Former Thai PM Thaksin: "I'm Calling It Quits"

Jai Dee

According to the BBC- he said he also looks forward to coming back and playing golf with the generals who deposed him. Dispacable.

Whatever shred of respect I had for him is now gone. Does he not understand that those same generals have cost the citizens, many of whom voted for Thaksins proxy, a shitload of money- that they have paved the way for military oversight of elected governments- that they have established for future reference that military coups can be benign? (the most dangersous legacy of this one, IMO). And he wants to play GOLF with them? It was the people who were robbed. Yet HE forgives? Does he have no allegience to the citizens?

Until coups are deemed unforgiveable- it's just going to be more of the same.

It's a good ole boys club that plays at another level that we'll never comprehend. They have so much wealth and power in this country that it's easier just to win a "gentleman's" battle and count your money alongside your former rivals than it is to push for any kind of true reform. I wouldn't be surprised if the PPP gains enough prominence to match the old TRT party that they give Sonthi and the other junta cronies "golden parachute" retirement packages. That's how it's done..Thai politics is all about money and power trading. At least it's not bloody like South American politics or various other SE Asian countries.

Well you never know.. Thai newspapers have been distinctly funny since the coup..

But I'd imagine Thaksin would want to be involved in politics in one capacity or another.

Heck, about half the PEOPLE want Thaksin to be involved in politics in one capacity or another. If that doesn't matter in a country aspiring to democracy then I don't know what does.

The papers have been "funny" for decades with mistakes.

I think a country aspiring for democracy should put value in someone's honesty and sincerity..... something severely lacking with Thaksin's repeated statements.

I saw this morning on tv clearly him saying he is not going back to politics(yes that was real, not just words written on a paper which anyone of us can do). I did not see anything saying he will go back to politics. Wonder who is being dishonest?

BANGKOK, Thailand - Loyalists of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra captured 233 of 480 seats in the lower house of parliament to win Sunday's national election, the Election Commission said Tuesday in announcing the full results.

The rival Democrat Party was second with 165 seats, while the Chart Thai Party finished third with 37 in the country's first election since a 2006 coup.

The victorious People's Power Party is attempting to attract smaller parties to form a coalition government. Its win is a striking rebuke to the generals who ousted Thaksin, and signals that Thailand's political instability will likely continue.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) — Thailand's leading parties wooed possible partners for a coalition government on Monday, a day after allies of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra came out on top in the country's first election since he was ousted in a September 2006 military coup.

The pro-Thaksin People's Power Party won just under half the seats in the 480-member lower house of parliament, delivering a powerful message that the exiled prime minister's mostly rural supporters would be happy to see him return despite allegations he was corrupt and abused power.

Not so happy to see Thaksin return would be those who deposed him — the military, Bangkok's educated middle class, and the country's elite, including elements around the monarchy who felt threatened by his accumulation of power.

Speaking in Hong Kong, the self-exiled Thaksin said he will "explore options" for a return sometime between mid-February and April, but will not resume his political career after being ousted in a bloodless coup d'etat last year.

"I really want to go back as a normal citizen. Enough is enough for politics," said Thaksin at a press conference.

However, he said he would be willing to act as a political adviser to the People's Power Party if asked. "If they (the PPP's leaders) want my opinion and ideas, then I will give it to them," said Thaksin.

Thaksin was abroad at the time of his bloodless ouster, and has since lived in exile, mostly in London. He is legally barred from office, his Thai Rak Thai Party was dissolved by the courts, and he has been charged with a slew of corruption-related crimes.

Under an interim military-installed government that succeeded Thaksin, his foes changed the constitution to limit the influence of big parties and sought to demonize him as a corrupt destroyer of democracy. His return could undo their efforts and put their own positions in jeopardy.

Ahead of the vote, rumors even swirled that the military would stage a new coup if faced with the prospect of a Thaksin comeback, although the army commander vowed to abide by the election results.

What his foes failed to do, the election results showed, was win over Thaksin's followers in the rural north and poor northeast. Those supporters remained loyal in gratitude for the former leader's populist programs, including universal health care and generous village development funds implemented when he held office from 2001-2006.

"This is the people's decision. The military has to accept that people disagree with the coup," commented Prinya Thaewanaraemitkul, who teaches law at Bangkok's Thammasat University.

By capturing 233 House seats, according to the latest figures from the state Election Commission, the PPP — led by former Thai Rak Thai members — is in the best position to form a new governing coalition.

PPP Secretary-General Surapong Suebwonglee said Monday that his party had won the agreement of enough other smaller parties to form a stable majority coalition with 280-300 seats.

There would be "no problem in forming a government," he said at a news conference. The House is supposed to convene within one month of the election.

Surapong said he will reveal his would-be partners' names only after Jan. 3, when the Election Commission is expected to certify the voting results.

Even if the PPP has concluded a coalition deal, it could fall apart if enough of the party's candidates are disqualified for electoral violations such as vote-buying.

Because Thaksin has such influential enemies, however, his proxy party is being sharply challenged by the second-place Democrat Party, which won 165 seats but has the confidence of the political establishment.

Democrat Party Secretary-General Suthep Thueksuban said the PPP's claim that it has enough partners to form a coalition would only be credible if all the involved party leaders announce it publicly and jointly.

Building a working coalition is only the first challenge to restoring stability in Thailand after two years of polarizing politics, which began with street demonstrations in Bangkok demanding that Thaksin step down and continued after the coup failed to reconcile Thaksin's urban opponents with his rural supporters.

Virtually all parties have espoused policies modeled after Thaksin's populist programs and no party has suggested any fresh approach to solving the country's gravest crisis, a Muslim insurgency in the far south that has led to the loss of more than 2,600 lives in almost four years

Source http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071225/ap_on_...and_election_57

Edited by John K

Thaksin will focus on sports if he returns home

People Power Party's deputy secretary general Noppadon Pattama refused a report that ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will re-enter politics.

Thaksin who said he will consider returning home from February onwards will focus his attention on promoting sports.

The Nation

post-17597-1198574009_thumb.jpg

Just a guess as to what sports he may like. :o

Thaksin Says He'll Return to Thailand, Stay Out of Politics

Ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said he'll return to Thailand as early as February as a "normal citizen," and will stay out of politics, after his allies won the country's first election since last year's coup.

"I definitely will go back to Thailand," Thaksin said at a briefing in Hong Kong today. "I should not be the center of any new conflict, so I can assure you that I don't want to go back into politics."

The People Power Party, which campaigned under leader Samak Sundaravej on pledges to return Thaksin from exile and continue his policies, is seeking a coalition partner to form a government after winning the most seats in the Dec. 23 election. Thaksin was ousted in September 2006 after months of demonstrations in Bangkok by protesters who accused him of corruption. The former premier's return may cause uncertainty and delay economic growth.

It "is seen as a negative," said Kobsidthi Silpachai, head of capital markets research at Kasikornbank Pcl in Bangkok. "It rekindles the confrontation the two sides had before. It will raise uncertainties. People are going to be on edge."

Thaksin, in Hong Kong, called for national reconciliation and pledged to help Thailand as a "normal citizen."

"If I can come back as a normal citizen, I can do a lot for the people of the country without having a political office."

- Bloomberg

People Power Party's deputy secretary general Noppadon Pattama refused a report that ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will re-enter politics.

Thaksin who said he will consider returning home from February onwards will focus his attention on promoting sports.

The Nation

The Feb 14 ploy is such an obvious trick it beggars the mind that he thinks he can just jump on a plane and waltz back home with everyone laying carpets of roses as his feet and pretending that nothing happened ("just forget the past") and all the corruption charges will be dropped, while Mr T takes up his non-political portfolio as special advisor to the PPP on sports and "other matters". :D

And Blaze, you mean you had some respect for the guy before today's announcement?????!!!!!!!!!!

Guess it takes a while for some people to smell the roses and feel those thorns under the blushing bloom! :D

The Nation

The Feb 14 ploy is such an obvious trick it beggars the mind that he thinks he can just jump on a plane and waltz back home with everyone laying carpets of roses as his feet and pretending that nothing happened ("just forget the past") and all the corruption charges will be dropped, while Mr T takes up his non-political portfolio as special advisor to the PPP on sports and "other matters". :D

And Blaze, you mean you had some respect for the guy before today's announcement?????!!!!!!!!!!

Guess it takes a while for some people to smell the roses and feel those thorns under the blushing bloom! :D

Yes- a bit- not much- but I'm a bit curious- did you understand my post?

post-9005-1198563489.jpg

Thaksin addresses a press conference in Hong Kong on Tuesday.

Thaksin vows to return from exile

Thaksin says he will not resume his career in politics

HONG KONG -- Thailand's former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Tuesday he would return from exile early next year and face corruption charges, but would not resume his career in politics.

After the political party that backs him won nearly half the seats in Sunday's parliamentary elections, Thaksin told a news conference in Hong Kong that he hoped to return by February 14 -- St. Valentine's Day -- or April at the latest after Thailand's new government is in place.

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej said a new parliament controlled by the PPP would put in place an amnesty to allow Thaksin's return and amend the constitution to allow Thaksin to eventually return to politics.

Nevertheless, the Associated Press reported that Thaksin was adamant he would not return to politics.

"I am quitting politics, I am not going back to politics. I will not take any political position except when they want any ideas," the AP reported him as saying.

However he later indicated that he could change his mind if the situation in Thailand changed. "I have no wish to go back to politics until I feel safe, and then I will have to assess the situation," AP reported.

Samak is expected to be the next prime minister once he pulls together a coalition of parties that would give the PPP a majority of seats in parliament.

With 96 percent of the vote counted on Monday, Suthiphon Thaveechayagarn, the head of Thailand's election commission, said that the PPP was on pace to win 232 seats in the 480-seat chamber.

Samak moved quickly to establish a coalition, telling CNN in a phone interview that at least two other political parties had agreed to join the PPP. He declined to name the other parties involved.

Thaksin, speaking in Hong Kong, said he would not return to politics after his return to Thailand. He said that he and his family had "suffered enough" but that he wanted to face the charges against him and prove his innocence.

He congratulated the PPP for "bringing back democracy" to Thailand and said that December 23, the date of the elections, should be known as a "reconciliation day."

About 5,000 candidates from more than three dozen parties vied for the 480 seats in the parliament's lower house.

The Election Commission is expected to look into fraud and irregularities cases on Tuesday, and they promise to announce official result by January 3. The lower house must open within 30 days after the election day -- January 22.

- CNN

According to the BBC- he said he also looks forward to coming back and playing golf with the generals who deposed him. Dispacable.

Whatever shred of respect I had for him is now gone. Does he not understand that those same generals have cost the citizens, many of whom voted for Thaksins proxy, a shitload of money- that they have paved the way for military oversight of elected governments- that they have established for future reference that military coups can be benign? (the most dangersous legacy of this one, IMO). And he wants to play GOLF with them? It was the people who were robbed. Yet HE forgives? Does he have no allegience to the citizens?

Blaze it was always about a conflict in the ruling classes rather than anything to do with true politcal developmetn. Mind u i have drunk a shit load of alcohol today so please tell me if i am talking crap but to me Sonthi/Thaksin different sides of the same coin.

Anyway alway enjoy exchanging opinions with u blaze. Hope it continiues

post-9005-1198563489.jpg

Thaksin addresses a press conference in Hong Kong on Tuesday.

Thaksin vows to return from exile

Thaksin says he will not resume his career in politics

HONG KONG -- Thailand's former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Tuesday he would return from exile early next year and face corruption charges, but would not resume his career in politics.

After the political party that backs him won nearly half the seats in Sunday's parliamentary elections, Thaksin told a news conference in Hong Kong that he hoped to return by February 14 -- St. Valentine's Day -- or April at the latest after Thailand's new government is in place.

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej said a new parliament controlled by the PPP would put in place an amnesty to allow Thaksin's return and amend the constitution to allow Thaksin to eventually return to politics.

Nevertheless, the Associated Press reported that Thaksin was adamant he would not return to politics.

"I am quitting politics, I am not going back to politics. I will not take any political position except when they want any ideas," the AP reported him as saying.

However he later indicated that he could change his mind if the situation in Thailand changed. "I have no wish to go back to politics until I feel safe, and then I will have to assess the situation," AP reported.

Samak is expected to be the next prime minister once he pulls together a coalition of parties that would give the PPP a majority of seats in parliament.

With 96 percent of the vote counted on Monday, Suthiphon Thaveechayagarn, the head of Thailand's election commission, said that the PPP was on pace to win 232 seats in the 480-seat chamber.

Samak moved quickly to establish a coalition, telling CNN in a phone interview that at least two other political parties had agreed to join the PPP. He declined to name the other parties involved.

Thaksin, speaking in Hong Kong, said he would not return to politics after his return to Thailand. He said that he and his family had "suffered enough" but that he wanted to face the charges against him and prove his innocence.

He congratulated the PPP for "bringing back democracy" to Thailand and said that December 23, the date of the elections, should be known as a "reconciliation day."

About 5,000 candidates from more than three dozen parties vied for the 480 seats in the parliament's lower house.

The Election Commission is expected to look into fraud and irregularities cases on Tuesday, and they promise to announce official result by January 3. The lower house must open within 30 days after the election day -- January 22.

- CNN

Blaze it was always about a conflict in the ruling classes rather than anything to do with true politcal developmetn. Mind u i have drunk a shit load of alcohol today so please tell me if i am talking crap but to me Sonthi/Thaksin different sides of the same coin.

Anyway alway enjoy exchanging opinions with u blaze. Hope it continiues

Hammered you old sentimentalist- have a great Christmas- and maybe it's the likker- but first time I've seen you use paragraphs in AGES! A very merry Christmas to you and all the other regulars on this forum.

Edited by blaze

EX-PM'S RETURN

Thaksin warned to avoid politics

Business leaders fear more rifts after decision to come back soon

Political and business leaders warned former premier Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday against interfering with the political and judicial systems after he announced his plan to return to Thailand in the near future.

Speaking at a news conference in Hong Kong yesterday, Thaksin said he might return any time from February and would come back as a "normal citizen". He also repeated his earlier promise to keep out of politics.

However, he said he was willing to act as an adviser to the People Power Party, if asked.

Thaksin said while he wanted to return quickly, he would play it by ear and do so when the situation allowed.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said Thaksin should not interfere in the political or judicial systems.

Thaksin has the right to return to the country and face the judicial process as a citizen, he said.

However, his recent movements hint at the possibility of interference. In that case, he could spark rift and conflict, and nobody wants another coup, he added.

Parties considering a coalition position should keep this issue in mind, he cautioned.

Justice and morality should remain paramount, Abhisit said.

Federation of Thai Indus-tries chairman Santi Vilas-sakdanont said Thaksin was welcome back any time.

"If he comes here to pursue cases against him by the Assets Examination Commission, follows legal procedure and reports to the court and seeks bail, if he does that, people can accept that.

"But if he comes and tries to change the Constitution or to deal with the 111 banned politicians, it will create problems," he said on television news.

Santi said a Monday night meeting of federation members had expressed concern over a new government's policies.

"We said if the People Power formed the government, and it tried to change the Constitution, or invited Thaksin back, or interfered in the judicial system, it would face resistance. The situation will be fragile."

If it focused on accelerating social and economic policy, the public would accept the government, he said.

There are many things a new government can do within its first three to six months to improve economic performance, he added.

However, if a People Power government focused on these other issues, it would face public resistance.

Board of Trade chairman Pramon Sutivong echoed the sentiments. He said a People Power government should not intervene in legal processes or seek amnesty for banned politicians.

He said on Monday night that a new government should let the legal process run its course.

He conceded populist polices had some benefit, but added that a new government should learn from mistakes of the past in their implementation.

In Hong Kong, Thaksin

said yesterday he would "explore options" in February about a return but would not resume a career in politics, after being ousted in last year's coup.

"I really want to go back as a normal citizen. Enough is enough for politics," Thaksin claimed.

The former premier has not personally approached any parties seeking an alliance with a People Power coalition, his legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said yesterday.

He denied a Reuters report that Thaksin might resume politics after returning.

"Thaksin has no involvement and the People Power has made all contact with other parties," he said, dismissing speculation the party had sought assistance from the former prime minister.

He ruled out news reports Thaksin had assigned Matchima faction leader Somsak Thepsuthin and banned party executive Suriya Jungrungreangkit to broker a coalition deal.

He said Thaksin and wife Khunying Pojaman would definitely end their London exile and return to fight charges against them sometime between February and April.

"Thaksin intends to clear his name like any other citizen and will not interfere with judicial proceedings," Noppadon said.

His client is confident of acquittals on all charges laid against him in a "frame-up" to justify the coup, he added.

The Nation, Agencies

Thaksin short to do list.

Give Sonthi a big special private party.

Provide various government agencies with better ways to secure evidential documents.

(Note: Keep extra keys in case they lose their keys.)

Xanax for Samak.

Help my class 10 friends get the advancement opportunities they want.

Catch up with my friends in the police and see what is going on.

Special gift for Prem.

Help the banks get my missing money back.

More Xanax for Samak.

Edited by John K

Samak denies meeting Thaksin in Hong Kong

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej has disappeared from the public eye as suspense over who will form a coalition government with the PPP lingers. Samak only gave a brief phone interview, saying he spent most of Tuesday at home and did not leave since 4am as rumoured. He also denied claims that he had traveled to Hong Kong to hold talks with ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra. Meanwhile, Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva is still actively doing the rounds and thanking members of the public for voting for the Democrat Party.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=124694

Leaders of Various Sectors Warn Thaksin to Stay Out of Politics

After deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had announced to return to Thailand in February 2008, political and business leaders yesterday came out to warn him against interfering with politics and the country’s judicial systems.

Thaksin announced earlier yesterday at a press conference in Hong Kong that he will return to the country any time between February and April of next year. The exiled premier said he would return as a “normal citizen” and would stay out of politics, claiming that “enough is enough.”

However, he promised to offer advices for the people that need his assistance and was willing to serve as an adviser to the People Power Party (PPP), if invited.

Thaksin said he would return as soon as the time is right and the situation becomes most suitable.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva suggested that the exiled premier should not intervene in missions of the political and judicial systems.

Abhisit claimed that Thaksin is entitled to his right of returning to the country to stand trial against his allegations as a citizen. The Democrats leader added that Thaksin’s recent movement of giving press interviews abroad had indicated interference possibilities in the future. If that’s the case, the ongoing rifts and conflicts in the country would continue, said Abhisit.

He also called on political parties considering coalition positions to beware of such issues, since no ones in Thailand would be happy with another coup. Abhisit added that justice and morality should go hand in hand.

Business leaders such as Federation of Thai Industries chairman Santi Vilassakdanont said the deposed Prime Minister was welcomed to return the country any time.

He said the people would only accept Thaksin’s reasons to defend himself and his family against allegations posed by the Assets Examination Committee through legal procedures and testimonies before the courts.

But if his reasons to come back becomes otherwise such as attempting to change the interim Constitution or attaining amnesty for the 111 banned executives of the dissolved Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party, the people would probably revolt, explained Santi.

Speaking on a televised news program, Santi reported that a meeting of federation members Monday night had voiced great concerns over the policies of the new elected government.

He asserted that if the PPP gets to form a coalition government and tried to alter the Constitution or intervene with the judicial system to invite Thaksin back, the party would face severe opposition from the public.

Santi warned the party to focus on implementing its social and economic policies, in order for the next government to be well accepted by the people.

Sharing similar views with Santi, Board of Trade chairman Pramon Sutivong iterated that the PPP-led government should not interfere with the legal processes or tried to provide amnesty for the banned TRT executives.

Speaking on Monday night, Pramon said the new government should not meddle with the legal process and would be better off learning from past mistakes occurred during the Thaksin administration.

- Thailand Outlook

No differences at all, except that now, as the time nears for him to actually return to Thailand, all of a sudden, he's gone from:

The OP on Feb. 2nd:

I have no political ambitions. I am calling it quits.

to the opposite on Dec. 25th:

Thaksin to make political comeback

(BangkokPost.com) – Despite claims that he had “washed his hands clean of politics”, ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has done an abrupt U-turn and confirmed his political ambition through a press conference held in Hong Kong. “I want to make a political comeback,” he said.

which makes the 580+ posts of accusations to be truthful and the innuendo to be factual.

Edited by sriracha john

The Nation

Yes- a bit- not much- but I'm a bit curious- did you understand my post?

Errrmmm.........yes, at least I think so............you make it clear you're not a big fan of coups, no matter what the justification for them, and you still had an ounce of respect for Mr T until yesterday..........is my take in a sentence.

I on the other hand, have never had any respect for the man and think that the coup was justifiable under the extreme circumstances Thaksin had pushed the country to. That doesn't mean I'm an apologist for military govts or think the junta have handled the post-coup situation well at all, but it could have been a whole lot worse had Thaksin stayed on or a semblance of democracy had not been restored to the country by getting the judiciary sorted out a bit and some relatively decent people in the AEC. The future scenarios are still far from rosy, principally because Toxin the Great Divider won't take his banishment from politics lying down and his carnal greed for power is still as active as ever. Until he faces a fair and just court of law this problem is just going to fester on, but that looks ever more unlikely as the impasse drags on.

Wait a minute....are people saying that Toxin lied when he said he was done with politics because now he probably is going to get involved again? What a terribly disgusting and dispicable thing for him to do!!!! I mean it is almost beyond comprehension how a life long politician who has dedicated his governmental involvement towards being totally truthful in all actions and deeds would lie about such a crucial issue!!!! This is almost as bad as that Mr. Clinton in the US lieing about his affair with what's her name!!!!

I've totally changed my mind about him now because of this new revelation.....he is no longer my personal hero........oh my life is so empty...what to do......maybe I can put my faith in the military....they have never promised to quit politics!!!!!......

Chownah

Did anyone ever really believe Thaksin when he stated that he was done with politics?

Sorry not me.

I argued when Thaksin was overthrown in a coup that it was not necessarily a good thing as there seemed no viable alternative around.

The military have not handled things well and are universally unpopular.

They have not provided any real leadership and who knows what corruption has been going on during their tenure.

The recent vote is a democratic vote for the return of the Thaksin team make no mistake about that.

We can argue all we like about Thaksin but the people have spoken and voted his cronies back in and of course this is a green light for Thaksin to make a return.

You may not like Thaksin but where is the alternative?

The Thai people probably expect their pollies to be corrupt and obviously Thaksin had plenty of mud on him and yet still they support him.

Time to let Thailand handle its own problems and get on with it.

Thaksin has many faults but he is still the preferred leader of the country.

Lest many of us think our own democratic systems operate so wonderfully and are corruption free take a good hard look at what has gone on during George Bush's tenancy in the US and there is enough corruption there to make Thailand look like novices when it comes to cronyism, paternalism and the like.

Did anyone ever really believe Thaksin when he stated that he was done with politics?

Sorry not me.

I argued when Thaksin was overthrown in a coup that it was not necessarily a good thing as there seemed no viable alternative around.

The military have not handled things well and are universally unpopular.

They have not provided any real leadership and who knows what corruption has been going on during their tenure.

The recent vote is a democratic vote for the return of the Thaksin team make no mistake about that.

We can argue all we like about Thaksin but the people have spoken and voted his cronies back in and of course this is a green light for Thaksin to make a return.

You may not like Thaksin but where is the alternative?

The Thai people probably expect their pollies to be corrupt and obviously Thaksin had plenty of mud on him and yet still they support him.

Time to let Thailand handle its own problems and get on with it.

Thaksin has many faults but he is still the preferred leader of the country.

Lest many of us think our own democratic systems operate so wonderfully and are corruption free take a good hard look at what has gone on during George Bush's tenancy in the US and there is enough corruption there to make Thailand look like novices when it comes to cronyism, paternalism and the like.

Exactly..................under crony capitalism systems, there is a breakdown in good governance and democracy in several countries at present. The sensible way forward is not to shrug one's shoulders and say "mai pen rai, where is the alternative?", but rather to say "enough is enough, the present path is unsustainable and things have to radically change". If you think that more Thaksin is the only way forward for Thailand, then it is your lack of imagination of alternatives which are at fault, I would humbly posit. :o

If you think that more Thaksin is the only way forward for Thailand, then it is your lack of imagination of alternatives which are at fault

It takes more than just imagining an alternative for an alternative to appear. I suggest you take a look at what the alternatives really are....look at who is acitve politically and what factions they represent.....Toxin, old guard politicians, Abhisit (an alternative but still kept on a string by the old guard politicians....a real possibility for the future but he's not independent nor powerful enought to institute his policies yet....I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that his stated policies are more than just posturing), and the military. Those are your alternatives....maybe I've missed some....have I?

Chownah

If you think that more Thaksin is the only way forward for Thailand, then it is your lack of imagination of alternatives which are at fault

It takes more than just imagining an alternative for an alternative to appear. I suggest you take a look at what the alternatives really are....look at who is acitve politically and what factions they represent.....Toxin, old guard politicians, Abhisit (an alternative but still kept on a string by the old guard politicians....a real possibility for the future but he's not independent nor powerful enought to institute his policies yet....I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that his stated policies are more than just posturing), and the military. Those are your alternatives....maybe I've missed some....have I?

Chownah

Uhmm... military dictatorship that takes the nation back to its pre-1932 glory days? Oh- wait- you got that one- yet every time there is a significant disruption to the political status quo in Thailand- guess which one it has- and for years to come (as long as Thais are taught that coups are like natural disasters) will continue to be.

You can't have it both ways.

Either you want a democracy or not.

If you do want a democracy then you have to accept the fact that the Thaksin faction has the numbers and are the only legitimate power in Thailand.

It is up to the Thailand people to decide who they want and they have decided for the second time.

Those that don't want Thaksin in power need to organise themselves and try and get the numbers to win the next election.

Obviously for many Thais as bad as Thaksin may seem he is still the best available alternative.

Yes, but by all accounts Thaksin should be going to jail. So they voted for a jailbird? Weird. I agree they voted for Thaksin, not for PPP, but how can they really get Thaksin now? Will the real powers that be ever really allow that?

Edited by Jingthing

You can't have it both ways.

Either you want a democracy or not.

If you do want a democracy then you have to accept the fact that the Thaksin faction has the numbers and are the only legitimate power in Thailand.

It is up to the Thailand people to decide who they want and they have decided for the second time.

Those that don't want Thaksin in power need to organise themselves and try and get the numbers to win the next election.

Obviously for many Thais as bad as Thaksin may seem he is still the best available alternative.

I have to disagree to some extend, however in principal I agree with you 100%.

There is such strong indication of widespread vote buying I can’t see the people making their own choice. If the PPP was as good as they claim they would not need to spend a single baht on vote buying.

Although I agree the policies Thaksin implemented were good, you don’t need the original person to make them happen. China does it every day.

What I am saying is you can implement Thaksin’s good ideas without Thaksin. Finding someone with the right smarts is key. Certainly the tainted gene pool that seems to be the PPP is not a place to find such a person. As Thaksin can’t play for another 4.5 years essentially the Thais have elected a facade government.

Edited by John K

The facade gov't has already announced that they will give Toxin a pardon for all that he has been charged with.......this will allow him to re-enter politics at his convenience. If the PPP struggles a bit in the mean time then Toxin's re-entry into politics will be lauded as the return of the blessed one who will put all things right and in order........this is all fine and good but what really matters is the SUBSTANCE of what happens and not the STYLE.

Chownah

Chownah

Uhmm... military dictatorship that takes the nation back to its pre-1932 glory days? Oh- wait- you got that one- yet every time there is a significant disruption to the political status quo in Thailand- guess which one it has- and for years to come (as long as Thais are taught that coups are like natural disasters) will continue to be.

As to Abhisit - although enjoying an English education, it somehow failed to get into his head that a democrat should understand a little the rule of equality of people, right?

If he would have understood that, it wouldn't be so dam_n hard for him to win some hearts of the rural folks.

Another point is that Addi said (while in jail): I will step back of the NSDAP

To that Mr. Hess said: "Oh, but my leader, without you the party is death."

Addis response: "Uhh, yes , .................... well.

Although insane he was able to terrorize Europe.

just my 2 cents

Edited by Maxi101