Chonburi: Woman cyclist killed in suspected hit-and-run case

webfact

Woman cyclist killed in suspected hit-and-run case

By The Nation

cb.jpg

FILE photo//Google maps

A woman was found dead on a Chon Buri Road in a suspected case of hit and run early on Monday.

Two motorists alerted Samed Police Station in Muang district at 3.30am that a bicycle wreckage and a woman's body were found on the Bang Saen-bound Sukhumvit Road in a short distance before Wat Charoonrat in Moo 1 of Tambon Huay Kapi.

The two motorists spotted the body, called police and waited at the scene.

The woman appeared to be around 50 years old.

Police believe the bicyclist might have been hit by a car and she might have been run over by another car and both had fled the scene.

The two motorists, who called police, also admitted they had run over the body. They were identified as Sakthat Samerwong, 25, and Porchai Nitinai, 31.

Police have yet to check footage of security camera to find the ones responsible for the woman's death.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349100

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-02

1 hour ago, flyingtlger said:

Just proves that Thailand has some of the most unsafest and dangerous roads in the world....

...I know what you mean....IMHO Thailand has quite good roads. 

Really, there is no excuse for the abysmal standard of driving and the attitude of those using the roads.

14 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Don't be too quick to condemn the motorists involved. Did the dead woman's bicycle have lights? 

She was hit by one "motorist" and afterwards run over by three other "motorists".

1 hour ago, Expatthailover said:

Uk has worse stats than thailand for hit and run.

I hope you cite a reference for this claim.

It could contribute to a more useful discussion.

With regard to distribution of road traffic deaths by type of road user, the UK did have a higher percentage of cyclist deaths than Thailand (by my judgement comparing pie charts) by a factor of 300%. But then total UK road traffic deaths was only about 7.5% of Thailand's total road deaths.

http://www.who.int/gho/road_safety/mortality/traffic_deaths_distribution/en/

So it might follow (or not) from such data that the UK having a much smaller incidence of cyclist deaths compared to Thailand that the UK would also have a much smaller incidence of hit and run.

No where could I find in my search a breakdown of cyclist deaths by "hit and run."

UKBike.JPG

ThaiBike.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Human scum!!

More than likely no rear safety light on bicycle and who rides a bicycle in the middle of the night. I do not like to drive my car after dark let along ride my scooter.

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Don't be too quick to condemn the motorists involved. Did the dead woman's bicycle have lights?  If it did she was a rare exception to the rule.

I've lost count of the number of cyclists - and motorcyclists - I've seen riding lightless, and often in dark clothing that renders them virtually invisible on all but very well lit roads.

Every time I drive at night, and I do mean every time, I see scores of bikes without rear lights, many of therm without any lights at all.  Not sure in this case of course, but if these others got hit , they would have been the cause of their own misfortune. 

RIP to her, the  shameful actions of the motorists mean little to her now. The motorists have to live with the disgrace of leaving her mortally injured or dead.
Remorse is not a common emotion in most of Thailand.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vacuum said:

She was hit by one "motorist" and afterwards run over by three other "motorists".

. . .who probably couldn't see the body in the dark and thought that they had just hit a bump or pothole. You surely aren't implying that they knew they had run over another human and didn't care?

On 7/2/2018 at 1:26 PM, Emster23 said:

I doubt this was suicide, and as no driver hung around, why use term "suspected" with hit and run?

the drivers who found the body ran her over...

so the woman might well have had a heart attack causing her to fall from the bike and fall, and she may have died without being hit by anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

. . .who probably couldn't see the body in the dark and thought that they had just hit a bump or pothole. You surely aren't implying that they knew they had run over another human and didn't care?

The first and second motorists did a runner so one can assume that they did not give a @%&*

The second two who also ran over the body did care because they reported the whereabouts of the body and stayed at the scene

They informed the police that they had also run over the body

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Sorry, I forgot it happened in Thailand, where the use of headlights is infrequent.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1