Former Thai PM Thaksin: "I'm Calling It Quits"

Jai Dee

Chat Thai loses over 10 former MPs

The great suck (part 2)? Those here at the inception of TRT and in its early days will recognize reversion to th tactic that swept them up so many sitting MPs in the early days. Mr. Thaksin at what he does best.

The Chat Thai Party has lost more than 10 former MPs after another political party, which gave birth to the Bt30 universal healthcare scheme, offered Bt30 million for them to contest the upcoming general election under its banner, party leader Banharn Silapa-archa said Wednesday.

"This party is now using a new scheme of 'Bt30 million for the demise of other parties'," deputy leader Somsak Prissanananthakul said.

The members who submitted resignations include those who had represented Chanthaburi - Thawatchai Anampong, Yukol Chanawatpanya and Pongwet Vejjajiva. Others were former Maha Sarakham MP Prayuth Siripanit and a son of former Surin MP Seksan Saenphum.

"There are signs that more will defect especially those from other northeastern provinces," Banharn said, adding that in 2001 when a large party was established, his party was also hit with a mass exodus.

The Nation

Chat Thai loses over 10 former MPs

The great suck (part 2)? Those here at the inception of TRT and in its early days will recognize reversion to th tactic that swept them up so many sitting MPs in the early days. Mr. Thaksin at what he does best.

The Chat Thai Party has lost more than 10 former MPs after another political party, which gave birth to the Bt30 universal healthcare scheme, offered Bt30 million for them to contest the upcoming general election under its banner, party leader Banharn Silapa-archa said Wednesday.

"This party is now using a new scheme of 'Bt30 million for the demise of other parties'," deputy leader Somsak Prissanananthakul said.

The members who submitted resignations include those who had represented Chanthaburi - Thawatchai Anampong, Yukol Chanawatpanya and Pongwet Vejjajiva. Others were former Maha Sarakham MP Prayuth Siripanit and a son of former Surin MP Seksan Saenphum.

"There are signs that more will defect especially those from other northeastern provinces," Banharn said, adding that in 2001 when a large party was established, his party was also hit with a mass exodus.

The Nation

Surely the "great suck" part 2 will encounter some hurdles this time around. I don't think it will be allowed to happen all over again.

Let him clarify it, then.

The intent was to show that the corrupt politicians don’t like the new constitution because it would drastically limit their ability to take the peoples money for themselves. Presenting it with images has a much more powerful message because the people viewing it have a variety of levels of education. Simply put, it cuts past needing an education to see what is right and wrong.

Ultimately the people will make the best choice for their personal situation. If they see that accepting 200 ThB for a no vote will cause them to lose much more because of corrupt people, they will make the right choice. The idea was to make sure they know who wants a no vote and why.

Is he saying all or most or some politicians who oppose the new constitution are corrupt and all or most or some politicians who support it or not?

Thai Visa membership no doubt also has a variety of education levels.Does he propose to make his further messages in picture form?

Is he seriously suggesting that those with an education have a better understanding of what is right and wrong?

Younghusband, you continue to embarrass yourself by challenging that education does not allow you to see things in a better light. You seem to forget Thaksin loves people who don’t have the education to see he is ripping them off.

You also seem to not understand a picture is worth a thousand words.

All I am saying is point out what groups want a no vote and are most vocal about it. Then show their favorite bad habits and point out the new charter has teeth to stop that bad habit.

I really did not want to answer you but I am sorry you are completely embarrassing yourself and you don’t even see it. Please stop for your own sake. It is like you are saying water is not wet.

The intent was to show that the corrupt politicians don’t like the new constitution because it would drastically limit their ability to take the peoples money for themselves. Presenting it with images has a much more powerful message because the people viewing it have a variety of levels of education. Simply put, it cuts past needing an education to see what is right and wrong.

Ultimately the people will make the best choice for their personal situation. If they see that accepting 200 ThB for a no vote will cause them to lose much more because of corrupt people, they will make the right choice. The idea was to make sure they know who wants a no vote and why.

Is he saying all or most or some politicians who oppose the new constitution are corrupt and all or most or some politicians who support it or not?

Thai Visa membership no doubt also has a variety of education levels.Does he propose to make his further messages in picture form?

Is he seriously suggesting that those with an education have a better understanding of what is right and wrong?

Younghusband, you continue to embarrass yourself by challenging that education does not allow you to see things in a better light. You seem to forget Thaksin loves people who don’t have the education to see he is ripping them off.

All I am saying is point out what groups want a no vote and are most vocal about it. Then show their favorite bad habits and point out the new charter has teeth to stop that bad habit.

I really did not want to answer you but I am sorry you are completely embarrassing yourself and you don’t even see it. Please stop for your own sake. It is like you are saying water is not wet.

Your use of language is so shoddy and imprecise that it is quite difficult to decipher your thought processes.I don't actually know what you mean when you say education allows one to see things in "a better light".

I certainly don't think a superior education gives any advantage in terms of assessing morality, or determining what is right and wrong.In fact the working class often historically has shown a remarkable sense of morality as for example in the American civil war when "uneducated" textile workers in England refused to accept cotton from the slave owning South, imperilling their own livelihoods.I believe likewise ordinary Thais are quite capable of making responsible choices and doing their best for the country, no matter what the urban middle classes say.

It's difficult to address your Thailand points, such as they are, since unlike other prominent supporters of the junta on this forum, you appear to have no context,knowledge or background - just a mishmash garnered from the current English language press and plagiarisation of other posters.I'm not complaining but don't expect to be taken seriously.You accuse me of embarrassing myself:perhaps we should leave it to others to determine that.You might be surprised.

Your use of language is so shoddy and imprecise that it is quite difficult to decipher your thought processes.I don't actually know what you mean when you say education allows one to see things in "a better light".

I certainly don't think a superior education gives any advantage in terms of assessing morality, or determining what is right and wrong.In fact the working class often historically has shown a remarkable sense of morality as for example in the American civil war when "uneducated" textile workers in England refused to accept cotton from the slave owning South, imperilling their own livelihoods.I believe likewise ordinary Thais are quite capable of making responsible choices and doing their best for the country, no matter what the urban middle classes say.

It's difficult to address your Thailand points, such as they are, since unlike other prominent supporters of the junta on this forum, you appear to have no context,knowledge or background - just a mishmash garnered from the current English language press and plagiarisation of other posters.I'm not complaining but don't expect to be taken seriously.You accuse me of embarrassing myself:perhaps we should leave it to others to determine that.You might be surprised.

I understand your problem with metaphors, so please ask a friend about them.

Yes you are correct that a better education does not help with morals, that is why I said to use images and not so much talking, it cuts past the need for an education. Essentially it levels the field. It lets people see what Thaksin does not want them to see or understand.

As far as letting other decide if you are embarrassing yourself, as you wish.... let others decide. You can point the gun in any direction you wish.

Here's another Thai Rak Thai who professes to quitting...

prommin.jpg

Prommin Lertsuridej

THAKSIN STALWART TOP FORMER TRT EXECUTIVE

Prommin confirms he's quitting politics

Prommin Lertsuridej, a former executive of the dissolved Thai Rak Thai party, has confirmed he is quitting politics, saying he is not accustomed to working in an increasingly hostile political atmosphere. Dr Prommin, also former secretary-general of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, yesterday said he had thought for a long time about washing his hands of politics and already informed Mr Thaksin, who is living in exile in London, and other key party figures. In fact, he decided to end his political career before the April 2, 2006 general election and the Sept 19 coup, he added. ''I confirm that I have decided to quit politics and will not play any role in any political parties, including People's Power,'' he said, of the party which has taken in many members of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai party. Dr Prommin is among 111 ex-Thai Rak Thai executives banned from politics after the Constitution Tribunal's verdict to disband it on May 30. He said he could not work in an unfriendly political atmosphere where intense rivalry has polarised politics. ''I am not accustomed to carrying out my political work in this kind of atmosphere. When I was in prime minister Thaksin's administration, I helped him run the country."

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/10Aug2007_news03.php

===============================================================================

Wondering if his actually being banned from politics had anything to do with his decision to quit politics.... :o

He who accuses others of embarassing themselves embarrases himself most assuredly. A sign of mental health is the ability to accept other's opinions.

Most of younghusband’s comments are from either he did not read what I said correctly because he is making the same point as me but presenting it as a challenge. He is also looking for me to nail down the meaning of a metaphor when it is up to the reader to make their own conclusion of the meaning. If I wanted to nail down a specific I would not have used a metaphor. I find that the embarrassing part.

prommin.jpg

Prommin Lertsuridej

Prommin Lertsuridej, a former executive of the dissolved Thai Rak Thai party, has confirmed he is quitting politics, saying he is not accustomed to working in an increasingly hostile political atmosphere. Dr Prommin, also former secretary-general of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, yesterday said he had thought for a long time about washing his hands of politics and already informed Mr Thaksin, who is living in exile in London, and other key party figures. In fact, he decided to end his political career before the April 2, 2006 general election and the Sept 19 coup, he added. ''I confirm that I have decided to quit politics and will not play any role in any political parties, including People's Power,'' he said, of the party which has taken in many members of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai party. Dr Prommin is among 111 ex-Thai Rak Thai executives banned from politics after the Constitution Tribunal's verdict to disband it on May 30. He said he could not work in an unfriendly political atmosphere where intense rivalry has polarised politics. ''I am not accustomed to carrying out my political work in this kind of atmosphere. When I was in prime minister Thaksin's administration, I helped him run the country."

Continued here:

Wondering if his actually being banned from politics had anything to do with his decision to quit politics.... :o

As much as I am no great fan of Dr. Prommin, I think that this is actually a principled standand and should be commended. So many at the moment are finding any excuse to jump into bed with their own obvious ideological enemies.

By the way is there any chance we can cut the personal atacks and get on with attempting to debate what is happening, and their is a lot. At themoment there are many threads getting bogged down in personal stuff.

prommin.jpg

Prommin Lertsuridej

As much as I am no great fan of Dr. Prommin, I think that this is actually a principled standand and should be commended. So many at the moment are finding any excuse to jump into bed with their own obvious ideological enemies.

I would commend him too, if unlike Thaksin in the six months time since the OP, he actually has quit politics.

I would commend ANY of the 111 banned from politics to actually quit politics.

The intent was to show that the corrupt politicians don't like the new constitution because it would drastically limit their ability to take the peoples money for themselves. Presenting it with images has a much more powerful message because the people viewing it have a variety of levels of education. Simply put, it cuts past needing an education to see what is right and wrong.

Younghusband, you continue to embarrass yourself by challenging that education does not allow you to see things in a better light. You seem to forget Thaksin loves people who don't have the education to see he is ripping them off.

I really did not want to answer you but I am sorry you are completely embarrassing yourself and you don't even see it. Please stop for your own sake. It is like you are saying water is not wet.

I understand your problem with metaphors, so please ask a friend about them.

Yes you are correct that a better education does not help with morals, that is why I said to use images and not so much talking, it cuts past the need for an education. Essentially it levels the field. It lets people see what Thaksin does not want them to see or understand.

As far as letting other decide if you are embarrassing yourself, as you wish.... let others decide. You can point the gun in any direction you wish.

Now children, if you can't play nicely you will have to go home...

:o

Rich

prommin.jpg

Prommin Lertsuridej

Continued here:

By the way is there any chance we can cut the personal atacks and get on with attempting to debate what is happening, and their is a lot. At themoment there are many threads getting bogged down in personal stuff.

personally I don;t think Thaksin *can* give up politics. His loss of face is so humungously great that he would not allow himself to do anything except fight an increasingly bitter war. His politics might not be visible for a while but it will be there, sure as eggs. Thaksin give up politics? Unlikely

:D

Rich

prommin.jpg

Prommin Lertsuridej

Continued here:

personally I don;t think Thaksin *can* give up politics. His loss of face is so humungously great that he would not allow himself to do anything except fight an increasingly bitter war. His politics might not be visible for a while but it will be there, sure as eggs. Thaksin give up politics? Unlikely

:D

Rich

Agreed

His eventual real return in politics would mean civil war. The scary thing is he probably thinks he's worth it, even before the assets freeze. :o

The country is somewhat safer while he steps into one of his other personalities, Frank, who also used to sing and hire walls of lawyers.

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing we can all agree on is that General Sondhi and his cronies should quit politics, enough is enough! There will always be those who thought the Thaksin era was a good time for Thailand and those who thought it was not. No one thinks the Sondhi era is good.

The one thing we can all agree on is that General Sondhi and his cronies should quit politics, enough is enough! There will always be those who thought the Thaksin era was a good time for Thailand and those who thought it was not. No one thinks the Sondhi era is good.

Nonsense, the Sonthi era has saved Thailand from bloodshed.

Just one more time... for the record....

But despite such sustained popularity of the deposed prime minister and the TRT Group in the designated provincial constituencies, Mr. Thaksin would not change his mind regarding his return to the political arena, Mr. Noppadol said.

The former prime minister had repeatedly announced that he would never re-enter politics, even after he returns home.

- MCOT / August 23, 2007

=========================================

No word yet if he's going to pursue his blossoming luek teung singing career:

frankshittywater.jpg

From his own website.... the Its_True_If_I_say_it_Thaksin. org or . net.... or whatever he's calling his promotion these days.

Haven't heard this time from his son on whether Dad is calling these back-up dancers "Just like a daughter", like he did for Lydia...

Edited by sriracha john

What piffle.It's like saying that the Nazis who invaded Norway peacefully during WW2 saved that country fro bloodshed.

Sonthi would in many countries rightfully be facing a long spell behind bars.Actually as the Economist pointed out yesterday if the PPP wins the election that's precisely what might happen - pardon for Thaksin , removal of amnesty from new charter and than deal with the criminal junta.Not what I want but it does have a certain enjoyable irony about it.

What piffle.It's like saying that the Nazis who invaded Norway peacefully during WW2 saved that country fro bloodshed.

Sonthi would in many countries rightfully be facing a long spell behind bars.Actually as the Economist pointed out yesterday if the PPP wins the election that's precisely what might happen - pardon for Thaksin , removal of amnesty from new charter and than deal with the criminal junta.Not what I want but it does have a certain enjoyable irony about it.

...where Thaksin would have also been sitting for some years already.

There, your first sentence seems to make more sense now.

...where Thaksin would have also been sitting for some years already.

There, your first sentence seems to make more sense now.

Yes in an ideal world they would be in adjoining cells, or even better as cell mates.Now there's an idea for a play by Harold Pinter.

Was Norway in any way similar to pre-coup Thailand? Were Nazis Norway's own top level generals?

If PPP wins the election and Thaksin comes back to prosecute the junta you can kiss this country goodbye, it will turn into Burma faster than you think.

Economist has finally lost its mind - it's not irony, it's bloodshed.

Was Norway in any way similar to pre-coup Thailand? Were Nazis Norway's own top level generals?

If PPP wins the election and Thaksin comes back to prosecute the junta you can kiss this country goodbye, it will turn into Burma faster than you think.

Economist has finally lost its mind - it's not irony, it's bloodshed.

And there are no fir trees in Lumpinee Park.I think the general point is very clear.

I doubt whether the PPP will win the election, and much though they deserve it the junta will probably escape punishment.It's too engrained in Thai political culture to demand retribution.One has to be a real idiot compounded with violence on the wrong person like General not so Chalard to get topped.It's OK to murder students and political activists as we know from Suchinda's current happy position.

I note your view on the Economist.You forgot to mention the staff there are in the pay of Thaksin, or some other paranoid rubbish the juntaphiles are so attached to.The fact most international journals of record on the planet are saying much the same things about Thailand is I suppose further evidence of Thaksin's pervasive influence.

Right from the beginning the Economist took the view that Thaksin was the legitimate, elected leader and that demonstrations against him were not democratic.

There's so much rubbish both on CNN and BBC, not to mention outlets like Fox, that citing western media as some sort of final truth on Thailand's domestic politics is extremely naive position.

Deposed leaders were always sent to exile. From Pridi down to Thaksin. What do you think will happen next? Half the country packing up and leaving? There will be no surrender to Thaksin, the stakes are too high.

It's also naive to think that it's just a dozen of generals who oppose Thaksin, not millions upon millions of Thais who can't stand the guy, too. It shows complete lack of understanding.

Right from the beginning the Economist took the view that Thaksin was the legitimate, elected leader and that demonstrations against him were not democratic.

There's so much rubbish both on CNN and BBC, not to mention outlets like Fox, that citing western media as some sort of final truth on Thailand's domestic politics is extremely naive position.

Deposed leaders were always sent to exile. From Pridi down to Thaksin. What do you think will happen next? Half the country packing up and leaving? There will be no surrender to Thaksin, the stakes are too high.

It's also naive to think that it's just a dozen of generals who oppose Thaksin, not millions upon millions of Thais who can't stand the guy, too. It shows complete lack of understanding.

I think your encapsulation of the Economist's position is a little unfair.Anyway its main analysis is shared by most credible international commentators, and increasingly by domestic ones.Some of The Nation's recent editorials for example have touched on some important home truths.

As for Thaksin it's difficult to predict his future, but I suspect he will become increasingly marginalised.Probably some sort of deal will be patched up but I don't exclude the possibility of long exile.Actually it doesn't matter very much and I personally couldn't care less.He was only really important as a catalyst.The point is that the political landscape has now changed permanently and the feudalist/military/corporate reactionaries will no longer have it all their own way.The clock is ticking for the dinosaurs, and the Sino-Thai middle class will just have to realise there are some adjustments to be made.Actually I think Abhisit is up for the challenge.

I think your encapsulation of the Economist's position is a little unfair.Anyway its main analysis is shared by most credible international commentators, and increasingly by domestic ones.Some of The Nation's recent editorials for example have touched on some important home truths.

As for Thaksin it's difficult to predict his future, but I suspect he will become increasingly marginalised.Probably some sort of deal will be patched up but I don't exclude the possibility of long exile.Actually it doesn't matter very much and I personally couldn't care less.He was only really important as a catalyst.The point is that the political landscape has now changed permanently and the feudalist/military/corporate reactionaries will no longer have it all their own way.The clock is ticking for the dinosaurs, and the Sino-Thai middle class will just have to realise there are some adjustments to be made.Actually I think Abhisit is up for the challenge.

I'm not so optomistic- the army has made it clear that if/when it deems fit, it will have another coup. I think its safe to say that in the North and Issan, support for the coup is probably more now than it was 10 months ago. The Bangkok middle class has given little indication that if it doesn't like a government it will, next time, oppose a coup.

As you rightly point out though YH, the tone in the Nation and Post editorials of late has suggested that if they are representative of the Thai papers- another coup won't be the media cakewalk that this one was.

Yesterday, Gen Montri announced that the army would be pushing the government to pump billions of baht into the NE in order to garner support. His statement, which I don't have on hand, could be interpreted as support for either the army or for the (army appointed) Surayuth government. ie, the coup. Even if this is only to sever support for Thaksin, it is hardly the statement of someone willing to accord the entire population the right to choose a government freely- and which he, as a member of the military will serve obediently.

I still think that the support this coup enjoyed in Bangkok- and Sonthi L said as much- was due to the feeling of the middle class that it had been sidelined financially. (-that had the middle class believed that Thaksin was their man, they would have overlooked his alleged corruption).

I guess what I'm trying to say is next time a gov't ignores the middle class in favor of the majority (the poor)- this whole thing stupid episode will be repeated.

And that was the brilliance of this charter- no gov't for quite a while will probably be strong enough to actually do much. So as long as the charter keeps the parties weak- there'll be no coup- because from the perspective of those who supported the coup- there'll be no need.