning to look the police know who did it and it is internal to the police, and all they are doing now is looking for suitable scapegoats. I wonder if there will be any more reassignments in the police at mid levels?

I may be a bit premature in saying that but at first glance that is how it looks to me.

Like I said in post #72 it is beginning to look the police know who did it and it is internal to the police, and all they are doing now is looking for suitable scapegoats. I wonder if there will be any more reassignments in the police at mid levels?

I may be a bit premature in saying that but at first glance that is how it looks to me.

It could be possible.

But again, the easiest solution would be to look for the "southern factor". It's far away, and complicated. It would be perfect.

But here, it's totally different : they have pointed to... a guy who is selling noddles in front of the mall, where the bomb exploded...

I doubt that we could call that a "realistic scapegoat"... :o

So you could be right regarding the intent (to find and charge the first moron). As for the practical point of view : once again they have totally failed.

Even when they want to act dirty, they have to screw up if i may say.

Brain is obviously an endangered specie within the Thai Police.

Right from the start, this farce of a police "investigation" has been an intentional failure from within, the work of people still connected and faithful to the previous government. Thaksin immediately pointed the south after the bombings, that doesn't necessarily involve him directly, but then again if you use the usual 180 degree spin on everything he says, that would have him pointing to Bangkok.

Police photo pair face charges of terrorism

Two men who resemble two suspected bombers in police photographs were yesterday charged with five criminal offences, including terrorism, which is punishable by death.

They were charged shortly after a court rejected their attempt to have arrest warrants against them revoked.

Apart from terrorism, Pratya Preechavej and Yutthaphong Kittisriworraphan have been charged with attempted murder, endangering the public, criminally causing property damage and possessing explosives without permission.

The Bangkok South Criminal Court said that revoking the warrants prior to completion of the police's investigation would be a cross-agency professional interference and violate judicial regulations.

Chief Justice Suebphong Sriphongkul said the court would have ruled out the entire case

and violated both the police's and public prosecutors' professional credentials if it revoked the warrants at the request of the complainants.

"The court cannot presently hear both complainants' protest of innocence because it would be an interference into the police's and public prosecutors' work if it does so," he continued.

"The court's jurisdiction over the issue and prior procedures

and authorities mandated to the police and public prosecutors are currently still in different channels."

At press time last night, both Pratya, 38, and Yutthaphong, 36, were in police custody for questioning at Prawet police station, whose jurisdiction covers the Seacon Square shopping complex in Suan Luang district where a bomb attack took place on New Year's Eve. They have been offered bail of Bt200,000 each.

Maj-General Jate Mongkholhatthee, a senior investigator in the case, said the arrests and charges were not retaliatory acts by police in response to the men's complaint to the court. They were in line with the police's duty, supported by evidence against both men.

He said police investigators would face charges of negligence of duty if they failed to proceed further upon hearing the court's decision to drop the complaint.

Pratya said he respected the court's decision and did not blame anyone, including police officers. He still believed in the justice system as a whole, although he was feeling very bad and stressed out, while he still maintained his innocence.

Yutthaphong did not make any public statement.

Kesinee Taengkhiew

The Nation

Investigation officers withdraw the allegation of Seacon Square bomber

Investigation officers of bomb incidents at Seacon Square have withdrawn the case charged against Mr. Prachaya Preechawech (ปรัชญา ปรีชาเวช) and Mr. Yuthapong Kittisriwarapan's (ยุทธพงศ์ กิตติศรีวรพันธ์) due to inadequate evidences.

Deputy Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police and chief of the investigating team in charge of the New Year bomb case, Pol.Lt.Gen. Phatcharavat Wongsuwan (พัชรวาท วงศ์สุวรรณ) said a resolution has been made to pull out the case charging the two suspects.

As for the progress in hunting down bombers at Saphan Kwai Bridge (สะพานควาย) and Major Rachayothin (เมเจอร์ รัชโยธิน), Pol.Lt.Gen. Phatcharavat said most people have been giving good cooperation with authorities by providing information concerning the day of the explosion.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 April 2007

• 10 months later...
Police photo pair face charges of terrorism

Two men who resemble two suspected bombers in police photographs were yesterday charged with five criminal offences, including terrorism, which is punishable by death. They were charged shortly after a court rejected their attempt to have arrest warrants against them revoked.

Apart from terrorism, Pratya Preechavej and Yutthaphong Kittisriworraphan have been charged with attempted murder, endangering the public, criminally causing property damage and possessing explosives without permission.

The Bangkok South Criminal Court said that revoking the warrants prior to completion of the police's investigation would be a cross-agency professional interference and violate judicial regulations.

UPDATE...big mistakes can be costly

Bombing suspect sues police

A man wrongly accused over the 2006 New Year's Eve Bangkok bomb blasts yesterday sued the Royal Thai Police for 50 million baht as compensation, plus interest of 7.5 per cent per year until full payment is made.

Pratya Preechawet filed a civil lawsuit in the Phra Khanong Court yesterday that names the Royal Thai Police, National Police Chief General Seripisut Temiyavej and his Deputy, General Patcharawat Wongsuwan, as defendants. Patcharawat headed the investigation into the six blasts across Bangkok on December 31, 2006.

The court will announce on May 12 whether it will allow Pratya to file his case as a pauper's lawsuit.

The 34-year-old musician claims sloppy police work led to him and his friend, Yutthapong Kitisriworaphan, 36, being accused of planting the bomb found at the Seacon Square shopping mall, and that the issuing of a warrant for his arrest had tarnished his reputation, causing him to lose 10 business projects and be out of work for a year.

He said his two-year-old son could not go to a local kindergarten and so was sent to stay with relatives outside Bangkok, while he was still living with paranoia.

Pratya and Yutthapong reportedly closely resembled two suspects captured by the shopping mall's security cameras. On the basis of this, police issued warrants for their arrest on charges of terrorism, public endangerment and carrying explosives in a public place.

The duo requested the court to cancel the arrest warrants, claiming they were not the men in security footage, but the court decided to wait for the conclusion of the police investigation. Investigators finally decided not to prosecute Pratya or Yutthapong on any of the charges.

On January 7 this year, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) ruled that the police's actions had violated Pratya and Yutthapong's human rights and integrity.

It said Patcharawat's comment about insufficient evidence against the two men, along with their appeal to the court and actions after learning they were wanted, led it to believe they were innocent.

The NHRC also ruled that the police should compensate the men for the damage done to their reputations.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john