Put your cards on the table, EU makes last Brexit call to Britain

rooster59

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

An opinion needs to be based on evidence analysis and rational thought - no "argument" for Brexit shows this therefore you don't have an opinion.

IYOHO of course! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

They just don't grasp it....

The UK market has a demand for X number of Y (cars in this case)........ if German cars become too expensive buyers will switch suppliers.....the Japanese are quite keen to sell.

Of course they do not grasp it. They all hang onto fake and meaning less export and import figures.

In 2016 the EU exported 1.2 million cars to the UK. The UK exported 975K cars to the EU.

Are these really exports and imports ? Or merely swapping resources ?

8 hours ago, aright said:

I am so glad you have adopted a tenet of us Brexiteers.

If a country can't pass a law to protect the lives of  female cyclists...………...then I don't see how that country can truly be called independent" 

Pleased to see you're coming round to our way of thinking.

The EU is far from perfect, I have never wavered from that point of view. I suspect that in this case, the issue is changing a specification of HGVs which we don't actually manufacture. Being in the single market, all countries would need to sign up to such a regulation. We could easily have our own requirement to add additional mirrors or cameras

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

If your surname was Head, your christian name would be Richard! 

Entirely off topic, but funnily enough I once knew a guy whose name was Richard Head!

God knows what his parents were thinking when coming up with Richard as a first name for their child ?!

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No it doesn't just mean German cars will cost UK consumers more; it also means that they will sell a lot less of them.

Do you really think so ? All cars will cost UK consumers more, with the exception of those made in the UK which contain no foreign components. 

So unless the British public are so poor they can't afford the extra, I don't think you'll find too too many Mercedes buyers switching to Honda instead. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tebee said:

Do you really think so ? All cars will cost UK consumers more, with the exception of those made in the UK which contain no foreign components. 

So unless the British public are so poor they can't afford the extra, I don't think you'll find too too many Mercedes buyers switching to Honda instead. 

Yes. I really think so! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Entirely off topic, but funnily enough I once knew a guy whose name was Richard Head!

God knows what his parents were thinking when coming up with Richard as a first name for their child ?!

Ha ha.... me too....he played centre forward for Skegness Town in the 70's

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

I don't know if you have been following the various Brexit threads as they have evolved along with Brexit, but to jump in now and be so insulting to a frequent contributor to the threads is out of order, in my opinion. There are few Brexit related things to which LG and I agree, but he certainly doesn't deserve the goading that you are throwing down.

Couldn't agree more, but would add a 'note' to the mods (assuming they're reading these posts) - PLEASE don't delete them, as it shows the character of certain posters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

OK I will say it again, although those posters who have been on here a while, certainly for the 2 year period since the 2016 referendum. I voted Leave. I was still eligible for a vote even though I have lived here in Thailand for a long time.

I follow politics and believe everyone should, if they want to have  a say and have their opinions valued.

So I listened to the prime Minister DC who clearly stated that by voting to Leave the EU we would leave the single market, customs union and European court of Justice jurisdiction (although I always thought this was never a complete leave)

So from the above I voted leave. everyone I know who voted leave did the same with the same understanding. The term soft and hard brexit wasn't invented and has been so, by remainers trying to 'stop the above.

tebbe is that clear?

Are you saying you specifically wished to leave the SM and CU or are you just saying you were aware that that would be a result of leaving?

30 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Time to point out (yet again....) that insulting those who voted brexit is the main argument for remainers ☹️.

Well apart that is from pointing out the utter shambles Brexit is and was predicted to become.

And if getting really personal observing the ridiculousness of counting on the success of future trade deals while ‘the easiest deal in human history’ has descended into complete chaos.

#BINO

Just now, Grouse said:

Are you saying you specifically wished to leave the SM and CU or are you just saying you were aware that that would be a result of leaving?

Grouse I wished to leave the Single Market and Customs Union. I also listened too and watch David Cameron on various occasions, promise that if a vote leave won. Yes i know prime ministers lie, as we have one now.

I personally believe  and still do (we disagree on this as we discussed it in 2016) that the UK can do better on its own away from the constraints of the EU. From your own admission the EU isn't perfect. I would go further and the EU actually is holding back the UK and its economy. I know we see it differently.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Grouse I wished to leave the Single Market and Customs Union. I also listened too and watch David Cameron on various occasions, promise that if a vote leave won. Yes i know prime ministers lie, as we have one now.

I personally believe  and still do (we disagree on this as we discussed it in 2016) that the UK can do better on its own away from the constraints of the EU. From your own admission the EU isn't perfect. I would go further and the EU actually is holding back the UK and its economy. I know we see it differently.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Treeza the Apeeza in a nutshell

Just before the last election, Theresa May promised us that the EU would soon discover that she was “a bloody difficult woman”. In fact, the EU quickly realised she was a pushover; it was the British electorate that found her bloody impossible.

Where we needed clear vision, a bold strategy and strong leadership, we got muddled thinking, timidity, duplicity and vacillation.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2018/07/09/lettersbritains-brexit-impotence-legacy-theresa-mays-timidity/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

The EU is far from perfect, I have never wavered from that point of view. I suspect that in this case, the issue is changing a specification of HGVs which we don't actually manufacture. Being in the single market, all countries would need to sign up to such a regulation. We could easily have our own requirement to add additional mirrors or cameras

When some Remainers are asked the question what do you feel is wrong with the EU they either trivialize their answers and talk about crooked bananas or give no answer seeming to think the question is some sort of tripping point which will draw unanswerable criticism. I am pleased to say you do not follow that line. For that I say "Respect!"

Edited by aright

39 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Just what exactly have you got against the single market - It means that I as a small scale manufacturer can sell to 500 million people without worrying about regulations or taxes   other than my home countries.

Many people have based their businesses on this and ro rip it away suddenly throws their livelihoods  and those of their employees of the cliff too. Maybe if we had taken  10 years to change we could have adapted, but even then I think losing it  puts the UK at a competitive disadvantage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Here is 3 reasons to be against the single market.

By staying in the single market it ensures that the UK remains under the control of Brussels, under the jurisdiction of the ECJ and keeps the UK pumping £ Billions into the EU.

These seem like legitimate reasons for being against the single market.

Perhaps you would like to stump up a contribution to the £12 Billion a year, less rebate that it costs the UK to allow you to access those 500 million people ?

Here's what the CBI have to say on the matter (Not that they have the foggiest idea about business and trade).

http://www.cbi.org.uk/insight-and-analysis/our-global-future/factsheets/factsheet-2-benefits-of-eu-membership-outweigh-costs/

• Thanks 1