Thai boys trapped in cave to be given 4 months of food and taught how to dive

webfact

Well by now they've at least brought in some better lights than the boys probably had with them to shine up there.

They're probably wearing those seals out humping in supplies, but I doubt a ladder was on the list. You probably meant someone with rock climbing skills, but it's limestone, so I don't know how safe that would be.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following on from the report on Thai TV this morning:

As Thai navy seals continue to give their crash courses in swimming and diving to the 12 schoolboys and their soccer coach trapped in a cave, it’s been revealed there may be another way out.

Rescue teams initially didn’t plan to rush the boys and their coach out, but heavy rains forecasted for later this week are threatening to push forward those plans.

But the boys have now told rescue teams, including expert diver Claus Rasmussen, that during their nine days trapped in the Tham Luang Nang Non cave in northern Chiang Rai, they have heard dogs barking, roosters crowing and children playing.

According to CNN, crews are now looking at if there is a hidden passage that they may be able to access rather than the incredibly dangerous alternative – a crash course in scuba diving.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/rescuers-look-hidden-passage-boys-trapped-cave-say-can-hear-animals-213826791.html

4 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Your ears play tricks on you when it's absolutely pitch dark.  They're 800m underground... Even if it was a straight shaft to the surface they'd be unlikely to hear anything.... Or have the seals managed to hear the cocks crowing as well?

Scorted by their coach/former monk for 10 days probably is the reason those kids still in good shape emotionally.....but that will change if they need to be in that situation for 4 months. I am afraid that the foreign divers decided not to stay longer to be part of the rescue because they believe that it is not possible diving those kids out without a big risk. I am afraid also that Thai divers may do it taking the chance of a sad accident. Big dilemma. Pray for not rain for a week and bigger pumps to dry the cove.

From what I understand the 2 UK guys are still there - probably getting some well earned rest, while the Thai divers get on with teaching the boys how to use the BA sets. 

I would have thought the UK guys would take at least the first kid out, since I'm sure they've done similar before, and there's no language barrier when underwater.. Once the method is proven, the Thai seals can continue... But remember if they do 1 at a time, and wait for each one to get right out, it'll take at least 5x13, or 65 hours to complete.. 

Best idea so far! They should know to influx to the cave by now, and manage enough capasity to pull this trough! I know it is weather depended, but at least after rain, it takes days before that will have any influence todays level, so at least some timing is possible to calculate! 

9hsw66gM_bigger.jpg

Official in charge of cave communication tells me plan is to float the boys out in life jackets once there is enough room for their heads between the surface and the cave ceiling

Each boy will be floated along by two Navy Seals

They want to avoid diving as much as possible

•  
  •  

3 hours ago, steve73 said:

From what I understand the 2 UK guys are still there - probably getting some well earned rest, while the Thai divers get on with teaching the boys how to use the BA sets. 

I would have thought the UK guys would take at least the first kid out, since I'm sure they've done similar before, and there's no language barrier when underwater.. Once the method is proven, the Thai seals can continue... But remember if they do 1 at a time, and wait for each one to get right out, it'll take at least 5x13, or 65 hours to complete.. 

It depends on how many SEALs they have available that that have actually done the trip to where the boys are and back again. Don't forget the extra personnel who are also with the boys as they may need assistance too even though they can swim with scuba gear.

14 hours ago, pathologix said:

Wow.... seriously? Thai officials have been praised by experts around the word for organising one of the most complex cave rescues ever seen. But don't let facts get in the way of your racism.

You keep your disgusting racism comments to yourself.  I never said anything about a race, and I don't think Thais are considered a race.  I think Thais are wonderful people and I have visited the Kingdom over a dozen times.  But that doesn't mean I think they are great Industrial engineers or that their societal structure lends itself to good large project administration.    If you think Thais are in general good organizers of complex things, well, you obviously haven't paid much attention to much of their countries infrastructure.  Ever seen the Pattaya Sewage treatment plant?

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

You keep your disgusting racism comments to yourself.  I never said anything about a race, and I don't think Thais are considered a race.  I think Thais are wonderful people and I have visited the Kingdom over a dozen times.  But that doesn't mean I think they are great Industrial engineers or that their societal structure lends itself to good large project administration.    If you think Thais are in general good organizers of complex things, well, you obviously haven't paid much attention to much of their countries infrastructure.  Ever seen the Pattaya Sewage treatment plant?

I am sorry but my response to another post is :offtopic: :sorry:

Have you seen the AIS, DTAC and True mobile phone network? I helped on those in the early stages in the mid 1990s with Motorola and we did a transfer of technology and OJT which worked very well.

Do you use a fibre optic for your computer connection internet package, TV connection etc. 99% was built by Thais.

And yes they are good organisers of complex structures and systems.

How about the car and motorcycle factories in the Chon Buri/Pattaya and Ayuthaya area. They seem to be well run too.

Perhaps not all of them all of the time but the west is similar in so many ways too.

They do understand Thailands infrastructure.

On 7/5/2018 at 8:12 AM, Gandtee said:

Obviously you haven't read the reports. Some of the passages have to be wriggled through as they are so narrow. Certainly 'walking' through is out of the question.

Yes, I'm up to date now. Thanks!

I just hope the authorities/ the divers etc too, all have kept mum;

and not let the kids know that someone has already died.

... not for that fact the diver died for/or because of them, 

but

that they'd become frantic in the thought that, if an experienced diver can die; then what hope would/could they themselves have, as novices to diving!

On 7/5/2018 at 3:46 PM, steve73 said:

BA sets, you mean SCUBA right? 

16 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

R.I.P

R.I.P.

Now there must be multi-pronged methods used to access the cave system to rescue/recover these boys. No use trying one method and then discarding it and moving onto another. All options - even those with what seems very little chance of success - must be tried. Time is now the "enemy". :sad:

SpaceX & Boring Co engineers headed to Thailand tomorrow to see if we can be helpful to govt. There are probably many complexities that are hard to appreciate without being there in person.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 6, 2018

Maybe worth trying: insert a 1m diameter nylon tube (or shorter set of tubes for most difficult sections) through cave network & inflate with air like a bouncy castle. Should create an air tunnel underwater against cave roof & auto-conform to odd shapes like the 70cm hole.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 6, 2018

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/06/asia/thai-cave-rescue-elon-musk-intl/index.html

Now that it's obvious that the risks involved in rescuing the trapped boys by diving is apparent with the tragic death of an expert navy seal diver. Maybe they should wait and try another option for extracting the 13. Elon Musks ideas seem pretty good ones except that the cave will be flooded when the monsoon arrives tomorrow. Couldn't they just bore a hole down into the tunnel instead? This sounds the safest option to me. Elon owns a boreing company, ask him, I'm sure he'd love to help.

The boring option has been being explored from the outset but thus far they have not yet identified a viable spot to bore (granted, for much of the time they did not know exactly where the boys are in the cave; they still AFAIK do not know the exact corresponding spot on the surface to where they are). They are still looking into it and, unless they end up taking them out before the rains get bad I expect they'll continue to do so.

Even once they have a clear idea where to best drill, this is not something that can be done quickly. It could take many weeks, even months depending ion how far they have to drill and the nature of the rock.

Nor is it without risk. Cave-ins/rock slides, raining debris down on the boys etc.

All the options have significant  risks.

Thai Navy seal died because he gambled on his air! He went out of his limits! Thats my understanding of his death! Sorry to be harsh, but experienced have to follow prococoll to! Same in extreme sport, most of those who die is experienced who is pushing their limits to the outter edge. He wanted to be a hero, announcing before he left Bangkok, and died on his duty he promissed to save life,,,,,, rip

I just hope the authorities/ the divers etc too, all have kept mum;

and not let the kids know that someone has already died.

... not for that fact the diver died for/or because of them, 

but

that they'd become frantic in the thought that, if an experienced diver can die; then what hope would/could they themselves have, as novices to diving!

I thought of the exact same thing but there is a caveat. Suppose the info leaks somehow then they will learn of the deception and that could be even worse for morale. More of an issue if they get the family phone connection in which I haven't heard they did yet or maybe dropped in priority for understandable reasons.

It's also understandable why the world is focused on their plight.

You'd almost have to be a fiction writer to imagine so many counterbalancing elements of danger and then you add heroic divers and trapped underground children. I wish it wasn't real.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thai Navy seal died because he gambled on his air! He went out of his limits! Thats my understanding of his death! Sorry to be harsh, but experienced have to follow prococoll to! Same in extreme sport, most of those who die is experienced who is pushing their limits to the outter edge. He wanted to be a hero, announcing before he left Bangkok, and died on his duty he promissed to save life,,,,,, rip

Where have you heard this and what exactly? I have not seen any announcement re cause of death.

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Does not say anything about him in any way deviating from protocol. Says he died from "lack of air", which this and all the other news outlet reports are getting from the original deputy governor announcement. This  to my understanding was made prior to any investigation into cause of death.

I think the most definitive report is what is posted by the Navy Seals which stated the facts (found unconscious, where) and that cause needs to be carefully ascertained.

It certainly should nto be assumed that this man did anything himself to cause this unless/until so proven.

16 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Its really a challenging situation. Hopefully the desperate diving course idea now comes to an end and rather focus on and to secure airsupply, food and medicine when the cave is still accessable.

Hopefully the rainfall will reduce in scale so they get the window needed to reduce the water level enough to make it possible to exit the different Chambers without diving.The risk is high to be trapped between 2 chambers since the route is long and time consuming and of the same reason safe planning is a must. Its better to stay another weeks or months in the Cave at the present location to secure a safe exit later on rather than to rush and risk lives... 

37 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/06/asia/thai-cave-rescue-elon-musk-intl/index.html

Now that it's obvious that the risks involved in rescuing the trapped boys by diving is apparent with the tragic death of an expert navy seal diver. Maybe they should wait and try another option for extracting the 13. Elon Musks ideas seem pretty good ones except that the cave will be flooded when the monsoon arrives tomorrow. Couldn't they just bore a hole down into the tunnel instead? This sounds the safest option to me. Elon owns a boreing company, ask him, I'm sure he'd love to help.

He has offered to help already. I'm surprised the offer hasn't been taken up. His company have the know how and the equipment apparently. An offer too good to refuse. Time is of the essence!

RT @ CNN

Tech billionaire Elon Musk is sending SpaceX and Boring Company engineers to Thailand to help aid the rescue of the 12 boys and their football coach trapped in a cave

everyone who have worked offshore know how complicated  drilling will be! The rig, the placement, the pumps, the need off drilling fluids, type of crone, waight, pipes, casings, cement, etc etc. I can promise you, drilling is out of question. The best they can do, is to get the biggest plounger pumps they can get and pump the shit out of the cave to keep the waterlevel down, and hope someone find an entrence close enough to the boys to get them out safe!

Archived