Former Thai PM Thaksin: "I'm Calling It Quits"

Jai Dee

I recall finding contemporaneously that he did see Blair for @ 15 minutes for a cup of coffee, but I don't think he met with Bush.

Regards

I am not so sure about that... the last half dozen posts or so clearly suggest Thaksin did meet with bush. :o

Washington Post Staff Writer

Saturday, December 25, 2004; Page A15

Thaksin, for his part, earlier this month called Bush a "good friend," noting that "we're both Texas cowboys."

Was Brokeback Mountain available on DVD back then? :D

gallery_16522_431_48230.jpg

Eye Candy....

A5797245-35.jpg

=====================================================================

Lovers?...

22-08-07-14-47-09.jpg

私の恋人および彼の息子 [My lover and his son]...

A5791908-0.jpg

Lydia: Here I Am...

1-4.gif

Potjaman: He's My Husband!...

550000010358901.jpg

Pop singer's book on Thaksin exile says he's like 'father' to her

BANGKOK: Now on bookshelves here: "Lydia . . . Here I Am!"

To the delight of the Thai public, a second young woman, known as Lydia, has come forward with a tell-less-than-all book about former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

This time, the author is a pop singer who wants the world to know that Thaksin is just like a father to her - nothing more.

Her title is a play on that of a chatty little book that was published a month ago about Thaksin's self-exile in London - as family man, shopper and bicycle rider - called "Thaksin: Where Are You?"

It was in that first book that readers learned of his relationship with 20-year-old Lydia, whose given name is Saanrat Wisutthithadato, as his partner in golf, karaoke and shopping trips.

"I'm not Thaksin's gig, 200 percent," the singer said at a book launch on Saturday, denying gossip about a closer relationship. She said she calls him "father" and calls his wife, Pojaman, "mother."

On the morning after Thaksin was ousted in a coup last Sept. 19, she said, he telephoned her to tell her that "father" had lost his job.

Since then, Thaksin, while remaining in exile, has been the star of his own media soap opera in Thailand, ensuring he is not forgotten as he waits for history's wheel to turn. He has bought a British soccer club, gotten himself elected the head of Thailand's golf association and now finds himself the hero of two books by young women admirers.

"Thais love this," said Kavi Chongkittavorn, an editor and columnist at The Nation newspaper. "It's Thailand's version of 'Dallas.' "

The front page of The Nation seemed dedicated to Thaksin on Saturday, as Lydia shared space with a story about investigators' assertion that he had transferred more than $1 billion abroad at the time of the coup. (Thaksin denied the accusation.)

A warrant for Thaksin's arrest on corruption charges has been issued, and he faces possible arrest if he returns. Meanwhile, the leader of the main new opposition party says he sees himself as a stand-in for Thaksin, keeping the flame alive.

At her book launching, Lydia denied that Thaksin had anything to do with the publication of her book, just as did the "Where Are You" author, Sunisa Lertpakawat, 32. Sunisa said her book was the product of ambush interviews in London.

Both books contain photographs of Thaksin relaxing in London that the authors say were given to them by his son, Panthongtae, who is a photographer.

Along with a sultry publicity photograph, the cover of Lydia's book includes a snapshot of her having a friendly cuddle with the former prime minister.

"It's not that I try to support him or want to promote his return," Lydia said on Saturday. "I just want to clear my name." She said her book had nothing to do with the one by Sunisa that preceded it. "The titles are just close," she said.

- Associated Press

PPP says Thaksin to stay out of politics

Samak Sundaravej has shot down any speculation that ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra is setting aside a large amount of money in order to make a political comeback. The former Bangkok governor condemned Suthep Thuagsuban, secretary-general of the Democrat party, for falsely accusing Thaksin of paying up to 10 billion baht to his so-called “political nominees” in order to return to power. “It’s nonsense, even though Suthep claims that he talked to Thaksin himself,” Samak fumed. “It’s obvious that he’s slinging mud at Thaksin who has no intention of returning to politics.” Samak also thanked former PM Chuan Leekpai for quashing rumours that Secretary-General of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), Supachai Panitchpakdi, was planning to defect to another party from the Democrat party. “Thank you for putting the matter to rest. Now, Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva can

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=121746

Edited by sriracha john

Mr. Prasong does not believe Mr. Thaksin will end political career

Squadron Leader Prasong Soonsiri (ประสงค์ สุ่นศิริ ) reports that former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra affirmed that he will not be participating in politics while criticizing the work of the Council for National Security in a recent foreign press interview. Mr. Prasong expressed his skepticism over the former Prime Minister's statement, and believes that Thai people are also doubtful of Mr. Thaksin's assurances.

Mr. Prasong said that if Mr. Thaksin were truly intent on ending his political involvement he would have ceased all political demonstration movements long ago in order to instill trust in his words.

Mr. Prasong added that the Election Commission of Thailand will be investigating political groups which may be linked through financial support to the former Prime Minister.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 September 2007

The Nation Thu, September 20, 2007 : Last updated 17:49 hours

Bush happy Thailand holding poll

US President George W Bush is happy that Thailand is holding an election and says that Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont is a good guy. Published on September 20, 2007

"He is a good guy and he has my sympathy," Bush told The Nation on Tuesday during a meeting in the Oval Office of the White House.

He said the last time he met Surayud he could not say when the election would be held.

"I met him again - this time he said the election is coming. That was good for him," he said, adding: "I am happy with that."

When Surayud met Bush on the sidelines of the Apec meeting in Sydney last week, he briefed Bush on progress on the political front and the scheduled election on December 23.

Bush said he remembered the deposed Thaksin Shinawatra, who met him informally on three occasions during his premiership from 2001 to 2006.

"But he got caught, huh…" he said, referring to the recent court charges over the allegedly fraudulent declaration of the ownership of his company and the Ratchadaphisek land scandal.

What ever happened to their special relationship as once claimed by Thaksin ????

Politics sure are fickle and have a way of giving one a reality check from time to time

Edited as the rest is off topic

Kavi Chongkittavorn

The Nation

If you wish to read the complete article please go to the following........

ref url:- http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/09/20/opinion/

Guess he,s blown his chances of becoming the desired / respected CEO / Premier among the leaders of the civilised world.

The " But he got caught Huh " is a somewhat understatement, while speaking volumes regarding his casual Thaksin who sort of reference after their past associations.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

That Bush-Thaksin relationship was a figment of his imagination, exaggerations following them indeed meeting years ago when T was apparently "studying" in the U.S. Lied at least once about meeting Bush in the last couple of years. He often had these stupid little improvised lies, like wearing out two orange bracelets when I and another person I know are still wearing the same one ever since they came out, they're practically indestructible.

I'll never forget the summit in Chile where T was following Bush around like a fame-craving tick, making a fool of himself. After an official photo shoot was over, T spun around to shake Bush 's hand and blabber on some more but Bush spun around to avoid him and T ended up shaking the German Chancelor's hand. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

"But he got caught, huh…"

I guess Mr. T falls into the category of just another corrupt SE Asian politician in the eyes of western leaders. Doesnt seem like W was surprised.

W is sure to be far happier with an unelected General in charge. The Bush family is very chummy with the coup-friendly Bangkokians!

I guess Mr. T falls into the category of just another corrupt SE Asian politician in the eyes of western leaders. Doesnt seem like W was surprised.

W is sure to be far happier with an unelected General in charge. The Bush family is very chummy with the coup-friendly Bangkokians!

Oh but surely you jest. Mr. T claimed Mr. Bush was his great friend, wrote him a nice personal letter and even ran off to see him only few months ago! Now what was that story of how Mr. Thaksin put the leaders of others ASEAN countries on a diiferent plane to Bush so that he could have him all to himself.

Unrequited love is a hard pill to swallow.

Interesting statement sunrise07, can you shed some light on this. (Pun unexpected)

• 2 weeks later...

Thaksin has been quiet for several days and means he is up to something. So I went to his propaganda website and was greeted with this photo of Thaksin doing his best to look like he is PM at the Foreign Press Association last month. To put that type of backdrop in the photo clearly says he is a contender.

post-17597-1191486950_thumb.jpg

sorry could not resist

post-17597-1191487526_thumb.jpg Edited by John K

• 2 weeks later...

STILL not ready to "call it quits"....

Thaksin to launch webcast, video CDs

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will reach out to supporters in Thailand by video, available on compact disc and his website, according to his legal adviser in this country.

Noppadon Pattama said Sunday the videos would be recorded in England and would contain mostly business advice.

"For example, the video may show Thaksin in a department store shopping for brandname goods. He will explain to businessmen here how they can add value to their products," Noppadon said.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Coming soon to a theatre near you... Thaksin Sinatra starring in a remake of "My Life As A Dog"...

Thaksin documentary to coincide with Thai campaign

BANGKOK - Ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will distribute a documentary in Thailand of his life in exile and takeover of Manchester City football club ahead of December elections, his lawyer said on Monday.

The documentary of Thaksin, who has said frequently he has quit politics to general disbelief at home, would be available on VCD and on Web sites, his Bangkok lawyer, Noppadon Pattama, told a radio station.

"If you like a leading actor named Thaksin, you're welcome to see it," Noppadon said. "For those who dislike him, but like his ideas, they should see it to utilise his approach."

The film would be finished in a month, Noppodon said, and its distribution would coincide with the start of the campaign for a Dec. 23 general election analysts say is likely to produce a weak coalition government.

The election will be conducted under a new constitution written by a military-appointed panel and critics say it is designed to prevent a strong single party government like Thaksin's.

Thaksin, who won landslide poll victories in 2001 and 2005 and remains popular among the rural poor, faces corruption charges and has had more than $2 billion of his money frozen in domestic bank accounts.

The billionaire tycoon denies the charges and has refused to return home to face them, saying he cannot get a fair trial until civilian rule is restored.

- Reuters

Edited by sriracha john

• 2 weeks later...

Democrat demands Thaksin quit politics

Deputy leader of Democrat party Alongkorn Ponlabutr called on ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to announce his stance after his aide Noppadon Pattama asked the Election Commission if Thaksin can be an adviser of People Power party (PPP). Mr Alongkorn said Thaksin had declared that he would quit politics, and that goes against the movement of Noppadon. He said this action shows that Thaksin did not end his political role as he has announced through international media. This, he said, is a sign that Thai politics will enter a dangerous stage after the general election. Mr Alongkorn's statement came after Noppadon said Thaksin would become PPP adviser

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123027

=============================

It seems apparent that expecting Thaksin to live up to his word was far too much of a stretch...

Edited by sriracha john

Democrat demands Thaksin quit politics

Deputy leader of Democrat party Alongkorn Ponlabutr called on ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to announce his stance after his aide Noppadon Pattama asked the Election Commission if Thaksin can be an adviser of People Power party (PPP). Mr Alongkorn said Thaksin had declared that he would quit politics, and that goes against the movement of Noppadon. He said this action shows that Thaksin did not end his political role as he has announced through international media. This, he said, is a sign that Thai politics will enter a dangerous stage after the general election. Mr Alongkorn's statement came after Noppadon said Thaksin would become PPP adviser

Continued here:

<a href="http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123027" target="_blank">http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=123027</a>

=============================

It seems apparent that expecting Thaksin to live up to his word was far too much of a stretch...

It also seems that the Dems are not demanding Thaksin quit politics but that he announce his (real?) stance! Sometimes the headlines we get are something else.

• 1 month later...
Ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra says he will return to his native land and spend his time teaching and taking part in charity work.

In Japan to accept an invitation to become a guest lecturer at a Tokyo university, a haggard-looking Thaksin told a news conference on Thursday that he also expected political normalcy to return soon.

Thaksin declined to answer questions about politics at the news conference, which was held to announce his appointment as an occasional guest lecturer at Tokyo's Takushoku University, and said he wants to concentrate on education in the future.

He hoped that his lectures, the first of which is set for July 5, could eventually lead to the establishment of a research institute on Asian economies based in Japan.

"I would like to spend the rest of my life in education and charitable activities."

Source: Reuters - 07 June 2007

Thaksin vows to stay out of politics

The ousted prime minister does not wish to support or become involved with the People's Power Party, his lawyer maintains.

Mr. Thaksin had resolved not to provide financial or moral support for, or interfere with the affairs of the People's Power Party led by outspoken former Bangkok governor and veteran politician Samak Sundaravej, said Mr. Noppadol, a deputy secretary general of the party which has been alleged by some to have been secretly endorsed by the deposed prime minister.

UPDATE.... telling lies on both the above

p54497615bpl7.jpg

Thaksin mulled for PPP government economic 'adviser' role

BANGKOK -- Thailand's former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra might be named economic counsel for a post-election government, should the People Power Party be able to form a government and land the premiership for PPP Leader Samak Sundaravej, PPP Deputy Secretary General Noppadol Pattama said Wednesday.

However, according to Thaksin's legal adviser, his colleagues will look into the law to determine if the deposed prime minister could legally assume the post of economic adviser to help a PPP administration work out quick solutions to the country's economic woes.

Thaksin is among 111 executives of the former ruling Thai Rak Thai party who are banned from politics for five years after the party was disbanded earlier this year for being found guilty of electoral fraud charges.

Noppadol confirmed that Mr. Thaksin would certainly return to Bangkok, after spending over a year in self-imposed exile in England following last year's coup.

The exact schedule of Thaksin's homecoming will be unveiled by Deputy PPP Leader Chalerm Yoobamrung during a major campaign speech at Bangkok's Sanam Luang on December 21, he said.

- MCOT

Come off it SJ, you've got more spin than Lewis Hamilton, trying to finish a grande prix.

You'll make an issue about Thaksin, no matter what the story.

It's not a crime changing your mind (or would you have him extradicted for that too)? That's how he felt at that particular moment in time. Now he feels he wants to "get back in the saddle" so to speak. Have you never changed your mind about something? I think we all have and Politicians do it more than anyone.

You raise many a serious issue on many subjects but this type of "witch hunting" doesn't do your crusade justice. Keep to the serious stuff of slagging Thaksin off eh. :o

I doubt Thaksin ever considered quitting in the first place, so no "change of mind" per se.

I don't remember when his words and his mind were in agreement, "don't believe a word that is coming out his mouth" is a default state with people like that.

Yup.. This forum needs an 'ignore' function.

Thaksin is the most successful PM Thailand ever had. And the first democratically elected PM to begin to shake up the feudal elite.. This of course had consequences that we've seen last year.

Edited by chanchao

economic adviser to help a PPP administration work out quick solutions to the country's economic woes.

and this sums up the real problem with most global politics today in that the media and the PR brokers rule the world.How did mainstream journalism ever allow itself to be bought so easily and sink so low?

Who are the major spin/pr doctors in this world , can anybody name them ? cause they are the masters of the modern universe.

Edited by parryhandy

Come off it SJ, you've got more spin than Lewis Hamilton, trying to finish a grande prix.

You'll make an issue about Thaksin, no matter what the story.

It's not a crime changing your mind (or would you have him extradicted for that too)? That's how he felt at that particular moment in time. Now he feels he wants to "get back in the saddle" so to speak. Have you never changed your mind about something? I think we all have and Politicians do it more than anyone.

You raise many a serious issue on many subjects but this type of "witch hunting" doesn't do your crusade justice. Keep to the serious stuff of slagging Thaksin off eh. :o

The point being that he's been lying all along since this thread started.

How many news reports attesting to his "quitting" politics are there in this thread that are in direct conflict with his actions?

How many news reports attesting to his "quitting" politics are there in this thread that are in direct conflict with his actions?

So what, he only said at that particular time, in an interview fairly quickly after the coup, that he can now retire and have time for himself and his family. He's changed his mind, big deal. If the junta stopped hounding him (i'm neither saying rightly or wrongly BTW), he might have kept retired. But now he probably see he has little choice.

So, now we expect honesty in politicians? Let's not be too naive. A politician is also a strategist and a tactician. Misleading one's opponents for the benefit the nation may be questionable ethics, but it's common practice and much appreciated by the beneficiaries, or, to use a old fashioned word, the 'electorate'. It should also be remembered that 'a week is a long time in politics'.

Thaksin is the most successful PM Thailand ever had. And the first democratically elected PM to begin to shake up the feudal elite.. This of course had consequences that we've seen last year.

Well said, chanchao.

Most people in Thailand are already experiencing the negative repercussions of the ousting by the non-democratic Military top brass and their affluent, middle-class Bangkokian associates. Anyone gambling on good news within the next six months should hedge their bets. A weak and ambivalent government will do nothing to restore confidence.

Edited by redewenur

So what, he only said at that particular time, in an interview fairly quickly after the coup, that he can now retire and have time for himself and his family. He's changed his mind, big deal. If the junta stopped hounding him (i'm neither saying rightly or wrongly BTW), he might have kept retired. But now he probably see he has little choice.

The point is he didn't only say it "fairly quickly after the coup".... he's been repeating it over and over for months and months since then as this thread amply documents... I simply chose one of the dozens of his quotes in this thread to point out that, once again, he's been lying all along.

Sorry if he's being "hounded", but that's not all that uncommon for people with outstanding arrest warrants.

The point is he didn't only say it "fairly quickly after the coup".... he's been repeating it over and over for months and months since then as this thread amply documents... I simply chose one of the dozens of his quotes in this thread to point out that, once again, he's been lying all along.

As redewenur says above, a week is a long time in politics. Nothing new here about a politician changing his mind. Something as little as this will blow over quicker than a fart in Hurricane Teresa.

Sorry if he's being "hounded", but that's not all that uncommon for people with outstanding arrest warrants.

I wasn't saying they should stop. All i am saying is they just might end up making a rod for their own backs.

I don't know if it's reported on here but Gen Sonthi has reportedly registered three marriages. And it was made public yesterday the coup leader and his two wives had assets totalling 95 million baht. Now how on earth does a General get that kind of money :o

Also, News headlines today in Bangkok post "Thaksin the angel" here:- http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=123996 Looks like Frank is gathering alot of friends.

Edited by mrbojangles