Enforcement

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Maybe they are some of the few people who don't think it's their personal road and thus leave some space so the motorbikes can stop in front?

No, this is not the reason, the motorbikes wait at the most left hand side, so you're wrong - try again....

I don't think it's my personal road btw, i stop at the line coz that's where you're suppose to stop.....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

Another thing that baffles me is a lights, some of them seem to stop as much as 2-3 meters away from the line, what's all that about. Is it because they see their bonnet reaching the line???

I have done that when visiting Canada because the left turn advance green signal is triggered by a loop for the third car in the queue. Here not so much.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Maybe they are some of the few people who don't think it's their personal road and thus leave some space so the motorbikes can stop in front?

Front of the grid sometimes needs extra space.

pole.jpg.6c7d23f121830228943ebd1ebc9cbe20.jpg

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why do you think so? I like to drive fast myself, but when looking at it objectively it's probably too fast.

I don't know where exactly the cameras are, but if it's the part of Phetkasem road that's inside Bangkok: In for example Germany such a road would have a speed limit of 50km/h, so 90km/h is quite high.

Some people say that when you have unpaid tickets you can't pay the annual tax for your vehicle, other people say that's not true. I don't know what the truth about this is (probably also depends on where you got the ticket and where you pay the tax), but your wife will probably figure it out the next time she has to pay the tax.

True that 90 is already fast, even if I often drive there at 130.

But compared to EU and US, fines are so cheap, so who cares !?

Wife go to  speeding ticket sent in mail picture of car speed etc.  She has t paid yet.  BUT China has same camera system for many offenses including parking. People who didn’t pay when time to renew have to pay fine and penalty or no renewal. In the big picture it may slow down a lot of offenders. 

One section in Singapore by airport. Two cameras a long length of the runway. So if you think slow down for camera the. Go and slow down again....nope it also calculates how quickly you got to the other end

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why do you think so? I like to drive fast myself, but when looking at it objectively it's probably too fast.

I don't know where exactly the cameras are, but if it's the part of Phetkasem road that's inside Bangkok: In for example Germany such a road would have a speed limit of 50km/h, so 90km/h is quite high.

Some people say that when you have unpaid tickets you can't pay the annual tax for your vehicle, other people say that's not true. I don't know what the truth about this is (probably also depends on where you got the ticket and where you pay the tax), but your wife will probably figure it out the next time she has to pay the tax.

Here, not in town most is 3  lanes 

phetkasem.jpg

8 hours ago, JaiLai said:

yeah mate, i'm sure i've seen a few other roads throughout Thailand with the same thing.

I normally drive 130-140kmph when conditions permit, i don't care about the cameras for reasons already mentioned however if there were a points system in place that could be enforced and managed correctly with the penalty of losing my license i would adjust my driving.

For me the bigger issue is driver education, so many drivers who've never had proper education or training, some of the driving in rural Thailand is shocking, just watch them attempt to park...

Another thing that baffles me is a lights, some of them seem to stop as much as 2-3 meters away from the line, what's all that about. Is it because they see their bonnet reaching the line???

example 1 

34844035_1770771639625088_1408636701995171840_n.jpg

The hi way on the last 150 into Krabi is deserted lately since the increased flights to the area, at 3 in the morning you can go for easily one hour, full ultra bright hi beams, nothing in opposite lane driving towards you, no wife in passenger seat, zoom past 200 and your in a world of freedom again, deserted Autobahn memories return and then  all yer benzine's gone, and yer back to reality again.!..Lifes a Bitch. Drive safe to conditions Not Signs, often they are not low enough either...:partytime2:

14 hours ago, moe666 said:

Why are you worried about where the cameras are on a recent trip from CM to BKK to Kanchanaburi plenty of warning signs of camera zone. Didn't recieve any ticketa in the mail

Well watch out in Sukhothai & Phitsanulok some speed limit information boards have camera signs, some have separate camera signs, some don't That's I got done.

82 in a 70 that's 12 k over aprox 7 mph I know not the UK but in UK at least they allow 10 speedo error or use to. ?

9 hours ago, gaff said:

True that 90 is already fast, even if I often drive there at 130.

But compared to EU and US, fines are so cheap, so who cares !?

OK you don't care about getting banned from driving then.?

14 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

If you were back in the UK and disagreed with a speed limit and decided not to pay the fine what would happen

I'll answer that, you would end up in a fair court where you could contest and question the evidence if you know or think it's an error. 

In UK 30 mph is normally the lowest speed 48 kph.

The UK speed camera's are calibrated in a fairer way and tolerant.

Further to your question in Thailand you can have the find doubled for non payment of first fine, you then can have your vehicle impounded, and they can revoke your licence until you take another full test.

I drive 90 KPH on the open highways and find that is just about as safely as most Thai drivers can drive without killing themselves and putting everyone else around them in imminent danger.  And I maintain that speed so I have some options to avoid the real asinine fools out there and their bizarre, unpredictable, and ignorantly nonsensical driving and have the time to employ defensive driving tactics.  That includes you foreigners who are driving beyond your own abilities to avoid other morons like those passing on blind curves without shoulders, on blind hills, or just losing control the the vehicles that most of them can't safely drive in the first place. In the US, in Europe - different story.  Thailand - the roads and drivers can't handle the roads even at 90 KPH.
Who they need to really hammer with fines and arrest if necessary are individuals who are driving in such a foolish and aggressive manner that they truly put everyone on the roads in dangers.  That means enforcing laws, putting teeth into law enforcement and penalties, and then working on driver education, i.e.,  taking someone with a third-world mentality and drastically upgrade their skill levels for the first-world vehicles that they drive.

5 hours ago, connda said:

I drive 90 KPH on the open highways and find that is just about as safely as most Thai drivers can drive without killing themselves and putting everyone else around them in imminent danger.  And I maintain that speed so I have some options to avoid the real asinine fools out there and their bizarre, unpredictable, and ignorantly nonsensical driving and have the time to employ defensive driving tactics.  That includes you foreigners who are driving beyond your own abilities to avoid other morons like those passing on blind curves without shoulders, on blind hills, or just losing control the the vehicles that most of them can't safely drive in the first place. In the US, in Europe - different story.  Thailand - the roads and drivers can't handle the roads even at 90 KPH.
Who they need to really hammer with fines and arrest if necessary are individuals who are driving in such a foolish and aggressive manner that they truly put everyone on the roads in dangers.  That means enforcing laws, putting teeth into law enforcement and penalties, and then working on driver education, i.e.,  taking someone with a third-world mentality and drastically upgrade their skill levels for the first-world vehicles that they drive.

Read your last 3 lines and remember where you are - good luck with that....

9 hours ago, connda said:

That means enforcing laws, putting teeth into law enforcement and penalties, and then working on driver education, i.e.,  taking someone with a third-world mentality and drastically upgrade their skill levels for the first-world vehicles that they drive.

55555555555555555555555555+

Another thing is on my Wifes  ticket that she got cancelled by her plod friend it a  FRONT view of the car, motorbikes only have a rear number plate here, are  all cameras only front facing here?

And  are they capable of  taking the photo at night  as I never see the "gatso" type  flash of a camera here?

I downloaded an app to show camera positions that seems to work quite well using just gps  from the playstore.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.chaidev.speedlimit

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Flash was for cameras with film, now everything is digital so doesn't need a flash.

?? how does the camera  see me at night? infra red  flash? dont see how it can take your photo without ir flash which i dont see here?

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Flash was for cameras with film, now everything is digital so doesn't need a flash.

My smartphone is digital

It needs a flash in the dark

Haven't bought a roll of film for it yet.... ?

10 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

They do flash..but most thick heads have so much tint they cant see it.emoji85.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Front Flashing? I dont have tint on my front windscreen and the lightest one available on the others, stuff does  bugger  all anyway

9 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

My smartphone is digital

It needs a flash in the dark

Haven't bought a roll of film for it yet.... ?

Exactly my  point, so at night..........do they have an IR  Flash? as I dont  think so, rendering them useless at night. In the  Uk they now have a LARGE separate IR flash unit next to the cameras for full nightime visibility.

I Mostly travel late at night to avoid traffic ie 2-3am.and are they ALL front facing as Wifes  tickets were front  facing and daytime

1 hour ago, kannot said:

Exactly my  point, so at night..........do they have an IR  Flash? as I dont  think so, rendering them useless at night. In the  Uk they now have a LARGE separate IR flash unit next to the cameras for full nightime visibility.

I Mostly travel late at night to avoid traffic ie 2-3am.and are they ALL front facing as Wifes  tickets were front  facing and daytime

Info from the web says ALPR cameras have built in or external IR illumination and use varying forms of special sensors and control electronics to avoid over exposure from car lights.

alpr.jpg.d09dabd186fbe758eae9ea90467a44fc.jpg

Archived