Thai boys trapped in cave to be given 4 months of food and taught how to dive

webfact

1 hour ago, balo said:

Stupid question I know but is it possible to light a fire down there to cook food or will the smoke be too much ? 4 months is a long time , but with plenty of battery operated lights they can live in the cave for a long time.

When I was in the RAF we used to get composition rations (including toilrt paper) and small burners using "hexamine blocks" to cook on. That however was done outside. I am not sure if it would be a good idea in a cave with a limited air supply and cooking fumes. A good idea though.

If the rescuers could run a power cable to where the kids are they could use rechargeable led lighting.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Yes I do have full faith in the rescue team that has done this well to get to this point, but after reading the 4 month food supply idea. I lost a little bit of that faith mate..

The four month food supply is a very sensible contingency plan.  Let's say unbelievably heavy and continuous rains come and the no new supplies can be brought in - it took them 10 days to reach there this time, it could be longer next time if conditions get worse.  The kids will have supplies, it makes sense.  Why does that make you lose your faith?

When the stay there for a longer time,, where the go toilet? when 13 people are doing that you can image its gone get smelly in there!!

and stuf them full with food, morge waist,,  rats and other nice animals...

23 minutes ago, RBOP said:

I believe that's Fake News. Was speculation from someone. 

No. That is called common sense and forward thinking.

If it does rain heavily the rescue teams may not be able to aaccess the kids for 3 or 4 days or even more. It is always better to have too much on site than not enough.

I believe that there will also be 3 or 4 of the rescue team on site with the boys 24/7 for reassurance and help while they are stuck in there.

7 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

When the stay there for a longer time,, where the go toilet? when 13 people are doing that you can image its gone get smelly in there!!

It's not the Ritz. It's still a survival situation. I'm sure they have thought to bring them whatever hygiene supplies are possible in that environment. 

8 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

We used to use Elson toilets and Racasan. Crap onto a plasic bag. Replace it every day and tie the bag tightly.

This not directed at anyone in particular, but it was a really nice few hours of overwhelming positivity without the bar stool rescue experts belittling the efforts: farangs know better, circus of a rescue, idiotic Thais etc.  TVF has been a really nice place to be for almost 24 hours.  But now it's going to degenerate again during the extrication plans.  It's already starting.....and this could go on for months.  

All good things come to an end I suppose.  But if this rescue goes on long enough even KiwiKiwi and PhuketSarah may forget their shame and join in again - please spare us that.

15 minutes ago, alexlm said:

How did they got stuck there in the first place if they have no idea on how to dive?

Just arrived did you, suggest you go back to the start and have a bit of a read up on the story. 

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

This not directed at anyone in particular, but it was a really nice few hours of overwhelming positivity without the bar stool rescue experts belittling the efforts: farangs know better, circus of a rescue, idiotic Thais etc.  TVF has been a really nice place to be for almost 24 hours.  But now it's going to degenerate again during the extrication plans.  It's already starting.....and this could go on for months.  

All good things come to an end I suppose.  But if this rescue goes on long enough even KiwiKiwi and PhuketSarah may forget their shame and join in again - please spare us that.

Do you really want them back? 

4 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Only need to be in the suit while under water, until the next cavern. Now please, lets leave it there. I have work to do..

If you're too busy, don't reply. I won't be upset.

Just heard they are going to attempt their first extraction tonight.

5 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Rescue - good

Walking deep into a cave that floods - incredibly stupid

Is the coach going to pay for the rescue effort?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

This is why they are sending in 4 months of food...If the waters rise much diving out may cease to be an option at all for some time.

Not only that. Heavy rain will make it impossible to get food and supplies IN. It is essential they get it in as soon as possible now while they have the opportunity... and they need a lot more than just food.

7 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Disagree. Wasn't Prayuth or Prawit who cleared the path for the all out rescue. From what I understand it was the King and his power giving the full support for what ever it took to make it happen. So this administration cannot take a pat on the back. 

I have not your opinion ?

Could we all have a moment to have a Bhuahawahaahaah dance for our late member.. not remembering his or hers name.. that person.. well, let's have a dance for having fun among us. 

11 hours ago, robblok said:

I read about it in one of the news articles that at some passages they had to take the tank off. That gives a good indication of how small the passages are. I like your idea but i don't think its practical in this scenario unless they widen passages. 

What I don't understand is (but I don't know where they exactly are) that they don't drill. Of course if they are too deep under that might take a long time too.

Yes but surely nowhere near 4 months ????

6 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

Yes but surely nowhere near 4 months ????

The 4 months is for the scenario where they decide it's safer just to leave them there until the waters recede and they can walk out.

They're not sure yet whether drilling will even turn out to be feasible/advisable. It's one of the possible alternatives that they're currently looking at.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

No. That is called common sense and forward thinking.

If it does rain heavily the rescue teams may not be able to aaccess the kids for 3 or 4 days or even more. It is always better to have too much on site than not enough.

I believe that there will also be 3 or 4 of the rescue team on site with the boys 24/7 for reassurance and help while they are stuck in there.

Yes. Extraction plan kicks in tomorrow. 

I am no expert but I would surely think that drilling a hole down would be both a much,much quicker way to reach them and surely they can guide the tunnel just far enough away from them or even move them a safe distance from the breakthrough point for a short while.This idea of  4 month course on diving really worries me.How about some of them find that they cannot cope with whole thing especially if they cannot swim.and you are trying to teach a bunch of youngsters a very serious thing to save their lives after already going through hell in that dark environment.That in itself must put a serious damper on their spirits when seeing that first rescuer and thinking it’s all over. Man my feelings of pity is overwhelming for them. if you have to tell them they will have to stay another say 2 weeks till they have a hole to crawl through,please somebody just get on and do it.I am just an old Kiwi but my heart is in that cave with them——- Dougal

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!    (Unless it was to read their apologies)

You can give that a big miss - it could ever happen - too full of self importance. 

Rescuers battled intensifying rain to furiously pump water from a cave in Thailand on Tuesday, Reuters reports. 

Seven members of a Thai navy SEALS unit, including a medic and a counsellor, are staying with the group after its dramatic discovery on an elevated rock late on Monday.

Rear Admiral Apakorn Yuukongkaew, commander of the SEALS unit, said rain was still a challenge but the boys would be taken out safely as soon as sufficient water could be pumped out of the cave.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/thailand-cave-rescue-news-live-updates-from-tham-luang-as-families-waiting-of-news-of-12-missing-a3876536.html

14 minutes ago, Torrens54 said:

Just hope the “Geniuses” tasked with getting them out, have the sense to consult with and follow the advice of those WHO KNOW what they’re doing.

I feel confident enough that they'll be in touch with ThaiVisas international cave rescue team before the end of the week.

"We have seen no name-calling or finger-pointing.

We have heard no griping, based on nothing, that this nation or that nation has an unfair advantage.

Nobody has singled out anybody based on race or religion.

No nation has made big promises and then reneged.

We have seen only an admirable international community coming together, a spirited joint effort, for the sake of 12 boys on a soccer team and their coach.

And now we pray this story has a happy ending."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/disaster-thailand-cave-best-nations-cooperation/

12 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

From another source the head of the US cave rescue commision indicated the problems with drilling would be; 

The need to construct roads, infrastructure to get drilling rigs in.

Surely they could fly a drilling rig in with a skylift...

Archived