What is on my wall? Can't be rodent feces but sort of looks like it

AlphaCanadian

Please see the picture......

I've had rodents (different home) in the past. 

This sort of looks like rodent feces but it cannot be (a rodent would not be able to climb up on a wall surface like that).

What could it be?

Not concerned, just curious.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20180702_104559.jpg

They're case moth larvae.  We didn't have any sign of them for 10 years, but then for the last 10 we can't get rid of them.  They're merely annoying......if you see them crawling up the wall, roll them slightly with your finger and they'll die.  Or vac vac vac any sign of them several times over the course of a few months.  That should diminish the population.....but probably won't get rid of the remnants.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/592071-how-to-get-rid-of-case-bearing-moth-larvae/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bobbin said:

moth larva, 100%.

thanks!!!

There is a little here and there and it does not seem to be spreading.

Any idea if it is cause for concern?

I've heard that moth larva can destroy your clothes (I will keep an eye out for holes and keep my clothes and home clean).

Wonder if there is anything else that I could or should do.

4 minutes ago, bobbin said:

moth larva, 100%.

however the pix shows the pupae's cover, whereas you might be confusing with the similar colur, but not quite the shape of the wings of the typical 'panty moth

a typical pantry moth larvae:

Image result for pantry moth and when one of these typically cocoon - you'll see lots of silky web sheeting abound

Edited by tifino

2 minutes ago, AlphaCanadian said:

thanks!!!

There is a little here and there and it does not seem to be spreading.

Any idea if it is cause for concern?

I've heard that moth larva can destroy your clothes (I will keep an eye out for holes and keep my clothes and home clean).

Wonder if there is anything else that I could or should do.

goldfish, and all their little friend variants simply engorge themselves on these larvae!

we have a constant supply for fattening the fish!

Not those kind of moths.. The reason I am 100% sure is.. I can spot them several meters away. I pick them off the wall and throw them outside. Otherwise, they continue to go as high as they can, usually the ceiling, where they hatch out and leave the casing hang there forever..

5 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Not those kind of moths.. The reason I am 100% sure is.. I can spot them several meters away. I pick them off the wall and throw them outside. Otherwise, they continue to go as high as they can, usually the ceiling, where they hatch out and leave the casing hang there forever..

what about this?

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/631354-name-of-insects-that-attach-themselves-to-ceilings-and-walls-in-home/?tab=comments#comment-6279005

household_casebearer01.jpg

15 hours ago, kokesaat said:

They're case moth larvae.  We didn't have any sign of them for 10 years, but then for the last 10 we can't get rid of them

I've actually been wondering what they were for the last 10 years. Thanks 555 

I moved into a house in Chiang Mai and the garage wall was covered in case moth larvae.

Later, a small hedge was all but stripped bare by the larvae. I'd sure hate them to get into my clothing cupboards.

I bought a reasonably safe bug killer and sprayed the hedge and vacuumed the larvae on the walls before they could do any more damage.  I'm surprised the geckoes weren't interested in them.

35 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:
1 hour ago, seancbk said:

edited.  Wrong info.

I love it when someone "100 ‰ right" is 100%,wrong. 555

Happy to admit when I'm wrong.  Fact is I have lots of these and lots of geckos, however I've never seen any moths, so it seemed logical that these were being left by the geckos and not by unseen moths.   I can only guess that the geckos are doing their job and eating the moths before I see them!

The closeup of the 'pouch' with a little grub showed me I was wrong.

• Like 1

@armadillo215

It's not a silverfish.  Silverfish are certainly around, and they are amazing insects, the only ones I am aware of which are known to downsize themselves to conserve energy when food sources are low (I took a university entomology course).  Silverfish, however, do not make a habit of hanging around on people's walls.  You will rarely see them, as they like to stay hidden.  In my insect collection I had both a silverfish and a jumping bristletail (Microcoryphia).  They are fun to find, but you don't want to find them indoors as they can definitely be destructive of books, cardboard, clothes, etc. 

The photo provided in the OP here was not of this order.  It is that of a casebearer, as I posted earlier.

For those interested in eliminating silverfish, ants, cockroaches, etc. (and it would probably not harm the casebearers, as they have a different diet), mix a little boric acid with some sugar, soak some tissue paper in it for the silverfish, and just put it out as-is for the others, and when they eat it the boric acid breaks down their exoskeleton, causing them to dehydrate and die.  More information can be found online regarding boric acid.  In Thailand, an outfit called Northern Chemical Supply in Chiangmai sells the pure boric acid powder, and there may be other good sources around as well.  I have used the boric acid to good effect, but I leave the casebearers alone.  They haven't bothered me at all.