VIDEO: Cop opens fire on pick up truck in Pattaya

snoop1130

VIDEO: Cop opens fire on pick up truck in Pattaya

Untitled.png

A dramatic video shows the moment a policeman opens fire in broad daylight on a fleeing pick up truck.

The clip, which was shared to the WeLovePattaya Facebook page, shows the policeman chasing after the pick up on foot after it had failed to stop at a routine check point.

The vehicle can then be seen turning around and driving back into oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road as other motorists and members of the public look on.

The incident, which saw the policeman fire two shots in an attempt to take out the truck’s tires, took place close to the Esso gas station on Sukhumvit Pattaya 20 in Banglamung district on Tuesday.

The truck managed to get away and drove off in the direction of Sattahip. Police are still searching for the driver.

The report said that no one was injured but some vehicles were damaged as the pick truck sped off from police.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-7-3

wild east!.lack of police training!

Police should have set a  barricade on Sukhumwit rd. about 1 km down with a couple of police cars instead of shooting at this oncoming vehicle at high speed and risking the stopped vehicles with a head-on crash, stray bullet or being run over by this vehicle himself.

I notice, there seems to be plenty of time to radio additional units down the road to set that road block and/or a spike strip.

This situation could have been handled better in The U.S. with its experienced cops with better gear and vehicles.

Edited by pattayadude
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

What an utter donut the pickup driver is .. The Old Bill should've had one of these instead of a handgun ..

IMG_20180703_160622.jpg

Oh come on now ! How many movies have you seen where someone (usually the "bad guy") fires a rocket or a missile at someone, who is able to not only see it coming but identify the type of rocket/missile and then do an evasive manoeuvre at the last second ?

It literally happens in almost every "action" movie these days, like the latest "Furious 8" (or whatever it's called) where the submarine fires a missile at the good guys and one of them is able to look in his rear view mirror and identify the type of missile that was fired ("that's a Heat Seeker") and then another guy is able to outrun it in his car, getting the missile to follow his heat signature until he can miraculously jump over the same submarine that fired the missile !

Surely all Thai drivers are capable of at least the same degree of missile recognition and avoidance ! 

Of course the Thai police could invest in those "special" homing missiles that are capable of locking on a target and following it anywhere - without ever actually catching up to it and exploding of course. Unless it's tricked into tracking the "bad guys" who fired it in which case they are goners no matter what they do. Or killer drones that can fly through the streets of a major city and effortlessly find, catch up to and fire missiles at whoever the operator picks !

The TOW Anti-tank missiles I trained on in the 80's travel around 280-320 meters - per - second. That's about 1,000-1,100 kms/hr. After the missile leaves the tube the flight motor kicks in and burns for 1 second. That is enough to propel the missile to a target over 3 kms away. The furthest I've shot was 3,300 meters (direct hit - in the dark - got to love thermal sights) !

You can not see the missile at all after the flight motor has burned, not even in broad daylight. It is travelling too fast.
An M-72 LAW (Light Anti-tank Weapon) rocket travels at about 145 meters/second (that's still around 522 kms/hr and no, you can't see the rocket after it has launched either).
A LAW has a range of around 200 meters. That means it takes about 1.5 seconds for it to reach it's target. Ain't no way you are seeing it and doing any kind of tricky manoeuvre to avoid it in time.

It would be the same thing for the RPG round in the picture. It is a 2-stage rocket. One rocket motor burns, launching the rocket out approx 10 meters from the tube. Then a 2nd rocket motor burns, accelerating the rocket to around 300 metres/sec. A highspeed camera can catch an image of the round after it has been launched, but to anyone watching with the naked eye, they'll hear the "whoomph" when it is fired and all they'll see is the puff of smoke and flame and then the big "BOOM" downrange when the round hits it's target
At it's maximum effective range of 500 metres (against stationary targets), it'd take just under 2 seconds to hit from the time it's fired.

Plenty of time for a guy in a white pick-up truck to make 2 or 3 tricky moves, stop for a bowl of som tam and then drive over to meet the mia noi while the rocket gets tricked into coming straight back at the cop who fired it !

Edited by Kerryd
Doh ! Spelt the same word wrong 3 times !

3 hours ago, pattayadude said:

that's when police training should kick in.

I'd say his training did kick in. He drew his weapon and fired at the vehicle. Probably only got 2 shots off as it wasn't safe to keep firing.

I have no doubts they probably did radio it in but in that area there are dozens of sois someone could have turned off on and headed away in a totally different direction. I see that at least one cop was giving chase on a scooter. Kind of surprised they weren't able to catch him (unless something happened to the cop in pursuit).

Just past where the video stops is a spot where the pickup could have crossed back into the southbound lanes and there are a lot of sois he could have turned into long before he got to the Highway 7 overpass area.

They'll probably catch him soon enough. I remember one case where someone reported their white car was stolen and police apparently found it within a couple of hours. I was amazed because it looked like almost every other little white 4 door car out there and couldn't figure out how they'd tracked that one so quickly.

Of course, we may never actually hear if they ever find the truck (and driver). And maybe no one will ever hear from the driver again either...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pattayadude said:

I notice, there seems to be plenty of time to radio additional units down the road to set that road block and/or a spike strip.

First trip to Thailand is it ???

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, LennyW said:

Shooting the prick through the front window would have been an easier target!!

Drug courier scum for sure!

No evidence of him being either. If he was then I'm glad he got away. The laws are too harsh here and prison conditions inhuman. Perhaps the authorities should take a leaf out of Canada's book or Spain or Portugal or many American states. The cop should be prosecuted for endangering the public by reckless discharge of a weapon in a public space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The manic said:

No evidence of him being either. If he was then I'm glad he got away. The laws are too harsh here and prison conditions inhuman. Perhaps the authorities should take a leaf out of Canada's book or Spain or Portugal or many American states. The cop should be prosecuted for endangering the public by reckless discharge of a weapon in a public space.

Totally agree. Thank you.

• Like 1