Thai boys trapped in cave to be given 4 months of food and taught how to dive

webfact

I have a probably crazy idea about a way to raise money to help the volunteers, families, and the boys themselves to heal.

Perhaps a particularly clean NGO or something like that could produce football player cards of all the trapped boys and sell them globally not for profit but to help. Too crass?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, RBOP said:

"We have seen no name-calling or finger-pointing.

We have heard no griping, based on nothing, that this nation or that nation has an unfair advantage.

Nobody has singled out anybody based on race or religion.

No nation has made big promises and then reneged.

We have seen only an admirable international community coming together, a spirited joint effort, for the sake of 12 boys on a soccer team and their coach.

And now we pray this story has a happy ending."

https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/disaster-thailand-cave-best-nations-cooperation/

Yet the coach could be jailed and rightly so.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I have a probably crazy idea about a way to raise money to help the volunteers, families, and the boys themselves to heal.

Perhaps a particularly clean NGO or something like that could produce football player cards of all the trapped boys and sell them globally not for profit but to help. Too crass?

You are right, that's a stupid idea. 

Nobody cares of the money at this point. Everyone cares that these kids find their way to home.

There are already the best rescue divers at the site. They will find the best ideas, regardless of your 'great idea' of pushing money to the equation.

So, no. That's the answer to your utterly selfish publication. 

What’s selfish about it?

It may indeed not be a great idea but that member's over the top hostility smells more like a personal attack on me rather than the idea. Of course money isn't the point but many of the people that rushed up there aren't funded by their governments. It shouldn't cost them to do good deeds like that. I think the boys might like it too to be on player cards. Just put it out there is all.

5 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

so drilling is no option - ?

It's probably too soon to write that off completely, even if the news video didn't talk about it. I would guess that there's a "drill team" working the drill angle, even if that's plan C at this point. They'll work that angle in order to be able to present their best alternative to the rescue leader. If there are no roads, they'll look into air lifts for getting in rigs. If they can't drill to the chamber the boys are in they'll look into drilling to the next chamber over. They'll have geologists that can assess the risk of cave-ins and perhaps veto drilling as an option, but they'll be some experts working that angle. Even a small tube going down to the  boys would be helpful as they could use it to communicate and supply them with fresh air and other supplies.

The situation is unique in that they have access to where the boys are trapped, unlike typical mine rescues where there is no access at all. So they can take in devices to where the boys are that send a signal and put them on the roof of the cave exactly where they want to drill to and triangulate on that signal from the surface.

Unless drilling at all is deemed to risky due to cave-ins (I no nothing about geology),  I'd be surprised if they can't drill a small pipe to them in a week or two, and I bet the drill team comes up with some kind of a plan option to get them out sooner than October.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

It may indeed not be a great idea but that members hostility smells more like a personal attack on me rather than the idea. Of course money isn't the point but many of the people that rushed up there aren't funding by their governments. It shouldn't cost them to do good deeds like that. I think the boys might like it too to be on player cards. Just put it out there is all.

Yes it was a strange response. Not sure why he would accuse you of being selfish. 

12 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Good thing is they are safe and they will be out way sooner than any elections will ever take place. yes, had to throw it in there. 

33 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Yet the coach could be jailed and rightly so.

31 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Get a life. 

29 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Get a clue.

Yes - Prayut  is not an elected PM but he is better then at least some of other Thai PM before him.

Yes - the coach was careless - only 25 himself - to young - to think good enough before go in near the raining season and rain before.

He surely felt very miserable in the last 10 days about all already and is surely a different person now, 

whatever the outcome is.

BUT - both to discuss later - unnecessary now!

Be all happy they found them in time and we all should hope for a completely Happy Ending. ?

I was there at the cave today - 

I passed by yesterday late afternoon also, on the other Myanmar border side and

I hoped my visit will bring them luck.

I was successful ?

20180703_141146.jpg

7 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Such helmets only work as long as one's head  is facing upwards, otherwise the air escapes and water enters.

I understand that would be the case in deep water environments but would it also be true in relatively shallow, low pressure environments?

7 hours ago, phetpeter said:

perhaps time to get some 25-30 ins blue plastic pipe delivered!

I think too many narrow passages, sharp turns and rises. Otherwise that might be a good idea and they could "shoot the pig" capsule through an airtight pipeline.

50 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

It's probably too soon to write that off completely, even if the news video didn't talk about it. I would guess that there's a "drill team" working the drill angle, even if that's plan C at this point. They'll work that angle in order to be able to present their best alternative to the rescue leader. If there are no roads, they'll look into air lifts for getting in rigs. If they can't drill to the chamber the boys are in they'll look into drilling to the next chamber over. They'll have geologists that can assess the risk of cave-ins and perhaps veto drilling as an option, but they'll be some experts working that angle. Even a small tube going down to the  boys would be helpful as they could use it to communicate and supply them with fresh air and other supplies.

The situation is unique in that they have access to where the boys are trapped, unlike typical mine rescues where there is no access at all. So they can take in devices to where the boys are that send a signal and put them on the roof of the cave exactly where they want to drill to and triangulate on that signal from the surface.

Unless drilling at all is deemed to risky due to cave-ins (I no nothing about geology),  I'd be surprised if they can't drill a small pipe to them in a week or two, and I bet the drill team comes up with some kind of a plan option to get them out sooner than October.

As I understand it, there are no accurate maps of the caves and it's been surmised that drilling could finish 100 metres from where it was intended.  The UK are currently assessing some electronic equipment that may be able to map the caves and surround accurately. 

3 minutes ago, oilinki said:

You know, I have option "show this post", which I use frequently to make sure I didn't make a mistake.

I made the correct choice. This is funny. 

I’m happy to be ignored pal seriously. 

Lets move on with the important subject of the boys recovery. 

1. Where are the boys? Special-purpose divers found the 13 missing deep in the underground cave system Tham Luang Nang Non, north of Thailand on Monday. They had gathered in the dark on a rock shelf, slightly raised above the water masses that kept them trapped for a week and a half. According to the divers, the boys should be between two to four kilometers in and about one kilometer below the surface of the Doi Nang Non mountain. The huge cave system of about ten kilometers consists of many narrow and hilly tunnels. Heavy rain has filled large parts of the cave with mud water. At first, the assistants thought the boys found themselves in a cave area called Pattaya Beach. As this area was flooded, the divers continued to find the 12 boys and the coach on the mountain shelf. 2. What are the rescue options? 1. Teaching them to dive Special-purpose divers can bring in gear and teach the boys to dive. It is estimated to use whole diving masks, which should be easier to breathe with than a nozzle. The experienced divers can then follow the boys as they swim from room to room inside the cave system by following a diving line. In an air pocket on the road, there are now extra bottles of oxygen and other necessary diving gear they need in the various stages on the long way out. In this case, the boys must learn to use advanced diving equipment, and take out the same complex, narrow cave paths that the marine divers spent several days getting into. 2. Waiting for the water to retreat This option assumes that the divers carry more food, light and other necessary equipment to the boys, pending enough water to either pump out or that the water retracts. The divers already work to carry more supplies with food and medicines, which may last for several months if necessary. 3. To drill a new entrance into the mountain While searching in the cave, experts with dogs explore mountainside from outside, hoping to find alternative entries to the boys. Helicopters have flown over the mountain to try to find the exact position of the group Equipment to tease or blow into the caves is in place, in case. Search 3. What is the risk associated with the options? The safest option is likely to wait for the water to sink. At the same time, there is a great risk of being left because it is reported even more heavy rain for the weekend. Even now, more water comes into the already flooded cave than the rescue crew manages to pump out. If the water level in the cave rises, the boys may risk staying in caves ranging from several days to, worst cases, months when the rainy season is due in October. To blow an alternative entrance into the mountain, according to the news agency Ap take a long time. According to the divers who found the boys, they are in a relatively small place, making it very difficult to drill. The quickest option is enough to make the boys swim out. At the same time, this is considered to be the most dangerous option. The British and Thai elites spent several days finding missing ones. According to the BBC, the divers had to travel through a 1.5 kilometer long underground passage, alternately filled with water. The dives had to pull through narrow caves in strong currents and brown waters without a particular sight. Ben Reymenants, who is part of the rescue operation, said to several British media that the boys are too weak at the moment to cope with such a dive after spending ten days without food. 4. How really are the boys able to dive out of the cave? A rescue mission where the boys must dive will be very difficult. In addition to learning to dive, extra oxygen is needed along the way, and that you get attached divertau and lightning sticks along the way, writes the news agency Ap. Dive expert Bill Whitehouse in the British Cave Rescue Council tells the BBC that there is additional risk associated with diving in caves: "When diving in open water, you can at least get to the surface if something goes wrong. If you are 300 meters inside a cave and something goes wrong, you have to swim 300 meters back before you can put your head over water. According to Whitehouse, a rescue action that means the boys dive will be very difficult, but not impossible. "One can imagine a method of" packing up "the children as the divers have brought in emergency equipment. With a full face mask, an experienced diver can keep up with the boys

I saw a video just now of the Belgium diver from Phuket who has been part of the rescue mission. He said the water has gotten much lower and the Navy Admiral in charge will decide in the morning whether to try an exist then. 

1 minute ago, pegman said:

I saw a video just now of the Belgium diver from Phuket who has been part of the rescue mission. He said the water has gotten much lower and the Navy Admiral in charge will decide in the morning whether to try an exist then. 

Really? The boys are clearly not even close to being ready for that. I would be very surprised if they start diving the boys out very soon. But on the other hand if they don't dive out soon enough before the water rises from heavy rains ...

Sadly these boys are not nearly out of the woods (cave) yet.

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Really? The boys are clearly not even close to being ready for that. I would be very surprised if they start diving the boys out very soon. But on the other hand if they don't dive out soon enough before the water rises from heavy rains ...

Sadly these boys are not nearly out of the woods (cave) yet.

I wonder if when the really heavy consistent rains hit that water could backup into where the boys are sheltered? 

https://pattayaone.news/en/video-news-theyre-all-alive-interview-with-one-rescuer/

There is no way they are going to learn to swim/dive. By what I can gather the most logical and likely way to get them out is to get them comfortable using the masks to breath, wrap them up so they can't do damage if they panic, fix weights to them, and then transport them through the system like they would move equipment.

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

This not directed at anyone in particular, but it was a really nice few hours of overwhelming positivity without the bar stool rescue experts belittling the efforts: farangs know better, circus of a rescue, idiotic Thais etc.  TVF has been a really nice place to be for almost 24 hours.  But now it's going to degenerate again during the extrication plans.  It's already starting.....and this could go on for months.  

All good things come to an end I suppose.  But if this rescue goes on long enough even KiwiKiwi and PhuketSarah may forget their shame and join in again - please spare us that.

be nice if u gave it a rest also eh?

Obviously the four months they mention is pegged to the end of the rain season, and so an arbitrary (and maximum) timescale. What's not been commented on and is likely not really known is how much water levels actually fluctuate deep within the caves during the wet season - how long does it take to drain in the event of a period of minimal rainfall, how much more inundated do the caves become if it worsens? What amount of pumping and drainage would be sufficient to make passages passable? The multi-pronged plan they're following sounds eminently sensible, and there's no question that having the kids fed again and medically supervised, as well as in communication with the outside world is a massive leap forward from the situation of a couple of days ago, even if the situation looks likely to drag on for some time. 

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think that is a good idea.

But more than this, I think the Thai Government  - and certain Great Individuals with bottomless pockets - could EASILY fund any and all needs of the boys, their families and the wonderful rescuers when the time comes.

But we are not allowed to say too much here ...

11 minutes ago, Eligius said:

...But we are not allowed to say too much here ...

I would study the flight plans of folks like the Red Bull Kid and Yingluck.  They got out of deep doo-doo very quickly.

15 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I think that is a good idea.

But more than this, I think the Thai Government  - and certain Great Individuals with bottomless pockets - could EASILY fund any and all needs of the boys, their families and the wonderful rescuers when the time comes.

But we are not allowed to say too much here ...

Behind the scene I believe there is / has been a fair bit done - - without being too specific..... 

Archived