Am I Blacklisted From Entering Thailand For Rental Dispute?

Hi all,

I had an amazing experience in Thailand for 90 days from January - April this year and cannot wait to go back.

Unfortunately the day leaving the country my apartment owner contacted me disputing the remaining amount owed on the rental. I thought it was completely all set, she did not. While I was wrong to do so, I ended up leaving the country and ignoring the issue simply because I did not agree according to our contract.

She followed up messaging me saying she was going to get immigration involved and not allow me to leave (already had) and that I would never be allowed to enter Thailand again.

I truly have no clue if she did work with immigration or filed anything with police. She does have all my personal information (passport information, social security, etc). I am scheduled to meet with the Thai Consulate here in the states next week. Would they be able to look into this? Should I even mention it?

I sincerely appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

*I am American and under 35 years old.

Edited by calikid90210

Unless she has gone to court, and obtained a judgment against you, you have nothing to worry about. Even if she has done that, I would think she would prefer to have you in Thailand, where she might have some small chance of collecting the money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

She can not blacklist you.

You can enter without problem.

If she has gone to court, you will however be prohibited to leave again until court case has settled.

Will you please explain how this works? 

Someone wrongly or rightfully  accuses you of owing a debt and you are prohibited from leaving Thailand? How does that work that you cannot leave Thailand until the case is resolved? 

A couple of years ago a man was stopped from leaving and had to remain here for over a year not able to work because a house owner accused him of stealing furniture.  He was found not to have done so and allowed to leave.

Edited by harrry

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Do you still have a copy of the contract and all paperwork/receipts of proper payments?

I was told when I broke my rental contract that it was a civil matter and it is nothing to do with criminal action which Immigration would be concerened with and not to worry about getting blacklisted.

23 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Will you please explain how this works? 

Someone wrongly or rightfully  accuses you of owing a debt and you are prohibited from leaving Thailand? How does that work that you cannot leave Thailand until the case is resolved? 

They will hold on to your passport.

22 minutes ago, harrry said:

A couple of years ago a man was stopped from leaving and had to remain here for over a year not able to work because a house owner accused him of stealing furniture.  He was found not to have done so and allowed to leave.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-21917654

It was actually three years he was stuck here.

Many cases that would be civil cases in other countries can become criminal cases in Thailand due to the wide scope of Thailand's criminal legislation and if the plaintiff pushes the police, prosecutor and courts hard enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Passport is owned by the country of issue. Unless your charged with a crime and been held nobody can hold onto anything . They can hold my nuts 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

She can not blacklist you.

You can enter without problem.

If she has gone to court, you will however be prohibited to leave again until court case has settled.

This scenario is not totally unknown.

11 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Many cases that would be civil cases in other countries can become criminal cases in Thailand due to the wide scope of Thailand's criminal legislation and if the plaintiff pushes the police, prosecutor and courts hard enough.

...and this is why it can happen.

5 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Passport is owned by the country of issue. Unless your charged with a crime and been held nobody can hold onto anything .

And that's EXACTLY what I told the plain-clothes Iraqi cop when I was pulled over for driving a Kuwaiti registered car in Baghdad in December 1990.

Then he showed me his Walther PPK.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Can they really? I thought a passport belonged to the country where it was issued. If you are

forced to stay in Thailand without a passport until a court case is due, you may have difficulty doing certain things

you may need to do, a hotel, banking transactions etc.

Not everyone has a driving licence, pink card etc.

7 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Can they really? I thought a passport belonged to the country where it was issued. If you are

forced to stay in Thailand without a passport until a court case is due, you may have difficulty doing certain things

They can and they do.... 

Although most people pay up and reach a settlement long before the 2-3 years before court procedures

The police usually broker the deal strangely enough

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Any corrupt police force in any 3rd world countries can try anything they want. It's up to the individual how they handle the situation 

2 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

They can and they do.... 

Although most people pay up and reach a settlement long before the 2-3 years before court procedures

Along with Immigration, the Thai police are the last people you would trust, though I still am doubtful about anyone been able to keep your passport.

Could they not just put a block on your passport to stop you leaving the country? 

8 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

They can and they do.... 

They can dream away. My passport is locked away. My Thai lawyer handles all legal matters. There will be only a court case. 0 negotiations and my lawyer is THAI USA. 

Edited by Media1

7 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Any corrupt police force in any 3rd world countries can try anything they want. It's up to the individual how they handle the situation 

In that case I know how I would handle it.

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

Ho ho ho. 

I laugh on anybody who honestly believes that any government in the world cannot force you to produce your passport for them while you are in their country.

Everyone has there own way. My passport will never be left with anybody. Unless I are charged then my lawyer will handle it. You can laugh all your want. To this day I have never left my Thai licence with any cop. Maybe the laugh makes you feel good 

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

For a rental contract dispute??? Not saying you are wrong but in civil cases the court holds your passport?  Not taking about defamation of monarchy or criminal matter but simply a dispute over money????