Man who got lost in 'labyrinth' Thai cave says it was a miracle he survived

Jonathan Fairfield

Man who got lost in 'labyrinth' Thai cave says it was a miracle he survived

2018-06-28T092554Z_1_LYNXMPEE5R0T7_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE.JPG

A rescue worker sits in front of the Tham Luang cave complex during a search for members of an under-16 soccer team and their coach, in the northern province of Chiang Rai, Thailand, June 27, 2018. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A man who got lost inside a cave in Thailand where rescue workers are searching for a group of boys and their soccer coach recalled on Thursday his experience inside the "labyrinth", saying it was a miracle he got out alive.

Thai and international rescue teams are scouring the flooded Tham Luang cave complex in Chiang Rai province to try to find the 12 missing children, aged from 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old assistant soccer coach, who have disappeared, apparently after going to explore the cave on Saturday.

In 2002, Intu Incharoen and four friends also set out to explore a cave that mothers have for generations forbidden their children from visiting.

They soon found themselves hopelessly lost.

"I was so lost I almost couldn't make it out," Intu, 34, told Reuters.

The Chiang Rai native said parts of the cave's floor were hollow and there were numerous side channels, some dropping off down into uncharted depths of darkness.

"You could fall through some hollow ground. There were lots of diversions. It was a labyrinth. It was so deep you couldn't tell where it ended," said Intu.

The 12 boys and their coach set off into the cave after soccer practice on Saturday. Their bicycles and soccer boots were found at the mouth of the cave but there has been no sign of them apart from some footprints near the cave's mouth.

The cave network stretches 10 km (6 miles) into a jungle-clad mountain and rescue workers believe flood waters cut off the boys in a chamber. Rescue efforts have been dogged by rising waters while heavy rain has fallen incessantly.

Martin Ellis, author of 'The Caves of Thailand Volume 2' describes how the cave is prone to flooding in the wet season which usually runs from May to October.

"It can only be explored between November and June," Ellis wrote.

Intu said he and his friends were so lost it was impossible for them to retrace their steps, back the way they had come.

Hours later, they heard women calling for help from an adjoining chamber. After following the voices, the two groups joined forces and eventually found an exit route back to the entrance.

"It was a miracle," Intu said.

Intu said parents have long warned their children to stay away from the cave, and for good reason.

"The cave is a forbidden place. Parents always said you could go anywhere but there," he said.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat; Writing by Patpicha Tanakasempipat; Editing by Amy Sawitta Lefevre)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-28

Interesting to hear from someone who has been deep inside the cave. Unfortunately the football coach should never have take the lads inside, given that the rainy season has already started. 

Their survival depends on his authority and maturity as a leader. At 25, he is still young.

I suspect that when the rain started filling the cave the natural instinct would have been to try to run back to the entrance rather than run deeper inside the cave. 

Unless by some miracle they managed to find a dry, high, cavern and have stayed in there together ever since, then it seems unlikely they will have survived. 

International military and rescue teams    should have been requested on Sunday evening.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I guess it's lost on those devoid of compassion?

Or maybe it's just insightful FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE of how challenging this is for the rescue teams involved?

Or maybe it's a lack of empathy?

I’ll stick with my theory. 

Mainly because he he didn’t need to share his experience with the media to help find those missing. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I’ll stick with my theory. 

Mainly because he he didn’t need to share his experience with the media to help find those missing. 

So you recommend he should have restricted his real world experiences to sharing with his 'friends' on facebook?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So you recommend he should have restricted his real world experiences to sharing with his 'friends' on facebook?

I’d have kept out of it. 

If I had knowledge that could help with rescuers I’d talk with them. 

I wouldn’t parade myself before the media. 

I wouldn't go seeking 5 minutes of fame for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/28/2018 at 4:51 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Martin Ellis, author of 'The Caves of Thailand Volume 2' describes how the cave is prone to flooding in the wet season which usually runs from May to October.

In my world June comes after May, so Mr. Ellis, is June a safe time to explore or not?

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, NanLaew said:

I guess it's lost on those devoid of compassion?

Or maybe it's just insightful FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE of how challenging this is for the rescue teams involved?

Or maybe it's a lack of empathy?

Telling the parents their children have very little chance of being found. I'll stick with my lack of compassion. 

On 6/28/2018 at 4:51 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Chiang Rai native said parts of the cave's floor were hollow and there were numerous side channels, some dropping off down into uncharted depths of darkness.

"You could fall through some hollow ground. There were lots of diversions. It was a labyrinth. It was so deep you couldn't tell where it ended," said Intu.

Drop offs does not sound very good if missing children are running to find safe ground.

On 6/30/2018 at 2:46 AM, PaddyDaddy said:

In my world June comes after May, so Mr. Ellis, is June a safe time to explore or not?

Would depend on the weather.

This year June wasn't safe, as it had been raining nearly every day.

Mind you, no time is really safe to explore a cave, they're generally dangerous.

Risk of rocks dropping on your head, falling down crevices and getting lost even in the best weather conditions.

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/28/2018 at 5:40 PM, Topdoc said:

On the basis of this article, the boys should never have been allowed into the cave, especially at this time of year.

Firstly that incident happened 16 years ago and secondly this post was made today long after the boys went in there. Also there was no mention of what time of the year it happened.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, berybert said:

13 mothers praying their children will be found safe and well.

What is the point of this rubbish ?

Faith is the point, their faith, and if it gives them the psychological strength that helps them to get through the horror of potentially losing their children, why not?  It doesn't affect you in any way at all, does it?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:46 AM, PaddyDaddy said:

He said that the wet season is between May and October. 

He then said that the cave can only be explored between November and June. 

Those are not contradictory statements, his suggestion was that the cave can be explored after the end of the wet season until the early part of the next wet season.  Perfectly reasonable in most people's world.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Faith is the point, their faith, and if it gives them the psychological strength that helps them to get through the horror of potentially losing their children, why not?  It doesn't affect you in any way at all, does it?

What on earth are you going on about ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, berybert said:

Do you not understand faith?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=gAs6W52jIYj49QPvwJPYAw&q=faith&oq=faith&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39k1j0i67k1l9.5963.7303.0.8349.6.5.0.0.0.0.117.495.3j2.5.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.5.494.0...0.iNMwBGfWbKA

complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

"this restores one's faith in politicians".

Ignore the word politicians in this case and replace it with "rescue teams"

synonyms:trust, belief, confidence, conviction; optimism, hopefulness, hope

"he justified his boss's faith in him"

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Do you not understand faith?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=gAs6W52jIYj49QPvwJPYAw&q=faith&oq=faith&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39k1j0i67k1l9.5963.7303.0.8349.6.5.0.0.0.0.117.495.3j2.5.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.5.494.0...0.iNMwBGfWbKA

complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

"this restores one's faith in politicians".

Ignore the word politicians in this case and replace it with "rescue teams"

synonyms:trust, belief, confidence, conviction; optimism, hopefulness, hope

"he justified his boss's faith in him"

And what has that got to do with what I posted ?

On 6/29/2018 at 1:27 PM, Dick Crank said:

Does not say how they made it out. Trial and error? Always turning the same direction and marking chosen tunnel with a rock?

Dick Cramps has a point. Totally agree. 

The rainy season seems to change from day to day and hour to hour. 

May to October flooded, but you can explore it between November and June?  ?

I hope that the ass. coach didn't listen to that. 

I've got to look for my spectacles now. 

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Simply this. Do you not understand faith?

Obviously you do not understand faith.

I don't believe in faith but it doesn't bother me if other do. 

I mentioned the families praying, and some looney comes along telling them it is virtually impossible for their children to get out alive. He is hardly helping them even if they share the same faith. 

Maybe you just didn't understand my first post. 

20 hours ago, berybert said:

What on earth are you going on about?

You asked, mockingly,  "what was the point" of 13 mothers praying for the safety of their children, I very clearly explained what I thought the point was.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, berybert said:

I don't believe in faith but it doesn't bother me if other do. 

I mentioned the families praying, and some looney comes along telling them it is virtually impossible for their children to get out alive. He is hardly helping them even if they share the same faith. 

Maybe you just didn't understand my first post. 

Being as the children were found last night the the families faith came true.

Now do you understand my post about faith?