UK experts arriving to help rescue mission in Chiang Rai

webfact

16 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

My guess is water displacement. The mass of the diver is taking the space of water, that water needs somewhere to go, if that somewhere is a few km ahead then I guess it is harder to move through the water. 

More likely for helping with orientation

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

It would be a bit hard to get lost in a cave , as theres only one way to go

It's a large cave with muddy water . You can easily lose your sense of direction 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Would be nice to have some info from The Nation about who they are and what is their expertise.

Looking at the picture I have to quote what on of my instructors used to say: " There aren't any good divers, only old divers". Even more pertinent when cave diving, I reckon.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, chang1 said:

I'm no expert but I would expect a diver in muddy water will have trouble even knowing if he is going up or down yet alone in which direction even with a compass. Having even a small air gap will greatly help orientate him and see his compass. 

It will help a bit but I am sure divers know what is up and down at least I did when I was diving. Air will rise up when you breathe out so its a pretty good indicator of how your positioned. They probably have lights on their compass to see.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Come on to Americans navy seals are super heroes they will according to them be undoubtedly better then the Brits even though the Brits are specialized cave divers. I would say the Brits in this case are far more expert as cave diving is not a thing the seals train for. (not as much as these Brit experts anyway)

Being British, I agree with you but I think that having been in this cave before is going to help them a lot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

It will help a bit but I am sure divers know what is up and down at least I did when I was diving. Air will rise up when you breathe out so its a pretty good indicator of how your positioned. They probably have lights on their compass to see.

All depends on visibility. I have only dived in clear well lit water. Near zero visibility in a confined space would be totally different. Sure they can progress but having an air gap would speed them up considerably.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

The relevant issue is the level of expertise, not where the expertise comes from. The issue, as I see it, is that well-meaning  assistance from Moldavia, the US and Britain is actually dividing and hampering the rescue attempt. If the Thai authorities conclude the most relevant expertise is that of the Brits, then they should coordinate the rescue team's progress towards finding these boys.

I hope they form separate teams to search different routes with a competent person organizing them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chang1 said:

All depends on visibility. I have only dived in clear well lit water. Near zero visibility in a confined space would be totally different. Sure they can progress but having an air gap would speed them up considerably.

Yes of course near visibility in a confined space would be totally different, but you don't need an air gap to know what is up or down. I mean you breathe out your air rises.. so you will always know what up is. 

But going in a cave like this bad visibility would make things real hard it would go real slow. But I would imagine they would put ropes through the pars they have already been so they don't have to rediscover a route all the time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Enough with the nationalist hubris already!
I don't care if it's the Moldavan Juggling Guild that would be best to help them. Just hop to it. It seems really late by now. 

Yes, I said that. Those divers have been searching non stop for 5 days. The group can't have gone that far in a few hours. I personally have lost hope. For once I would love to be wrong. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

That's nice, they can join the 1000 people from all over Thailand already working to free the missing boys. A team of 10 to 20 people who really know this cave system well would probably be the answer.

As it's a football team, and the World Cup is on, how long will it be before FIFA sees an opportunity to help it's corruption tarnished image with vigils, minute's silences, cash for the village..........and all that kind of stuff.

Hardly the time or place for facetious comments.  Spare a thought for the parents.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Yes, I said that. Those divers have been searching non stop for 5 days. The group can't have gone that far in a few hours. I personally have lost hope. For once I would love to be wrong. 

You havent been following the story , have you ?

Read the latest from the story before commenting .

Get some info , before posting incorrect things

• Like 1