Chiang Rai: Rescuers make progress on day seven

rooster59

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That just doesnt make sense at all .

Navy SEALS could survive down there for a week( and a few weeks more)

The boys are presumed to be on a ledge about half way into the 10km cave 

Seems unlikely that navy seals couldn't get that far in 5 days whether its flooded or not as they have oxygen lines  tanks and lights etc that the boys didn't have

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

There might be some skeletons of people who've tried to reach the end. And they basically did reach the end. 

Yes, it's all so very tragic and upsetting, especially when it happened in a remote area hence

the delay in the rescue attempt.

1 minute ago, Ks45672 said:

The boys are presumed to be on a ledge about half way into the 10km cave 

Seems unlikely that navy seals couldn't get that far in 5 days whether its flooded or not as they have oxygen lines  tanks and lights etc that the boys didn't have

Yes they should be using oxygen lines not tanks, as the lines can also be used as a guidance back

But I think the big thing is that was mentioned prior was the force of the current ( it was practically ripping their face masks off )

& it's all presuming where they are - was there anything stopping them from going the other way (maybe unlikely they did )

4 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Yes they should be using oxygen lines not tanks, as the lines can also be used as a guidance back

But I think the big thing is that was mentioned prior was the force of the current ( it was practically ripping their face masks off )

& it's all presuming where they are - was there anything stopping them from going the other way (maybe unlikely they did )

Wouldn't air lines that long be a big risk?  One kink or snag and they're out of air.

11 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

It’s 8 days and counting. All we hear from reports are the rescue  operation is badly lacking leadership and coordination. There just too many Indian chiefs wanting their piece of limelight. The Interior Minister must step up and take charge. He is a trained soldier and he has organizational skill. Why is he so quiet. 

I don't know, but I suspect if he expected a positive outcome, then wild horses could not stop him from being closely associated with the rescue attempt.

Perhaps the reverse also applies? Perhaps he doesn't wish to be associated with a project that is expected to fail? The Thai emphasis on face and face-saving might well be a factor?

• Like 1

I really feel sorry for those kids. And worse of all they entered the caves after a day of football game which means the blood sugar levels were low. Looking at the photos of those kids they look really skinny most of them. Very little body fat to burn during starvation. The low temperature at night will bring on hypothermia what a terrifying thought.

I pray they will survive this ordeal.

In view from what is known now about the complexity of the caves the government should from now on closed the entrance during the raining season. Strong iron gate and fence build to prevent entry into the caves.

Edited by madusa
add words
  • Like 1

Just now, swanny321 said:

Doubtful, unless you're referring to actual seals utilised by the navy?

They are on dry land down there .

They have water , so, its just 7 days without food , humans can survive without food for seven days

Anyone thought about finding if there are any main sources/streams/rivers that are flowing into the cave system, then damming them or diverting them so that they can control the inflows...……….even use explosives if necessary.

One or two men in charge could have been setting these tasks of several teams and this would have stopped the previous reports of several teams going over the same ground, for example. 

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Anyone thought about finding if there are any main sources/streams/rivers that are flowing into the cave system, then damming them or diverting them so that they can control the inflows...

Nope, they didnt think about that....................

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Nope, they didnt think about that....................

And you know this how exactly?

Are you on the site co-ordinating things, perhaps you have special information about the area or just want to add to your post count?

Edited by billd766
edit for bad spelling after I had posted
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And you know this how exactly?

Are you on the site co-ordinating things, perhaps you have special information about the area or just want to add to your post count?

I think he was cynical towards an armchair detective, who thinks he is smarter than the people involved in the rescue.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They are on dry land down there .

They have water , so, its just 7 days without food , humans can survive without food for seven days

Its unlikely they all got to the ledge, bone dry

When the rain started

Even if they did, cave walls are usually wet and slimy

Imagine having to sit on a cold wet stone for 8 days in the dark..... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

‘Poor coordination in cave search leading to waste of time’

By The Nation

79fad6f6b36c3e9ce8052f2ffd3154cf.png

Lerpong Suansang, head of a search team of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department

A senior rescue official complained about the wastage of time caused by the lack of adequate coordination between several teams exploring shafts over Chiang Rai’s Tham Lung Cave.

Lerpong Suansang, head of a search team of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said there were several teams searching for shafts that could offer a passage to chambers in the cave where it is believed a 13-member football team could have been trapped.

Lerpong said several shafts had been searched that they only led to a dead-end but due to lack of coordination other teams also ended up searching the same shafts, assuming them to be new discoveries.

He said there should have been better coordination so that all the rescue teams were aware of which shafts had been searched.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30348999

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-30

Surely rescue co-ordination is the right of Government or its appointee/s. Why has this not happened?

I can understand the concern of Lerpong Suansang, head of a search team of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department.

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording

2 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Language barriers probably..... 

Whether South East Asia likes it or not English is the communication language of the world e.g. civil aviation.

What about interpreters?

Ks45672 I know you put this forward as a possibility but.... ?

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As far as I recall that was after the initial emergency help, more like after care.

I have a feeling it was some German or Dutch volunteers that were turned away - but I am not sure.

For first responders to an emergency and those asked to help should not be required to apply for work permits. I would hope this is the case for this rescue operation.

But, hate to say it, TIT. 

Edited by lvr181
Grammar correction

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As far as I recall that was after the initial emergency help, more like after care.

As far as I can recall they started enforcing that stuff 3-4 months after the tsunami and because people were turning up as volunteers with their golf clubs and going to chaing mai. People were starting to abuse the system.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As far as I can recall they started enforcing that stuff 3-4 months after the tsunami and because people were turning up as volunteers with their golf clubs and going to chaing mai. People were starting to abuse the system.

Damned "farang".  :smile:

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"A video clip showing Pol Gen Srivara questioning two officials whether they had a permission to fly a drone and drill a hole...

The deputy police chief yesterday clarified that he merely wanted everything to be done legally, claiming that there was issue about budgetary disbursement..."

sicking isn't it?

TIT. 

Perhaps he just wanted his day in the limelight and had not yet received it - childish petulance!

• Like 2