Enforcement

Seems  like the new speed camera signs and cameras are now up an running in the Phetkasem road  certainly from Pranburi to BKK anyway.

Aside from the insanely low speeds of 90km/h which actually does nothing to stop tailgaters racers and weavers, u turn suicides etc they are now in full swing.

Wifes had 2  tickets in a  week off them, there is  no lee way, they must be issuing millions of tickets thats for sure as virtually no one does 90km/h certainly on the three lane section.

She paid the first one 500 baht and then the second arrived she  called our policeman friend quite high up in Phrakanong and his advice................... dont pay it!!!?

I know new rules are coming next year with points  etc but they seriously  need to  take a look at whats often ridiculously LOW limits on major  roads and concentrate more on the pure crap driving as I mentioned.....of course cameras wont spot weavers,  hard shoulder drivers nearing junctions, u turn morons, tail gaters etc...that requires PLOD and CARS actually out on the roads.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, kannot said:

ridiculously LOW limits

Why do you think so? I like to drive fast myself, but when looking at it objectively it's probably too fast.

I don't know where exactly the cameras are, but if it's the part of Phetkasem road that's inside Bangkok: In for example Germany such a road would have a speed limit of 50km/h, so 90km/h is quite high.

Some people say that when you have unpaid tickets you can't pay the annual tax for your vehicle, other people say that's not true. I don't know what the truth about this is (probably also depends on where you got the ticket and where you pay the tax), but your wife will probably figure it out the next time she has to pay the tax.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why do you think so? I like to drive fast myself, but when looking at it objectively it's probably too fast.

I don't know where exactly the cameras are, but if it's the part of Phetkasem road that's inside Bangkok: In for example Germany such a road would have a speed limit of 50km/h, so 90km/h is quite high.

Some people say that when you have unpaid tickets you can't pay the annual tax for your vehicle, other people say that's not true. I don't know what the truth about this is (probably also depends on where you got the ticket and where you pay the tax), but your wife will probably figure it out the next time she has to pay the tax.

I have to agree that 90km/h is a respectable speed. In the developed country where I live, our top speed limit is 100, and that's on a major highway. Serious efforts to reduce road carnage will require some serious rethinking of speed limits.

90 km/hr can be too slow for a 3-4 lane superhighway. It can be way too fast for a single carriageway with poor road conditions, or when the rain is torrential. My speed is partly dictated by speed limits, and mostly by a desire to survive.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

90 km/hr can be too slow for a 3-4 lane superhighway.

The "superhighway" in Thailand is called Motorway or Expressway, and afaik the speed limit on these is 120km/h. Phetkasem road is no "superhighway"

I ever pay any tickets, straight in the bin, been doing it for years ( same as most Thais I’d expect )

Never had problems taxing cars. I believe there is no link between highway dept and land and transport dept.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have received a camera fine for speeding. I gave it to my uncle (police boss in our city) and he got me off it, but said he can only do it if the fine is in our province (the small fine probably isn't worth the hassle of contacting friends in other provinces). However, he also tells us where the speed cameras are and and which lanes to drive in to avoid getting done. He seems to think to avoid the fine, get him to help, or pay the fine is best - ignoring the fine wasn't advisable. I think an amendment was made not too long ago to try and force people to pay the fine or end up in court. However, like many laws here, these things are sometimes enforced and sometimes not. 

I would have to clarify, but most likely it is probably pure laziness of writing warning letters and taking the matter to court - which I think needs to occur to stop the tax for the next year. However, every now and then you will get someone fresh out who hasn't been corrupted yet that may handle your case. Probably where the advice to pay the fine comes from. Also would need to clarify, but I wonder if it prevents you from unrelated successful dealings with the police on other issues. For example, I lost my work permit and needed the police to sign a form. Would they have done it if I hadn't dealt with the fine? Not sure, would have to check.. 

3 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I have received a camera fine for speeding. I gave it to my uncle (police boss in our city) and he got me off it, but said he can only do it if the fine is in our province (the small fine probably isn't worth the hassle of contacting friends in other provinces). However, he also tells us where the speed cameras are and and which lanes to drive in to avoid getting done. He seems to think to avoid the fine, get him to help, or pay the fine is best - ignoring the fine wasn't advisable. I think an amendment was made not too long ago to try and force people to pay the fine or end up in court. However, like many laws here, these things are sometimes enforced and sometimes not. 

I would have to clarify, but most likely it is probably pure laziness of writing warning letters and taking the matter to court - which I think needs to occur to stop the tax for the next year. However, every now and then you will get someone fresh out who hasn't been corrupted yet that may handle your case. Probably where the advice to pay the fine comes from. Also would need to clarify, but I wonder if it prevents you from unrelated successful dealings with the police on other issues. For example, I lost my work permit and needed the police to sign a form. Would they have done it if I hadn't dealt with the fine? Not sure, would have to check.. 

There some poverty struck ferangs loose here, just man up, pay the piddling fine, why pester others with your mistake.

16 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

There some poverty struck ferangs loose here, just man up, pay the piddling fine, why pester others with your mistake.

Completely different culture here with family. When I first arrived in the country I drove the Mrs car and the sticker was out of date. I got the paper fine from the police as I knew paying the legal fine at least a percentage would go back into the community. However, when going to get my license back the secretary of my uncle said why didn't you just call your uncle when they stopped you. What is seen as 'pestering' back home, is seen as 'stupid' here if you do not do it. It is more of a hassle to fight them not to pay the fine than to have them deal with it. 

Which is what is wrong with the country. 

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

I ever pay any tickets, straight in the bin, been doing it for years ( same as most Thais I’d expect )

Never had problems taxing cars. I believe there is no link between highway dept and land and transport dept.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is now

Police have a dedicated counter in bkk dlt 

The one on sukhumvit Rd after on nut

37 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

"I have received a camera fine for speeding. I gave it to my uncle (police boss in our city) and he got me off it..."

You refer to your work permit so, as a farang also, I wish I had an uncle who is a Police Chief in Thailand, how does that work?

7 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"I have received a camera fine for speeding. I gave it to my uncle (police boss in our city) and he got me off it..."

You refer to your work permit so, as a farang also, I wish I had an uncle who is a Police Chief in Thailand, how does that work?

It's called marriage, god awful thing..... 

6 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

It's called marriage, god awful thing..... 

I did think of that but that wouldn't make a Thai person his uncle, it would mean his wife had an uncle "who is police boss".  My ex's uncle never became my uncle.

52 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Not to mention the debt you incur whenever you accept a favor in the Eastern culture.  I have rarely been the recipient of an Asian favor that didn't end up costing me a lot more than handling things myself, or paying someone to do it.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I did think of that but that wouldn't make a Thai person his uncle, it would mean his wife had an uncle "who is police boss".  My ex's uncle never became my uncle.

Every one of my nieces' and nephews' spouses call me "Uncle Impulse" when they first marry into the family back home.  It's a term of respect.

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

Every one of my nieces' and nephews' spouses call me "Uncle Impulse" when they first marry into the family back home.  It's a term of respect.

I am aware of that term of respect.  He said his uncle was "police boss", two different things.

Just now, Just Weird said:
25 minutes ago, impulse said:

I am aware of that term of respect.  He said his uncle was "police boss", two different things.

No.  I looked again at the circumstances.  It's exactly the same thing, if his wife's uncle is a Police Boss.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It's not, they're two very different things.  His wife's uncle is not his uncle!

But some people call it like that....... 

When you get married you get a father in law

His brother is often known as "uncle" 

18 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:
53 minutes ago, impulse said:

And a few other things.!!

I didn't say I had earned that respect.  It's like calling someone "Sir" because he can fire me, whether I actually respect him or not.  When in doubt, err on the side of caution.

53 minutes ago, impulse said:

You wish, it's about old age. :laugh:

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I believe there is no link between highway dept and land and transport dept.

Used to be the same in British Columbia UNTIL you paid the first ticket, then bingo got ya!

If it is the case here it is because they won't share databases.

How can they enforce motoring fines when there is no data base, they haven’t a clue who owns and drives what in this country. I purchased a bike years ago from a yank who was leaving the country cash in hand. Have no trouble legally taxing it every year they never check my I.D. against the green book. So they would be looking for son of a gun from Arizona rag time cowboy Joe.

Archived