Former Thai PM Thaksin: "I'm Calling It Quits"

Jai Dee

Well if there is a dispute about Thaksin being not truthful, then please provide us with a truthful statement (we only need one) from him in this thread, or any other thread for that matter.... we will wait... but not more than a year or so.

The point is he didn't only say it "fairly quickly after the coup".... he's been repeating it over and over for months and months since then as this thread amply documents... I simply chose one of the dozens of his quotes in this thread to point out that, once again, he's been lying all along.

As redewenur says above, a week is a long time in politics. Nothing new here about a politician changing his mind. Something as little as this will blow over quicker than a fart in Hurricane Teresa.

I agree with redewenur saying there's nothing new about a politician like Thaksin lying... that certainly seems a more appropriate description here than changing his mind, which the mountain of evidence indicates was not the case here.

Sorry if he's being "hounded", but that's not all that uncommon for people with outstanding arrest warrants.

I wasn't saying they should stop. All i am saying is they just might end up making a rod for their own backs.

I don't know if it's reported on here but Gen Sonthi has reportedly registered three marriages. And it was made public yesterday the coup leader and his two wives had assets totalling 95 million baht. Now how on earth does a General get that kind of money :o

Sounds worthy of a separate thread... I look forward to reading it.

Also, News headlines today in Bangkok post "Thaksin the angel" here:- http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=123996 Looks like Frank is gathering alot of friends.

Sounds more appropriate for the Manchester City thread... :D

Edited by sriracha john

The point being that he's been lying all along since this thread started.

How many news reports attesting to his "quitting" politics are there in this thread that are in direct conflict with his actions?

So what, he only said at that particular time, in an interview fairly quickly after the coup, that he can now retire and have time for himself and his family. He's changed his mind, big deal. If the junta stopped hounding him (i'm neither saying rightly or wrongly BTW), he might have kept retired. But now he probably see he has little choice.

The only thing the man has never changed his mind over is lying openly even though the media records it all.

Edited by Tony Clifton

I wasn't saying they should stop. All i am saying is they just might end up making a rod for their own backs.

I don't know if it's reported on here but Gen Sonthi has reportedly registered three marriages. And it was made public yesterday the coup leader and his two wives had assets totalling 95 million baht. Now how on earth does a General get that kind of money :D

Also, News headlines today in Bangkok post "Thaksin the angel" here:- http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=123996 Looks like Frank is gathering alot of friends.

Sounds more appropriate for the Manchester City thread... :D

You miss my point. I'm not associating it with Man City (well i have in another thread :D ) in this context i am associating it with him gathering allies, not only politically but the public. Hence Junta may stab themselves in the back.

P.S. Bugger your posts are hard to reply to when you put answers in red. Get confused with all the quote brackets :o:D

Well if there is a dispute about Thaksin being not truthful, then please provide us with a truthful statement (we only need one) from him in this thread, or any other thread for that matter.... we will wait... but not more than a year or so.

Not saying that John. Just don't see the need for big news about it. ALL Politicians "bend" the truth :o I'm not saying he hasn't told HUGE whoppers in the past about other subject but in the context of this topic about him calling it quits, so what, he's reversed his decision.

Last night i said i definately WASN'T go to the pub but i changed my mind. People can you know, that's different than lying.

I don't know if it's reported on here but Gen Sonthi has reportedly registered three marriages. And it was made public yesterday the coup leader and his two wives had assets totalling 95 million baht. Now how on earth does a General get that kind of money :D

Here you go :- http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/28Nov2007_news02.php

Don't know if it's worth a thread of it's own. I usually leave "News worthy" :o threads to others. :D

Edit:- fixing quotes !! :D

Edited by mrbojangles

I don't know if it's reported on here but Gen Sonthi has reportedly registered three marriages. And it was made public yesterday the coup leader and his two wives had assets totalling 95 million baht. Now how on earth does a General get that kind of money

Sounds more appropriate for the Manchester City thread...

You miss my point. I'm not associating it with Man City (well i have in another thread :D ) in this context i am associating it with him gathering allies, not only politically but the public. Hence Junta may stab themselves in the back.

The government didn't hound him into buying Man City; it's all been a part of his own, admittedly well-orchestrated, publicity stunt to keep his name in the news. Granted, in this case, it is a new trait for Thaksin to be this charitable, even if its for his own publicity. Previously, he'd use government funds for such purposes. When he was ruling for six years, how many charitable acts did he perform with his own billions?

P.S. Bugger your posts are hard to reply to when you put answers in red. Get confused with all the quote brackets :D:bah:

:bah: It has taken me some time to get used to mastering it .... but hopefully using "Man City Blue" above and below will help... :D

I don't know if it's reported on here but Gen Sonthi has reportedly registered three marriages. And it was made public yesterday the coup leader and his two wives had assets totalling 95 million baht. Now how on earth does a General get that kind of money

Here you go :- http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/28Nov2007_news02.php

Don't know if it's worth a thread of it's own. I usually leave "News worthy" :o threads to others. :o

perhaps chanchao will go for it... :D

Edit:- fixing quotes !! ;)

:D Keep at it... practice is how I learned. Mixing quotes inside quoting 2 posts is the real challenge.

Not saying that John. Just don't see the need for big news about it. ALL Politicians "bend" the truth :o I'm not saying he hasn't told HUGE whoppers in the past about other subject but in the context of this topic about him calling it quits, so what, he's reversed his decision.

Last night i said i definately WASN'T go to the pub but i changed my mind. People can you know, that's different than lying.

I understand your point and I am sure that happens to all of us at one point or another. However with Thaksin most commonly he is saying one thing and at exactly the same time he is actively doing the opposite. If you go back and look carefully you can pick out the time frames.

The remainder of the times it appears he has not actively started a said task and wants to deceive using disinformation. There is some greyness here as he appears to give disinformation to some people that help him.

Thaksin truly thinks everyone is stupid and he ties that to a persons personal wealth. Some of his most insulting statements are spoken from the heart. Thaksin truly feels that everyone should be able to keep up with him for wealth and if you can’t you must be stupid. You won’t hear him put down people who are wealthier than him. He also sees people who help him gather more wealth as friends and the smarter (wealthier) they are the bigger piece of the pie they get as a reward for being smart.

Thaksin also sees laws as challenges that must be neutralized one way or another. To him there is no difference between a typical problem a business man may encounter or a law, they are both treated the same way. That is why he has such aggression towards the new constitution, it was basically tailored to stop him and other like him who may follow. You can easily spot that in some of the things coming from the PPP.

The only thing you can be certain of is whatever Thaksin says, it is some how tied to making him richer and more powerful and disinformation is a big part of that plan.

If Thaksin ever gets back in power you will witness a real life Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde transformation, of that I am 100% certain. The friendly helping caring owner of Manchester wanting to help the Thais, this is all based on Thais taking the bait to make him popular and a stepping stone back to power and being Mr. Hyde.

MrBojangles, to change his mind Thaksin needs to really mean it when he says he quit, mean it at least once.

The problem is not changing his mind, the point is in shamelessly lying about quitting for a year and a half by now. He declared that about a hundred times by now.

What would be difficult to find is a quote either from him or his spokesperson, Noppadol, admitting that he is politically active.

>>>

When people argue that the coup wasn't neccessary they say that elections were scheduled and Thaksin promised to stay out. You see the value of his promise yourself. If he's not lying, he can always "change his mind". The generals stayed true to their pledge to rewrite a constution and restore democracy, btw. None this "I changed my mind" nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...

THAKSIN PLEA

It's a ploy to return to power

Academics see ousted premier's gesture as 'playing a game'

Academics and a democracy activist yesterday dismissed the proposal for a national unity government by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra as a ploy to return to power.

Jaras Suwanmala, dean of Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Political Science, questioned Thaksin's sincerity and said "in reality, he is playing a game".

"While he is trying to appear as a man of compromise and seeking reconciliation, he is instigating his supporters in the northern and northeastern provinces to rise up to fight for him by supporting the People Power Party," Jaras said.

Sombat Thamrongthan-yawong, rector of the National Institute of Development Administration, said Thaksin had made the proposal be-cause he was not certain whether the PPP would win enough House seats to form a one-party government.

"He fears that other parties would not join the PPP-led coalition and that's why he made the offer of a national unity government," Sombat said.

Suriyasai Katasila, secretary-general of the Campaign for Popular Democracy, said Thaksin was simply trying to take advantage of His Majes-ty's call for national unity by making the proposal and projecting his new political image.

"He made the proposal to reduce the obstacles on the path of his return to power," Suriyasai said.

He said Thaksin was still instigating his supporters to fight for him, so he did

not really support reconciliation.

Also yesterday, PPP leader Samak Sundaravej admitted that it was difficult to form a government of national unity.

"It's hard to be implemented. The country must be in a crisis first before such a government can be formed without any opposition," Samak said.

He said a reconciliation could be reached through charter amendments to allow the former 111 Thai Rak Thai executives to return to politics.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyarat-glin declined to comment on Thaksin's proposal.

He said the next government would depend on the outcome of the election.

The Nation

Feel free to copy this into any number of Thaksin quitting threads. :o

THAKSIN PLEA

It's a ploy to return to power

Academics see ousted premier's gesture as 'playing a game'

Academics and a democracy activist yesterday dismissed the proposal for a national unity government by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra as a ploy to return to power.

Jaras Suwanmala, dean of Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Political Science, questioned Thaksin's sincerity and said "in reality, he is playing a game".

"While he is trying to appear as a man of compromise and seeking reconciliation, he is instigating his supporters in the northern and northeastern provinces to rise up to fight for him by supporting the People Power Party," Jaras said.

Sombat Thamrongthan-yawong, rector of the National Institute of Development Administration, said Thaksin had made the proposal be-cause he was not certain whether the PPP would win enough House seats to form a one-party government.

"He fears that other parties would not join the PPP-led coalition and that's why he made the offer of a national unity government," Sombat said.

Suriyasai Katasila, secretary-general of the Campaign for Popular Democracy, said Thaksin was simply trying to take advantage of His Majes-ty's call for national unity by making the proposal and projecting his new political image.

"He made the proposal to reduce the obstacles on the path of his return to power," Suriyasai said.

He said Thaksin was still instigating his supporters to fight for him, so he did

not really support reconciliation.

Also yesterday, PPP leader Samak Sundaravej admitted that it was difficult to form a government of national unity.

"It's hard to be implemented. The country must be in a crisis first before such a government can be formed without any opposition," Samak said.

He said a reconciliation could be reached through charter amendments to allow the former 111 Thai Rak Thai executives to return to politics.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Sonthi Boonyarat-glin declined to comment on Thaksin's proposal.

The Nation

Feel free to copy this into any number of Thaksin quitting threads. :o

Interesting considering both Chart Thai and Peau Pandin oppose this it is nothing to do with national reconcilaition but to do with PPP agendas, and is a really pathetic statement linked to a vague threat of nothing will be th esame if.....

It seems likely that PPP will actually have no coalition allies short of dumping billions of baht and will be in opposition meaning another huge loss of cash. Even worse will be if they are disbanded an even bigger losss of investment. Th eswings and roundabouts of this election are amazing.

thaksin_interview.jpg

Since he was toppled from power last September, Thaksin Shinawatra has been crisscrossing the globe. TIME's Southeast Asia Bureau Chief Hannah Beech caught up with Thailand's former Prime Minister on Jan. 25 in Tokyo, where they spoke about the military coup against him, the new regime in Bangkok, and what he intends to do with his life.

Read the interview here.

AHHH HUUUUUUU!! He keeps coming back like a bad skin rash! :o

thaksin_interview.jpg

Since he was toppled from power last September, Thaksin Shinawatra has been crisscrossing the globe. TIME's Southeast Asia Bureau Chief Hannah Beech caught up with Thailand's former Prime Minister on Jan. 25 in Tokyo, where they spoke about the military coup against him, the new regime in Bangkok, and what he intends to do with his life.

Read the interview here.

AHHH HUUUUUUU!! He keeps coming back like a bad skin rash! :o

Is that a polite way of saying, "He's as difficult to eradicate as a combined case of Bangkok Rose, genital warts and violent herpes"? :D

2007_12_09t003549_450x287_us_thaila.jpg

r1787404278.jpg

ra1966913910.jpg

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra gestures during an interview with Reuters in Hong Kong. Shinawatra said Thailand should install a national unity government to rule for two years after this month's elections and then hold another poll under a new constitution.

REUTERS

Academics Condemn Exiled Premier for Devising Scheme to Return to Power

Academics and a democratic activist on Sunday condemned deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for devising a scheme to return to power by publicly urging political parties to set up a national unity government after the December 23rd general election.

Late last week, the exiled premier gave an interview to reporters of a foreign news agency in Hong Kong, indicating that he had no intension to serve as Thailand’s Prime Minister in the future, as he also urged political parties to establish a national unity government after the general election.

As a result of his comments, numerous academics and democratic activists came out complaining that the deposed Prime Minister is playing a political game.

Dean of Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Political Science, Jaras Suwanmala yesterday questioned the sincerity of Thaksin, confirming that his suggestion was a ploy to return to power.

Jaras claimed that Thaksin simultaneously played two different roles in politics, where he tried to act as a middleman to seek reconciliation within the country, while at the same time, had encouraged his supporters in the former Thai Rak Thai Party’s strongholds, especially in the northern and northeastern provinces to fight for him in unison by continuing to give their supports for the People Power Party (PPP).

Meanwhile, Sombat Thamronthanyawong, rector of the National Institute of Development Administration, iterated that the exiled premier had made the suggestion to foreign news reporters because he was not sure whether the PPP would attain sufficient House seats in the upcoming poll to form a one-party government.

Sombat said Thaksin was afraid that other political parties would not joint the PPP-led coalition if it should be selected to lead the government with the most House seats, claiming that was the reason why Thaksin offered setting a national unity government.

On a related development, Secretary-General of the Campaign for Popular Democracy, Suriyasai Katasila argued that the deposed Prime Minister was attempting to take advantage of His Majesty’s recent call for national unity by announcing such proposal to the international community and trying to establish a new political image for himself.

Suriyasai said Thaksin had encouraged his supporters to fight for him so that he and his cronies could return to power, indicating that he did not have any intention to uphold national unity as stated.

- Thailand Outlook

Edited by sriracha john

The Nation

Now that's what I call an incisive political thinker ! :o

Thaksin's 'national unity' plan bitterly ironic

The idea of a national unity government after the December 23 election as proposed by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in an interview in Hong Kong over the weekend didn't come out of the blue.

But that Thaksin trumpeted the idea as if it were the only way out of the anticipated post-election political deadlock is indeed ironic.

It was veteran political chameleon General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh who first floated the idea a few weeks ago as he jumped back into the political arena offering his services as an "interlocutor" to bridge the widening political divide. Chavalit's political agenda is at best unclear but it wouldn't surprise anyone if it turns out that he is fronting for the former prime minister.

The political antagonism that has split both the political establishment and society at large is casting a dark shadow over the upcoming election. It is dampening hopes that the election will put Thailand back on a steady course toward democracy. Instead, what most political pundits see is the potential for an even greater political confrontation, regardless of who wins.

There is no denying the country has become so polarised that political reconciliation in the near future is out of the question. The ongoing election campaign that is pitting the two major political camps against one another speaks volumes about Thailand's political future.

Like it or not, Thaksin is probably the one man who holds the key to political rapprochement. With the kind of political clout and wealth he has, Thaksin in fact has, more than anyone else, influenced the course of Thai politics even while living in exile for the past 14 months. Almost everything that has emerged on the Thai political landscape since the coup last September has largely been dictated by the former prime minister or was done in response to his manoeuvring. Even some of the provisions in the newly introduced Constitution are said to have been designed out of fears of the "Thaksin ghost".

The People Power Party (PPP), which is nominally headed by political veteran Samak Sundaravej, is seen as nothing more than a vehicle to bring Thaksin back to power - or at least to ensure his political relevancy while he bides his time in exile. Thaksin dropped all pretence of being a mere bystander when he openly called on his supporters to vote for the newly formed party in a video clip, copies of which have been widely circulated among northeastern constituencies.

Thaksin said that only a poll victory by the PPP would bring economic prosperity, political justice and democracy back to Thailand. And more importantly, only a government headed by the party would ensure that he could return home. There is not the slightest sign of remorse in the short video clip despite all the charges of corruption and abuse of power levelled against him and the polarising effect his five-year rule had on politics. It's the same old angry and vengeful Thaksin talking.

And one thing about Thaksin that obviously hasn't changed is his tendency to contradict himself. In the video clip he leaves no doubt that he is counting the days until he can return to the country to reclaim what he believes to be his rightful place. And yet in the Reuters interview, the former prime minister tried to play down fears he may want to return to power.

While he talks about reconciliation, every one of his messages from London has been full of bitterness and hatred. And while he implores everyone to make an effort to bring about political harmony after the election, he continues to pull the strings behind those in the PPP who have been raising the political temperature with their open hostility.

It's both ironic and ridiculous that Thaksin should be calling for a national unity government while doing everything possible to make sure the social and political discord that threatens the country's political future continues to be stoked. Thaksin proposed that such a government should be in power for no more than two years, during which its primary task would be to amend the constitution and prepare the country for a return to political normalcy.

Thaksin would probably have everything to gain if the national unity government that he is advocating did materialise. His well-funded PPP would be ensured a prominent role in the proposed coalition, paving the way for early political redemption for Thaksin and all of the other former Thai Rak Thai executives who have been slapped with a five-year political ban. The political interval should also provide Thaksin with breathing space and allow him to lay the groundwork for his eventual return to power.

So Thaksin's idea about a national unity government is nothing more than political expediency designed to reinforce his political influence. If Thaksin is sincere about seeking political reconciliation, all he needs to do is to stop all his political manoeuvring. But it's obvious that it's not reconciliation or political peace he is after. Thaksin just wants to demonstrate that even from thousands of miles away he is still a force to reckon with.

- Thepchai Yong, Editor, Opinion Page, The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

• 2 weeks later...

Now into his year and half long pledge to "quit politics".... some minor revisions...

Ousted Thai PM to 'explore' options for return to country

Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Tuesday he will "explore options" in February about a return to Thailand but will not resume his career in politics after being ousted in a bloodless coup d'etat last year.

"I really want to go back as a normal citizen. Enough is enough for politics," said Thaksin at a press conference in Hong Kong.

However, he said he would be willing to act as a political adviser to the People's Power Party - made up of his supporters and political allies - if asked.

- Associated Press

"I return from Feb onwards as normal citizen" Thaksin

Ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said he may return to Thailand "from February onwards" and will go back as a "normal citizen."

He repeated his earlier promise that he would stay out of politics.

However he said he is willing to However, he said he would be willing to act as a political adviser to the People's Power Party -if asked.

Speaking at a press conference in Hong Kong on Tuesday, Thaksin said while he wants to return quickly, he'll play it by ear and return when the situation allows.

Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Tuesday he will "explore options" in February about a return to Thailand but will not resume his career in politics after being ousted in a bloodless coup d'etat last year.

"I really want to go back as a normal citizen. Enough is enough for politics," Thaksin claimed.

- The Nation

Well you never know.. Thai newspapers have been distinctly funny since the coup..

But I'd imagine Thaksin would want to be involved in politics in one capacity or another.

Heck, about half the PEOPLE want Thaksin to be involved in politics in one capacity or another. If that doesn't matter in a country aspiring to democracy then I don't know what does.

(And a handshake goes out to Tony... Enjoyed reading your comic book collage (serious!) )

URGENT: He did NOT say he wants to make a 'political comeback'.

It's yet another BKK Post goof up, and perhaps their most severe and embarassing one yet. (which is saying something)

Here's the link: http://bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=124685

Note that the grammar is off, here:

Speaking at a press conference in Hong Kong, Thaksin said he would return to Thailand sometime between February and April, saying he wanted to return to politics but live as "a normal citizen."

(emphasis is mine)

The grammar doesn't make sense. My guess is that they simply forget a 'did not' before 'wanted to return to policits..'.............

How can a newspaper make a mistake like that at times like this?? Can someone comment? I'm not a native English speaker but I think the grammar is off, possibly altering meaning of the article 360 degrees.

*** I actually think someone should call them to correct it. *** Who knows where this goes. :o Possibly some people here have contacts at the Post?

Edited by HobbsTheFerociousTiger

Thanks for those links!! As I said overthere, Thaksin himself could have been clearer also.. Even calling a press conference in the first place is pushing it a little. He should have just gone fishing or something so there'd be video of him actively showing to be not involbed in politicis.. Press conference == involved. :D Maybe his PR guy had Christmas Day off. :o

Note the original story has been pulled and edited, the same page link now is titled 'Thaksin vows to fight corruption charges'. This element now appears

Asked if he plans to make a political comeback, Mr Thaksin stated that his main priority would be to prove his innocence.

"Enough is enough with politics," he said. "I want to prove my innocence and fight charges of corruption against me."

Questioned about his possible role as a PPP adviser, Mr Thaksin said that he would be happy to help out if the PPP needed his advice.

Regards

Well you never know.. Thai newspapers have been distinctly funny since the coup..

But I'd imagine Thaksin would want to be involved in politics in one capacity or another.

Heck, about half the PEOPLE want Thaksin to be involved in politics in one capacity or another. If that doesn't matter in a country aspiring to democracy then I don't know what does.

The papers have been "funny" for decades with mistakes.

I think a country aspiring for democracy should put value in someone's honesty and sincerity..... something severely lacking with Thaksin's repeated statements.

post-9005-1198563489.jpg

Thaksin addresses a press conference in Hong Kong on Tuesday.

Thaksin vows to return from exile

Thaksin says he will not resume his career in politics

HONG KONG -- Thailand's former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Tuesday he would return from exile early next year and face corruption charges, but would not resume his career in politics.

After the political party that backs him won nearly half the seats in Sunday's parliamentary elections, Thaksin told a news conference in Hong Kong that he hoped to return by February 14 -- St. Valentine's Day -- or April at the latest after Thailand's new government is in place.

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej said a new parliament controlled by the PPP would put in place an amnesty to allow Thaksin's return and amend the constitution to allow Thaksin to eventually return to politics.

Nevertheless, the Associated Press reported that Thaksin was adamant he would not return to politics.

"I am quitting politics, I am not going back to politics. I will not take any political position except when they want any ideas," the AP reported him as saying.

However he later indicated that he could change his mind if the situation in Thailand changed. "I have no wish to go back to politics until I feel safe, and then I will have to assess the situation," AP reported.

Samak is expected to be the next prime minister once he pulls together a coalition of parties that would give the PPP a majority of seats in parliament.

With 96 percent of the vote counted on Monday, Suthiphon Thaveechayagarn, the head of Thailand's election commission, said that the PPP was on pace to win 232 seats in the 480-seat chamber.

Samak moved quickly to establish a coalition, telling CNN in a phone interview that at least two other political parties had agreed to join the PPP. He declined to name the other parties involved.

Thaksin, speaking in Hong Kong, said he would not return to politics after his return to Thailand. He said that he and his family had "suffered enough" but that he wanted to face the charges against him and prove his innocence.

He congratulated the PPP for "bringing back democracy" to Thailand and said that December 23, the date of the elections, should be known as a "reconciliation day."

About 5,000 candidates from more than three dozen parties vied for the 480 seats in the parliament's lower house.

The Election Commission is expected to look into fraud and irregularities cases on Tuesday, and they promise to announce official result by January 3. The lower house must open within 30 days after the election day -- January 22.

- CNN

post-9005-1198563489.jpg

Thaksin addresses a press conference in Hong Kong on Tuesday.

Thaksin vows to return from exile

Thaksin says he will not resume his career in politics

HONG KONG -- Thailand's former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Tuesday he would return from exile early next year and face corruption charges, but would not resume his career in politics.

After the political party that backs him won nearly half the seats in Sunday's parliamentary elections, Thaksin told a news conference in Hong Kong that he hoped to return by February 14 -- St. Valentine's Day -- or April at the latest after Thailand's new government is in place.

People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej said a new parliament controlled by the PPP would put in place an amnesty to allow Thaksin's return and amend the constitution to allow Thaksin to eventually return to politics.

Nevertheless, the Associated Press reported that Thaksin was adamant he would not return to politics.

"I am quitting politics, I am not going back to politics. I will not take any political position except when they want any ideas," the AP reported him as saying.

However he later indicated that he could change his mind if the situation in Thailand changed. "I have no wish to go back to politics until I feel safe, and then I will have to assess the situation," AP reported.

Samak is expected to be the next prime minister once he pulls together a coalition of parties that would give the PPP a majority of seats in parliament.

With 96 percent of the vote counted on Monday, Suthiphon Thaveechayagarn, the head of Thailand's election commission, said that the PPP was on pace to win 232 seats in the 480-seat chamber.

Samak moved quickly to establish a coalition, telling CNN in a phone interview that at least two other political parties had agreed to join the PPP. He declined to name the other parties involved.

Thaksin, speaking in Hong Kong, said he would not return to politics after his return to Thailand. He said that he and his family had "suffered enough" but that he wanted to face the charges against him and prove his innocence.

He congratulated the PPP for "bringing back democracy" to Thailand and said that December 23, the date of the elections, should be known as a "reconciliation day."

About 5,000 candidates from more than three dozen parties vied for the 480 seats in the parliament's lower house.

The Election Commission is expected to look into fraud and irregularities cases on Tuesday, and they promise to announce official result by January 3. The lower house must open within 30 days after the election day -- January 22.

- CNN

According to the BBC- he said he also looks forward to coming back and playing golf with the generals who deposed him. Dispacable.

Whatever shred of respect I had for him is now gone. Does he not understand that those same generals have cost the citizens, many of whom voted for Thaksins proxy, a shitload of money- that they have paved the way for military oversight of elected governments- that they have established for future reference that military coups can be benign? (the most dangersous legacy of this one, IMO). And he wants to play GOLF with them? It was the people who were robbed. Yet HE forgives? Does he have no allegience to the citizens?

Until coups are deemed unforgiveable- it's just going to be more of the same.

Edited by blaze