Former Thai PM Thaksin: "I'm Calling It Quits"

Jai Dee

I should congratulate you on being the first here to see on the that it makes Mr. T look like a dirty old man. From what I hear that is the way the Lydia-T issue is being discussed in Thai circles and it is not making him look good. A certain irony for the man whose government bought us the intensely popular social crusades and culture ministries to try and set an example of good Thainess now facing criticism for his own perceived or real profligate behviour by the very people who loved the soocial crusade stuff. Yes the dirty old man talk does seem quite active right now.

Sounds like some people are just chewing on sour grapes. He's flying around in his own private jets, staying in posh residences around the world, and dating cute thai superstars. Dirty old man or not he played the game like a champ and right now he's coming out on top literally and figuratively speaking. :o

Actually I was commenting on the fact that the Lydia stuff from the book was creating a lot of gossip negative to him at least on the streets around where I go.

Personally I couldnt care what he gets up to in his openly exposed private life. Personally though I wouldnt say that encouraging publicity to make it seem as though you have a lover young enough to be your own daughter is not something I would say is the behaviour of a champ especially when you have a long standing and loyal wife and kids of a similar age to both the young women frequently mentioned.

Reportedly in retaliation for release of this political book Chinese revoked his multiple entry one year visa.

I heard a rumor that the Chinese had done something like this too. Have you seen any confirmation?

I saw this reference in passing in an article in the Nation, but haven't seen anything 'formal'. However, it wouldn't surprise me, since most countries prefer, unless their interests are directly involved, to remain positively neutral in such circumstances.

One must say that whoever is advising Thaksin on publicity and pronouncements is breathtakingly unaware of the ramifications of these actions, especially in an Asian context. Could it be he is still being advised out of the US?

Regards

Sophon Ongkara, who is famous of slipping all sorts of gossip in his columns, mentioned it last Sunday.

"Another blow for Thaksin is that the Chinese authorities have decided to terminate his one-year multiple-entry visa. From now on, he cannot just fly in his private jet to have Peking duck in Beijing for lunch and fly on to have a pee at his mansion near Victoria Peak in Hong Kong and then have sumptuous dinner with his close friends back in Beijing without first seeking a new entry visa."

http://nationmultimedia.com/search/page.ne...amp;id=30043743

He never bothers with proof, but he has never been sued either.

The Chinese-language book entitled "Thaksin's 24 Hours After the Coup" has been translated into Thai. Thai Post Daily this morning ran excerpts of the book part of which qutoed Thaksin as saying:

"After the coup, I was like a man who had died twice. Most men die only once. I have died two times in my life. But the pain will make me stronger."

Two down - one to go.

"If I were to grade myself, I would give myself a "fail" grade in terms of political power management."

I am ashamed to have to admit it, but for once in my life at least, I have to agree with DL.

"In terms of efficiency in government management, I would give myself 8 points out of 10."

I think the voters said 14 out of 60 million.

"In terms of popularity with the people, I would give myself 8 out of 10."

Which is why they let the junta take over - with nary a protest.

Edited by Ricardo

Sophon Ongkara, who is famous of slipping all sorts of gossip in his columns, mentioned it last Sunday.

"Another blow for Thaksin is that the Chinese authorities have decided to terminate his one-year multiple-entry visa. From now on, he cannot just fly in his private jet to have Peking duck in Beijing for lunch and fly on to have a pee at his mansion near Victoria Peak in Hong Kong and then have sumptuous dinner with his close friends back in Beijing without first seeking a new entry visa."

The Thai PM was in China not too long ago meeting with his counterpart. I'll bet there was discussion of Thaksin holding political meetings over there on multiple occasions with his PTV zombies and ex-ministers , and, there went Mr. T.'s free movement in China.

Thaksin is fooled by his own illusions, he's not getting bigger, the world is getting smaller. :o

I should congratulate you on being the first here to see on the that it makes Mr. T look like a dirty old man. From what I hear that is the way the Lydia-T issue is being discussed in Thai circles and it is not making him look good. A certain irony for the man whose government bought us the intensely popular social crusades and culture ministries to try and set an example of good Thainess now facing criticism for his own perceived or real profligate behviour by the very people who loved the soocial crusade stuff. Yes the dirty old man talk does seem quite active right now.

Sounds like some people are just chewing on sour grapes. He's flying around in his own private jets, staying in posh residences around the world, and dating cute thai superstars. Dirty old man or not he played the game like a champ and right now he's coming out on top literally and figuratively speaking. :o

Actually I was commenting on the fact that the Lydia stuff from the book was creating a lot of gossip negative to him at least on the streets around where I go.

Personally I couldnt care what he gets up to in his openly exposed private life. Personally though I wouldnt say that encouraging publicity to make it seem as though you have a lover young enough to be your own daughter is not something I would say is the behaviour of a champ especially when you have a long standing and loyal wife and kids of a similar age to both the young women frequently mentioned.

Not any real stretch of reality to say "old enough to be his own grand-daughter"... all his own children are older than her.

also, it so often comes out in the regular reports a few days later... certainly someone with the inside track on a lot of information.

btw, love that "have a pee at his mansion" crack.... :o

Embattled journalist Sunisa tenders resignation to army

Embattled Lt Sunisa Lertpakawat has tendered her resignation to the army after coming under intense pressure for writing a book about former PM Thaksin Shinawatra. She will also have to testify to the ASC, which is investigating Thaksin and his family on a variety of charges, including graft and abuse of authority. A source close to Lt Sunisa said she has offered her resignation letter but Maj-Gen Veeran Chantasart-kosol, the army secretary who is Lt Sunisa's superior, has not approved it. Lt Sunisa is facing a disciplinary panel appointed by CNS chief Sonthi Boonyaratkalin for taking 21 days of unauthorised leave to interview Thaksin in London. The interviews with Thaksin provided material for her book, Thaksin, Where Are You?, launched last Wednesday. The Channel 5 reporter claimed she spent 200,000 baht out of her own pocket to finance the trip to London.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/08Aug2007_news04.php

Embattled journalist Sunisa tenders resignation to army

Embattled Lt Sunisa Lertpakawat has tendered her resignation to the army after coming under intense pressure for writing a book about former PM Thaksin Shinawatra. She will also have to testify to the ASC, which is investigating Thaksin and his family on a variety of charges, including graft and abuse of authority. A source close to Lt Sunisa said she has offered her resignation letter but Maj-Gen Veeran Chantasart-kosol, the army secretary who is Lt Sunisa's superior, has not approved it. Lt Sunisa is facing a disciplinary panel appointed by CNS chief Sonthi Boonyaratkalin for taking 21 days of unauthorised leave to interview Thaksin in London. The interviews with Thaksin provided material for her book, Thaksin, Where Are You?, launched last Wednesday. The Channel 5 reporter claimed she spent 200,000 baht out of her own pocket to finance the trip to London.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/08Aug2007_news04.php

Another Gem

marshbags

Sunisa's story doesn't hold water anymore, Thaksin is seen as being behind a book published in Thailand and containing fifteen pages of critisism of AEC and the junta and three pages of personal stuff.

Is he calling it quits or not?

Former TRT members get campaign tips from ex-PM

Former members of the defunct Thai Rak Thai Party yesterday made a pledge of allegiance to ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and watched a video clip on campaign strategy which was recorded by Thaksin in London.Published on August 8, 2007

In the 15-minute speech, Thaksin urged his former MPs to unite under the People Power Party banner.

He recommended that they base their campaign re-election bid by highlighting the achievements and economic policies of his former government.

He also said the campaign should focus on reconciliation and people's livelihoods rather

than confrontation with rival candidates.

Thaksin's former government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee said the disbanded party would carry on campaigning to defeat the draft charter and its activities would stay within the legal limits allowed by the referendum law.

He said that many newspapers, except Matichon and Post Today, had refused to publish his adverts opposing the charter and many billboard operators had also turned down contracts to display the message to vote "no".

The referendum outcome should represent the majority vote of more than 50 per cent, otherwise the result would be inconclusive, he said.

"If less than 50 per cent of voters cast ballots, then we

don't feel this is the charter for the entire population," Surapong said.

The remnants of the Thai Rak Thai party expect to meet at a convention of the People Power Party on August 18.

After that they will vote to elect a new leader, highly tipped to be political veteran Samak Sundaravej.

Kesinee Jaikawang,

The Nation

Former members of the defunct Thai Rak Thai Party yesterday made a pledge of allegiance to ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and watched a video clip on campaign strategy which was recorded by Thaksin in London. Published on August 8, 2007

In the 15-minute speech, Thaksin urged his former MPs to unite under the People Power Party banner.

He recommended that they base their campaign re-election bid by highlighting the achievements and economic policies of his former government.

He also said the campaign should focus on reconciliation and people's livelihoods rather

The Nation

Boy, when Thaksin 'quits politics' , he really doesn't quits politics. :o

And that is a major part of the continuing-problem.

This reminds me of the time he quit, as Prime Minister, and went off travelling the world for a month. When he returned, he said to reporters at the airport that he didn't understand why they were there to cover his return, as 'I am just unemployed'. And a month later he was chairing cabinet meetings again. Several months later he was claiming to be deposed, as the legal prime minister, when the junta took over.

You simply can't believe a single word that he says.

It is as simple, and unpalatable, as that.

There was some sort of a review in yesterday's Bangkok Post, it's where the stories of finding Thaksin and their first meeting came from.

I rememeber in one of the chapters the ration AIE/personal was fifteen pages to three.

Former members of the defunct Thai Rak Thai Party yesterday made a pledge of allegiance to ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and watched a video clip on campaign strategy which was recorded by Thaksin in London. Published on August 8, 2007

The Nation

Boy, when Thaksin 'quits politics' , he really doesn't quits politics. :o

And that is a major part of the continuing-problem.

This reminds me of the time he quit, as Prime Minister, and went off travelling the world for a month. When he returned, he said to reporters at the airport that he didn't understand why they were there to cover his return, as 'I am just unemployed'. And a month later he was chairing cabinet meetings again. Several months later he was claiming to be deposed, as the legal prime minister, when the junta took over.

You simply can't believe a single word that he says.

It is as simple, and unpalatable, as that.

I guess they have little choice but to obey master if the reports of them being cashed up with 30 million a man and woman are true. 30 million times a few hundred and you get the slaves to spout the achievements of Mr. Ts government. Dont expect to hear anything on extra-judicial massacres North, South, East or West. Dont expect to hear anything on the estimated 90% of cash, that the Daniel Ten Kate article mentions, that didnt make it anywhere near the poor households it was meant for. Dont expect to hear anything about the China FTA that leaves farners selling their produce at a loss. Dont expect to hear anything about CNX or any of the other corruption scandals. None of these things ever get addressed by the slaves, which kind of exposes their true role. Of course I live in hope that there may actually be an honourable man or woman or two left in the rump who may actually say well taking the cash is wrong, paying people to vote down the charter is wrong, turning a blind eye to the removal of due process fronm thousands was wrong, murder was wrong, all that corruption was wrong etc. Right now it is highly disturbing to see people blindly and unquestioningly follow the line of a single man. There is more questioning and criticism of the Junta by its supporters than there is of anything TRT by its own which is more like a faith based movement where belief is more important than truth. It is truly disturbing when one cannot look at ones own faults, admit them and strive to do better as well as accepting any punishemnt deserved for ones own actions. Now is not a time of accept responsibility for what you do in general but in the TRT project this is taken to extremes even by the modern standards.

Re: post # 438

The sheep you mention Hammered, how many of them actually have the leadership potential. They were in Que behind Thaksin, they were followers and not leaders. Thaksin did not like thinkers so I must truly question this group. I am sure some have potential (they would more than likely be the ones that abandoned ship early) and others not.

It is looking more and more like one by one they will take a hit with this Thaksin association.

I'm wating to see the junta's responce to this.

Latest polls show that "Party for the People" will win the elections ourtight. I don't think the junta will let them back so easily.

They might crack down on banned executives acting through proxies, jail Samak so that they lose a leader, or launch more corription investigations against ex TRT.

All legitimate reactions, btw, as well as your grievances, Hammered.

The referendum outcome should represent the majority vote of more than 50 per cent, otherwise the result would be inconclusive, he said.

"If less than 50 per cent of voters cast ballots, then we

don't feel this is the charter for the entire population," Surapong said.

Mmm, this coming from the same people who still proudly say they won an election (rigged and EC thrown in jail) with 14 million voters in a country of 60 million. :o

If it were up to me I would show some TV commercials that show the people that want the new charter shot down stuffing their pockets with money that was earmarked to help the Thai people. Not a whole lot of words, but images and perhaps in a small frame at the bottom the constitutional court reading it’s TRT dissolving verdict. I suspect that would be a bit hard to go up against.

If it were up to me I would show some TV commercials that show the people that want the new charter shot down stuffing their pockets with money that was earmarked to help the Thai people. Not a whole lot of words, but images and perhaps in a small frame at the bottom the constitutional court reading it’s TRT dissolving verdict. I suspect that would be a bit hard to go up against.

I think it is obvious that ridiculous posts like this, bordering close to derangement, have had the effect of driving many sensible people -of varying views -away from political discussion on this forum, or at least less frequent participation.

We have similar ads for various anti-drinking campaigns, JK is asking for anti-vote buying campaign.

Really? I got the impression he wanted to graphically demonstrate that only paid stooges would oppose this charter.

Author of "Thaksin: Where are you" not to resign from the Army

Besieged Army lieutenant Sunisa Lertpakawat has not yet resigned from office, but had talked about it with her commander, junta spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Wednesday.

Reports had suggested that Sunisa, author of "Thaksin, Where Are You?" had decided leave her post after she was subject to an investigation by the Army for taking unauthorised leave to write the book.

"Thaksin, Where Are You?" offers a glimpse into the daily life of the former prime minister, who is now living in exile in London.

Sunisa was said to have offered a resignation letter to MajGen Veeran Chantasartkosol, the Army secretary, who is Lt Sunisa's commander.

Sansern said he had checked reports and found that Sunisa had not yet handed in a resignation letter to Veeran. He said Sunisa has asked for a consultation with the Army secretary.

He said the Army had not pressed Sunisa to resign. "We are only focusing on the fact that Lt Sunisa travelled to London to interview Thaksin for her book without informing her superiors," he said.

- The Nation

Let him clarify it, then.

The intent was to show that the corrupt politicians don’t like the new constitution because it would drastically limit their ability to take the peoples money for themselves. Presenting it with images has a much more powerful message because the people viewing it have a variety of levels of education. Simply put, it cuts past needing an education to see what is right and wrong.

Ultimately the people will make the best choice for their personal situation. If they see that accepting 200 ThB for a no vote will cause them to lose much more because of corrupt people, they will make the right choice. The idea was to make sure they know who wants a no vote and why.

Let him clarify it, then.

The intent was to show that the corrupt politicians don’t like the new constitution because it would drastically limit their ability to take the peoples money for themselves. Presenting it with images has a much more powerful message because the people viewing it have a variety of levels of education. Simply put, it cuts past needing an education to see what is right and wrong.

Ultimately the people will make the best choice for their personal situation. If they see that accepting 200 ThB for a no vote will cause them to lose much more because of corrupt people, they will make the right choice. The idea was to make sure they know who wants a no vote and why.

Is he saying all or most or some politicians who oppose the new constitution are corrupt and all or most or some politicians who support it or not?

Thai Visa membership no doubt also has a variety of education levels.Does he propose to make his further messages in picture form?

Is he seriously suggesting that those with an education have a better understanding of what is right and wrong?