New 3 year visas coming out next year any one else hear that

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Once applied for it allows getting two 5 year visas but only allows one year stays in the country without getting a extension.

See: http://thaiembdc.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-x-long-stay/

That link is what's confusing me. It appears to me to say you can stay for 5 years each time. I was thinking that meant 5 years each entry, and when it says "total of 10 years" I was assuming it was talking about the same thing you can do with an O-A to leave and come in right before the visa expires to renew/restart your permission to stay.

" Period of stay Travelers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period of 5 years each time (total 10 years) "

I don't see anything on that page referencing any one-year limitations. It looks to me like the visa is valid for 5 years and multiple entries, and you get 5 years permission to stay on each entry.

I'm sort of expecting to find out that the US embassy web page doesn't accurately describe what the IO's in Thailand actually do. But I don't understand how I'm misreading the meaning of the web page.

7 hours ago, elviajero said:

There are no such plans that I know of.

They could issue a 3 year visa, but they cannot issue a 3 year extension of stay without a change to the law.

Wy? This is Thailand They Do what They Want.

24 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

I don't see anything on that page referencing any one-year limitations. It looks to me like the visa is valid for 5 years and multiple entries, and you get 5 years permission to stay on each entry.

Indirectly it does since you have to confirm you still meet the requirements every year.

This from the Consular Affairs website. http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/other/7394/80938-Non-–-Immigrant-Visa--“O---X”-(Long-Stay-10-years).html

Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.

- Stay permit of the Non-O-X visa holders may be revoked due to following conditions:

1) Foreigners do not have financial evidence as per stipulated by above qualifications such as:

- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 3 million Baht at the end of the first year of stay period in Thailand.

- the sum of money in the bank account is less than 1.5 million Baht at the end of the second year of stay period in Thailand, and/or the money in said account was spent outside Thailand.

2) Foreigners do not have insurance as per stipulated by above qualifications.

3) Foreigners pose threat to peace and security of Thailand.

4) Foreigners work without permission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Maybe they do what is regarded as best for the nation and what is politically acceptable to the population. 

Maybe they realise that the esteem many expats believe they should be held in is indeed a load of bunkum and rightly so.

Not as if the rest of the world and certainly not countries like uk, eu and usa make it easy for thai citizens who travel to those places for work, study or play.

The ‘O-X’ must have been issued under ‘investment promotion’, which by law allows stay permits of any length.

Extensions of stay for retirement/marriage come under ‘other’ reasons and the max period of stay is 1 year.

Probably stiffer financial conditions to clean out those who are regarded as falang Kee Nok - the irony will be when those self identified "good farang" TV posters on retirement visas who have been saying that Thailand should tighten up to keep the riff raff out find out they can't meet the requirements. Kharma dudes.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2

edit: I'm commenting regarding the O-X, not the hypothetical 3-year...

US$400 for a visa that gets you 10 years permission to stay with a single border run after 5 years seems like a pretty good deal, even if you do still have to report to immigration annually. It sounds like the annual hassle will be similar to, but perhaps a bit less than, the one year extension of stay hassle, and there's no annual fee.

Although on the other hand if you figure the opportunity cost of keeping 3 million baht tied up in a Thai bank account vs something bearing better interest it may come out to be more expensive than the regular 800k one-year retirement extension paying 1900 baht.

Edited by jerry921

edit: I'm commenting regarding the O-X, not the hypothetical 3-year...

US$400 for a visa that gets you 10 years permission to stay with a single border run after 5 years seems like a pretty good deal, even if you do still have to report to immigration annually. It sounds like the annual hassle will be similar to, but perhaps a bit less than, the one year extension of stay hassle, and there's no annual fee.

Although on the other hand if you figure the opportunity cost of keeping 3 million baht tied up in a Thai bank account vs something bearing better interest it may come out to be more expensive than the regular 800k one-year retirement extension paying 1900 baht.
Yes you should have better things to do with your money, plus once retired you have time so that's the reason the O-X has been a flop

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

As opposed to every other country in the world, including one big western country, that sets policy on a day by day basis depending on which way the political winds are blowing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Sure that with yearly extensions at only 1'900B they must make a lot o money... :whistling:

Yes, I'm sure the government bases its budget on how many Baht 1900 they can collect up front as opposed to collecting same amount or more over a three year period.

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A lot of this is obviously about the money so just charge approx. 3 times as much that they do now for the one year.

If someone goes to the trouble of getting a three year visa he would probably have spent as much or more on shorter term visas over three years and if "they" were really going for the money, they'd probably be better off issuing shorter term visas and hoping to catch more people  on overstay who would get hit with fines.

Edited by Suradit69

26 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

It seems like this is the actual permission to stay stamp, not the visa. And it was issued for 5 years. So this would mean no annual extentions.

Do you still have to do 90 day reports?

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes.

Permission to stay and address reporting every 90 days are not connected.

Edited by elviajero

Just how much paperwork, stress,all the running around Banks, pictures, visits from Tourist police, photocopy this photocopy that and all the hundreds of signatures...staff time...!!!.it really does make sense, 3 years a good idea! ..I think if implemented it will be on the basis of Financial evidence every year on renewal....like the 60 Day deposit rule..that applies to me,I don't know about monthly income.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tandor said:
8 hours ago, BuaBS said:

If it requires 3 x 800k in a Thai bank , I'll pass.

..will there be an option (grandfathering

IF they brought in a 3 year extension of stay AND increased the money required to “3 x 800” it would almost certainly be a separate option.

If they kept the 1 year option ‘grandfathering’ wouldn’t be needed.

The “3 year visa” is an unsubstantiated rumour. Not going to happen unless they want to dramatically reduce ‘retiree expats’.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

Not going to happen unless they want to dramatically reduce ‘retiree expats’.

Your point seems illogical to me. Why would adding another option reduce anything? The old options would remain available, so no one would be impacted, and no one would have any incentive to be reduced. Dramatically reduced? I don't think so.

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

The “3 year visa” is an unsubstantiated rumour.

I agree with this part at least.

11 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

The 10 year visa is for those who can keep 3 million baht in the bank pretty much for the length of stay.  Nothing new here.

The way I read it, you need 3 million already in a Thai bank to get the visa in the first place (I didn't see anything about starting out with the money in a home country bank like with an O-A). And you need 3 million still in the bank at the end of the first year. But during year 2 you can spend down to 1.5 million, and the way I understand it, you'd need to maintain 1.5 million thereafter.

It's unclear to me whether, when you leave at the end of your 5 year permission to stay and return just before the visa expires to get a second 5 years, whether at that point you once again need 3 million, or if 1.5 is good enough then. And another point of question is at the one year mark on your second 5 years (i.e. at year 6).

I'd have to rate your comment only partially correct. You definitely need to be able to keep 1.5 million in the bank for your length of stay, but it only needs to be 3 million for at most one of the first five years.

11 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

Nothing new here.

Agree. We got slightly off topic talking about the O-X, to refuted the claim that the longest permission to stay you could get for retirement was one year. Even though with the O-X you still need to go in annually to have your eligibility rechecked.