Saturday Night on Nimmanhamin===LAME!

heybruce

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Are Nimmanhaemin retailers uniting to at least try to take a little control over their area? A traffic-free day should be first on the agenda. It's going downhill fast with landlords selling out to Chinese who create shops for Chinese. Soon only cheap cosmetics, dried durian and latex pillows for sale!

My understanding is that one Thai family owns most of the land in the Nimmanhamin area (with the possible exception of soi 6, which I was told is owned by the army).  When leases expire the rent is jacked up ridiculously high and the established business has no choice but to close or relocate. 

After that someone comes in and rents at the higher price, or the land sits empty (the large building where Lism once stood has sat empty for about a year and a half).  Many of the new businesses can't cover costs and close in a year or less.  However the incredibly wealthy family that owns all the land is doing well with this system, so it has no incentive to change.

A few business (Warm Up, the Burmese restaurant on soi 8, and the Chiang Mai Housewives Club) must have signed very long leases at favorable terms.  They seem immune from the rent-rise churn.

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

Trump is in full retreat from the rest of the world, most notably Asia.  That's not fighting back.

"Donald, I value highly, your strong commitment to world peace and prosperity." --,PM Abe

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-prime-minister-abe-japan-joint-press-conference-2/

I suppose 8 years of 1.9% growth was better?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Maybe I am stupid but mostly you are talking about the new One Nimman mall area?

I do not spend a lot of time there but it seems to me there are all kinds of restaurants, coffee shops, burger joints within a few blocks of the place. New places going in, some great sushi restaurants, etc.

What's the problem seems like an ok area to hangout?

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe I am stupid but mostly you are talking about the new One Nimman mall area?

I do not spend a lot of time there but it seems to me there are all kinds of restaurants, coffee shops, burger joints within a few blocks of the place. New places going in, some great sushi restaurants, etc.

What's the problem seems like an ok area to hangout?

One Nimman is a tourist trap, with overpriced, undistinguished tourist trap restaurants and bars in the vicinity.  The heart of Nimman used to be the bars, restaurants and coffee shops, largely tucked away on the sois, frequented by young Thais, mostly university students.  That is well and truly gone; there is nothing like the late, great Blar Blar Bar in the Nimman area now.

As noted in my OP, walk around Nimman on Saturday night and try to find anything that resembles appealing nightlife.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, heybruce said:

One Nimman is a tourist trap, with overpriced, undistinguished tourist trap restaurants and bars in the vicinity.  The heart of Nimman used to be the bars, restaurants and coffee shops, largely tucked away on the sois, frequented by young Thais, mostly university students.  That is well and truly gone; there is nothing like the late, great Blar Blar Bar in the Nimman area now.

As noted in my OP, walk around Nimman on Saturday night and try to find anything that resembles appealing nightlife.

OK, I get it.

Me and my girl went to the movie at Maya then walked around Nimman ate some sushi near there and walked around and had a coffee.  It was a nice evening.

I am not a big bar person so it seems ok to me.

But, I understand then if it has changed from what you liked before. 

And yes, the Chinese love it.

34 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Getting off-topic, but Abe, like other world leaders, has figured out that Trump is a child easily swayed by flattery.  There is no indication that Trump's policies will lead to higher growth than the last seven years of Obama's Presidency (the first year was pulled way down by the Bush economic free-fall).    https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp-growth

There is every indication that the federal deficit, which Republicans screamed was too high under Obama, is sky-rocketing.

Trump was humiliated by Kim Jong Un, giving away much, most notably US-South Korea joint military exercises, and getting nothing in return.  His habit of praising dictators and insulting democratic leaders is thoroughly discrediting the US as a leader in the free world. 

Rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Justfine said:

The whole post. 

Really?  The link to the ten year GDP growth chart?  The claim that Trump canceled the US-South Korea military exercises?  The prediction that the US deficit will increase significantly?  All these are factual errors?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Brilliant idea. Imagine how the Nimman streets would liven up if there was no traffic, even for one night a week? Not holding my breath, the one way system which was in place for a while, and actually a huge relief, was cancelled as well.

Then there's the constant demolitions and renovations. It's never ending. And no longevity to speak of, only a handful of businesses are trading long enough to establish brand loyalty. 

Are Nimmanhaemin retailers uniting to at least try to take a little control over their area? A traffic-free day should be first on the agenda. It's going downhill fast with landlords selling out to Chinese who create shops for Chinese. Soon only cheap cosmetics, dried durian and latex pillows for sale!

Signage only in Chinese, how disrespectful to Thailand!

At least there are rays of hope near the Sirimangkalajarn end with some interesting restaurants and shops opening due to lower rents, but for how long?

One night would be a good start! Street Festivals would also work. 

Just went for a stroll around One Nimman after trying the food court earlier (which sucked). The rest really sucks too. You can tell that the savvy business owners there, probably Chinese, had a good look at successful concepts in Chiang Mai and tried to copy, obviously not to the same standard. 

Check out Ginger Farm Kitchen. For me a clear knock-off of places like Woo Cafe & Rustic Blue (to name just two), but with fake plants and Chinese tourist eating overpriced shit food. The vibe seemed completely off, busy, chaotic, with lots of uneaten food and uncleared plates. 

Edited by Bassosa
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Just went for a stroll around One Nimman after trying the food court earlier (which sucked). The rest really sucks too. You can tell that the savvy business owners there, probably Chinese, had a good look at successful concepts in Chiang Mai and tried to copy, obviously not to the same standard. 

Check out Ginger Farm Kitchen. For me a clear knock-off of places like Woo Cafe & Rustic Blue (to name just two), but with fake plants and Chinese tourist eating overpriced shit food. The vibe seemed completely off, busy, chaotic, with lots of uneaten food and uncleared plates. 

I just told you a good restaurant to eat it.

What does the OP expect? It is after all Chiang Mai, the most boring tourist city ( possibly ) on the planet. The authorities obviously want everyone to visit temples in the daytime, eat out and go to bed before midnight. They have done a great job of preventing anyone having a good time, like one can have in Pattaya, Bangkok or possibly in Patong.

Lamphun has a more exciting night life, so that's really saying something.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What does the OP expect? It is after all Chiang Mai, the most boring tourist city ( possibly ) on the planet. The authorities obviously want everyone to visit temples in the daytime, eat out and go to bed before midnight. They have done a great job of preventing anyone having a good time, like one can have in Pattaya, Bangkok or possibly in Patong.

Lamphun has a more exciting night life, so that's really saying something.

Udon has more nightlife than CM....and is much smaller...mom and pops sell all night if there are customers...BiB keep right on going.