Enforcement

16 minutes ago, Sprigger said:

How can they enforce motoring fines when there is no data base, they haven’t a clue who owns and drives what in this country. I purchased a bike years ago from a yank who was leaving the country cash in hand. Have no trouble legally taxing it every year they never check my I.D. against the green book. So they would be looking for son of a gun from Arizona rag time cowboy Joe.

One can expect a few Border Run types to evade most rules.!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can they enforce motoring fines when there is no data base, they haven’t a clue who owns and drives what in this country. I purchased a bike years ago from a yank who was leaving the country cash in hand. Have no trouble legally taxing it every year they never check my I.D. against the green book. So they would be looking for son of a gun from Arizona rag time cowboy Joe.

This is spot on, My wife has 2 vehicles registered in the wife’s name on a tabian baan of where she no longer lives.

She now lives in another province with a different tabian baan.

As this chap says they have no idea who owns what or lives where in this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The bottom line to all this is that they are moving in the direction that it will all be tied together.  The fact that they are looking at points is the first clue. 

As to what can happen the system in Ontario Canda is that they send the ticket to the address on your ownership.  If there is no response it goes to court if you do not show at court you are charged and given x days.  at the end of x days, your driver's license is suspended.  At that point, if you are stopped by police then you automatically lose whatever you are driving and it is towed away.  OH yeah, and they notify the insurance company so try getting any insurance.

As to speed limits, I wonder where the OP is from if he is real.  I know of no country that has city streets in excess of 50 kph.  If there is a major highway that is different and in Canad they had it 100.  

If you are driving at a reasonable speed then you can react to dumb drivers. 

I commend the Thais for the cameras and the first steps.  Let's face it Bangkok was not built in a day it is going to take time to get everything working properly.

52 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

"She paid the first one 500 baht"

You answered your own question.....

"Are speed tickets actually enforced"?

how is that "enforced" she paid by online banking I think she was not forced to pay. The ticket was received in the post not a roadside stop.

Since found out that the second one she got was cancelled by her friend in the Police and  he did not  tell her to ignore it.

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

The bottom line to all this is that they are moving in the direction that it will all be tied together.  The fact that they are looking at points is the first clue. 

As to what can happen the system in Ontario Canda is that they send the ticket to the address on your ownership.  If there is no response it goes to court if you do not show at court you are charged and given x days.  at the end of x days, your driver's license is suspended.  At that point, if you are stopped by police then you automatically lose whatever you are driving and it is towed away.  OH yeah, and they notify the insurance company so try getting any insurance.

As to speed limits, I wonder where the OP is from if he is real.  I know of no country that has city streets in excess of 50 kph.  If there is a major highway that is different and in Canad they had it 100.  

I commend the Thais for the cameras and the first steps.  Let's face it Bangkok was not built in a day it is going to take time to get everything working properly.

Im the OP with 11000 posts I think im pretty  real???..let me just go look in the mirror...yep thats ME!

I never mentioned "city streets" this is the main trunk road Pranburi To  BKK 

Im from the UK a  road like Phetkasem would have on 3  lanes a 70 MPH limit as its Dual Carriageway thats  112kph even on 2  lanes dual carriageway it would be the same, the only downer is it should NOT have U turns on them.

If it was  single lane it would be  60mph thats 96kmh in the UK

ALL of these are NOT in town but on the open highways.

Instead it has a limit of  just 90kmh in Thailand way too low for cars or at least they should grade it like the Uk for Lorries  coaches and cars separately. Lorries usually 60mph 100kmh in the UK depends on size.

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why do you think so? I like to drive fast myself, but when looking at it objectively it's probably too fast.

I don't know where exactly the cameras are, but if it's the part of Phetkasem road that's inside Bangkok: In for example Germany such a road would have a speed limit of 50km/h, so 90km/h is quite high.

Some people say that when you have unpaid tickets you can't pay the annual tax for your vehicle, other people say that's not true. I don't know what the truth about this is (probably also depends on where you got the ticket and where you pay the tax), but your wife will probably figure it out the next time she has to pay the tax.

I dont mean "inside" Bangkok Im  talking the main TRUNK road from Pranburi to BKK ie out in the country. I would never think to drive at 90kmh in town, its 3  lanes wide and separate carriageways for a lot of it.

9 hours ago, neeray said:

I have to agree that 90km/h is a respectable speed. In the developed country where I live, our top speed limit is 100, and that's on a major highway. Serious efforts to reduce road carnage will require some serious rethinking of speed limits.

Speed is not the real cause though is it, look more at the tail gating, lane changing, no signals, no  looking, no thinking driving  all night on meth amphetamine and pure selfishness.

I do realise that speed  will increase the severity but id say its far from the real cause, put it this way swerving in and out at either 90 or 120  will most likely get the same result.

Look at the U turns also not much speed involved there for the car  pulling out, the problem is they dont know how to accelerate, they think pull out real REAL slow and everyone will see them when often if they floored it and accelerated there would be no problem as theyd be doing the same speed as you, instead  dawdle  out and everyone has to slow right down, which leads to the tailgate ramming into the back of you, 90 or 120 same result.

Lorries now using all 3  lanes, no enforcement ,all should be banned in the two outer lanes along with those giant buses or  buses only two lanes with the third for cars only  UNLESS you "really" are turning right which many dont do they just stick the indicator on  and "pretend" they will be turning right..........in 20km maybe.

The main problem is not the speed most is  pure lack of attention and zero skill/education.

Yeah camera's up and running all around Sukhothai and Phitsanulok.

Agree speed limits are very low in some places which causes grouping off traffic not a good thing IMO.

A wide not really busy 4 lane road with a wide yellow marked centre is 70 km limit got a picture for doing 82 km allegedly.

What annoyed me was there were no signs saying it was enforced by camera like they do in most places. 

23 minutes ago, kannot said:

Im the OP with 11000 posts I think im pretty  real???..let me just go look in the mirror...yep thats ME!

I never mentioned "city streets" this is the main trunk road Pranburi To  BKK 

Im from the UK a  road like Phetkasem would have on 3  lanes a 70 MPH limit as its Dual Carriageway thats  112kph even on 2  lanes dual carriageway it would be the same, the only downer is it should NOT have U turns on them.

If it was  single lane it would be  60mph thats 96kmh in the UK

ALL of these are NOT in town but on the open highways.

Instead it has a limit of  just 90kmh in Thailand way too low for cars or at least they should grade it like the Uk for Lorries  coaches and cars separately. Lorries usually 60mph 100kmh in the UK depends on size.

how much is 90kmh in mph?

24 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Cameras do NOTHING to stop those loony weavers, the ones who use the hard  shoulder ( emergency lane) as their own personal road, tailgaters, phone users, bogey pickers ,drink swillers, make up appliers etc etc

These are the  ones they really need to stop the ones that leave devastation behind them, this needs an active police patrol car force although some of those white  line cameras can help.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah camera's up and running all around Sukhothai and Phitsanulok.

Agree speed limits are very low in some places which causes grouping off traffic not a good thing IMO.

A wide not really busy 4 lane road with a wide yellow marked centre is 70 km limit got a picture for doing 82 km allegedly.

What annoyed me was there were no signs saying it was enforced by camera like they do in most places. 

Driven to Pattaya today from BKK km after km almost  NO speed  signs  telling me the speed, then when there were some  one sign said 90 the others with camera picture said 120 and this was often repeated............Im thinking???? whats the speed?

5 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Up to you - lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah the problem is if they really enforce what you gonna  do when  youre  doing 120 and they say its 90?, saw many signs like this today on that "7" road.

Also in the Uk they have to calibrate those cameras and if  it hasnt been checked at the correct times your  ticket is cancelled....any checks done here?

10 minutes ago, kannot said:

Yeah the problem is if they really enforce what you gonna  do when  youre  doing 120 and they say its 90?, saw many signs like this today on that "7" road.

Also in the Uk they have to calibrate those cameras and if  it hasnt been checked at the correct times your  ticket is cancelled....any checks done here?

You could just drive at 90 to be sure, although that's incredible slow on a lot of the roads here.

The calibration factor is an interesting point, i'd doubt there done at regular intervals. 

Would actually be surprised if the Thai highway police would even understand the principal of calibration, doubt it...

54 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I know of no country that has city streets in excess of 50 kph. 

Never been to Bangkok then? 

img_0818.jpg

Doesn't matter really as one cannot do much more than 60 because of traffic but it does mean we can drive anywhere without constantly looking over our proverbial shoulder. 

I find all this amusing. For years all the Thai bashers have and still are moaning about driving and habits and how traffic laws are not enforced and how the get stopped and conned for a little tea money. Now they have started to complain about the police enforcing speed limits and issuing real money tickets.

Driven to Pattaya today from BKK km after km almost  NO speed  signs  telling me the speed, then when there were some  one sign said 90 the others with camera picture said 120 and this was often repeated............Im thinking???? whats the speed?

Speed limit on the Motorway is 120 kph except for a short section near Bangkok which has a number of steep klong bridges where the limit is signed at 90. When in doubt just follow everyone else. Of course when you enter the municipality of Bangkok the limit drops to the city wide 80 kph limit again just follow everyone else. 

Like everything else the cops have to start somewhere.  Speeding cameras are the best thing as they remove the officer looking for tea money out of the picture.

As for the other driving offenses yeah they are a pain in the asset.  BUT again you have to start somewhere.  You may be a great driver and aware of what happens n wet roads or at night however, it is safe to say that many Thais are not.  Anything that keeps the speed down is a godsend.  

My question OP is this.

If you were back in the UK and disagreed with a speed limit and decided not to pay the fine what would happen.

You may like some of us lived here for a long time but no matter what we are visitors to this country.  If your wife thinks it is wrong then she should complain about those in charge when she pays the ticket.  I realize that the other solution of just driving the speed limit might not work.

16 minutes ago, kannot said:

funniest part was two of them were insight of each other!!

yeah mate, i'm sure i've seen a few other roads throughout Thailand with the same thing.

I normally drive 130-140kmph when conditions permit, i don't care about the cameras for reasons already mentioned however if there were a points system in place that could be enforced and managed correctly with the penalty of losing my license i would adjust my driving.

For me the bigger issue is driver education, so many drivers who've never had proper education or training, some of the driving in rural Thailand is shocking, just watch them attempt to park...

Another thing that baffles me is a lights, some of them seem to stop as much as 2-3 meters away from the line, what's all that about. Is it because they see their bonnet reaching the line???

12 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Another thing that baffles me is a lights, some of them seem to stop as much as 2-3 meters away from the line, what's all that about. Is it because they see their bonnet reaching the line???

Maybe they are some of the few people who don't think it's their personal road and thus leave some space so the motorbikes can stop in front?

Archived